Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Battle of Senc Tor - Project Thread
posted 07-12-15 06:04 PM CT (US)   

Introduction

The year is 246 of the 2nd Era. A new country, Frosberg, is flourishing as the old kingdoms destroy themselves with endless wars. When there is nothing left to conquer, the hungry kingdom of Versdun declares war on the Duchy of Frosberg. The Versdunian army marches to Senc Tor, a small, but important village in Frosberg. The village quickly sends a messenger to Duke Johan to gather his army and march to Senc Tor to help the village. Duke Johan gathers his commanders, marches to Senc Tor and makes camp there. When the Versdunian army arrives, both sides are eager to fight...

Features

1. Command a big army without getting confused or stressed!

The scenario will play like Kor's battle of Bouvines, this means that you will only control a specific part of the army (you will get chances to command to other parts too), but of course the events in the battle will be different. I haven't decided how the battle will happen yet. I don't want it to be like a lot like Kor's scenario so I will probably try to make morale a much more important thing and I will change the unit stats according to each countries history and as I said I will try to make the flow of the battle different from Battle of Bouvines.

2. Morale system

Killing the enemy commanders will make some of the enemy's units stats lower and some of them will flee. The same applies for you. This will be much more effective in Battle of Senc Tor

3. Multiplayer support

I will surely make this a multiplayer thing in the future. But for now I want to focus on making this an interesting single-player scenario.

Any suggestions for features appreciated!

SCREENSHOTS

Mapshot (this is out of date because I reworked the village)

the village of Senc Tor

the coast of Senc Tor

Versdunian army camp

Centre of the battle

The left flank

The right flank

PROGRESS

1. Map Design: % 100

2. Story/Instructions: % 100

3. Triggers: % 5

4. Planning: % 80

Anything in the scenario is subject to change, so don't hesitate to suggest something

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.

[This message has been edited by Aristeides (edited 07-13-2015 @ 11:56 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-12-15 06:07 PM CT (US)     1 / 17  
Wooh, finally! After days of posting screenshots in the Designer's tavern, I finally got some courage to start my own project! This will also be my first ever playable scenario, and I had this idea in my mind since a long time ago, and now I'm very happy to make this! I'm very confident I will complete this easily.

posted 07-12-15 07:34 PM CT (US)     2 / 17  
That's a great-looking map. I'm interested to see where this goes from here!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-12-15 08:17 PM CT (US)     3 / 17  
Thank you! I'm thinking of changing the layout of the village. In the introduction I said Senc Tor is an important village, but it doesn't look important at all Opinions ?

posted 07-12-15 09:23 PM CT (US)     4 / 17  
Looks great, Aris! I agree with Sam, the map shot is really nice.

As far as making it more important of a village, maybe add a market/town center?

Or maybe the village itself is rather insignificant, but rather the location is geographically significant? You could add a bridge extending off the map that leads to the rest of the kingdom, and the bridge is the only way across for miles. Or maybe it controls a crossroads? Just some suggestions
posted 07-12-15 10:06 PM CT (US)     5 / 17  
I am probably going to turn it into fortress/castle, but those are good suggestions as well

posted 07-12-15 10:10 PM CT (US)     6 / 17  
Sorry for the double post

[This message has been edited by Aristeides (edited 07-12-2015 @ 10:14 PM).]

posted 07-12-15 10:10 PM CT (US)     7 / 17  
I can find numerous examples of medieval battles that took place near seemingly unimportant villages. Grunwald/Tannenberg, arguably the greatest medieval clash of arms, is itself one of these. Often, the strategic significance of a settlement is not its size, but its location - if it's near a main road, for example, like in your map, then it makes for a logical spot to camp and strike out from. Logistically, the boons of controlling passage along an important road are beyond count.

As for making the village larger, well, this is one of those examples I was talking about in the Tavern thread where a small mapsize can be a little limiting. It matters not, though - in this map, the onus seems to be on the battle(field), not the village, which is a good thing since the setting is a FF battle, not a DtS.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-12-15 10:16 PM CT (US)     8 / 17  
Alright you changed my view

posted 07-13-15 00:34 AM CT (US)     9 / 17  
It's a very pretty village - it would be a shame to erase such good work

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 07-13-15 09:49 AM CT (US)     10 / 17  
Just woke up, completed the story and rotated every unit to face the enemy. Gonna work on the intro scene now

I also wrote a short history text in the History section and re-named units according to that text, and changed stats, named the commanders, and revamped the village. (didn't erase all of it)

[This message has been edited by Aristeides (edited 07-13-2015 @ 09:53 AM).]

posted 07-13-15 09:53 AM CT (US)     11 / 17  
This seems like an excellent scope for a first project. We need more projects like this or slightly larger, but without being 10 scenario epics.

Good luck!

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 07-13-15 09:58 AM CT (US)     12 / 17  
Thank you

posted 07-13-15 11:54 AM CT (US)     13 / 17  
Alright guys! Some progress, I reworked the village;

the village of Senc Tor

And added some shallows to the sea

'Tis gon be good

[This message has been edited by Aristeides (edited 07-13-2015 @ 11:59 AM).]

posted 07-13-15 12:12 PM CT (US)     14 / 17  
Great work on both counts. Looking good!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 07-13-15 12:43 PM CT (US)     15 / 17  
I'd suggest adding some medium water between the deep and the shallow to give a more gradual look.

Though I go back and forth on what I do with water. If the sea is just a coastline I usually go shallow>medium>deep to make a gradual increase in depth. If the map has water based play I start doing more complicated things.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 07-14-15 07:24 AM CT (US)     16 / 17  
Just woke up, gonna work on the main triggers now. I still haven't made the intro scene

posted 07-14-15 03:20 PM CT (US)     17 / 17  
I've upgraded to Linux (Ubuntu) today, so I couldn't make a lot of progress on the scenario, but tomorrow I'm gonna learn to use Wine and continue the project.

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Battle of Senc Tor - Project Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames