Please login or register

AI & RM Scripting
Moderated by Sebastien, Leif Ericson

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Jungle terrain as the cause of unexplained RMS crashes
posted 11-25-14 04:43 PM CT (US)   
Over the course of producing maps I've had ones (such as this one) that seemed to crash some of the time, but not always. I traced the cause to the use of a very large about of jungle terrain in a map (which is why larger sizes crash more often). I've also noticed that several other people (here and here) in the past who have complained about crashes had created jungle-based maps. I'm not sure about the precise mechanics but somehow the jungle terrain is causing or facilitating crashes. The jungle crashes exist in all version of the game.
Is this a known issue?

A slightly related point: This map also has random crashes - however in this case it seems to be due to the connection generation section. My best guess is that it is due to the creation of a large number of connections (crashes happen more frequently with more players and larger sizes).
Interestingly, these connection crashes do not occur in the HD Edition (they do in the UP though).

This post is mainly meant as an FYI. Also, I was interested if these are known issues and if anyone else has run into them.

......../\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my Random Map Scripts.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Definitive Random Map Scripting Guide
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.
Replies:
posted 11-26-14 12:33 PM CT (US)     1 / 4  
Large number of objects may lead to crash. This can be solved to an extent by a correct structure of the RMS, a correct order that I am not fully aware of. TheProphet had told me once but I did not keep detailed notes.

Some maps that fail often but not always, may be better played at +1 size, meaning a 3v3 on Large size and 4v4 on Giant size. This way crashes happen less frequently, but of course if a map has even sporadic crashes then obviously something is wrong with it.
posted 11-26-14 03:30 PM CT (US)     2 / 4  
The issue is related to the zone map. There is a maximum of 255 map zones in aoc, which is used for pathfinding, etc. The reason you get more crashes with Jungle terrain is that, when setting up the terrains for The Conquerors Expansion in the .dat file, ES forgot to setup the Jungle terrain restrictions like the other forest types (compare t. restriction #1, land + shallows, for Jungle and Oak Forest, for example), leading to many more, unnecessary zones being created near shallows, etc. This can cause a zone map overflow, which can crash the game. The AoFE team was notified of this, so they were able to fix the .dat in HD.

This issue can be fixed with A.G.E., but modifying the .dat file is outside the scope of UP, so it's left to mods/expansions to fix. UP v1.4 should be a bit more resilient to zone map overflow crashes than v1.3, v1.2, and v1.0c, but rms designers should still try to avoid generating maps that approach the 255 zone cap.

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 11-26-2014 @ 03:42 PM).]

posted 11-27-14 05:48 AM CT (US)     3 / 4  
Thanks for your explanation scripter64. It's good to know this and I'll keep it in mind for the future to prevent maps from crashing.

......../\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my Random Map Scripts.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Definitive Random Map Scripting Guide
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.
posted 01-27-15 10:46 PM CT (US)     4 / 4  
Sorry for bump...

@Scripter64:
I'm having this problem on a map I am working on.

Is there a way for me to know how many zones my map is generating?
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » AI & RM Scripting » Jungle terrain as the cause of unexplained RMS crashes
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames