Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project: The Shadows of Kalpireia
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-21-20 04:02 PM CT (US)   

This campaign is a new addition to the Gwyndlegard series. It is a sequel that can be played on its own, but which takes place in the same world as many of my earlier works. Hence, it will make the most sense if you have played those first. Considering this project will (optimistically speaking) still take another year to finish, you have plenty of time to play them through if you wish to!

.: The Gwyndlegard Trilogy :.

Gwyndlegard (2010)The Rockspring Revolution (2011)The Relics of Athalën (2014)

.: Related Works :.

The Epic Adventures of Marvin & Rob (2010)Sagropireia (2011)Mare Nostrum (2014)The Winter Storm (2016)

STORY:

Fifty years have passed since the events in "The Relics of Athalën", when Xaphira was defeated once and for all by Immanuel and his friends. Since then, the world has changed. Kalpireia, previously a barely explored island far to the east, is now a prosperous colony of Gwyndlegard, even as its frontiers remain untamed and largely uncharted. The great barrier still stands, an invisible dividing line that cuts the island in two. And on the mainland, Gwyndlegard, which once fought for its independence, now dominates its neighbours through its greatly centralized, militarized state; not even its old allies feel safe. But despite its might, it is a colossus on feet of clay.

As our story begins, King Fabian of Gwyndlegard, the son of Lord Mezenghi, dies without an heir, and the country is plunged into civil war. On one side is the de facto occupant of the throne: the ruthless King Winstan McAnthony. On the other is Fabian's designated heir: his cousin, the pious noblewoman Lady Meryda Mezenghi. Behind her also stands the young House Fardaugh, headed by Arthur, the first son of the great hero Immanuel.

Our hero, Samuel Fardaugh (Immanuel's grandson), is 21, and the last thing he desires is to succeed his father as Lord of Gwynhill. He longs for adventure and to get away from the trappings of noble life. One day, he gets more than he wishes for. His father sends him away to the island colony of Kalpireia, ostensibly to be tutored by his uncle and learn to accept his future resposibility to rule; but more so because his father knows that he himself might soon die, as he has sided with Lady Meryda in the war against King Winstan.

Amidst civil war, you now step into the shoes of Samuel as he explores this uncharted world, fights his way from an unruly youth to a major player in the raging war, and eventually all the way back to the mainland, to end the harsh rule of King Winstan.

ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN:

I don't know how many times I've stated that this particular campaign will be my last. But I am going to do it again. This campaign looks like it will be even bigger then "The Relics of Athalën". It uses the same mod, and on top of it adds several hundred new objects and graphics, giving it more new units and graphics than most official expansion packs. And with the Definitive Edition leading more and more people to abandon the CD/UserPatch version of the game altogether, the likelyhood that a decent chunk of people will actually see the result of my work keeps dwindling.

But I am not giving up yet! I have sunk a lot of work into this campaign already and I am so far very happy with it. And if the CD/UP version of the game is to be put to rest, I want to help it go out with a bang.

I started working on this campaign back in early 2017, spending the next three years compiling and working on and off (to be frank, mostly off ) on the mod and writing the scripts for the seven (now eight!) scenarios of the campaign. And earlier this year, I started dedicating actual time to the scenarios themselves. As of this writing, the first two scenarios are nearly completed. If I keep working at the rate I have the past few weeks, the whole thing would be finished by the end of the year... but more realistically, this will see release sometime in 2021.

I am now also working as a level designer for DE at Forgotten Empires, so to say that this will be my last AoE2 project is not entirely true... but it will likely be the last (major) hobby project I have for CD/UP.

CAMPAIGN FEATURES:

• An 8 scenarios long campaign!
• Extensive modding!
• An epic continuation of the Gwyndlegard series. The main quest scripts alone for this campaign amount to 178 screenplay pages, comparable to a 3-hour feature film. For comparison, the scripts for "The Relics of Athalën" came to a total of 110 pages.
• The emphasis of the campaign lies on the storyline, humour and atmosphere, although I try to spruce it up with new ideas for gameplay as well!
• Varying gameplay styles: from adventure-focused RPS and Fixed Force, to pure B&D, grand battles with unique AI/trigger mechanics -- and big, one-on-one boss fights!
• Where "The Relics of Athalën" expanded the Gwyndlegard world in all directions, this campaign will focus in on a few key locations: the city of Silverstone, the uncharted lands of Kalpireia, as well as revisiting some places not seen since "Gwyndlegard"!
• Music from a wide range of composers, including Joe Hisaishi, Howard Shore, Russell Shaw and Tangerine Dream.

MOD FEATURES:

• An expansion to the mod from "The Relics of Athalën", which already comes with roughly 400 new units and graphics,
• 400+ new units made specifically for this new campaign: while many of these work "behind the scenes", so to speak, you will get new enemies to face, unique heroes, new eye candy units, and much more,
• Modded graphics from a host of AoKH modders; a full list of credits will be included in the campaign!
• Multiple all new indoor graphics, walkable walls, palaces and more!

SCREENSHOTS:

Part 1: A Colossus on Feet of Clay: A city under siege | King Winstan's army assembles | An expanding empire | Peaceful monastery | Marching through a blizzard | The new rulers of old Gwynhill

Part 2: Lazy Days: Derelict quarter in Silverstone | Indoor scenery | Deserted island | Arrival on Kalpireia | The Gates of the City

Part 3: Samuel's Quest: Setting out on adventure | Monastery by the Ravine | Forgotten Temple | The town of Belstone | The Swallowed City

Part 4: City of Shadows: Along the Barrier Range | Under occupation | Morning on the hill | Picturesque bandit hideout

Part 5: The Relic of Blood: The underworld | Helping the locals | Stealth mission | Under siege

Part 6: The Battle of Kalpireia: A Tranquil Pond (WIP)

Part 7: Into The Lion's Den: Resting at the Inn

SCENARIOS:

Legend: Completed (or just some polishing left) | Under development | Not started (excluding story)

1) A Colossus With Feet of Clay | Cinematic scenario | In this cinematic opening, the stage is set for the campaign to come. Civil war breaks out, Samuel's peaceful life is shattered and he is sent away to the island of Kalpireia, a journey he both dreads and longs for.

Progress:
Story: 100%
Map design: 100%
Triggers: 100% (total: ~500)
AI: 100%
Polishing: 90%

2) Lazy Days | RPG | Samuel arrives in the capital of Kalpireia, the city of Silverstone. You step into his shoes as he explores the city and gathers a band of soldiers to head out to the unruly frontier.

Progress:
Triggers: 100% (total ~1200)
Polishing: 95%

3) Samuel's Quest | Fixed Force | In which Samuel and his band of friends and soldiers travel northeast, into the bandit-riven frontier, to deal with some mysterious goings-on!

Progress:
Triggers: 100% (total: ~900)

4) City of Shadows | Fixed Force / Build & Destroy | In which said mysterious goings-on take a bigger, darker shape, and you play a B&D!

Progress:
Triggers: 100% (total: ~500)

5) The Relic of Blood | Fixed Force | In which the war reaches the island, and Samuel returns to Silverstone to break the siege of the city!

Progress:
Map design: 95%
Triggers: 100% (total: ~600)
Polishing: 90%

6) The Battle of Kalpireia | Build & Destroy / Defend the Spot | In which the enemies launch a massive invasion of the island for you to fight off!

Progress:
Map design: 95%
Triggers: 85% (total: ~400)
AI: 50%
Polishing: 0%

7) Into The Lion's Den | Fixed Force / Build & Destroy | In which we revisit a certain fortress not seen since "Gwyndlegard"!

Progress:
Triggers: 50% (estimated total: ~400)
AI: 0%
Polishing: 0%

8) Spiral Into Darkness | Defend the Spot / Fixed Force / RPG | In which things look grim, until they no longer don't - if things go well for you!

PROGRESS:

Scenarios: 65%
Modding: 90%
Music & sounds: 70%
Bitmaps: 0 / 8
Intro & outro texts: 0%
Lore book texts: 0%

Overall progress: 65%

PLAYTESTING:

Playtesting still lies a while in the future, as I hope to finish at least 2-3 scenarios before starting on this.

The obelisk and ruins beyond the Barrier are just placeholders to make the place look a bit cooler, they're not really canon.

(To see more details, open up the image in a new tab)

Map of the Gwyndlegard World (Kalpireia not included)

A StormWind Studios production.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-25-2024 @ 04:25 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-21-20 04:44 PM CT (US)     1 / 106  
I never thought I’d see another epic project announcement from you Basse. Especially not one set in my favourite universe. I’m so excited for this and glad you’ve stuck to the CD version. I can’t wait to give it a go whenever it’s done. Keep up the good work my friend.

Also I didn’t realise you were now designing levels for FE, what a great addition to the team. Good luck with that.
posted 07-22-20 05:03 AM CT (US)     2 / 106  
Thanks Possidon! The CD version is still my favourite edition for designing, although the lack of a "copy trigger" button is sorely felt!

I'm aiming to get scenario 1 polished and scenario 2 fully playable in the next few weeks. Hopefully I will have made good progress on scenario 3 as well before the end of summer!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 07-22-20 05:39 AM CT (US)     3 / 106  
I’ve always preferred being old skool and using CD version. In my opinion nothing beats it. That said I’d love to try out some of the cool stuff made for DE but I currently don’t have a computer that can play because my hardrives not big enough to install it

[This message has been edited by Possidon (edited 07-22-2020 @ 05:40 AM).]

posted 07-22-20 09:22 AM CT (US)     4 / 106  
Looking sharp, Basse
If I keep working at the rate I have the past few weeks, the whole thing would be finished by the end of the year... but more realistically, this will see release sometime in 2021.
You sound like the updates on the Lord of the Rings Amazon series
In which we revisit a certain fortress not seen since "Gwyndlegard"!
It wouldn't happen to be associated with a certain set of vineyards, would it?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-22-20 10:23 AM CT (US)     5 / 106  
Great... now I have to make sure I replay the entire saga before this releases
posted 07-22-20 11:47 AM CT (US)     6 / 106  
Well, you probably have a year or more, should be plenty of time!
It wouldn't happen to be associated with a certain set of vineyards, would it?
Maybe, just maybe.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 07-26-20 06:37 PM CT (US)     7 / 106  
After ironing out about 10 pages of bugs and small issues, the main quest for scenario 2 is now pretty close to being fully polished. A few hours more and I should be all set. Then all that's left to do is add 2-3 side quests and fill up the town with talking/patrolling NPCs.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-26-2020 @ 06:38 PM).]

posted 07-27-20 00:53 AM CT (US)     8 / 106  
If I wanted to play through the various adventures of your fantasy world, both main trilogy and related works, what would be the canonical order for doing so? Simply as they were chronologically released?

It's been like 17 years since I downloaded any AOK scenarios or campaigns. I have no idea what the state of the field is actually like.

Bah.
posted 07-27-20 05:05 AM CT (US)     9 / 106  
Yeah, going by release date is the easiest way. Sagropireia is the only one that doesn't fit so neatly into the timeline, as it takes place hundreds of years after the others.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 07-27-20 11:33 AM CT (US)     10 / 106  
I don't think I ever knew that. Was there a clue?

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 07-27-20 12:47 PM CT (US)     11 / 106  
It's never really emphasized, but the Gwyndlegard trilogy is occasionally mentioned to take place around the year 1300, while in Sagropireia it's 1822. The island of Kalpireia is mentioned in passing in Sagropireia, as the place the inhabitants are fleeing to, while it makes its first appearance in the main trilogy in ROA, as the "forgotten island" of scenario 6 (although I believe it's mentioned in NPC dialogue in The Rockspring Revolution as well).

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-27-2020 @ 12:49 PM).]

posted 07-27-20 01:03 PM CT (US)     12 / 106  
I have a vague recollection of being under the opposite impression, that the disaster wrecking Sagropireia was part of the general collapse of that civilisation including Kalpireia long before the events of Gwyndlegard etc. If I ever noticed the difference between the years, which I suspect I didn't, it could just have been the use of a different calendar.

posted 07-27-20 02:30 PM CT (US)     13 / 106  
I can see how it could be read like that, and honestly I think it more or less works either way. There are some minor clues in the scenario that point to it taking place long after the collapse, e.g. the Mesoamerican/Old Kingdom ruins here and there on the island. The submarines mentioned near the end of the story are also meant to be relics from the Old Kingdom, though I don't think that is ever explicitly stated. Other than this, most of the story probably only exists in my own notes.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-27-2020 @ 02:31 PM).]

posted 08-02-20 06:07 PM CT (US)     14 / 106  
The main quest is now 99% polished, and I have added a bunch of NPC dialogues and started the major side quest, bumping the triggers up to 80% (out of 1000). With some luck I will have scenario 2, side quests and all, playable but perhaps not polished by the end of next week.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 08-02-20 06:14 PM CT (US)     15 / 106  
You are remarkable.

posted 08-04-20 03:37 PM CT (US)     16 / 106  
Two 6-hour design passes each weekend really go a long way when you have everything scripted already.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 08-09-20 03:17 PM CT (US)     17 / 106  
Scenario 2 is now nearly done. This weekend I finished the two side quests, finished the last bits of the map, added a whole lot of NPC dialogue, and did another round of polishing. I still have to add another 100 lines or so of NPC dialogue, but I'll not attempt that this week.

Once that's done, I'll be moving on to the third scenario!

Also, new screenshot! Which some might recognize from the CSC.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 08-09-2020 @ 03:27 PM).]

posted 09-10-20 05:00 PM CT (US)     18 / 106  
Update: scenario 2 is now completed, pending some minor final tweaking, clocking in at just about 1200 triggers. The past week or so I have started working on scenario 3. No triggers yet, but the map design is up to 40% already!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 09-10-20 05:12 PM CT (US)     19 / 106  
Damn, I wish I had this disposition to finish... things in general
And by the number of triggers I suppose this is gonna be another classic ala Rockspring Revolution style.
Looking forward to it!
actually to come to think of it, it may indeed surpass ROA (which should technically be humanly impossible in my view, but well, who knows)

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 09-10-2020 @ 05:13 PM).]

posted 09-10-20 05:27 PM CT (US)     20 / 106  
Yeah, it will probably end up being bigger than ROA. It has one more scenario, and one less cinematic scenario, so it'll be 7 playable scenarios compared to ROA's 5... Fortunately only one is an RPG scenario, and that one is now done. But I definitely have my work cut out for me!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 09-10-2020 @ 05:29 PM).]

posted 09-17-20 06:40 PM CT (US)     21 / 106  
Map design for scenario 3 is now up to 75%! Here is a first sneak peek at it: an abandoned monastery, by a steep ravine in the mountains:

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 09-18-20 04:41 PM CT (US)     22 / 106  
That's a very cool looking custom bridge asset. I wish in the DE they'd added more of a variety of bridges and cliffs.
posted 09-20-20 08:15 AM CT (US)     23 / 106  
It is very nice indeed! All the credit for that one goes to Matt/Mr. Wednesday.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 09-24-2020 @ 05:55 PM).]

posted 09-29-20 05:53 AM CT (US)     24 / 106  
This is coming along very well, Basse. You have a penchant for epic designs, and the patience to match to design them!
posted 09-29-20 09:16 AM CT (US)     25 / 106  
Thanks Mash! It's been getting along quite well, although the past week I've been to busy to do any new work on it. Hopefully next week I'll be able to finish up the design for scenario 3.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 11-07-20 02:35 AM CT (US)     26 / 106  
This looks fantastic.

@Lord Basse: actually I was reminded this morning that I hadn't managed to play Relics of Athalen yet and I tried to install the mod. However, I get an instant crash when I load the campaign even though I am using the dedicated datafile. Probably a noobish problem but maybe you have any tips for me?
posted 11-08-20 01:38 PM CT (US)     27 / 106  
Thanks panel! For ROA, do you have UserPatch installed? I find that many of the crashes that were there originally no longer happen when playing with UP 1.5.

It's been a slow October for this project (but a hectic one for just about everything else for my part), but I hope to get more work done on scenario 3 come the Christmas holidays.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 11-08-2020 @ 01:40 PM).]

posted 11-12-20 01:13 AM CT (US)     28 / 106  
I have Userpatch installed. Not sure which version but it should be the latest one since I've downloaded it recently.
posted 12-27-20 03:13 PM CT (US)     29 / 106  
I'm happy to say that triggers for scenario 3 is now at 15%, so there is progress being made once again on this campaign.

EDIT - Make that 30%, but now out of 700 and not 500 triggers.

EDIT 2 - Aaand now it's at 45%.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-02-2021 @ 03:04 PM).]

posted 01-06-21 08:17 AM CT (US)     30 / 106  
Been making good progress on both the triggers and map design over the past week and a half. For scenario 3 I am now at roughly 80% done with the map design and 55% done with the triggers. With some luck I will have at least the main quest triggered by the end of the week.

And so celebrate, a new screenshot from scenario 3: Setting out on adventure!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 01-06-21 08:50 AM CT (US)     31 / 106  
Hi!.. Lord Basse!.. There is a thing I didn't understand. Your project has a good progress but why don't you prefer the newest DE version? Userpatch version is also NOT compatible with steam HD version. I think that this will be a serious mistake for download numbers. You will be able to upload your file only this website. Steam Community and ageofempires.com players will miss your project with their base games. They will need to do some extra steps to be able to play your file.

Regards...
posted 01-06-21 08:56 AM CT (US)     32 / 106  
Basically, I started working on this back in 2017 when DE wasn't even a thing yet. The mod I'm using (an expanded version of the mod from The Relics of Athalën) will also never be DE-compatible, so rather than redoing everything from scratch (which would add a couple of years to the process) I'd much rather spend that time actually finishing the campaign.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-07-2021 @ 10:40 AM).]

posted 01-07-21 10:42 AM CT (US)     33 / 106  
Map design is now at 100%! I may do some minor tweaks later, but that doesn't count.

Also, new screenshot! These overgrown ruins are probably my favourite thing to design, even if they mainly serve as background decoration. Although this particular one will probably be part of a tiny side quest... we'll see!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-07-2021 @ 10:49 AM).]

posted 01-07-21 03:56 PM CT (US)     34 / 106  
Nice destination for a bit of light reading

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 01-08-21 01:05 AM CT (US)     35 / 106  
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: The Shadows of Kalpireia
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames