New Files

Single Player Scenarios » The Nativity Cinematic

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Nativity Cinematic

Author File Description
Warmongerer
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
My first attempt at a full out cinematic movie. Featuring the well known christmas story, being that time of year. If you finish it, i threw in a unrelated christmas themed bonus. Its about six minutes for the main event, eight including the bonus.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
pharoh_elite
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Watchability: 2
Generally speaking, this cinematic was not very watchable. The text of the narrator was the only thing that really kept me interested. There was little on-screen action during the shots other than simple "move to" commands and when the camera was stationary, there was little if any attempt at animations or action. Your bonus scene, if anything, brought down your score as it was repetitive and boring, both in terms of watchability and the music. Your bonus scene was more like a showcase of your animation abilities just to let us know that you COULD do animations, even if you couldnt be bothered in the main cinematic. I don't quite understand how the bonus scene was "christmas themed" either.

Balance: 3
Standard. You started with smooth camera tracks however you got sloppy and started showing the edge of the map. There was also a unexpected jump to the Inn when Mary arrived there. The angels in the scene with the sheperds said they would leave and then remained standing on the meadow. At the end, one could heard the sound of a battle in the egyptian town and the randomly placed Scarab was a bit strange to say the least.

Creativity: 3
Again, standard. The only real exemplary bit of creativity was your shot of the wise men looking up at the Star in the sky. Other than this, your cinematic tended to use the smae camera angle, pitch and zoom and also tended to still to tracking units. The lack of variation severely damaged your mark. Please see the story heading for points regarding the story.

Map Design: 4
By far your forté. Great use of rocks and general terrain mixing, aswell as some building overlapping techniques. Was better than average but still not awe inspiring. Your enlargment of the atlantis connector was also a bit overdone on Herod's Palace.

Story/Instructions: 3
Very slow text flow. I understand you have to cater for slow readers but it was far too slow to be acceptable, and at times you varierd your speed and became much too fast. The story itself was sound but you didnt really make an attempt to put an individual perspective on the story. There was little creative input other than simply copying the story as it is commonly told. Even if your primary source is a well known story, you can still make it your own which you do not do.

Additional Comments:
Overall, not a bad first attempt but there is definate room for improvement, which is to be expected from a beginer in cinematics. Generally your music was a good choice although I may have opted of some more 'christmasy' music. There was also a large section that had no music at all. fix that. But thumbs up for a first attempt.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
It was fully playable. Installing the files where the directions said made it fully work. The Bonus Scene worked too, although it was repetitive so I wasn't sure how long it was supposed to last, but it ended with the song.

Balance: 5
It was a cinematic, so Balance was not an issue.

Creativity: 5
It was pretty creative, showing different scenes of the Nativity story, like the Annunciation to Mary.

Map Design: 5
This had pretty good map design because it switched between different scenes and locations.

Personally I wouldn't have chosen a fortress for the inn, and having the little Egyptian sarcophagus jars at the Annunciation didn't look right. They were meant to be decorations like houseware jars, so they didn't ruin the scene, but those sarcophagus jars wouldn't have been something that Mary's family would have had.

The music and dialogue were good too.

Story/Instructions: 4
The Story was good in that it followed the traditional Nativity story, so that it made sense. The instructions were clear as to how to install it.

My main criticism here is the Bonus scene. There is no explanation about what the Bonus scene means. It looks like different soldiers and myth units fighting, but there is no explanation of why they are fighting. My takeaway is that it is just a fun fight scene with fun music. That could be explained though in the Readme file.

Additional Comments:
I thought it was a good cinematic.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5