Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The four phases of city-building
posted 08-18-00 04:24 ET (US)   
This is a little mini-essay I've been working on for a few days now, and I think it gives a very good picture of the way I now build cities. I think it's more of an insight into my C3 philosophy than anything groundbreaking, but there may be the odd titbit that you find useful in here somewhere

Since this will probably end up as a minor epic (good intentions notwithstanding), I'll start it in the next post.

Alan

Replies:
posted 08-18-00 05:21 ET (US)     1 / 26  
Here goes... you'll have to excuse me for borrowing shamelessly from the vocabulary of polymer chemistry

Phase 1: Initiation
This phase begins with the start of the level and ends when you have established your city as an economically self-sufficient entity. During this phase you develop and maximise your trade income to provide the necessary funds to keep Caesar off your back and continue growing your city. The step-by-step guide runs a bit like this:

• Lay down the first housing block (c. 65 tiles), and provide it with clean water and 5 temples.

• Start the first export industry.

• Start feeding folks, and soak up the excess unemployment in export industry number two.

• Add entertainment and education facilities to the housing block - use the employment for export industry three, or (on more dangerous levels) to start up the army.

• If unemployment runs out, and trade is still not maximised, then add a second housing block to provide the workers.

Obviously there is a need to be flexible here. Depending on the size of your first export industry, second (and subsequent) export industries may be started a little later in the scheme. Precisely when you start your army depends on how soon you are expecting an invasion, but it should always be after the first export industry. Army building is an ongoing process that will often continue well into phase two.

Phase one ends when your export industries are maxed out, and most housing is at small casa. You have established the economic base for the city, and it is now time to expand.

Phase 2: Propagation
At the end of phase one, your city is still in its infancy, with, in all probability, a small population, mostly employed in making you money. In order to grow your city, while still remaining self-sufficient, you will gradually need to look towards a second source of income: taxes.

When the first housing block reaches small casa, I add a forum, and put my tax rate above 0 for the very first time. Thereafter, a forum is added to every housing block as soon as it reaches small casa. Everyone in the city must pay their way. Of course, while you will make a fair amount of money by taxing your workforce, it is much more lucrative to tax a different group of people: those wine-swilling patricians.

The first act of phase two in my cities is to begin the first patrician housing block. I always try to evolve Patrician housing to the highest possible level: Luxury Palace if possible, Grand Villa if not. An additional plebeian block is developed alongside the patrician block to provide the necessary labour.

Depending on the target population, and prosperity, it may be necessary to add a second patrician block, together with another plebeian block to supply labour.

In addition to the patrician blocks, phase two also involves the establishment of domestic finished goods industries to supply the patrician blocks, and, later, the plebeian blocks. Once again, additional plebeian blocks may be necessary to furnish the required number of employees.

Phase two of my cities ends when all the patrician blocks, most of the plebeian blocks, and the domestic industries have been established. Your target prosperity rating and population should now be within your reach. You now enter the finishing straight.

Phase 3: Termination
Phase three is the endgame. In the last few years of my cities, I set tidying up all the loose ends in my city. In other words, I attend to my culture rating. The employees required for this task are usually furnished by developing my plebeian blocks to their final level (usually small insulae), and occasionally by adding an additional plebeian block. Libraries, Theatres, Schools and Academies are added wherever there is space. Nowadays the majority of my housing blocks contain space for additional culture buildings, but a degree of 'culture parking' tends to occur if my target is 100 culture. Once you have achieved your culture rating, you have only to wait for that peace rating to rise.

You will notice that I referred to the four phases of city-building. Doubtless you are wondering what happened to phase four. Well, I have been a little bit sneaky here. The fourth phase of citybuilding is actually the first - phase zero, as it were.

Phase 0: Planning
This is, in my opinion, the most important phase of city-building. Many mistakes can be avoided by the simple expedient of a little planning. However, the amount of planning you do is entirely up to you. That said, I would recommend the following as a bare minimum:

• Exports
    What you intend to export and how many raw material producers and workshops you will need. Also where export industries will be located.

• Housing areas
    The approximate location of any housing areas, and the intended housing level.

• Food and Goods
    The location of farms/wharves, and the approximate location of domestic goods industries.

• Military
    The composition of your army, and the approximate location of any defences (walls, towers, forts).

Hope this was useful to someone

Alan
Please note that some clarification has been added following Brugle's excellent comments

[This message has been edited by Caesar Alan (edited 08-18-2000).]

posted 08-18-00 06:10 ET (US)     2 / 26  
When looking ad your fases I saw that I normaly split fase 1 in two fases I first get my exports going with tent housing.
after I have anough money and workers Then I start to ad food industries and market theater school and forum.

so I really split your fist fase into two fases. I plan the housing ofcourse for the long run so with the end level in mind.

GK.

posted 08-18-00 08:32 ET (US)     3 / 26  
Hi Caesar Alan,

A very nice essay. Of course, since our city-building styles are quite similar, I may be a little prejudiced.

One small point concerning city defense. I like to build 6 forts (it only takes money), so fully training the army takes a long time (well into Phase 2). And in dangerous missions (such as Sarmizegetusa), I like to start the army along with food and the second export industry (if not earlier).

posted 08-18-00 08:38 ET (US)     4 / 26  
whoa... I must try that out.
Now caesar will stop trying to arrest me...

All roads lead to a small golden hamster.
(from RecklessRodent)
posted 08-18-00 09:59 ET (US)     5 / 26  
Futher to Brugle's excellent observation, I think it is necessary to clarify that this whole scheme is not quite as rigid as I have made it sound. A degree of flexibility is necessary. Depending on the size of your first export industry, it may take longer to fully develop, in which case starting the second (and subsequent) export industries will be delayed somewhat.

When an early invasion is likely (for example, on the later military levels and in some custom scenarios) it is of course sensible to start your army a bit earlier, but always after the first export industry is up and running. I also accept the point that training the army is an ongoing process that often runs into phase two (or even three) of the scheme I outlined

I will edit the main post to this effect...

Alan

[This message has been edited by Caesar Alan (edited 08-18-2000).]

posted 08-18-00 23:19 ET (US)     6 / 26  
Ave Caesar Alan!

Your idea is great. Those four points - "Planning, Initiation, Propogation, and Termination" - should be the golden rule of any C3 player. Perhaps the website managers would be kind enough to find a place to keep it available, like say the strategy section?

I think sticking to the basic idea while allowing for flexibility is a good idea. May I add a few notes to that effect?

- For instance, in not all cities is it really necessary to build up a portion of your housing to villa/palace level, nor is it always possible or practical to do so. Take Lugdunum for instance, that level is challenging enough without worrying about providing all the services to evolve housing that far, not to mention the space needed and the loss of labor. Perhaps in the 'Planning' stage, you'd want to consider one of two options, another excellent idea I ran across while looking through walkthroughs - either have nearly all your housing evolved at the level needed to meet the Prosperity requirement, or have some of your housing relatively low and the rest at Luxury Palace to cover prosperity. In the case of Lugdunum, I find the former a preferable strategy.
Was it paultheo who came up with the prosperity strategy? I'm afraid I don't recall exactly

- In the military provinces, sometimes you can delay building your armies slightly, if you can get the blessing from Mars early on. Sometimes this might be necessary, as getting your military started can be very expensive, and you won't have a lot of money to throw around until you've really got exports going along.

- GK makes a good point by 'dividing' the first phase, having phases 1a and 1b if you will, the preliminary having almost the lowest level of housing possible to get exports going, and the secondary building that housing up to small casa. This would then be a great time to decide whether or not you want to make luxury palaces or not (i.e. do you want to evolve this housing further, or leave it and concentrate on palaces?)

- If you're starting in a cold province (i.e. dark green and no fire threat), don't forget in the Initiation stage to wall in the wolves!

All things considered, I think you can't go wrong following this strategy. Praise Caesar Alan!

Caesar Andre
Servant of the Empire, Leader of Legions, Slave to no one except my iMac
posted 08-21-00 02:27 ET (US)     7 / 26  
excellent essay!

except for the obligatory temples, prefecture and engineer, I ususally add a doctors clinic to my first housing block. Not truly necessary, but some levels seem to run zsmoother (less chance for diseases) with a doctors clinic right from start)

[Omnium harum gentium virtute praecipui Batavi]
posted 08-21-00 17:43 ET (US)     8 / 26  
Excellent write-up, Alan.

As a fellow chem buff, I'd surmise that rate(success)=k*[Skill][Planning]².

~Dave

[This message has been edited by DaveG (edited 08-21-2000).]

posted 08-22-00 13:37 ET (US)     9 / 26  
Wow CA, I just got C3, and this will be of great use to me

Thanks buddy.....

posted 08-23-00 09:15 ET (US)     10 / 26  
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the response to this. I seem to have provoked some excellent, considered, responses

Caesar Andre I fully accept your point about deciding between having all your city at an elevated plebeian level, or a mix of patrician and lower-level plebeian housing. Lugdunum is, if I remember correctly, the last career city which I built using only plebeian housing. I have also successfully completed Lugdunum on a second attempt using patrician housing (and I intend to do so again this weekend ). Both methods are plausible, but I tend nowadays to lean towards the patrician approach, unless, of course, it is impractical/impossible.

I too have a habit of kissing up to Mars in the more dangerous provinces, but I try not to rely on him taking care of my first invasion. I prefer to have at least a legion of javelins by that point. Whether or not this is possible naturally depends on the amount of starting funds available.

I chose to assign my phases by what I see as the natural breaks in the game, where your long-term goals change. Phase one has the long-term goal of maximising trade revenue; phase two the goal of expanding population and taking care of the prosperity rating; and phase three sorts out your culture, favour, and peace ratings. Naturally this is not the only way to divide up the game, and others will doubtless find it more instructive to divide things up in a different way.

And yes, I wall (well, aqueduct) in the wolves too

Citizen Paul Same here. All my housing blocks come with the elementary protection from fire, damage, disease, and thunderbolts from heaven

Dave I'd be forced to agree... and for the majority of cities, k is a very small number indeed

Darth Glad you found this useful. Doubtless we shall be calling you Caesar in the not-too-distant future.

Alan

[This message has been edited by Caesar Alan (edited 08-23-2000).]

posted 08-24-00 15:58 ET (US)     11 / 26  
Great job CA!
posted 09-19-00 23:41 ET (US)     12 / 26  
Yo Caesar Alan!!! U stated that u lay down 65 tiles to start. Is this a stright line? Or a block. If a block what does it look like? Txsisuallis
posted 09-20-00 12:17 ET (US)     13 / 26  
Hi Redmanicus Gimesumtnas,

I can't speak for Caesar Alan, but my building style is somewhat similar. My initial vacant lots are always placed in the block that supplies labor access to the initial export industry. (That block probably won't be fully developed for a while--it might even become a luxury housing block--but I'll plan its eventual fate before starting.) I might spread the first batch of vacant lots around in multiple blocks, if there are scattered export industries or food sources that need to be staffed early.

My blocks are usually "loop" or "single-ring" blocks--a loop of road separated from food/goods/entertainer sources by a gatehouse. Many (probably not all) of the houses are on the outside of the loop, to supply labor access to nearby buildings. So far, except for a couple of simple small casa blocks, I've built different blocks in all cities.

posted 09-20-00 20:30 ET (US)     14 / 26  
As Brugle said, we have similar building styles. When I lay down my first set of housing, it is usually in a block which provides access to my first export industry. Occasionally, when the first export industry is built around an isolated raw material, then I will build just a few houses nearby to provide labour access, and a housing block elsewhere.

Again, my housing blocks tend to vary from map to map, but a recurring theme at the moment is this block (and variations thereon)

Alan

posted 09-21-00 03:17 ET (US)     15 / 26  
All Hail Caesar Alan and Brugle. I bow to your greatness. You both helped me a great deal and I Thank U both. Thats s just what I wanted to know. Also what is really the highest housing level that only has plebs? Is it really Grand Insule???? as I,ve seemed to have seen somewhere. Built a city up to 10,000 pop. It was with 9x9 blocks up to large insule using 8 blocks and a 7x7 to medium insule and was allways needing workers. Played threw all the peacefull games learning my way threw and this was the first time i tryed to build a city without palaces and it was different. Never had a worker problem before. The city was Lutetia. I only built what was needed at the time. Really seemed to me that workers would would be needed right after they became large? Txsisuallis

[This message has been edited by Redmanicus Gimesumtnas (edited 09-21-2000).]

posted 09-21-00 03:57 ET (US)     16 / 26  
Redmanicus The highest plebeian housing level is indeed grand insulae. You can experience worker shortages at large insulae, though, since it is at that stage that you require libraries. Libraries take a lot of workers (20), so if you have several small areas of housing that soon adds up.

Alan

posted 09-21-00 17:27 ET (US)     17 / 26  
Small casas are the best housing for unemployement IMO because they require NO goods. Having unemployement at large insulae is a LOT harder IMO.
posted 09-21-00 17:51 ET (US)     18 / 26  
large scale unemployment means a few things to me in a well-delevoped city:

• a(nother) palace block!

• a huge entertainment complex!

• a world-class healthcare center!

• culture parks!

• a world-class education center!

• temple parks to raise the god mood consitably!

posted 09-21-00 17:57 ET (US)     19 / 26  
Out of all of those methods for dealing with unemployment, I'll stick with patricians. I seldom have enough unemployment for any large-scale patrician blocks.

Actually, my biggest problem is lack of workers---not vice versa. I'd like to have more workers sometimes. I just tend to go for a 100 Culture all the time---not for the goals, but for my own satisfaction.

posted 05-15-01 06:30 ET (US)     20 / 26  
I decided that since there are quite a lot of new faces around here, I'd bring up this old chestnut

Hope someone finds it useful.

Alan

posted 05-15-01 13:07 ET (US)     21 / 26  
Thanks for bumping this up CA, it really is quite timely, I've had C3 for several months with little time to play, but hopefully I'll have mucho time during the summer. Question....I know these forums go back at least a couple years, but how long exactly has C3 been out? Great game!! I also have Pharaoh and find it to be incredibly deep.
posted 06-26-01 16:05 ET (US)     22 / 26  
Ave and Hail and whatever.

CA, this is a great post. This is my first visit to C3H as I just got the game and decided I should brush up on what happened with the game engine before Pharaoh and I stumbled on this post. This is an excellent article and a must read, imo, for anyone who wants to be good at city-building, C3, Pharaoh, Zeus or whatever comes next.

Planning - Conception
Initiation
Propogation - Expansion
Termination - Conclusion

just looking for an acronym somewhere

Planning
I often underestimate the benefits of proper planning. One of my favorite sayings is "Prior proper planning prevents poor performance." Perhaps the most frustrating point is to get to the Termination phase and find you need one more housing block and you don't have and can't get water access to the only suitable area left or any number of other problems that can arise from not "looking at the big picture" right from the beginning.

The amount of planning that takes place is dependent on player style and the mission requirements. If there is no reasonable export industry, maximizing tax revenue becomes much more important. If I will need luxury housing, I will determine if there are enough of the resources needed to achieve and maintain. Would you hate to have a block devolve because you use 25 carts of something that only 15 is available? So much can take part in the Conception of your city that sometimes it may take longer to plan the mission than it actually does to play it.

Initiation
The initiation phase is where I make most of my mistakes though. It's important to me to sell something the first year the city is in existance. Often times, my goal is to maximize year 0 export of at least one commodity. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I can't.

Expansion
This is where your city really takes off. Once that first export industry is up and running you are free to begin working on those completion goals.

Conclusion
Since I deal with Prosperity and other requirements in the Expansion phase, the endgame for me usually very short. Though, I do like to check all my settings, as if anyone else were to ever load a city of mine, I would want it to run stable for a reasonable amount of time (preferably indefinately)

A Tale in the Desert
Flogging will continue until morale improves.

[This message has been edited by homegrown (edited 06-26-2001 @ 04:06 PM).]

posted 06-26-01 21:41 ET (US)     23 / 26  
Your August Sirs,

I have just finished a study on desirability effects of buildings. Might be useful to Goveners in the planning stages. Note: blanks are neutral, negative values are marked as such, positive indicated as low, med, high (sort of). Dimensions are from the center of the building. Ramifications: placing a gatehouse (8x8 neg.) adjacent to your housing unit will require some very positive building, like your Oracle Caesar Alan, be placed right next to it.

This does not format correctly, sorry.

BuildingDesirability

Plaza 5x5 low
Gardens 7x7 low
Aquaduct
Well 3x3 neg
Fountain
Perfecture 5x5 neg
Engineer Post
Doctor Clinic
Barber Shop 5x5 low
Sm. Statue 7x7 low
Wall - defence
Forum 6x6 low
Market 10x10, 3-nutrl, 4-6 low
Baths 10x10 low
Theater 6x6 low
School 6x6 neg
Library 10x10 low
Mission Post 6x6 neg
Sm. Temple 14x14 low
Med. Statue 10x10 low
Oracle 14x14 med
Gatehouse 8x8 neg
Tower 8x8 neg
Workshop - Pottery4x4 neg
Workshop - Furniture4x4 neg
Workshop - Weapons4x4 neg
Workshop - Oil 4x4 neg
Workshop - Wine 4x4 neg
Raw Mat. - Clay pit8x8 neg
Raw Mat. -Timber yard8x8 neg
Raw Mat. -Iorn mine8x8 neg
Raw Mat. -Marble mine8x8 neg
Shipyard 8x8 neg
Wharf 8x8 neg

Goveners House 9x9 low
Lg. Temple 16x16 med
Hospital 7x7 neg
Acadamy 11x11 med
Amphitheater 11x11 med
Granery 7x7 neg
Wharehouse 7x7 neg
Reservoir 9x9 neg
Farm - Wheat 7x7 neg
Farm - Vegetable 7x7 neg
Farm - Fruit 7x7 neg
Farm - Olives 7x7 neg
Farm - Vines 7x7 neg
Farm - Pigs 7x7 neg
Dock 9x9 neg
Entertain - actor7x7 low
Entertain - Gladiator9x9 neg
Entertain -Lion 9x9 neg
Entertain -Chariot 9x9 neg
Military Acadamy9x9 neg
Barracks 9x9 neg
Goveners Villa 12x12 med
Senate 17x17 low
Goveners Palace 15x15 high
Colosseum 11x11 neg
Hippodrome 11x21 neg
Forts 15x15 v-neg

Regards,

J a c k N o i r

posted 08-02-07 17:50 ET (US)     24 / 26  
This post is great help but somehow makes me not want to play the game :/
Too Systematical
posted 08-13-07 14:06 ET (US)     25 / 26  
Perhaps a slightly modified system with cities that already have something on them when you start (like Carthago)?

I've completed all of the peaceful career missions, and I recently went back to do the military missions. I am rather unhappy at the city already built and I wish I could just bulldoze it all and start over.
posted 08-13-07 16:15 ET (US)     26 / 26  
Hi jxcrohn, welcome to Caesar III Heaven.

It is possible to delete all of the non-native buildings in Carthago and start from scratch, as long as the population gets back to at least 1/4 of the previous highest population before the first invasion. (Starting from scratch won't work in Caesarea, since the first invasion is almost immediate.)

However, starting Cathargo from scratch would slow down development considerably. It would be better to put most of the existing people (plus any immigrants that move into new housing blocks) to work making expensive exports (or perhaps catching fish). Once the finances are in good shape (which shouldn't take long), the initial houses can be deleted as more immigrants arrive, eventually removing all of the original settlement.

By the way, if you want to discuss Cathargo or other specific issues, it might be better to start a new thread (or add a reply to a more relevant thread).
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » The four phases of city-building
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: