Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Excel maps of career assignments
posted 11-11-04 06:13 ET (US)   
I recently started playing Caesar III again after a gap of several years. I've got used to planning my cities on a copy of the map in Excel, so I decided to make a set of Excel maps for the Casesar III career. They are ready now, and if you are interested, you can get them from the Caesar III Misc Downloads section.

There are two files, a no-spoiler and a spoiler version. The no-spoiler version contains only the information you could find out by starting the assignment, pausing immediately, and looking around. The spoiler version contains everything that is in the no-spoiler version, plus aditional information that you would not know if you were playing the assignment for the first time. I believe the files are readable in any version of Excel starting with Excel 97. They can also be read by the free OpenOffice Spreadsheet, although some of the formating is not quite right.

Each Excel file contains two worksheets for each career assignment. The first contains general information about the assignment, and the second contains the terrain map. There is also a ReadMe that describes the contents in detail, and a one-page list of the career assignments.

Information in the no-spoiler version includes:

• Starting conditions such as climate and startup funds.
  • Import and export prices for all goods.
  • Trade quotas and the cost of opening trade with each trading city.
  • Buildings allowed.
  • Assignment goals.
  • The terrain map shows all terrain features and any roads and buildings that exist at the start of the assignment.
  • Fishing and herd points are marked.
  • River and road entry and exit points are marked.

The spoiler version adds things like:

• Amount of the rescue gift and type of enemy.
  • Trade information for cities that become available if there is an "empire expands" event.
  • Details of all scripted events.
  • Earthquake and invasion points.
  • Non-merging tiles (see note below).

Non-merging tiles
I realise as I write this that I forgot to include an explanation of non-merging tiles in the ReadMe As you probably know, four 1x1 houses will sometimes merge to form one 2x2 house, and sometimes they will not. This is controlled by the map, there are certain tiles that cannot be used for the north corner of a merged house. I have called these "non-merging tiles" and they are marked with a red "^" on the spoiler version of the terrain maps.

Replies:
posted 11-14-04 04:44 ET (US)     1 / 3  
I downloaded it and had a look, and hey, that's great work! Thanks Nero, good job. You actually tested out every tile to see which ones are merging-tiles?! Phew, great work. You should post this on the C3H announcements, by the way. It's been years since the last big project (Jack Noir's enemy catalogue). This one deserves to be announced on the main page.
posted 11-14-04 07:15 ET (US)     2 / 3  
I was a little busy with CotN the last couple of days, but I checked out the sheets yesterday too. Very helpful indeed, great work!
posted 11-17-04 16:00 ET (US)     3 / 3  
a magnificent piece of work, Nero! For caesar 3 players this is the of same importance as the DNA decoding project for gene scientists

please share your way of reading the scenario file tile-numbers which determine whether a 2x2 square will merge, or i humbly bow before your patience and determination of doing them tile by tile (which is even more comparable to the DNA project )

Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Excel maps of career assignments
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames