Please login or register

Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Production rates and other things
posted 05-24-12 16:19 ET (US)   
Since my computer has gone highwire and is in for repairs I'm stuck with an incredibly old machine, so to get my aily fix I pull out one of my oldest games, Ceasar 3. I remeber I had LOADS of info on this game, but all I can find now is a houseing lvls and evelotions chart. I got that from "wich way to Rome" a site by Grumpus, but unfortunatly that exelent site is now gone ;( If anyone know of a similar site please point me too it, though Grumpus is a legened when it comes to citybuilding games and I never found anyone makeing sites with even half of the usefull information he does.

None of the other thigns I could find seemed very informative, so I need some info.
1. How many people will a farm feed?
2. I know whete grows twice as fast in souther regions, but wich regions are conseidered southerns?
3. How much does a rawmaterial shop, like iron/timber or clay produce pr year?
4. How many units do workshops like furniture, oil and weapons produce pr year?
5. How much do farm raw products, like grapes and olives produce pr year?
6. How many soldiers do a barrakcs produce pr year?
7. How many people do one small temple placate? And what are the numbers for large temples and oracles? I THINK I remeber oracles was for 200 people for all types of gods, but I forgot the other once.
8. What effects have festivals at the gods mood and doesn't matter what size festival you through?

9. How much do houses consume of pottery, furniture, oil and wine? Would be great if I got the numbers pr 1000 inhabitans or something.

10. While I'm not there yet, I seem to remeber to have problems with mission number 7 in the game last time I played, not sure if I ever got through that one. The problem was simply I couldn't get enough food. I used every inch of farmland and fished and imported as much as I could, but I just wasn't able to get enough food to feed that many people. Anyone have some tips on those scenarios? (I had food problems, both on military and economics at that lvl).

11. Lastely, any info on how the culture rating is calculated? I had a very high rating of 70 in a small city, the peopel wanted more libraries( I didn't build any), as my city grow my rating falled, but they still wanted more libraries to get itup, so Appernetly it works different from both Pharao and Ceasar IV.

[This message has been edited by Flamme (edited 05-24-2012 @ 04:49 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-24-12 18:30 ET (US)     1 / 18  
Hi Flamme,

If I haven't already said it, welcome to Caesar III Heaven.

1) A non-northern wheat farm can feed about 320 people. Any other food farm can feed about 160 people.

2) Southern (desert) regions have a very dry look. Animals there will be zebras.

Wheat also grows faster in central regions. Animals there will be sheep.

Northern regions have a darker green look, and buildings do not develop fire risk. Animals there will be wolves.

3 and 5) A raw material producer can produce 9.6 cartloads per year.

4) A workshop can produce 4.8 cartloads (480 units) per year.

6) A barracks can produce 21.333 soldiers per year.

7) A staffed small temple provides perfect religious coverage for its god for 750 people. A staffed large temple provides perfect religious coverage for its god for 1500 people. An oracle provides perfect religious coverage for all gods for 500 people.

8) Gods' moods are a little complicated, as described in Religion - gods' moods, blessings and curses. If all you want to do is keep gods happy, you could simply give each of them close to perfect religious coverage. If you want one or more of them to be exalted, you could give those perfect religious coverage plus either a recent festival or more temples than the other gods.

9) A palace consumes 48 units (.48 cartloads) of wine per year. Otherwise, a house that consumes a good consumes 24 units (.24 cartloads) of the good per year.

The amount of goods per 1000 inhabitants depends on the houses that the inhabitants live in.

10) I don't know which mission you mean by "number 7". If you want advice for a specific mission, please give the city name. All of the "career" missions can produce more than enough food for the required population. Without knowing more about the specific problems you are having, it is hard to give advice. In general: don't have much more than the required population, make sure that farms and wharves are fully staffed and that their cart pushers return before the next batch is ready, don't give houses more types of food than they need, and put housing close to food sources.

You might look at example cities from our downloads to see how other players handled a mission's problems.

11) I don't know how Caesar IV calculates Culture, but I know that Pharaoh and Caesar III calculate Culture differently. Isn't that what you'd expect from different games? For details on Caesar III Culture, see this Culture thread.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 05-24-2012 @ 06:38 PM).]

posted 05-25-12 02:26 ET (US)     2 / 18  
Hello Flamme, welcome.

Actually Which Way to Rome does still exist, although whether it is the complete original site, I'm not sure.

"Can I draw you a beer, Norm?"
"No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one."
Cheers !!
posted 05-25-12 03:26 ET (US)     3 / 18  
Thanks alot both of you

I got all my questions answered AND the new link to my favourite Caesar III site, and all that in just a few houers on a game that is 13-14 years old

Really appriciate the help.
posted 01-17-17 14:59 ET (US)     4 / 18  
Brugle, if you (or anyone else sees this)...I can't find Grumpus' old site for his awesome tables of production rates. What is the number of workshops (for a given good) that you need to produce 25 units a year for trade - as an example.

Thanks
posted 01-17-17 15:21 ET (US)     5 / 18  
I think 9.6 is the cartload rate for workshops in a game year...and 4.8 is for raw materials. Is that right? Does Marble differ?

And am I right in remembering that you get 9.6 carts from all farms per year except for 17.2 for wheat outside the northern provinces?

Lastly...what is the production rate for fishing? Same as the farms?
posted 01-17-17 15:56 ET (US)     6 / 18  
What is the number of workshops (for a given good) that you need to produce 25 units a year for trade
As I said in reply #1, a workshop produces 4.8 carts/year. So, to get 25/year, you need 6 workshops (which would produce 28.8/year).

Note: here and below, I assume that buildings are fully staffed and workshops are kept supplied with raw materials.
I think 9.6 is the cartload rate for workshops in a game year...and 4.8 is for raw materials. Is that right?
No, reply #1 is right. Workshops produce 4.8 carts/year and raw materials produce 9.6 carts/year.
Does Marble differ?
A marble quarry produces 4.8 carts/year.
And am I right in remembering that you get 9.6 carts from all farms per year except for 17.2 for wheat outside the northern provinces?
Not quite. A non-northern wheat farm produces 19.2/year.
what is the production rate for fishing? Same as the farms?
No. Fish production depends on the distance from the wharf to the fish. See reply #20 of Fishing production quantified.
posted 01-17-17 16:24 ET (US)     7 / 18  
Thank you sir! You are like the original C3 abacus.
posted 01-17-17 16:28 ET (US)     8 / 18  
I am starting (or replaying if more than a decade still qualifies) Miletus tonight. My thought is to simplify and only use fish as food - if I remember correctly the market ladies can sometimes ignore fish for other choices - and as I started to plan I was wondering how many wharves I should build. Is the 1 per 160ish people generally a safe bet for a boat?
posted 01-17-17 17:18 ET (US)     9 / 18  
simplify and only use fish as food - if I remember correctly the market ladies can sometimes ignore fish for other choices
If you don"t need high Prosperity--in Miletus you don't--it is usually easier to give people only one food. However, feeding everyone only fish in Miletus would mean building some wharves on the islands, which might be a little tricky. It might be easier to give some people only fish and to give other people only fruit.
how many wharves I should build. Is the 1 per 160ish people generally a safe bet for a boat?
It should be in Miletus. All the wharf positions I looked at should be able to produce more fish than that, although I might have missed a few.

Some missions do have poorer wharf locations.
posted 01-17-17 18:09 ET (US)     10 / 18  
Miletus is still fairly early in the campaign so it's probably the easiest fishing I will get. Admittedly I am really rusty though. As I play some things are coming back...sorry to see sites like Grumpus and Caesar Alan's are no longer there. Thank Rome for Brugle though.

Thanks a bunch, I am sure I will have many more questions as I muddle through.
posted 01-18-17 00:56 ET (US)     11 / 18  
I think the easiest way to build low-prosperity Miletus is build two separate road networks. First fed by fish, second by fruit.
Remember the getting-warehouse cartpushers are able to transport goods between separate road networks. They don't need roads.

But if you will see Brugles Happy_Miletus with villas and grand insulaes ... you can speculate to train high-level buildings and game mechanics rather in Miletus as in Tarsus/Caesarea.
posted 01-18-17 02:04 ET (US)     12 / 18  
...sorry to see sites like Grumpus and Caesar Alan's are no longer there.
They do both still exist, although whether they are the complete original sites, I'm not sure.

Grumpus's "Which way to Rome":
http://web.archive.org/web/20021202220745/www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/2974/index.html

Caesar Alan's "The Appian Way"
http://web.archive.org/web/20020915225706/caesaralan.co.uk/index.html
posted 01-18-17 14:58 ET (US)     13 / 18  
Thanks for those snapshot links Granite.

Last night I set up my trade industries attached to a 7x7 block full of workers. The folks in this block - located between the farmland and the sea - will eat fruit.

Tonight I will build remaining blocks and build up fishing.

Thanks for the input guys.
posted 01-25-17 00:10 ET (US)     14 / 18  
Marcus Lindicus how did you finish your Miletus?
If you place part of your fishing industry on the western coast I guess the market ladies will tend to reach fruit-granaries. Quite a long way. So you should build more markets or keep this part of city in separate road network. But in such a case the highest level housing will be large insulae and the pottery and oil must be transported by getting warehouse.
posted 02-10-17 14:33 ET (US)     15 / 18  
Hi Marcus Lindicus and jaroslav80, et al

I recently started playing Caesar 3 again (finally handed in my dissertation!) and just the other day finished off Miletus, for the first time in some years. I subsequently tackled Lugdunum (the geology is a bit demanding), followed by Tarsus, which has even more abundant fishing opportunities than Miletus (in case you were worried about that ;-) )

For Miletus, I did something along the lines of what jaroslav is suggesting. I had the 'main' city over on the eastern side of the map, connected to the farm land where I grew fruit and olives, and also produced weapons; this was the veritable 'industrial heartland' of the city, and the two sources of food plus a Colosseum allowed those houses to reach Grand Insulae.

I then had a suburban western outpost, with two blocks that survived entirely off fish. The fishing spot is very near to the coast line in the west, so if you line the water bank with 5/6 fishing wharves you should be able to feed 1500 to 2000 people (maybe more?). This section was disconnected from the main city, so these people only ate fish. Cart pushers from "getting" warehouses fetched pots, chairs and olive oil from the main city by going off road (I guess Roman carts were more robust than today's fair of SUVs).

Finally to make up population numbers, I built another small (disconnected) rural community in the north near the entrance, to take advantage of the small farmland there. These houses weren't upgraded beyond "small casa", as I had already exceeded the Prosperity target with the Large/Grand Insulae in the main districts.

I built the entire city using 7x7 plebeian blocks, cordoned off with gatehouses to control walkers (especially those impetuous market ladies), and tents in industrial areas for labour access. Many subscribers to this forum will frown upon this approach, but it works for me, and is simple, effective and aesthetically pleasing IMO. Besides, Ancient Rome was not exactly an egalitarian utopia...
posted 02-13-17 07:27 ET (US)     16 / 18  
Hallo Guyus Edwardus

Nice to hear you that you like the game mechanics.
Your approach is simple and working, but I usually have high unemployment rate in this way so in higher career levels you will need to build villas (because of prosperity rating) or a lot of redundant accademies/libraries - just to keep unemployment below 5%.

Keep in mind that only working-age people living in Grand Insuales and below works in your industry and services. The patricians in villas and palaces don't work. They only pay taxes.
posted 09-05-22 17:27 ET (US)     17 / 18  
A palace consumes 48 units (.48 cartloads) of wine per year. Otherwise, a house that consumes a good consumes 24 units (.24 cartloads) of the good per year.
Does this mean houses literally, whatever they happen to be? Or house tiles? Are unmerged 1-tile houses 4 times less efficient than merged 4-tile ones, then?
posted 09-05-22 18:51 ET (US)     18 / 18  
A palace consumes 48 units (.48 cartloads) of wine per year. Otherwise, a house that consumes a good consumes 24 units (.24 cartloads) of the good per year.
Does this mean houses literally, whatever they happen to be?
Yes.
Are unmerged 1-tile houses 4 times less efficient than merged 4-tile ones, then?
4 1x1 houses consume 4 times the non-food goods of a 2x2 house of the same type.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Production rates and other things
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames