Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Norse Heroes!
posted 05 April 2002 10:54 PM EDT (US)   
Gawd! They suck! Now the Norse build their heroes like the Greeks. Why! ARRGH! I liked the old way.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
Replies:
posted 05 April 2002 10:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
calm down...b happy they have fightin heroes...unlike the Egyptians

posted 05 April 2002 11:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
Leif Ericson...you have 3 choices.

You can buy tons of guns, tons of ammunition, go on a rampage, and destroy practically all of ES until they change it.

Or you can email them.

Or you could so nothing.

Doesn't really matter to me how they're created, just as long as they do fight. I wish they were stronger though.

DK
posted 06 April 2002 01:26 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
Well the Norse are very unique as in they are the only culture to have the capability to mass heros.

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 04-06-2002 @ 01:27 AM).]

posted 06 April 2002 01:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
Norse heroes are a lot different from Greek heroes.

Norse heroes are more like pikemen countering paladins. They are as tough against regular units, but very easy to mass

Norse heroes gain more favor from kills.

Norse heroes are built from the Longhouse and not the Temple.

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 06 April 2002 06:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
a god power can turn all your villies into heroes

thats not to shabby either

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
posted 06 April 2002 12:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Yeah, but 1) U can't get that GP till the Mythic Age, and 2) By invoking Ragnarok, you're basically sending your economy to hell, and the Norse economy ain't that hot compared to the Greeks or Egyptians. Yeah, it looks great, but it's got a couple of big fat strings attached.

29th Greatest AoMH Forumer ever, former (and proud) FPH Templar
Winner of CC_Straight_Og's "Most Humorous Reply" award (though I still have no idea why ).
Winner of AgeofMe's "The Site Jerk" title (and I do have an idea why )
"Character is destiny." -Heraclitus
Official Mascot of the Age of Mythology Heaven forums!
posted 06 April 2002 12:40 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
Actually that gp can be used as a last resort to fend off attack.

Since infantry can build up, you can move elsewhere to build and start up economy. I am assuming in the late game as well you should have enough resources to fight to the end. So its not as bad as you wager, depends on how you use it.

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 04-06-2002 @ 12:40 PM).]

posted 06 April 2002 12:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
Yes, true. But that also creates, in turn, a major dependency on infantry for the Norse player-- if he loses his infantry and his longhouse, he's screwed. I am actually surprised that the Dwarves cannot act as builders, since dwarves created Mjolnir, Gungnir, and Gullinbursti.

Also, the Norse dependency on infantry is starting to make me think about my future AoM RM strategies. Compounded with the way that the Norse cultivate favor, and a Norse player is almost forced to be an early game fighter, which is something I am in DM, but not in RM.

Winner of CC_Straight_Og's "Most Humorous Reply" award (though I still have no idea why ).
posted 06 April 2002 12:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
ES is trying to make the Norse a "naked" aggressive culture. With their gold mining bonus from dwarfs, I assume they can build an army very early and attack to get favor. It all seems to work out.
posted 06 April 2002 01:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
But gamespot also said that the dwarves themselves cost gold, so that'll set u back. If they were to cost food, that's something else, though.

posted 06 April 2002 01:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
but they gather gold faster than regular villagers

posted 06 April 2002 01:40 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26  

Quote:

But gamespot also said that the dwarves themselves cost gold, so that'll set u back. If they were to cost food, that's something else, though.

I guess making villagers that get more food is a set back because they cost food as well...

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
posted 06 April 2002 02:46 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
I guess making villagers that get more food is a set back because they cost food as well...

Yeah, but food is far more easier to come by than gold, especially now with the unlimited farms and that resources are gonna be more randomized. The other thing is that infantry will cost gold, and since Norse villies cannot build, then your manpower is gonna be either shot or seriously stretched.

Don't get me wrong-- I don't think that Dwarves are bad, but I think that, at least right now, it'd be foolish to use up gold early in the game for them, despite their excellent mining skills.

posted 06 April 2002 10:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26  

Quote:

But gamespot also said that the dwarves themselves cost gold

But not how much...

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 06 April 2002 10:44 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
With Norse Heroes being easily massed, i think players who play against Norse will use less MU's.
posted 06 April 2002 11:51 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
maybe they should change the hersirs so after one does something particularily heroic eg. kills that pesky Collosus it gets promoted to a stronger classs of hero
posted 07 April 2002 12:28 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
But with Thor u could prolly do sum real interesting stuff, like go all dwarves if you cannot find your sheepies quick.
Possible Build Order (wiht AoK resources):
1) Send 2 villies and cart to gold, build 2 dwarves, send them to gold, then build a cart, send it to food and put all ur villies on food/wood, alternate dwarves and villies on gold/food, u can also use some of ur dwarves for wood since they aren't that bad at gathering it.
posted 07 April 2002 12:38 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  

Quote:

that also creates, in turn, a major dependency on infantry for the Norse player-- if he loses his infantry and his longhouse, he's screwed.

Au contraire!

Quoted from the Thor showcase:

A Norse player who loses his or her infantry is effectively dead, so the civ's most basic infantry, the ulfsark, can be trained from nearly anywhere, including the town center and the Norse barracks, the longhouse. Street even indicated that you can train them from some ships or through a god power.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
posted 07 April 2002 01:14 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
am i the only one who is loving the norse more and more after every bit of info.

they said that the norse will have more weaker hero units. (does making them cheaper?)

so the norse will be able to get a bigger amount of heros in the game quicker.

meaning that the norse will be able to get more relics than the greek ( more expensive heroes ) and the egyptian ( pharaoh and priest whom i bet isnt to cheap either ).

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
posted 07 April 2002 01:44 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
Right on Clarissimus.

Some say death is the end ; I say it is just the beginning.
posted 07 April 2002 02:53 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
Clarissmus: I concede defeat there. Do you want me to take 50 lashes, too?

Jus: Well, the other thing is that Hersir are apparently rather specialized, and it could just be a matter of out-guessing your opponent. Greek hoplites sound pretty damn strong, and gamespot said that Norse ulfsarks have a very strong attack. So you could either go for those strong units, or actually crank out some MUs, hoping to out-guess your Norse opponent.

posted 07 April 2002 03:18 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
Hmm... I leave for a few months, and the whole insane power of Norse units bites the dust.

I agree. I am heavily saddened that Norse heroes are no longer forged by their "kill count" in battle. I thought that captured the "prove-your-worth" aspect of Norse culture very well. Oh well. I'm sure ES decided what they did for the best of the gameplay.

However, if they are willing to make a God Power where the Norse heroes go insanely tough and deadly for a 10 minute or so period, I am willing to forgive them.

posted 07 April 2002 09:58 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
*gasp* TYR??? Hey man, great to see ya around! Turns out that u got one of the neatest god powers around now, buddy!

posted 08 April 2002 10:57 AM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
Re: Norse promotions for Heroes.

We tried this, and it just wasn't very fun in practice. There were too big problems: you couldn't control when or where you got heroes, meaning it wasn't much of a decision (the most important part of an RTS), and secondly you often didn't notice when the heroes were being created. They would often appear way out on the frontiers of your empire when you ideally wanted them in another location. Because MUs are a big part of the game, countering them is a big part of the game, and too important to be left to chance. Norse have to fight hard enough (literally) for Favor. Making them do that to counter other players' Favor (in the form of MUs) was just a bit much.

However, this concept hasn't gone away altogether, though you are going to have to wait a few showcases to find out what that means.

posted 08 April 2002 05:27 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
Thnx for the info DS.

And, once again, I hate you! Must you tease us!?!

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 08 April 2002 05:59 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
Lief, I wouldn't tell DS that u hate him. After all, don't u wanna be an AoM beta tester?

BTW, thanx for the info, DS. *begins bowing down to the mighty DeathShrimp again (maybe the tenth, hidden civ in AoM is the Cult of Deathshrimp! )*

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Norse Heroes!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames