Download File Post Review Post Comment

Roman learning Campaign

Author File Description
El Moppo
(id: C J)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Number of scenarios: 7
My first submission to this site. It\'s a Learning campaign similar to the William Wallace campaign, but you controll the Romans during their rule over the Celts. You face Two real Celtic leaders, Vercingetorix and Boudicca in two of the last three scenarios.
I did use the \'Rome at War\' mod so it will look a bit strange if you don\'t have it installed.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Clayperboy To designer: Is it a good idea to include a mod in a learning campaign ? I would assume that if someone knew how to install MPS find the necessairy mod ,install all it's files to the proper folders that they would already know how to play AOK/TC
I checked out the game , and would seriously consider dropping the modpack if i were you.
El Moppo
(id: C J)
File Author
Well I didn't think of that, I'll try to get around to changing civilizations, scenery etc, so it looks fine without the mod.
Clayperboy This is a seriously flawed "learning campaign", and i will attempt to review it accordingly . First off it requirers you to download a modpack , which if your new to the game ,are probably wondering ,what's a modpack ? Well,,Installing modpacks is something that many advanced players have trouble doing , so i will leave it at that. If you are reading this , then you are probably new to the game ,and looking for a learning campaign ,so i will not comment on the "Playability" and "Balance" etc ., that you see above. I will say however that the designer put some hard work into this campaign ,but made a few mistakes that will leave you standing idle wondering what to do next.
I really hate to say this , but i do not reccomend this as a learning campaign.
Clayperboy CJ sorry for the low review ,if you would like to fix it up i can send you a detailed list of the things i found wrong that would bring your campaign up to par.
Clayperboy
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.0
The instructions with this campaign suggest that you download a modpack, however you do not have to ,the game will still play. You have to set the difficulty level to "Standard"(not mentioned)
PLAYABILITY: This is a learning campaign so it will not be as much fun as an actual game. The beginning of the first scenario is very basic and easy to follow, as it explains the how too's of moving a player from one spot to another ,then grouping players together , eventually attacking an outpost. There is some confusion however when you get to your camp and a "wonder" suddenly appears behind you on the road , perhaps to keep in the bandids that appear inside your town. A gate would have been a better choice. The fourth scenario does not load unless you set the game difficulty to moderate.
BALANCE: Again this is a learning campaign which is basic ,and you move along through the scenarios step by step until you complete it and move on to the next one.
CREATIVITY: The only creativity to be had is the the idea of a learning campaign with a roman civilization ,which you will not have unless you download the modpack ,which i do not suggest if you are new to the game.
MAP DESIGN: The maps are basic types typical for a learning campaign.
STORY/INSTRUCTION: This is perhaps the weakest part of the scenario. First the instructions fly by to fast and then disappear. There was no instructions as to using the the "bugle icon" to view past instructions. There are words missing in some of the instructions . After you are taught how to create villigers ,an instruction appears and says that you will eventually have to build more houses ,but doesnt show you how , i beleive it does show up latter when you have to build a barracks. The instructions on creating units from the barracks was "Click barracks and crate auxila button 5 times". The game seems to have had little playtesting ,as these spelling and typing mistakes would have been detected and corrected.
fishface60 I would suggest that in the first scenario before it starts, add another scenario that tells you to install the modpack, and tell them how
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4
I was able to easily beat all the levels on HARD, which is good on a Tutorial like this.

On SCENARIO #5, according to the Instructions, you are supposed to destroy the Keep in the Gaullic camp. However, I knocked down the walls to the enemy camp with two rams, then a bunch of enemies ran out and destroyed my rams and then attacked my base. The soldiers in my base Plus my tower took out the enemies and the Gauls surrendered, and their tower was destroyed when they surrendered. I don't think that this was supposed to happen. I was playing AOK without the DLCs on AOK:HD in Steam. And I don't know if this same thing happens when you play in the original CD version of AOK:TC (RAW Mod) or if it is a result of playing with the AOK:HD AI instead of the original one, but it feels like a premature AI surrender.

Playing Scenario #6 on STANDARD, I built a castle near the Green palisade in the south and then had it shoot over the palisade onto the Green Tower. My Roman castle took out the Green Tower relatively easily and the scenario ended without me having to fight any soldiers. I guess that this is within the bounds of a tutorial, which is meant to be easy.

On SCENARIO #7 on HARD, A massive army of Boudica and Woad Raiders came out of her castle when I sent scouts near it to check it out. Those enemies then converged on my base and my forces were strong enough to wipe them out. I would have expected that they would have stayed inside their castle until I was actually breaking into it. Maybe this has to do with the game using the AOK HD AI or maybe it has to do with the HARD setting. Next, when I had almost all of one of her wall sections broken and and a big army at her gates, Boudica resigned. At that point, she might have just had a castle. Still, it feels like maybe a premature surrender, which could be due to me playing on AOK:HD on Steam.

Balance: 5
This was pretty good. Since it's a tutorial, it was good that it was easy.

Creativity: 5
In general, I liked this Campaign alot. It reminded me of the kind of thing that I could expect in a AOE2 Tutorial.

On SCENARIO #6, there is a neat "secret" or bonus that if you go to the lake in the middle, you discover a transport ship with 5 villagers.

Map Design: 4
On SCENARIO #6, the Barracks and Houses both look like tents, with not alot of immediate difference apparent. It's neat as a change, but it also makes them look a bit confusing between the different buildings. Still, it's not really bad or too confusing for the play to work.

On Scenario #6 on HARD, I beat the Green player, leaving no enemies, and then I got all three relics to my monastery, but it said I had 200 years to wait for Victory instead of giving me victory as soon as I had the relics there. That's boring since at that point I had no one left to fight. I read the instructions as saying that I was to win by getting the relics there, without mention of a time delay. I don't know if this is related to me playing it on STEAM or to beating the Green enemy first.

Story/Instructions: 3
This was the weakest part. There was almost no story. The story screens for each scenario were practically empty, other than saying something like "Learning Scenario 1", etc.

I noticed that one Reviewer said that the Scenarios should be played on "Standard". I don't know why he believes this. For instance, does it somehow affect the enemy AI so that it stays near its bases instead of attacking you? Or does the writer just mean that it's best if beginners play on Standard? In any case, the Designer should specify which Difficulty he wants the player to use, if it's meant to be played on a particular one.

There was some story in terms of substance when you actually start playing the missions, like how you have to fight particular enemy forces like Boudica's. You got to hear that story in the course of the missions via the narrator's announcements. But it could really use more in terms of the Story tabs.

The instructions were clear enough to know what to do to win, but still, some more preciseness and clarity could be helpful. For instance, when it advises you about building villagers, houses, and a barracks in the second mission, more commanding or specific language would be helpful, so that you know that this is specifically something that you need to do as an objective. In general, I think that this would be helpful in the tutorial. To give an example of somewhere more specific language could be helpful, the 5th scenario said to destroy the Green "Keep", so I thought that it would be talking about an enemy castle, but it was just talking about an enemy tower.

On Scenario #6 on HARD, after building a Market, I sent my priest west where I saw enemy hunters and I converted three, and then woadsmen came and killed my priest. I needed to have some soldiers guarding him. So you could have a Hint about that, because you are trying to make a tutorial for beginners and can give a strategy Hint.

Additional Comments:
I had some difficulty installing the RAW Mod on AOK:HD, but that is not really the fault of the Tutorial maker, so I am not counting that against them. For those playing on AOK:HD On Steam, I uploaded the Rome at War Mod for AOE2 HD onto the Steam Workshop here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2404179025

So all you need to do to install the Rome At War Mod if you are playing on AOE2 HD is to subscribe to the Mod on my webpage above. Then you can install the scenario like normal.

[Edited on 08/13/21 @ 02:18 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0