Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Strategy Guide Library
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 23 September 2007 03:44 AM EDT (US)   
Intro

After a bit of deliberation on my part, I am proud to introduce a new idea to the General, Strategy, and DM Discussions forum. Similar to the member of the month, each month, around the 25th, I will look around the forum and see if there is a nice guide to something around. The strategy guides that are written will be placed in a new stickied thread as a modern counterpart to the thread that FD2 made.

Hopefully, this will give all of you a chance to try your hand at getting your ideas out on paper, and you will likely become a better writer through all this. I would like to amass some more current game-guides, and it wouldn't hurt to have some discussions about this kind of thing here.

What is a good guide?

These are some of the things that will be looked for when selecting guide of the month:

* The use of proper spelling and grammar

* An organized guide, the flow of thoughts should be easy to follow

* Appropriate language and use of examples -- We don't want to offend anyone

* Appropriate use and documentation of any tests that you may have done, sometimes these are necessary, other times not

* Appropriate use of BB Code (If you don't know what this is or want some help with it, e-mail me or check this link: Heaven Games
* Be able to back up what you say and post such information in the guide when necessary

* Consider editing your guide if the need for a change is pointed out

* There will be no rating requirement or anything of that sort, but please know what you are talking about and have something unique/interesting to say

* Put some time into it, I can make a guide in an hour, but it wouldn't be very good

* Make guides pertinent to Age of Mythology and its expansion pack, that means no guides on how to pick your nose...

* Effectively describe your strategy.

--May add more later as time goes on

Reactions to Guides

When a guide is written and posted, it will be greeted with respect. There will be no flaming or insults, constructive criticisms and praise are about all that I will allow. This is not going to turn into a 'bash so and so for this or that' kind of thing. If a guide thread is made to be a spam item or something similar, please ignore it and allow me or another mod to take care of it. If you have anything you feel you need to speak about but don't want to offend anyone, e-mail me.

Closing

I hope that his works out well, and if some guides pop up I would like to pick a guide for this month to start things off. I would ask that you put some effort into it, but don't kill yourself over it. Remember, don't start turning out guides like a machine, take your time and make each guide unique. Pace yourself, my advice is to do about one guide a month, there is little need to put all your waking effort into making guides, I want this to be an enjoyable experience.

--Shanks13

------------------------------------------------

Strategy Guide Library

This is an addition to the thread created by Filmdirector 2, and it has been created in an attempt to collect a set of more current guides. I hope you all find some use for the guides here, if you have any comments or feel that I have left something out, please e-mail me so that the matter can be resolved as quickly as possible. Without further ado, I present the Strategy Guide Library:

First Set of Strategy Guides, created by Theris 264, reposted by FD2:

Guides of the Month

Guides to Major Gods & Civilizations

Guides to Human Units, Ships, Heroes, and Siege Units

Guides to Mythological Units, Titans, and Shades

Guides to God Powers
  • Shifting Sands (1)

Guides to Buildings

Guides to Multiplayer Maps

Miscellaneous Guides

[This message has been edited by Shanks13 (edited 05-01-2008 @ 04:41 PM).]

Replies:
posted 23 September 2007 04:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 71  
sweeet! this should make things more interestting
also woot 1st post

also shanks for angel lol

also what about like
Build orders for special strategy's
like loki rush.kronos krush, galley rush, villie rushes etc

My first Kronos games I played on ESO Mid 2007.
Kronos(me) vs Possy~1600 to 1621 - Failed Raid Good Titan Recovery
Kronos(me) vs Kronos~1621 to 1636 - Very Awesome Successful Krush
Kronos(me) vs Loki~1636 to 1652 - Failed Krush Great Recovery
Member Since - 04-16-2007
Main ESO Names - RmC_Avatar, neva_wins, Norrin Radd

[This message has been edited by Black_Oni (edited 09-23-2007 @ 04:15 AM).]

posted 23 September 2007 04:18 AM EDT (US)     2 / 71  
Yay Shanks for angel woot.

And the heimdall tower rush link just leads to ferrals set guide.

"You going down" says FlamingWraith.
"I'm already down you just punched my lights out"
"Die you annoying peice of @$&$ thats smarter than me"
posted 23 September 2007 05:12 AM EDT (US)     3 / 71  
That's what I get for not checking all my links. Anyways, I fixed it, but the layout keeps changing on me, so I may have to keep working on it.

posted 23 September 2007 05:16 AM EDT (US)     4 / 71  
GJ Shanks

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

posted 23 September 2007 08:32 AM EDT (US)     5 / 71  
How could you just clone FD2's thread for some petty competition that does not even have a prize?

A green great dragon.

[This message has been edited by Keron Cyst (edited 09-23-2007 @ 08:34 AM).]

posted 23 September 2007 08:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 71  
hey shanks It might be a good Idea to add in the links (under major gods & civilizations) to AOM Thor, AOM Zeus, AOM Isis, and AOM Loki (from pdroo) as they are unbelievably helpful to newcomers.
posted 23 September 2007 09:48 AM EDT (US)     7 / 71  
here: Prdoo's Sites
http://aomloki.googlepages.com/
http://aomthor.googlepages.com/
http://aomzeus.googlepages.com/
http://aomisis.googlepages.com/

For some reason i have some strange urge to go play TWC. Add me "deeeeeman" I am not as good there as in AoT.

Thank God SCII finally has a release date but it so so damn far away...
ESO Name: AoTH_ZoOkEePeR
posted 23 September 2007 12:00 PM EDT (US)     8 / 71  
I'll help you at TWC if you help me at AOT..

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 23 September 2007 04:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 71  
I'll put those links in now.

Keron_Cyst, I did not clone FD2's thread, and if we want to become technical, Theris 264 is the one who did it in the first place. I am simply attempting to collect some more current guides and intend to offend no one.

posted 23 September 2007 04:37 PM EDT (US)     10 / 71  
yer cuz those guides are really out of date

posted 23 September 2007 06:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 71  
thnx for posting links to my sites :-)

Ur the best mod I knew, U might be 1600- ( XD ) but u play supremacy, have a nice knowledge of the game, a preocupation for the site, continious posts ( giving your opinion, not only making people remember the rules) and stuff...
posted 23 September 2007 08:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 71  
U might be 1600- ( XD )
You sure know how to win my heart

I'll be picking guide of the month on Tuesday, so be watching for that.

posted 23 September 2007 08:15 PM EDT (US)     13 / 71  
11, nice.

posted 23 September 2007 08:24 PM EDT (US)     14 / 71  
Hmm, I'd better finish mine tomorrow then. Don't bother making any other guides people, there's no point

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
posted 23 September 2007 09:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 71  
lol

posted 23 September 2007 09:45 PM EDT (US)     16 / 71  
Keron_Cyst, I did not clone FD2's thread, and if we want to become technical, Theris 264 is the one who did it in the first place. I am simply attempting to collect some more current guides and intend to offend no one.
Why is the thread's name is Strategy Guide Library (V.2)
meaning its a list of guides, that is the same as FD2's thread.

Don't put another person into this, you made the thread and I'm just curious on it.

Your not collecting guides, your telling people to write them up. Instead of adding these guides, your adding guides that we don't even know that has good enough information. I've seen some of these entries and by the looks on them, there aren't as good as the ones in the link I supplied

A green great dragon.
posted 23 September 2007 10:49 PM EDT (US)     17 / 71  
Keron, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. The guides that are in this thread so far are pretty good. While they may not be expert guides or anything, they accomplish something.

[This message has been edited by Shanks13 (edited 09-23-2007 @ 10:50 PM).]

posted 23 September 2007 11:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 71  
Well, really when I said we needed better guides. I meant not guides that took 10 minutes max.
You make this a list of guides when FD2's thread is the same thing, but all you have to do is update that since you got cherub
But sorry If post sounded kinda harsh, I just wanted to know the purpose of such a thread if FD2's thread could simply be edited.

A green great dragon.
posted 24 September 2007 07:43 AM EDT (US)     19 / 71  
It could be edited, but I do not feel that as much attention would be garnered. We'll just see how this goes.

Purpose: Motivate people to write guides and draw attention to it.

posted 24 September 2007 07:55 AM EDT (US)     20 / 71  
Do not tell me you don't know how to update and bump a thread. If you feel that it isn't good enough anymore trash it.
Purpose: Motivate people to write guides and draw attention to it.
So my argument was correct. But we do not know if the guides are gonna help anyone so we need to make sure this thread is filled with good detailed guides. Not guides stolen from other people, 10 min jobs etc.

Plus I don't see the need for more guides. We have enough already at AOMH. If not theres external websites.

But I don't see why we need a sticky to promote a petty competition with no prize

A green great dragon.
posted 24 September 2007 09:28 AM EDT (US)     21 / 71  
Not guides stolen from other people, 10 min jobs etc.
Guides don't need to be big or take weeks to write, they must be good. Ferral's SeT guide is small (don't know if it's a 10 min job ) but is the best guide I have read so far. Quality is better then quantity.
posted 24 September 2007 01:18 PM EDT (US)     22 / 71  
<TEST>

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...

[This message has been edited by DragonQ (edited 09-24-2007 @ 01:18 PM).]

posted 24 September 2007 03:58 PM EDT (US)     23 / 71  
The guides I have inducted so far have been of a good enough quality. If you have something you would like to address, please start e-mailing me as I don't want to turn this into a debate thread.

Edit: If someone would like to take a look at the message source of the main post and tell me why my list is behaving erratically, it would be greatly appreciated. Every time I add something, it changes.

[This message has been edited by Shanks13 (edited 09-24-2007 @ 04:06 PM).]

posted 25 September 2007 03:36 AM EDT (US)     24 / 71  
i use [URL= url]text[/ URL] for mine....if thats what ur talkin about shanks

added spaces so it will show properly

[This message has been edited by Black_Oni (edited 09-25-2007 @ 03:37 AM).]

posted 25 September 2007 04:38 AM EDT (US)     25 / 71  
Guides don't need to be big or take weeks to write, they must be good. Ferral's SeT guide is small (don't know if it's a 10 min job ) but is the best guide I have read so far. Quality is better then quantity.
Tell me this, would you read a guide a -1700 made, or a guide that a 1800+ made?

That quality better then quantity made me laugh. Some of the best guides I would have mentioned have way better quality then then the guide you mentioned.
If you have something you would like to address, please start e-mailing me as I don't want to turn this into a debate thread.
Your fault for cloning a thread for a petty competition with no prize.

A green great dragon.
posted 25 September 2007 08:46 AM EDT (US)     26 / 71  
Some of the best guides I would have mentioned have way better quality then then the guide you mentioned.
I think I liked that guide so much because my favorite god is Set and that was the best guide I found for him
posted 25 September 2007 03:57 PM EDT (US)     27 / 71  
Tell me this, would you read a guide a -1700 made, or a guide that a 1800+ made?

I'd read both. Just because someone has a crappy rating doesn't mean they know nothing about the game, and just because someone has a high rating doesn't mean they can accurately describe what should be done. There's more than just replays and BOs.
That quality better then quantity made me laugh
Of course, quality work in large quantities are always best
Your fault for cloning a thread for a petty competition with no prize.
You don't have to be involved. Really, is there more to what you're saying than just the fact that you feel I copied a thread and created a petty competition?

posted 25 September 2007 04:27 PM EDT (US)     28 / 71  
thank you.

it took around a week to write and edit the BB.

posted 26 September 2007 00:48 AM EDT (US)     29 / 71  
Of course, quality work in large quantities are always best
Quality will not always work with large quantities.
I'd read both. Just because someone has a crappy rating doesn't mean they know nothing about the game, and just because someone has a high rating doesn't mean they can accurately describe what should be done. There's more than just replays and BOs.

Perhaps you didn't even see some of the expert guides. look at the oranos one. Had good quality all over it. And I'll be damned if I see a petty oranos guide that took 5 mins and see someone saying its the best guide, and think they do not need anymore help and misguides them on missing details that you can get in experts one.
You don't have to be involved. Really, is there more to what you're saying than just the fact that you feel I copied a thread and created a petty competition?
Thats cause you did.
thank you.
it took around a week to write and edit the BB.
Awwwww A weeks work wasted because someone beat you.

A green great dragon.
posted 26 September 2007 09:45 AM EDT (US)     30 / 71  
It gives the community something to do Keron Cyst. I came to AoMH because it is one of the few AoM forums that is still thriving. Personally I would like to keep that community going even if you think it is re-treading old ground. Hell, PLAYING THIS GAME at all is retreading old ground, but I for one am glad I can still log on and find matches in ~1 minute.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: