Download File Post Review Post Comment

ACSC07 - Jesus in Gethsemane

Author File Description
John_G
File Details
Screenshot:
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Jesus in Gethsemane
This is a short cut-scene (about 13-14 min) showing Jesus in Gethsemane, the night before his death on the cross.

-----------------------------------------
The story:

The scenario begins with Jesus and his disciples going into garden of Gethsemane, which lies just outside the city of Jerusalem. Jesus who had lived all his life in Gods presence now have to suffer a dark night carrying the sins of the whole human race. As it was written: "the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all".

The following morning Jesus was captured and about to be put to death on a cross by some judish leaders who saw Jesus as a liar and heretic. But Jesus had told his disciples three time the last week that this had to happen. Jesus know he had to suffer death, because it was Gods will. But be not afriad, I am to rise from death the third day, Jesus also said.

-----------------------------------------
Update

April 2009
. Edited the music to be louder
. Made the dialogs and scenes faster
. Made a new ending
. Worked on the arrest scene
. Put in a new music sling.

/John_G
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
****This cut-scene came 8th in the Age of Kings Cut-scene Contest 2007.****

This cut-scene was interestingly done, and the music was excellent. The intended effect of slow scenes was done well, but probably some places could have been sped up, just a bit. Overall a nicely made cut-scene, with room for improvement.
Constantine12 Sounds very interesting, will download and give feedback!
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Pacing5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
It played fine, except that you must have all Players' Teams set to "-".
The first few times I ran it, my setting was for Players 1 and 4 to be on Team 1 and Teams and 2 and 3 to be on Team 2, and the Scenario didn't work. What happened was that when the disciples were waiting for Jesus, there were three disciples but Jesus wasn't shown there. His words said to wait and then nothing else happened.

So I "beat" it on Moderate, but it would have worked the same on other Difficulties. I started one on Hard and it was running fine too, with Jesus showing up as He was supposed to.

Pacing: 5
Most of it felt slightly slow, but some parts like Jesus praying and the final end scene were fine with the slowness. It came to about 13 and a half minutes, so you can tell that it took awhile probably. On the other hand, the timing pace with Jesus' arrest, particularly with Jesus and Peter having dialogues with the soldiers around the time of Peter's attack went too fast for me to read all the text the first time through.

Still, none of this really made the timing "bad" per se, and it's probably tough to make the pace perfect.

Creativity: 5
This had excellent creativity, with top use of triggers to make different scenes, actions (like Peter attacking a soldier), and dialogues.

A constructive criticism could have been that the author could have had an angel figure come be with Jesus when He goes to pray, like in the Biblical story. I kept half expecting an angel to come join Jesus in one of the prayer scenes.

Map Design: 5
The map was well done, with good use of grass and fences and rocks, and the scene of the city of Jerusalem after getting a victory screen was a nice touch.

My main suggestion for Map Design is to use one of the Cross mods for the end scene. Clearly the Designer was aiming to have the poles represent the crosses. But there are actually at least two cross mods that he could have used. One of them you can find here, called "Crucified man(cross)":
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=5195
Another one is the Roman Crosses Mod for the AOK HD version on Steam:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=724197727&searchtext=cross

The use of a flag pole did not really ruin the end scene, it could just be done better.

My main question or curiosity about the Map Design is that after the Victory announcement, the screen reveals the rest of the map and it shows that there are various other scenes spread around the map. For instance, in the south of the main city, there is what looks like a possible Palm Sunday entrance area. In the southwest of the city, it looks like there is a Last Supper type room or plaza, and in the north it looks like there is a plaza with animals like the scene of driving out the moneychangers. Above that there is a scene with a Jesus type villager by a castle, maybe representing Jesus' detention. Then in the far east, there is a scene that looks like it is the resurrection, with a tomb like area and people standing around Jesus.

I don't know if the designer originally planned to do different events of Holy Week in Jerusalem, or else just that he put those scenes around as a kind of series of bonus mini series.

Story/Instructions: 5
The Instructions were good as to where to put the files. However, I want to add that I played on the Steam HD version and so the Sound files have to go in the Age2HD/Resources/en/Sound/Scenario folder on your computer, which is different if you have the normal version of AOK.

In the Editor, it says that scenariobkg is the Background image. But no picture showed up in the instruction screen, other than a rather blank, papyrus-colored square. I don't know if the designer actually created an image for the opening instruction screen.

I suggest turning Music Off. This is because the Scenario has its own music score that you hear by installing the sound files. The instructions should have said to do this.

Additional Comments:
Historically, Gethsemane in the Biblical events, as well as the Crucifixion, would have had some kind of Aramaic, or Palestinian, or "1st century Jewish" or even Greek flavor, due to Hellenization. Accidentally, my music was playing the Steam Workshop Mod that sets in Byzantine music, so that accident was a nice touch.
In contrast, the Designer has the Player be the Britons and this setting automatically made the Scenario load with the game's default brief medieval English score. Plus, the last musical score that you downloaded with the game sounded like a Catholic (or maybe High Anglo-Catholic) service with British choir voices and a British priest or cantor. This did not make it "bad", and actually the music was pretty good. I am just making a constructive criticism that picking Byzantines or Saracens would have been better IMO. In AOE1, the Designer could have picked the Phoenicians or Assyrians, which would have been ideal.

[Edited on 11/12/20 @ 07:22 AM]

rakovsky Using the Crucified Man(cross) Mod, I added crosses in the end scene in place of the flags that were meant as crosses, and I titled my changed version as "Version 2".

Here is where you can find Version 2 for AOE2:TC 1.0C (not HD or DE):
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=13688

Here you can find it for the AOE2 HD Steam Edition:
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=13649

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating