Germania

Author File Description
a Byzantine
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
GERMANIC FORESTS

Description:
In the gloom of the German forests the massive Germanic army marced against your Coort.You, Duximal Claudius must run to a nearby City and task the 2nd Coorh to attack the Germans before is too late.

The campaign has only one scenario and it is about a battle really like the "Gladiator's" one.Also there are descriptions and some sound files for the campaign.AI included within the campaign.

NOTE:You will need the latest Rome at War Mod Pack to play the campaign correctly.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rodrim Original, fast & fun to play it

Thanks for the posting!!
Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance1.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Germania is a single scenario, a FF. You play the Romans invading the forests of the Germanic tribes.

PLAYABILITY: The scenario starts with a cut-scene, but the playable part is no fun. You travel long journeys to gather more units, to get another objective and win easy. 1

BALANCE: I played the scenario on hard; there was no challenge, not one reload. You win all fights by placing your units near the enemy and watch, do not bother using your mouse during battle. 1

CREATIVITY: All aspects of the game rate in the category and I found the use of sound files to be creative. 2-

MAP DESIGN: The best part of the scenario. The map is flat grass one, but the forests are walk-able and done with a small brush. 2+

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS: You receive clear objective and hints. The scenario enacts the opening of the movie Gladiator, which is not a reference as the movie accounts for more than hundred historical errors. 3

OVERALL: Too easy for the experienced player.

SUGGESTIONS: For a better playability and balance, you should add enemy units along the way and for the battles.

[Edited on 11/26/08 @ 09:28 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
It was very Playable because I beat it on HARD following the instructions.

Balance: 5
I was divided between a 4 and a 5 here. A potential weakness in terms of Balance is that it is fixed force, and playing even on Hard, I handily beat it.

The most challenging part was the battle in the SE section where Duximal took alot of hits and was mostly gone in his health so I had to make him retreat. But even that battle was not going to get lost. One important goal there is to keep your archers protected. In general, one thing that helped me alot was pressing the pause button and commanding my troops so that I could micromanage the battles, like having cavalry attack archers and having archers attack other archers while protected by legions.

When you are playing with a fixed force, it may be hard to design a challenging scenario in terms of balance, because the balance is already pre-set by the designer. And the designer wants correctly to make something that is not balanced against the player so that he can't win it.

I have alot of experience with AOK single Player scenarios, so maybe for this reason it was not very challenging. But it was not really bad, because it's the ones that are too hard that I dislike in terms of balance.

Creativity: 5
It was pretty creative to have the two Green bases, one were you make reports and another where you get troops. And there were five other spots on the map with different kinds of action like battles or getting troops. Plus there was a decent dose of dialogue.

Map Design: 4
I thought that the forest paths themselves were long and boring. You could add a hint that the Player can make a shortcut through the woods from the catapult battle in the east back to Patricius after he is done the battle. Otherwise it's a long route back.

Story/Instructions: 4
The Hints say that the Roman Fort can give you help. If you go to the upper right Blue fort with your general, nothing happens... So there could have been a hint clarifying that you don't get any troops from the Blue Fort until you see Patricius. The potential confusion occurs because the road to the Blue fort veers off the main road before the road to Patricius does.

The Story begins "In the 8st and 9nd centuries..." It must mean the 1st and 2nd centuries... The instructions talk about the Germans attacking a "coort". This is a rare spelling of "court", but the Designer means cohort.

Additional Comments:
I liked the scenario.

On HARD, I went to the Green base and met Patricius, then went to the Blue fort in the north and got 15 soldiers, then got more soldiers from the green south base. Then I took the path along the SE edge of the map and there was a big group of purple soldiers who took out a chunk of my force.

I don't know if the Designer meant this as a version of the Gladiator movie's opening battle, so that this scenario is basically supposed to happen around that year 180 AD. But it seems like the Designer just meant it to be in the 1st-2nd centuries AD.

[Edited on 11/07/20 @ 09:41 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0