Please login or register

Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: City of "On" long ferry route explored
posted 01-17-03 20:27 ET (US)   
While templating "On", I noticed the long ferry route from the east island to the west (reed/bird) island. I decided to do a little investigating and set up a test city. Some screenshoots of the templated city parts can be found at:
http://home.insight.rr.com/bwscroll
I did some reconfigurations for the "real" city building which I have a save about a year before victory conditions at:
http://home.insight.rr.com/bwscroll/ON10thyear.sav
Its not a very effecient city (docks much closer to the reed island - which I did a ways back) and there are a few things I would change if I were to rebuild it.
As expected there was an enormous quene of hunters and reed gathers with just the one route. The ferry would get stuck on the floodplain as the inundation receeded while the ferry was traveling over it. Hunters and reed gathers would "dissappear" while on the ferry. I'm assuming that there is a 6 month time limit from leaving there building to get back. I only witnessed one dissappearance (at 6 months from spawn) while the hunter was walking back toward its building. The rest of the "disappearances" happened while on or waiting for a ferry.
Later, I opened a second route via the north (skinny/splinter) island that required the use of three ferries to get to the west (reed/bird)island. I expected some of the crosscountry walkers to use the multi-ferry path but all used the single long route. By the picture of the layout you can see one hunting lodge is next to a ferry, but its walkers insisted on using the single ferry route dispite the long wait.
Conclusions: Walkers will take a route with the least number of ferries. Wait time, travel distances and proximity are not considered in pathing choose. All crosscountry walkers have a 6 month time limit (from last home building visit). Any resources they had when time limit expires are lost.

There are probably a few threads which have this information in some form. I just couldn't find any with the search keywords I used.

edit: fixed url to sav file

All ferries were fully staffed/working.
I'm aware, from other experiments with ferries, that if a ferry losses employment/becomes non-functional that the walkers "enroute" will change path to a working ferry. Any walkers waiting at a ferry will continue to wait even if it is "non-functional". Removing/destroying a ferry will cause waiting walkers to find a new path if available.

[This message has been edited by shaun (edited 01-17-2003 @ 08:58 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-18-03 16:17 ET (US)     1 / 5  
I enjoyed reading your post shaun, but I take exception to your results.

I have always been under the impression that a destination walker would take the shortest route (by road tiles) on his trip. The route is established at the time the walker is generated and the tiles between ferry landings are counted the same as standard road tiles.

After reading your post, I ran tests of my own. My "short route" required crossing three sets of ferries. The "long route" required crossing only one ferry. On every test that I ran, the delivery carts always took the short route.

I added more road tiles to the short route so that it became the long route, and on the next trip the cart chose the other path (now the shorter one).

So, my conclusion is that, indeed, the walker will take the shortest path to his destination. The length of the path is determined by the number of road tiles. The tiles between ferry landings count the same as other road tiles.

Note that if a ferry does not have labor at the time the walker is generated the walker will take an alternate path if one is available. I suggest that you run your tests again to see if you can produce the same results. If you can, I would be very interested in seeing a saved game where the walkers behave as you described in your post. (My email address is in my profile.)

Vaia
posted 01-18-03 17:45 ET (US)     2 / 5  
Vaia;

Thanks for taking a look at the info.

I stipulated "cross-country" walkers, in particular hunters and reed gathers. I didn't notice or test destination walkers such as cart pushers because there was none that needed to take the long route(single ferry).

But, with your assurance, I will from now on only except that all destination walkers including "crosscountry" walkers use the same pathing rules.

posted 01-18-03 18:56 ET (US)     3 / 5  
Vaia;
I've run thru a test using the On city map and found the problem may have been the hippos attacking the mutipath ferry route.
By accident in retesting, I noticed that a hippo attacking the ferry area caused the walkers to switch to the single/long ferry route until the attack was over then they would go back to using the multipath route. I deleted the towers and replaced them with walls only and the use of the single route path increased significantly with each attack of the hippos.
In the original test city I didnt build any recruiter or towers to keep the hippo under control. The test city was flawed by the hippo attacks. Your right about the pathing.

I have a save were you can speed thru the game and see the effects of hippo attacks on route switching. If you want the retest city save I've email it to you (shaunqm-364K).

[This message has been edited by shaun (edited 01-18-2003 @ 07:20 PM).]

posted 01-19-03 15:01 ET (US)     4 / 5  

Quoted from shaun:

I noticed that a hippo attacking the ferry area caused the walkers to switch to the single/long ferry route until the attack was over then they would go back to using the multipath route.

So, that is it then. When one of the ferryboats becomes disabled, the game considers the ferry inoperable. The reason that the walkers took the “long route” was that it was the only one available. This is a degree of programming depth that I wasn’t previously aware of; so your post and research were not in vain.

Quoted from shaun:

I stipulated "cross-country" walkers, in particular hunters and reed gathers. I didn't notice or test destination walkers such as cart pushers because there was none that needed to take the long route(single ferry).

Hunters and reed gathers are destination walkers, albeit cross-country ones. I used woodcutters in my tests because it was easier for me to set up.

Vaia
posted 01-22-03 22:55 ET (US)     5 / 5  
Man O' Man am I singin' the Delta Blues on this one. I have no confidence in my plan or design. I just started and this one looks like it will give me the same grief as Lugdunum in C3.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » City of "On" long ferry route explored
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames