Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 2
# of Cities: 1
Difficulty: Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
'The Mighty Qin' campaign that comes included in Emperor is a great campaign, but it leaves out Qin's involvement in the bloody years of conflict known as the 'Warring States' period. 'Ying Zheng's Vow'can be considered a supplement to 'The Mighty Qin', and fills in this missing time gap. For chronological
continuity, this campaign should be played just after finishing mission 1 of 'The Mighty Qin'. After finishing 'Ying Zheng's Vow', continue with mission 2
of 'The Mighty Qin'.

In 238 BCE, a 21-year-old prince named Ying Zheng was coronated and assumed full rule of the Kingdom of Qin. Few realized the ruthless fury that he was about to unleash in pursuit of his sworn vow -- to unify China under his sole rule. In the years which followed, the vow drove Ying Zheng to precipitate some of the bloodiest military campaigns in China's history. Seventeen years later, in 221 BCE, the last of his six rival states had capitulated, and his vow was fulfilled. He then assumed the title of Qin Shi Huangdi, the First Emperor of the Qin Dynasty.

If you had been in Ying Zheng's place, could you have achieved this feat ? And how long would it have taken you ? This campaign gives a player the chance to equal or better Ying Zheng's remarkable feat. An advanced knowledge of Emperor is not required to successfully complete this campaign, but experience in the military aspect will help.

The seven 'Warring States' of Qin, Han, Qi, Zhao, Yan, Chu, and Wei are represented by interaction with 11 historically-accurate cities. Each state's territory is noted on the Empire map.

Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the Iron Age. Sabotage by spies is disallowed for this campaign, although
spies can still be used for information gathering.

Two extra files are included in the download package. The first is a text file 'YZVReadme.txt', which contains installation instructions, background
information, campaign designer notes, and mission hints (warning: contains spoilers). The second file is a .jpg image called 'WarringStatesMap1.jpg'.
This is a color map of China during the Warring States period, denoting the territorial boundaries of the 7 states. It is included solely for historical
reference.

Missions Teasers: (Note- the first mission uses a 'time limit' goal)

Mission 1 - 'The Great Armament' - 11 years, from 238 BCE to the end of 228 BCE.

Mission 2 - 'The March of the Qin Horde' - no time limit, starts in 227 BCE.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Sharog
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
i always have fun with the early invasions so ^^.

Balance: 4
good balancing, make sure player can not oversell those massive profit items. actually i think things like silk and carved jade are way too easy to get big profit. i never need to worry about my economy when i can grow mulberry trees and can sell them. i did expect some more Tradingstation accept salt :D

Creativity: 3
not much creativity in this campaign i think, it is more like Conquer conquer and conquer.

Map Design: 3
it was a fine map, i would give it a 4, but sometime made me reduce the score, as i said earlier in other reviews, Feng Shui is a crucial element for me to play a mission, so nomatter what i do, i always try to obtain perfect fengshui.i had 3 smelter, 5 iron work, 12 fort, 3 logging shed, 1 warehouse with accept wood get weapon, all on the North West Island. seperated block from the main land. and all fit with the fengshui, but when the flood comes(scripted again, bah bah bah). i couldnt build enough wall to defend against the flood, and to wall-in i had to destroy my bridge, otherwise water will leak. but that means i will also get that unemployment thing all over this military industry.

anywayz, it end up losing couple buildings which is not a big deal, but also 2 fort, and they were Elites :/ sniff sniff, now i have 2 conscript forts again. so i strongly advise ppl to remove those scripted natural disaster in the campaigns. it is more deadly than u think :/

Story/Instructions: 4
nice challenging sentence "can u reunite china before Ying Zheng does?" the fact is i couldnt :D he is too fast imo. it takes me atleast 3 attempt to conquer a city, i tried with your tip conquer as much city as possible in previous mission, but i only managed to conquer 5 :/, maybe i will try again some other day :D

Additional Comments:
what is different between Bronze/Iron/Steel Weapon? in help contents it says that steel weapon is stronger blabla, but how much strongeR? i only remember 1 mission that comes from the standard campaign which has both Steel and Iron avaidable on the map. but i never found out how much Steel is stronger. and why is steel so cheap for export? they do require another portion of Wood though. i rather sell Wood + Iron then selling steel.
another interesting thing is with the paper maker, every stock of paper gives u 100 cash. but infact u can sell Paper for 125 gold ?
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Sharog, thanks once again for taking the time to review a campaign of mine. I'll answer some of your questions.

1. 'Conquer, conquer, conquer' - you stated it perfectly, that is the only theme in this campaign. This was intentional. Historically, this was really the only task Ying Zheng was doing at this time in his career. All the missions in 'The Mighty Qin' dealt with his great projects after he came to power. 'Ying Zheng's Vow' was designed to show his other (darker) side, and how he ruthlessly crushed all his rivals to create the Qin empire.

2. Don't feel bad about not reuniting China before Ying Zheng did historically, it is VERY difficult to do when played at 'very hard'. I couldn't do it either at that difficulty setting :-P It is definitely possible when played at 'hard' or lower.

3. I am not sure of the different effects of weapons made from the different materials. I suspect they may have some modifier to damage in combat, but I've never read anything that confirms this.
LucullusMaximus
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
If you want to finish this faster than Ying Zhen, make haste. If played at very hard difficulty a real challenge indeed. I tried on very hard and failed miserably. This is a good campaign to try difficulty settings and check out the impact on the game.

You are somewhat vulnerable at the start of this campaign so you have to get defences up early. After passing the initial barriers victory conditions should not be a problem. But! This campaign is all about getting things done faster than Ying Shen more than fulfilling any conditions.

Creativity: 3
It gets a little repetative but given the task at hand it´s inevitable. At the end of mission 2 I almost felt sorry for cities about to be conquerd. They go into docile status and start sending emissarys with proposels of alliances. Normally I would accept them with open arms , but in this campaign just send them home with the message - I will be comming for your city too.

Correct me if I am wrong. This is a modified map found in the core-game, right. But it is a good choise and it works fine for this campaign.

Story/Instructions: 5
Maybee I am getting a little repetative as well, but I can´t find myself giving a lower score for your instructions.

Additional Comments:
This one could easily have been added to the core-campaign, Qin-Dynasty. It´s that good.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Thanks again for leaving a review. Yes, this map came in the core game, but for some reason was not included in any single-player campaigns. I loved it when I saw it, and used it in Ying Zheng's Vow with only slight mods.
Obsid
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
A fore-note. This is the first custom campaign I've played, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Great fun, but it was rather repetitive.

No big problems, wasn't quite perfect (could have used more space for quays).

Creativity: 4
I love the premise, and you worked the historical data into the campaign pretty well. Doesn't quite have that edge to give it a 5, but I'm picky.

Beautiful map, not one I'd like to play again. lack of quay points, inconveniently placed stones, as well as that nasty little mountain range, all made this less than ideal for play. But it was possible to achieve perfect feng shui and still have a thriving city, and it was nice to look at.

Story/Instructions: 5
Well written. Felt professional.

Additional Comments:
I learnt a lot from this campaign. Especially when it comes to the military aspect of this game. I didn't get anywhere near the time goal but I'm not an aggressive sort.

There were two flaws in this campaign. One is that Guan Di is available prematurely, I suspect that might be true with the kitchen god but I don't know. The other is the requirement for conquering 10 cities. This would be fine if the nomads weren't on the map, as it is, it requires you to conquer the nomads, which feels a bit off, historically speaking. If these were intentional, I apologize.

I'm also curious about the use of both cavalry and chariots. Is that done to be historically accurate? Or just to give the player an edge? I know I used the cavalry and Guan Di extensively when I played.

I know this was made 8 years ago, but since you're still active, maybe you might still get something out of the review.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi Obsid! Welcome to Emperor Heaven. Thanks for leaving the review. It sounds like you enjoyed the campaign, and I'm glad. This one was a good choice to start. I hope you will play some of my other custom campaigns, and I look forward to your feedback.

I'll answer a couple of your questions:

You're right, a few of the Heroes are allowed when (historically) they shouldn't be.

Chariots are allowed in this campaign because they were still used during the Warring States period, although they were beginning to be phased out. You can read more on that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warring_States_Period

The reason a player needs to conquer the Xiongnu along with the other cities is because it happened historically. The Xiongnu had become a real threat by the time Ying Zheng united the Middle Kingdom, so he sent General Meng Tian with a strong army to drive them out of Ordos Desert. You can read more about that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meng_Tian

[Edited on 12/04/11 @ 10:57 AM]

nickee I dunno whether it was a game bug or an oversight by Gweilo or is it that way...
It seems like everytime a city sends its envoy to ask for my help, it is written there the city was attacked by Xianyang. I am the Xianyang boss and the city asked for my help to defend it from my 'attack'?
But I really loved the gameplay where once i conquered 9 out of 10 cities (including Xiongnu), the remaining one which was once subjugated by me will never be defeated anymore no matter how many times I deployed my troops to end the rebellion. instead, everytime i will suffer big losses while the remaining city will still stand strong with no loss whatsoever (based on the army strength on the world map). i took the other way round by buying their hearts, giving goodies, lower the price of goodies and poppp..it will return to my fold easily...that's why i took almost 100 years to complete the mission. i guess Ying Zheng would have died 10,000 times by the time i finished this conquest! hehehee...
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hello nickee. At the time I built this campaign, I didn't know all the tricks of the campaign creator software. One thing I didn't know was that there is an undocumented feature (bug?) that always assigns the first city placed on the empire map as the attacking city in that message. That's why it was confusing to you. I believe I corrected this in all the later campaigns I built.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.3