Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Defend the Spot Scenario Contest: 2020 Definitive Edition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 02-15-20 03:03 PM CT (US)   

Welcome to the sixth Defend the Spot Scenario Design Competition, and the first ever for Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. Held in 2007, 2008, 2013, 2016, and 2018, DtS has always been one of AoKH's most popular contests. With a new version of the game out, it's time for everyone to revisit their defense scenario designing skills once more!

So, what is a "Defend the Spot" scenario? Simple. The basic premise is that you have to hold out for a while in a limited area against superior forces. The most common type of DtS scenario is a defense of a fortified castle or city against hordes of invaders, but a DtS can be the defense of anything - a forest village, a newly-found treasure, a hill during a surprise attack, the king's ship in the middle of the sea - the possibilities are only limited by your imagination!

For good examples of DtS scenarios, check out these scenarios:

Defence at Lorgan's Watch - by Mash (winner of the 2016 DtS Competition)
Assault on Killgary - by White Champion (winner of the 2008 DtS Competition)
Defend the Island 4 - by Lord Basse (winner of the 2007 DtS Competition)
Blood of the Bear - by Mash
The Dogs of War - by Night Conqueror

Rules:
  • Only one entry per forummer or team. If more than one designer is working on the scenario, please list all names when you enter.

• There are no restrictions on styles - you can have fixed force, build and destroy, even role playing defend the spot games.

• Your scenario must be mainly playable. Cutscenes/storytelling where the player does not control their units should be limited to less than 5 minutes of in game time total for the whole scenario.

• The game must be a single player game. No multiplayer.

• The Definitive Edition of the game is the only allowed version. There are plenty of opportunities to compete with the original CD version, but this is the first chance for everyone here to go head to head with the new editor.

• No game modifications are allowed

Deadline:
All entries must be submitted to the Blacksmith by 11:59 forum time (CST), April 30, 2020.

Judging:

Judges:
1. Hockeysam18
2. Sebastien
3. TBD

All entries will be scored by each judge out of 50 points in the following categories:

Gameplay and Overall Enjoyment: 10 points for how fun the scenario is to play, the gameplay mechanics, and the overall experience
Balance: 10 points for how well the scenario is balanced for fair, challenging, and winnable play.
Map Design: 10 points for the aesthetics of the map.
Creativity: 10 points awarded for the creative choices made by the designer. The DE brings a wealth of new options that can lead to many new and exciting design ideas
Story: 10 points for the idea behind the scenario, the way the story is conveyed, and the instructions the player receives.

Scoring will be done on this metric:
10: Better than or as good as the judge has ever seen for similar scenarios.
8-9: Exceptional, elite for the contest, little negative can be said
6-7: Good, better than half the entries, a strength of the scenario
5: Average, nothing particularly good but not a particular weakness
3-4: in the bottom half of entries, not of the quality of the winners, and a notable weakness of the scenario
1-2: very poor, heavily lowers the overall opinion of the scenario

Contestants:

If you are interested in participating, sign up! Entries do not need a contest tag in the title, simply post that you have submitted your entry and its name here in thread to be included.

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 02-15-2020 @ 03:04 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-15-20 04:04 PM CT (US)     1 / 156  
Count me in!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 02-15-20 07:17 PM CT (US)     2 / 156  
I will take part!
posted 02-16-20 00:17 AM CT (US)     3 / 156  
Sounds great! I've actually been working on a map for a few months that would be perfect for this!

[This message has been edited by Blume (edited 02-16-2020 @ 00:19 AM).]

posted 02-16-20 05:22 PM CT (US)     4 / 156  
How ironic I have a DtS in development but its for WK. Best of luck to yall

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
posted 02-25-20 02:22 PM CT (US)     5 / 156  
I'm considering it. I do have an idea, but not sure if I have time to make it.

......../\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my Random Map Scripts.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Definitive Random Map Scripting Guide
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.
posted 02-25-20 09:22 PM CT (US)     6 / 156  
I'm considering it. Have some idea, but i'll see if i have time to pull this off.
posted 03-07-20 03:09 AM CT (US)     7 / 156  
I have Windows 8.1. If I obtain this game will it work in Windows 8.1? System requirements say that it works only for Windows 10.
posted 04-04-20 05:37 PM CT (US)     8 / 156  
My map is finished!
I present, Defend the Fortress!

https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/3728/

[This message has been edited by Blume (edited 04-06-2020 @ 01:46 AM).]

posted 04-05-20 05:32 AM CT (US)     9 / 156  
An old timer here. Sign me up matty.

The 1st Most Improved Forummer of 2010.
The 3rd Most Improved Designer of both 2009 and 2010.
Obviously, member of the great and the well known BlackForest Studios.
Was host of Continous Screenshot Competition I at AoEHeaven.
posted 04-05-20 09:05 AM CT (US)     10 / 156  
posted 04-06-20 11:29 AM CT (US)     11 / 156  
Good to see you're still here.

I make no promises, but I'll try to put my people's history into a famous Moldavians(Slavs) vs Turks siege of an old Teutonic fortress in the heart of Moldavia.

The 1st Most Improved Forummer of 2010.
The 3rd Most Improved Designer of both 2009 and 2010.
Obviously, member of the great and the well known BlackForest Studios.
Was host of Continous Screenshot Competition I at AoEHeaven.
posted 04-06-20 04:06 PM CT (US)     12 / 156  
I will be entering with an entry that also involves the Ottoman Turks.

posted 04-10-20 04:34 AM CT (US)     13 / 156  
Looks like I jumped the gun on my map. I apologize if anyone has played it. I'd wait until the 30th because I'm doing a major overhaul on a lot of mechanics. Sorry about that! I hope none of the judges played it.
posted 04-10-20 08:47 PM CT (US)     14 / 156  
Can there be any kind of short game play leading up to the defending part?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 04-11-20 00:42 AM CT (US)     15 / 156  
What do you have in mind?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 04-11-20 08:17 AM CT (US)     16 / 156  
Not sure. Maybe something like finding and activating the defending part.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 04-12-20 01:41 AM CT (US)     17 / 156  
I have no objections, but I'd like the other judge(s) to weigh in as well.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 04-16-20 09:17 PM CT (US)     18 / 156  
We're now two weeks away, so how is everyone's progress?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what designers are able to do with the features in DE and hope we will see a solid turnout!

Good luck to all!

posted 04-17-20 10:37 PM CT (US)     19 / 156  
I have a scenario about 10% done. It's not complicated I just haven't done much with it. Maybe I will give it a solid day or two and see what it turns into.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 04-17-20 10:47 PM CT (US)     20 / 156  
I'm working hard on mine, but there are always unexpected difficulties that pop up.

Let me be clear: I am LOVING the new triggers and conditions that we have access to now, but at this early stage in exploration, before tutorials have been written about all of the un-intuitive workarounds that we have to use, it's pretty hard to get the desired effect sometimes. If I get this published, it will be the first scenario that I've shared. I hope that I'll be able to get it done!

p.s. Does anyone know how to display resource icons in object descriptions or instructions? Something like <gold> or <resourcegold> or any of the other dozen I've tested. The icons show up when you use <cost> so they must be available somehow, right?

[This message has been edited by Mighty Myrmidon (edited 04-17-2020 @ 10:49 PM).]

posted 04-18-20 07:36 AM CT (US)     21 / 156  
No, you can set the gold, food, etc. cost of a unit by modifying their costs and the string will display the cost. There's no way that I am aware of to have the icon appear independently.

posted 04-21-20 08:54 PM CT (US)     22 / 156  
Is there no way to put water on elevation in DE?

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 04-22-20 00:45 AM CT (US)     23 / 156  
You can paint the 2D Bridge Water on hills, but it won't be nicely animated or reflective. Is that good enough for what you need?
posted 04-22-20 06:14 PM CT (US)     24 / 156  
You could map copy it. From a random map script, if there isn't a scenario way to get it in the first place.

......../\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my Random Map Scripts.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Definitive Random Map Scripting Guide
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.
posted 04-26-20 03:17 AM CT (US)     25 / 156  
MrWednesday i want to join where exaclty in blacksmith i must submit the file ? there are many topics there :/
posted 04-26-20 05:36 AM CT (US)     26 / 156  
posted 04-26-20 06:22 AM CT (US)     27 / 156  
thank you, sorry for my bad english.
posted 04-26-20 03:49 PM CT (US)     28 / 156  
Just submitted my entry, The Last Romans! Tracking number 13512. Good luck to all contestants!

posted 04-26-20 08:06 PM CT (US)     29 / 156  
My scenario is about 90% done, 10% left are NPC dialogues and special events / difficulty ballancing. Can i worry about difficulty ballancing later after submission date? As im lacking testers atm.
posted 04-27-20 01:54 AM CT (US)     30 / 156  
The deadline for submissions is April 30. Any edits made to a file after the deadline will not be considered by the judges scoring the contest.

After the contest results have been published, you are welcome, of course, to update your file to address any of the feedback given by the judges

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-27-20 12:15 PM CT (US)     31 / 156  
@duyhung2h: I'll play test for you.
posted 04-27-20 06:09 PM CT (US)     32 / 156  
Hi i submitted my entry : tittle "Perdiccas"
tracking 13517 Good luck to all.
posted 04-27-20 06:23 PM CT (US)     33 / 156  
Should our entries be available for download already? Mine and Blume's entries are on the Blacksmith for download now.

[This message has been edited by Filthydelphia (edited 04-27-2020 @ 07:54 PM).]

posted 04-28-20 05:03 AM CT (US)     34 / 156  
Great to see all these entries coming in! I will unfortunately have to bow out of the competition, but I wish all the entrants the best of luck!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 04-28-20 05:09 AM CT (US)     35 / 156  
I'm stepping down, as well, not without an apology. The current situation took its toll on my lifestyle as well, not to mention the thesis for my Bachelor's which is due in a couple of months and consumes most of my time.

Although not an entry for this competition, I will be releasing my scenario for playtesting in the next month (foregoing a topic on this forums with screenshots and the like) and take some liberties in regard to the percentage of time the player would be defending a spot.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Defend the Spot Scenario Contest: 2020 Definitive Edition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames