Multiplayer Scenarios » Germania Inferior

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Germania Inferior

Author File Description
Nick The Hun
(id: Nick_The_Hunn)
File Details
Screenshot:
# of Players: 7 (3 Norse, 3 Greek, 1 Comp)
Version: AoM: The Titans
Forum Thread: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,28993,,30

Germania Inferior

3 Germanic Tribes and 3 Roman Factions and a Computer Germanic Faction.

2 Batavian Tribes, 1 Frisian Tribe have to fight the Romans, open diplomacy will make it a beautiful game, in history the Batavians worked together with the Romans many times but in the end they used their knowledge of the Romans their strategy to kick them out.
Now it's all in your hands!

-Few relics
-Germanic Tribes have different bonusses
-Roman Factions have the same bonusses
-Strategic Terrain
-Geographical Landscapes
-Generals and Mercenaries come to your aid
-Supremacy with increased rates

Gods:
Player 1 - Norse
Player 2 - Norse
Player 3 - Norse
Player 4 - Greek
Player 5 - Greek
Player 6 - Greek
Computer 7 - Norse

Later I will add more mercenaries and generals based on historical facts.
Enjoy!!
If you find any bugs or problems, report them as you wish.

Forum Thread: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,28993,,30
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Spike Dragon When I try to extract it it seas "No files to extract". Pls help.
Nick The Hun
(id: Nick_The_Hunn)
File Author
Download Winrar or Winzip

For example from here: http://www.win-rar.com/
dmetrosuper have many heard about you, so map will be good too
rakovsky I originally thought that this is a later version of the Designer's other scenario, "Across Roman Borders", because on this Germania Inferior page, you link to a thread by that name, "Across Roman Borders". But they are separate.

In the AOM:EE Steam Workshop, Nick added this scenario to the Workshop with the note, "This game is probably bugged and not playable for multiplayer sadly. Because it's focused on multiplayer not singleplayer." The reason that it crashes is because it's an oversized map (1000 X 1000 dimensions) instead of the normal Editor's 800 X 800 limit. This is a known problem for Multiplayer scenarios with oversized dimensions.

In the Editor, GERMANIA INFERIOR has Players 1-6 as Unavailable and Player 7 as the CPU.
The Players' Civs/Gods in the Player menu are:
1. Odin
2. Thor
3. Odin
4. Zeus
5. Poseidon
6. Hades
7. Odin

Players 1-3 are allied with only each other and Players 4-6 are allied with only each other. Player 7 is enemied to everyone.

Based on my experience with other scenarios, making the Human Players' Personalities Unavailable instead of Human or CPU might make it crash with AOM:EE, but not with AOM:TT. For example, "BIBLICAL MUTATION V 0.9" set all the players to Unavailable instead of CPU or Human, and it worked on AOM:TT on Voobly but crashed on AOM:EE in Steam.

When I try GERMANIA INFERIOR with one other person only in the room and the rest as COMPS, GAMERANGER crashes it back to the lobby.

Next, I tried it with 6 Human Players on 2 teams total and a Comp as Player 7 while letting the players choose their respective Norse and Greek gods and the same crasb happened on Voobly. I think Voobly is a bit safer platform than Gameranger because Voobly makes sure that all the players have the right version. It's true that I might have gotten Player 4's choice wrong between Norse and Greeks (I don't remember), but I would have wanted to make sure that there was an equal number of Norse and Greek players and that the teams were equal. Anyway, I thought that getting the wrong God's cultures (Greek vs. Norse) shouldn't matter as far as the scenario's functioning goes.

[Edited on 06/04/21 @ 06:26 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 1

The scenario is meant for Multiplayer, but it doesn't work in Multiplayer, and the reason is certainly because the map size is too big. It crashes in both AOM:TT. The normal Map Editor lets you make maps up to 800 X 800 and having extremely large maps has been known to cause crashes on Multiplayer. One expert says that Dutton's Editor Super Pack lets you make maps 1000 X 1000, so that is what the Designer Nick must have used. Dutton told me that making a map 1000 X 1000 and reducing such a big map's size using a Map Size tool are two quite different things. Otherwise someone could fix this map by changing the size using the Map Size menu in the Editor.

Zenophobia and I went down the list of possible causes of this map's crash and that map size must be the cause. For instance, I got 6 Human Players to fill slots 1-6 on AOM:TT on Voobly and I picked Player 7 as the computer. I also made the players match the deities' cultural groups in the instructions (eg. Players 1-3 had Norse deities). Yet the scenario still crashed right after or during the loading screen in Multiplayer. The first 6 players have Unavailable as their Identity in the Player menu in the Editor, but that's not a problem in AOM:TT, based on my experience with other scenarios, as they are taken by Humans.

In talking with Nick the Designer on Steam, he told me that originally this map did work on the original ESO Multiplayer server for AOM, but after they closed it, it does not work on the currently available Multiplayer platforms (AOM:EE's Microsoft platform, Voobly, and Gameranger.)

In my view, even if the map did work, the giant map size is still a practical playability hurdle for gameplay because it forces you to micromanage the battles and resource gathering across the giant map. It makes gameplay much more drawn out, slow, and long, even if the victor is already clear.

-------------------

Balance: 4

The Red Roman Player has a big base - like a big fort and a separate town. The Purple Roman player and the Romans' Brown Norse (Dutch) enemy have smaller, kind of medium sized starting bases. The Yellow and Black Norse (ie. Dutch) players have big bases, actually split in two sections each, but they don't look as strong as the big Red Roman fort, although close. The Yellow player is the only one with a navy on the river. The Burgundy Roman player has a pretty small base, like just a TC and two cavalry or scouts.

It's kind of hard to tell how this would work out in terms of balance. It looks kind of balance, but not great, because Red is so strong and Burgundy is so small, even though they are on the same team. If Red was the weakest player and Burgundy the strongest on the Roman side, it would make a big difference compared to the opposite.

Creativity: 5
It's a very Creative map because of how each Player is given different layouts of starting bases, and it reminds me of how ancient Holland might have looked, since it's rather flat and either swampy or at least pondy.

One Creative thing I really liked was the little hills with torches and archers near the main Roman base. It reminded me of the Romans' practice of having signal towers or signal flares.

Map Design: 3
I really liked the aesthetics, with rivers, towns, forts, starting units, roads, and ponds. I think that the Roman side should have had roads or at least paths between their bases, at least more so. Roads were very important for the Romans. There was even a saying, "All roads lead to Rome" because of their emphasis on their road system.

My biggest complaint about the Map Design was the big map size. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. The main problem that it causes is that it crashes the map on Multiplayer. But even if that was not a problem, oversized maps are not great to play Multiplayer on, one reason being that it makes matches take longer and makes them more tedious, like as to finding straggler units from enemies that have been practically defeated. The Northwest 20 percent of this scenario has practically no units or cliffs or buildings and really could have been done without. The Designer could have made a map that was good if not better within the maximum 800 X 800 that the normal Map Editor allows.

Story/Instructions: 3
The Designer wrote a lot about this scenario on the forum, but the story in the description above and in the Objectives tab was minimal. For example, it says, "Generals requesting to lead your mighty armies and defend your humongous forts at the edge of Civilization." It could have said more about this in the Description, like what Roman generals were there in Holland. Or it could have said what years the Romans arrived, or which of those years this scenario describes.

The idea is generally straightforward of having a 3 v 3 battle, so it didn't need many instructions I think. But it still would be better, I think, to have more, like: What triggers the generals to come and help you, if they are trigger-based? The Hints section in the Objectives tab is empty.

Additional Comments:

If someone makes a tool that lets people reduce the size of scenario maps that are 1000 X 1000 in Dimension down to 800 X 800, 786 X 786, or 768 X768 (depending on the maximum size that the Multiplayer servers will run, this map could be made to function in Multiplayer. I talked with Nick in Chat on STEAM and he was not in favor of reducing the map to 512 X 512 size, which is the maximum size that the Editor reduces maps to. That is, AOM lets you make maps bigger than 512 x 512, but it doesn't let you reduce maps to bigger than that size.

[Edited on 06/11/21 @ 02:28 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance4.0