Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Modpacks » Brave New World v2.0

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Brave New World v2.0

Author File Description
Kirky Picardo PLEASE NOTE THIS MOD REQUIRES THAT UPATCH 1.4 IS INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER!

It has been one year and one day since the brave new world v1.0 was made available. It was definitely time for an update! And after approximately 10-11 months of working on this, I now feel it is ready for release. There has been a ton of content added which I hope BNW players will enjoy. A fixed version of BNW 1.0 is also included in this package which is essentially the v1.1 version which had been making its way thru cyberspace. The only changes to this version are necessary ones in the unit bodies section of the editor so some fixed ILBs are set up properly. I felt it important that this should be included as well.

For players unfamiliar with the original, I should explain that this is a mod which places a great emphasis on heroes. Developing your heroes is an extremely important aspect of game-play and if you do so you will find they are capable of great deeds. This time around, as well as having distinctive portraits, each hero also has a unique body graphic and gone is the generic rider-type for each race. Expect to battle with great looking heroes who smoothly jog around the battlefield with very fluid and realistic animations.

This mod also is very much a tactical combat mod. The battles you have to fight are much more difficult than in the normal game and you will have to defeat powerful creatures as you struggle to expand your empire.

As players of the original might expect, there are many new and exciting creatures which have been added. Some are beautiful while some are bizarre, and still others are downright scary!

You can also expect to find many new artifacts, new map structures, changes to spells and abilities (plus a few new ones) and much, much more!

Finally I will just say that the mod comes with an easy install (same as the original) and this time around we have included some good documentation for you with illustrated tables and lots of information.

So prepare thyself brave one, for the new world beckons!

Kirky
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
ACEofHeart Absolutely fantastic work. The variety of new units and wizards is a feast for this gamers eyes.
Only question I have tho,, is this mod only for Random Map games..? I didn't see anything regarding this is any of the instructions...
Kirky Picardo
File Author
Hi Ace,

First of all thank you very much for the nice comments :)

As to your question, to play custom maps with this mod simply follow these steps:

1. Make sure BNW v1.0 is selected as your custom resource.

2. Run the AOW SM Editor.

3. Open the map you wish to play then save it under a new filename.

You will now be able to play the new map with this mod.

If you have any trouble or require further assistance please let me know.

Kirky

[Edited on 04/27/05 @ 09:41 PM]

ACEofHeart
Rating
Rating: 4.5
(Insert Rating analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Would give it a 5 if it was usable in regular scenarios and the campaign.. but for Generated Maps its the best I've seen.
cowboys94
Rating
Rating: 5

Additional Comments:
I have downloaded alot of files from this site for AoW2 & SM..and Ive never rated,so for that i would like to apoligize..but when i saw this mods new units..I had to write and say THANK YOU. I havent played it yet..but ive looked at the new units in editor and they look absolutly amazing.How yall got them to look so good is brilliant. Seems like a very nice mixture of units as well..and when i saw the "MechWarrior" lol...well i never thought i'd see a mechwarrior in this game lol. I can only imagine the time it took do this mod.But thanks a million.For me there can never be enough diffrent types of units lol. And another thing..thanks for making it so easy to install..alot of the mods ive downloaded i cant never get to work because u have to erase files here and copy them there..and place this there and what not.And this was just a click and it installed itself.I cant wait for maps to start coming out for this mod. The only thing that would of held back on score i think was the number of wizards..would of thought that there would have been more..but hey u cant get everything you want lol. Are there plans of adding more of everything on future updates to the mod seeing how this is only v1.0. It would be awesome if new versions added even more units and heroes and etc.. Anyways thanks again all of u did a great job. Take a bow gentleman....BRAVO!
Das123
Rating
Similar to the other comments, this mod is an absolute joy to install and play. The new units look great and give the races a 'purer' feel than in the original AOW:SM. The balance of the wizard races is great as well. When playing a random map you can expect a good cross section of races. If more wizards are added in the future, I hope this balance will be maintained.

The AI seemed more difficult to play against. It may be that the wandering monsters are much stronger now so it takes a while before you can reach the other players, by which time they have built a solid defence.

Additional Comments:
This is an awesome mod. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend downloading it. Thanks for the effort putting this together. It's like playing a new release of AOW.
ACEofHeart Would be helpful to know what changes you made other than the great ghaphics..
All I know so far is that:
1. Roaming neutral creatures are plentiful and nearby, so any thoughts of leaving your Wizard alone in an intial starting city too early will result in a loss.
2. Neutral creatures guarding resources are much stronger...
3. Ending battles however are not changed as much..
Kirky Picardo
File Author
First of all let me thank you all for the comments. Now let me see if I can maybe answer some questions that have been asked.

This mod comes with documentation that gives a general overview and list some of the changes. However, it is by no means a comprehensive guide. As stated in these docs, such a guide will be made available in the future. At which point there will most likely me an update of some kind that may include additional changes or new things.

I can tell you now that I will look into making the mod more compatible with existing maps. Many maps can be played with this mod now simply by loading and saving them under this rule set in the editor. But I will look to see if this can be made possible without having to do this. However, to have 100% compatability with all maps as well as the campaign...well that may be asking too much I'm sorry to say. The slot changes, new wizards and various other things that are intrical parts of my mod may just not be possible to have in the campaign especially. So honestly, I think its best to just concentrate on making it easier to play other maps.

Now, that being said, I do not think that the lack of a comprehensive guide should mean that everything is a complete mystery either, so let me at least try to shed a little light here and explain some stuff in more detail.

First of all, the difficulty level of this mod is quite a bit greater than the normal game. In the description I wrote:

Expect to fight bigger battles vs. more powerful creatures as you struggle to expand your empire.

As some of you may of discovered this was not an exageration. The battles you have to fight are very hard and you will need to adapt your playing style to compensate for this. I would recommend looking around and picking early battles based on what you need most and what you feel confident fighting. Finding early recruitment sites can obviously help as can the use of enchantments on your heroes and best units.

Wandering creatures like everything else are more powerful here. However the amount of wandering creatures is determined by map settings. I would very much recommend that until you are comfortable and familiar with this mod you set independents to few or even none when playing random maps.

Also, I dont think I can emphasize enough how important it is to take care of your heroes. With enough experience they can really become very special.

Finally, let me just say that while some things may be different than the normal game, this mod is still very much shadow magic. It is not a monopoly game or something totally new. It is still shadow magic but with harder fights vs. more powerful unit and greater emphasis on hero development.

If anyone has specific questions about this mod you are welcome to post them here or in the mod-making forum. If you prefer you can also e-mail me at:

Capt_Kirk_Picard@hotmail.com

I will do my best to answer any questions you may have in a timely manner.

Thanks again.

Kirky

Fearflame
Rating

Additional Comments:
This mode that Kirk_Picardo has worked on is a brilliant master piece infact I don't think Picard or Capt. Kirk themselves could have been more creative. The new graphics are fantastic and really bring a game which had been becoming kind of old and stale back to life. Brilliant CPR work here the pulse was weak but now it's like you've given the game that little blue pill it needed to become fun. In all seriousness the game plays great and it is so much harder you really have to be more strategic and smart in the way you play the game otherwise say goodbye to Wazz, Morrandir or any other hero you think is tough because on this map there are no super heroes. Well done foo!
Fearflame
Death master Have not tryed this mod much yet so dont have to much to say but kirky have done a great job :)
Lancey
Rating

Additional Comments:

A very good mod that Kirky spent many hours tweaking and adding a score of new content. I am proud to say I and some other foos helped Kirky test this mod thoroughly and it is done to perfection. I have tested and played many of the Age of Wonders mods out there and none quite measure up to this one. This mod is quite like having an expansion pack to the game, in fact it probably has more content then most expansion packs you buy today. There is many new monsters added, there is 3 new monsters in each town and some replace some of the older useless monsters. Dwellings like the circus and cave also have new monsters to hire and guarding them as well. No longer will you be able to take your wizard out by himself and clean the map, this mod requires you to think through each fight and gives it a much needed boost to the overall difficulty of the game. The graphics for the monsters and the new wizard pics are pure eye candy! I highly reccomend this game to anyone playing Shadow Magic as this improves on an already fantastic game. If you are playing this mod and would like to play with some veteran players then please contact me via MSN messenger.

stjbird@home.com (MSN messenger ID)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:23,160