Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Help with triggers article
posted 04 July 2007 10:16 AM EDT (US)   
Well, I have recently seen a lot of people have trouble with triggers not working and have decided to create this thread to claify some vital tips:

First of all dont check the run immediately box too much. It just makes the trigger fire before the text and godpowers etc. . Also set the trigger to high priority if you want a 'Run instantly' effect, but use fire events to avoid lag.

Triggers to avoid

• Dont use sound timer ever - the effect! Only use the condition on high priority.
  • If you use 'Chat Contains' make sure it is on low priority
  • If you are using camera tracks Never use the fire event box at the bottom of the track trigger. Instead insert a fire event in the same trigger.
  • If you are using conditions like timer or triggers that have a radius box, Never use decimals. However you can use decimals with modify protounit.
  • Avoid symbols in dialog
  • If you still have a problem read below;

Other tips

General Problems
    Kill - Make sure all selected are of same player. (This dosnt work online!)
    Armies - THEY ARE LIMITED BY 30! Even when the units have died, they still count! You must use the "Clear Units" button to reset it to 0, although the deployed units will add to counter.
    Teleport Unit - Be sure the unit isn't moving already before using this effect. Ways to make sure the unit has stopped is to make it move to unit (itself). Or Change Unit Type. Some objects may become invisible when teleported. (This dosnt work online either I think)
    Invoke God Power - Make sure the player has LOS and has had the greant god power effect beforehand (except gaia)

Out of Sync/Multiplayer Problems
    Effects or Conditions that don't specify a player (Visible to Player)
    Set Current HP (SNXT2) - Doesn't work.
    Abort Cinematic - OOS
    Animations - Don't work.
    Chat Contains - Out of Sync unless it is low priority.
    Unit Create - Sometimes don't work. Use Army Deploy.
    Move to Point/Unit - Don't work.
    Units in LOS - Out of Sync for four players or more.

Army Deploy - If there's some human players and some computers, this won't deploy for the computer(s).
    Move Effects - Don't work on Nature.
    Moving Units in MP - Use Move From Area

How to solve the 'My triggers have stopped working!' problem

• If you have done none of the mentioned errors above then save the game and delete the most recent few triggers. if the game runs then the problem is in those triggers.
  • Carry on in this manner until you find them
  • If you cannot find them or it is a combination of triggers, then redesign the triggers. Delete them and restart them.

Hope this helps you! (If there are any problems let me know)

If you are still stuck check out the old guide by Guardian_112, that can be found here.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 08-04-2007 @ 01:52 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 04 July 2007 10:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
    Can I ask why you should never use the camera track fire event thing?

||||||||||||||||My Videos||||||||||||||||
    Roxas, his heart was human, yet because of his status as a being his fate was sealed since he was born. How many times must humanity judge others like that as well without giving them a fair chance?

"It would be very irresponsible of me to give you my thoughts as you are clearly incapable of handling the ones you already have" ~some guy in OD
    posted 04 July 2007 10:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
    First of all NEVER check the run immediately box. It is completely pointless. Instead set the trigger to high priority, but use fire events to avoid lag.
    WRONG. Checking means that it fires before the god powers, standard techs, etc. are loaded.
    If you use 'Chat Contains' make sure it is on low priority
    Online only.
    If you are using camera tracks Never use the fire event box at the bottom of the track trigger. Instead insert a fire event in the same trigger.
    Using the fire event inside the camera track makes it go smoother. But indeed, there are some problems.
    Dont loop sound triggers. If you want a looping sound system then use the fire event box at the bottom of the sound filename effect. Using this you can safely loop triggers but if you add more effects, you are more likely to experience a sync error.
    I never heard anything regarding sync error problems, if you are basing this on own experience, then leave it out.
    Dont ever use more than 3 triggers with the same condition. You can use as many effects as you like without syncing the game.
    This is possible, if you use fire event to fire one later. I also have more quite often, helps to order your effects beter, and it really gives me problems.

And link to the old Gaurdian_112 guide for the trigger lock.

For the rest, it's pretty cool

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
    No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Paperfriend (edited 07-04-2007 @ 10:40 AM).]

posted 04 July 2007 10:39 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
    Also shouldn't you drum it into people to continusly save so they that can always revert . Also most (if not all) the problems listed are for Multiplayer. Are there any for offline play?

||||||||||||||||My Videos||||||||||||||||
    Roxas, his heart was human, yet because of his status as a being his fate was sealed since he was born. How many times must humanity judge others like that as well without giving them a fair chance?

"It would be very irresponsible of me to give you my thoughts as you are clearly incapable of handling the ones you already have" ~some guy in OD

[This message has been edited by Roxas (edited 07-04-2007 @ 10:49 AM).]

posted 04 July 2007 10:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
    I will add this to the Designer Starter Kit.

MEPH
    [Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
    posted 07 July 2007 04:12 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
    Yeebaa, could you add these:

Generally Have Problems
    Kill - Make sure all selected are of same player.
    Armies - THEY ARE LIMITED BY 30! Even when the units have died, they still count! You must use the "Clear Units" button to reset it to 0, although the deployed units will add to counter.
    Teleport Unit - Be sure the unit isn't moving already before using this effect. Ways to make sure the unit has stopped is to make it move to unit (itself). Or Change Unit Type./// Some objects may become invisible when teleported.

Out of Sync/Multiplayer Problems
    Effects or Conditions that don't specify a player (Visible to Player)
    Set Current HP (SNXT2) - Doesn't work.
    Abort Cinematic - OOS
    Animations - Don't work.
    Chat Contains - Out of Sync for 4+ players.
    Unit Create - Sometimes don't work. Use Army Deploy.
    Move to Point/Unit - Don't work.
    Units in LOS - Out of Sync for four players or more.
    Maps with triggers go out of sync when you play with ppl who have a different language then you. GUARENTEED.
    I've tested this with AOMPlayer000 who has a german game and I have a US game.
    To know if they have a different language, tell them to type 1 and enter (taunt 1). If you don't hear anything, they don't have an english game.
    The way to solve this is that he replaced his xpacklanguage.dll in his main AOM folder with a renamed english version of xpacklanguage.dll (probably downloaded the english patch and got the file from there).
    Army Deploy - If there's some human players and some computers, this won't deploy for the computer(s).
    Move Effects - Don't work on Nature.
    Moving Units in MP - Use Move From Area

Oups, double post!

MEPH

[This message has been edited by Mephiles (edited 07-07-2007 @ 04:13 AM).]

posted 07 July 2007 04:24 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
    K, but
    Maps with triggers go out of sync when you play with ppl who have a different language then you. GUARENTEED.
    WRONG!

And also check the spelling...

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 07-07-2007 @ 04:25 AM).]

posted 07 July 2007 05:47 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
    Yeebaagooon, that quote is about RMS, not normal scenarios.

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
    No matter what you say
    posted 07 July 2007 06:03 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
    Ah, curses! It never said that :/

posted 07 July 2007 08:42 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
    Dont use sound timer ever
    uhm i didnt had any trouble with it?
    posted 07 July 2007 09:35 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
    Not in multiplayer. And its the effect.

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 07-07-2007 @ 09:35 AM).]

posted 09 July 2007 01:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
    On multiplayer, the trigger that invokes a god power doesn't work. For example, creating a meteor shower every 200 seconds doesn't work.

Check out all of the mods I made here
    posted 09 July 2007 01:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
    Invoke God Power works.
    The player casting it needs LOS of the area where the power is being cast, and needs the godpower.
    posted 03 August 2007 04:38 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
    So if move to unit doesn't work online, does army move to unit work?
    posted 03 August 2007 04:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
    Yeebaagooon, credit Gaurdian for the original triggers stop working guide: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,16850,,all

oh you can wait for what I can give
    you know what I am so you know how I live
    try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
    its happening now and it’s always been like this.
    posted 03 August 2007 06:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
    If you are using camera tracks Never use the fire event box at the bottom of the track trigger.
    What are the things that might go wrong here? I've never encountered problems with it (as far as I know ^_^), so I'm just a little curious

Sweet baby maizes!
    posted 04 August 2007 01:50 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
    Ok. I think its because most triggers that use that fire event box have some code mucke dup. Im not sure why, it just happens. (It was the camera tracks and sound timers that kept syncing my first map)

posted 06 August 2007 03:06 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
    I know a multi player problem. Its the one that involves making a choice? chat choice i think? a box appears on the screen, and you can choose on of the two boxes. If you use it on a multi player game, it asks the other player too, and that causes a sync error. This is what happpened to me, though, so it could just be me. Check it yourself.
    posted 06 August 2007 04:42 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
    I know the one you mean. Yes, that doesn't work!

MEPH

posted 02 April 2016 09:31 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
    cool

posted 03 April 2016 09:42 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
    Nice, out of date and incorrect.

posted 03 April 2016 01:24 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
    *sigh* There was some truth to this. I know from experience.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Help with triggers article
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames