Please login or register

Zeus: Game Help
Moderated by Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to install downloaded adventures ...post #10
posted 11-06-02 20:15 ET (US)   
The downloads are supposed to go into a map folder that doesnt exist and when I install them into adventures THEY CRASH MY GAME!!!!!!!!!!! Can someone tell me exactly what I have to do? Also I have the enhancement pack but do I have to have POsieden as well? PLEASE help
Replies:
posted 11-07-02 00:08 ET (US)     1 / 27  
If you are downloading from the Zeus download page, there will be either a Y (indicating that it is an adventure requiring Poseidon Expansion pack), or an N (indicating it does not require the expansion). Secondly, you must create a folder with the EXACT name of the pak. file in the Adventures folder. Then extract all files to the newly created folder. Also, then you must copy the pak. file directly to the adventure folder itself. Just keep at it. I know it's confusing and a little aggrevating. I had this problem myself, and it took a few tries before I realized what I needed to be doing. Hope this helps

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
"It isn't bad for you if you won't live long enough for it to have any effect." - Brad4321
"But it would be hell of a lot harder to do a drive by shooting with a steak knife, don't you think?" - Messiah
"I always shoot my sense of humor before coming here." - Von
"And what's wrong with sucking? At least someone gets pleasure from it!" - ArcticWind7

[This message has been edited by Octavius Maximus (edited 11-07-2002 @ 00:10 AM).]

posted 11-07-02 01:13 ET (US)     2 / 27  
Octavius

Thanks so much I'll try that and see what happens!

posted 11-07-02 01:24 ET (US)     3 / 27  
Octavius

So I tried that and I got all the way to the 'Go to City' on the adventure and it crashed back to the desktop, with an illegal execution! I think I followed all the instructions you gave me, except I'm a bit confused with the naming the folder thing, you mean the 'exact name?'. Please help

posted 11-07-02 02:07 ET (US)     4 / 27  
For example: if the adventure you want to use has a pak. file named The 7th Wonder.pak, you need to create the folder in the adventure folder and it must be named The 7th Wonder. (Exactly like the pak. file, using any capitalization, spaces, etc.). You say you get to the "Go to City" and it crashed back to the desktop? You may need to uninstall and reinstall Zeus. Don't forget to reinstall the enhancement pack, (if you had to download it and add it to Zeus, that is), and then you will have to again follow the procedure detailed above for adding the user adventure, as it will be to do again. Let me know how it turns out.

Oh, yes, one more thing: This qualifies as a technical problem, and should have originally been posted in the technical forum (below the town square). Not being smart or anything, but the staff will eventually tell you the same thing.

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
"It isn't bad for you if you won't live long enough for it to have any effect." - Brad4321
"But it would be hell of a lot harder to do a drive by shooting with a steak knife, don't you think?" - Messiah
"And what's wrong with sucking? At least someone gets pleasure from it!" - ArcticWind7

[This message has been edited by Octavius Maximus (edited 11-07-2002 @ 02:11 AM).]

posted 11-08-02 06:58 ET (US)     5 / 27  
im getting posiedon right now, and it as hard to do the editor as the one your talking about?

"Follow a cow? The Preistess from the oracle said to follow a cow?"
posted 11-08-02 23:40 ET (US)     6 / 27  
Gold Cow, (Interesting name), what this discussion is about is downloading user-created adventures. These are adventures created with the adventure editor and put on the Zeus download page in Zeus Heaven for all of us forumers to play. The adventure editor is complex, but if you follow the instructions contained in the manual, (either handbook or on your CD), you should have no trouble.

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
posted 11-09-02 07:25 ET (US)     7 / 27  
oh, thanks Octavius Maximus! just wanted to make sure.

"Follow a cow? The Preistess from the oracle said to follow a cow?"
posted 11-12-02 22:47 ET (US)     8 / 27  
OK, Octavius, now I'm really confused. I downloaded an adventure that said DO NOT copy PAK files into adventure folder, so I didn't and the games showed up in my Custom missions but STILL will not play, starts and says 'Advnture text not found' and then crashes back to the desk top!!
posted 11-12-02 23:39 ET (US)     9 / 27  
What was the name of the adventure, and who was the author?

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
posted 11-13-02 16:24 ET (US)     10 / 27  

Quote:

OK, Octavius, now I'm really confused. I downloaded an adventure that said DO NOT copy PAK files into adventure folder,

I have a hunch the way it was written may be similar to the way I wrote most of my readme's.

The wording would be COPY, DO NOT CUT THE PAK FILE, into your Adventures folder.

So once again, I will write out the steps for installing User created maps.

A) Make sure that the map you are downloading is suitable for your game. If the map was created with the Poseidon editor, you will need Poseidon to play it. These maps will be noted in the downloads section with a "Y" beside the filename.

To install a user map follow the below instructions.

1) Create a folder in your Zeus Adventures folder named exactly the same as the custom adventure you are planning on installing. Make sure that the folder name is identical to the PAK file included in the ZIP and NOT the name of the ZIP file. Some zip files closely match the contents of the zip in name, but small differences will make the file useless.

So example... the Pak file is named Treasure_Hunt.pak
You will need to create an Adventure folder called Treasure_Hunt, This folder must be located inside the Adventures folder you already have. The folder must be named identically to the Treasure_Hunt Pak file. treasure-hunt, Treasure_hunt, or treasure hunt would not work. Remember it MUST BE EXACT.

So you will end up with something like this.

C:\Impressions Games\Zeus\Adventures\Treasure_Hunt

Once the folder is created, extract the files as follows.

Place the .Pak and .txt files inside this folder. If the user file contained .set files, .map files and .mp3 files, these would also go into that folder.

Now you should have something like this.

C:\Impressions Games\Zeus\Adventures\Treasure_Hunt\Treasure_Hunt.pak
C:\Impressions Games\Zeus\Adventures\Treasure_Hunt\Treasure_Hunt.txt etc.

In the original version of the game, players were often having problems getting user created maps to work. The way around this was to also include a copy of the custom pak file in the main Adventures directory. So in addition to the above, COPY, DO NOT CUT the Pak file from the custom adventure into your main Adventures directory.

You will have this

C:\Impressions Games\Zeus\Adventures\Treasure_Hunt.pak

Hope this helps you out.

Please remember that Poseidon created adventures, will not work with Zeus.

One day I will get used to the fact that life just happens. Until then, I will pretend that I serve a purpose.-- DarkLord
posted 11-14-02 00:02 ET (US)     11 / 27  
Thanks, bobT. I have been trying to say everything you said, I just haven't had the practice you have in reciting it!

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
posted 11-14-02 19:53 ET (US)     12 / 27  
hmmm. hehehhe I think I have posted that on a few threads in here

One day I will get used to the fact that life just happens. Until then, I will pretend that I serve a purpose.-- DarkLord
posted 04-28-06 17:07 ET (US)     13 / 27  
some colored person really needs to change the name of this thread and make it a sticky

Why do I always get blamed when Weave shows up dead?
posted 04-28-06 17:19 ET (US)     14 / 27  
Thanks Debbie

"Can I draw you a beer, Norm?"
"No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one."
Cheers !!
posted 08-07-06 23:39 ET (US)     15 / 27  
im not sure if this is on topic or not, but for the completed cities downloads, do you just need to extract the .sav file, or is there a .pak file you should need too? or does the .sav file save events and other settings too?

if that WAS off topic, heres something to stay on topic...
at the Zeus downloads page, you said there would be a y or n next to the file name... where exactly is this? ive found some that i know are Zeus, and i found some that are Poseidon, but i cant really tell unless Poseidon only things are mentioned.

posted 08-08-06 03:03 ET (US)     16 / 27  
sertrbl;
Completed cities download section should only have 'sav' file type. The 'sav' is the only file you need to view the completed city. 'sav' files go into C:\Impressions Games\Zeus\Adventures and are selected via 'Load Saved Adventure' in the main menu or 'Load Adventure' under the Files listing while playing.

The Download sections have changed since the original postings. The need for the 'y/n' Poseidon indicator are no longer needed. All the files have been separated into either Zeus or Poseidon. If you do not have the Poseidon addon pack then stay in the Zeus sections. Those people with Poseidon can use the files in all sections.

[This message has been edited by shaun1 (edited 08-08-2006 @ 03:22 AM).]

posted 08-08-06 08:14 ET (US)     17 / 27  
Actually, the .sav files of completed cities should go in the C:\Impressions Games\Zeus\Save\YOURNAME folder, where YOURNAME is the leader name you use. I like to create a separate leader in Zeus for downloaded saved games, so I know which saved games are my own and which aren't

Angel Pecunia | HG Downloads programmer and techie
Caesar IV Heaven | Children of the Nile Heaven | Citadel of Poseidon (Zeus/Poseidon) | The Great Wall (Emperor)
posted 08-08-06 08:31 ET (US)     18 / 27  
Pecunia is correct. Her method is more organized then my method.
posted 10-10-06 10:56 ET (US)     19 / 27  
It does seem to bear repeated emphasis:

If the flle is named "Treasure_Hunt.pak"
then the directory must be named "Treasure_Hunt"

Treasure Hunt will not work
Treasure.Hunt will not work
treasure_hunt will not work
TrEaSuRe-HUNT will not work

posted 04-02-09 14:26 ET (US)     20 / 27  
Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone is still on this forum or interested but I'm having a problem with installing custom adventures. The games load perfectly but the text doesn't show in the opening screen. I've followed the instructions here to the letter but it hasn't resolved the problem. I've tried this with two different adventures (Demeters Cult and Cyprus).

Sappho
posted 05-09-09 20:44 ET (US)     21 / 27  
Hi Sappho,

I also had the same problem and decided to download and install the Zeus patch in the download section.

After that I downloaded the Demeters Cult adventure and copied the folder inside the ZIP folder into the Adventure Folder.

I didn't make a copy of the .PAK file and copy that into the adventure folder directly like Satanic Cowboy said earlier. Just copied the whole Demeter folder into the Adventure Folder. After that it seemed to work fine.

Let me know if this worked for you too.

Brownboyslim
posted 10-04-12 13:01 ET (US)     22 / 27  
Hi Bobt

You're post about how to install adventure packs has been a life saver! A couple of downloaded games haven't worked and I didn't know why. Did what you had written down and they work perfectly! ^_^
posted 08-14-16 04:35 ET (US)     23 / 27  
I'm trying to download this file: http://zeus.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=882

However, when I click download, I don't know what option to save/open to, can someone help?
posted 08-14-16 06:20 ET (US)     24 / 27  
@Lose: Welcome to Zeus Heaven

When you download the file, save it to your desktop (it should be a ZIP file). Then you can use either the Windows "extract files" option or you can download 7-Zip/WinRAR to extract the zip file. The file instead should then be placed in the save game folder in the Zeus install directory.
posted 08-20-16 13:21 ET (US)     25 / 27  
@Sajuuk: Thank you for the help.

Me? Fly? No, jump good.

WAJACK!

[This message has been edited by Lose (edited 08-20-2016 @ 01:21 PM).]

posted 11-15-21 00:09 ET (US)     26 / 27  
[ Message deleted by Pecunia at 11-17-2021 05:29 AM ]
posted 02-24-22 13:09 ET (US)     27 / 27  
Some downloaded adventure is missing in Zeus or Posseidon adventures or custom adventures!

My last working solution:

1. Exit game. Rename downloaded and Extracted Adventure Folder with some new name (without interval/space).
Exapmle - original folder name is: The Titans -> new name: ATitans.
2. Rename all files in new folder with exactly same new name, but save the rest of file name and extension.
Example - ATitans folder:
The Titans.pak -> ATitans.pak
The Titans.set -> ATitans.set
The Titans.txt -> ATitans.txt
The TitansC1.map -> ATitansC1.map
The TitansC2.map -> ATitansC2.map
The TitansP.map -> ATitansP.map
The TitansP.png -> ATitansP.png etc...

3. Put the new folder ATitans in Game folder/Adventures
4. Copy ATitans.pak in Adventure Folder.
5. Start game and enjoy.

I hope my decision helps someone.

[This message has been edited by Nikka (edited 02-24-2022 @ 01:10 PM).]

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Zeus: Game Help » How to install downloaded adventures ...post #10
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames