Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 3
# of Cities: 1
Difficulty: Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
At the height of his power, emperor Qin Shi Huangdi ordered several incursions into the far southern region named Annam. The emperor's goal was the eventual conquest of this region, which the Chinese
called 'Nanyue'. General Zhao Tuo was appointed to lead one of the emperor's expeditions, with orders
to establish a city (and build an army) at Pan Yu (later known as Guangzhou).

However, everything changed when Qin Shi Huangdi suddenly died in 210 BCE. His death triggered widespread rebellions which resulted in the collapse of the Qin empire. General Zhao Tuo seized his chance during this period of chaos to stage his own rebellion in the south. He changed his name to Trieu Da as part of a stratagem to carve out a kingdom for himself in Annam.

In the years that followed, Trieu Da succeeded in rebelling against the remnants of the Qins, conquering the Vietnamese, and resisting the new Han Dynasty. He successfully built a kingdom that is considered today as one of first dynasties in ancient Vietnam.

This campaign gives the player the chance to relive Trieu Da's remarkable feat, facing the same challenges he faced historically. It can be considered a supplement to 'The Mighty Qin' campaign
(which comes included in the Emperor game). For chronological continuity, this campaign should be
played just after finishing 'The Mighty Qin'.

A player will interact with 7 historically-accurate cities. Resources, commodities, and available
structures follow the Emperor model for the Iron Age. Sabotage by spies is prohibited in this campaign,
although spies can still be used for information gathering. This campaign is designed for experienced players who enjoy the military aspect and political management at the Empire-map level.

Three extra files are included in the download package. The first is a text file 'BTDReadme.txt', which contains installation instructions, background information, campaign design notes, and mission hints
(warning: contains spoilers). The other two files are images called Annam_map.jpg and Nanyue_map.jpg. They show maps denoting the provinces and boundaries of the Kingdom of Nanyue, and are included solely for historical reference.

Missions Teasers: (Note - the first two missions use a 'time limit' goal)

Mission 1 - 'A Secret Commission from the Emperor' - 9 years, from 218 BCE to the end of 210 BCE.

Mission 2 - 'The Rebellion of Nanyue' - 10 years, from 209 BCE to the end of 200 BCE.

Mission 3 - 'The Trieu Dynasty Emerges' - no time limit, starts in 199 BCE.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Jacquou Le
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 3
(Insert Balance analysis here)

Creativity: 3
(Insert Creativity analysis here)

Map Design: 2
(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 3
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
This campaign is considered as HARD level and enjoyable though.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Jacquou Le, could you please elaborate a little more about why you gave each rating? It would help me to make better campaigns if you could be more specific. For example, what caused you to rate the map as a 2 ? I also have a question. You volunteered to playtest this campaign weeks ago, and I emailed you early versions of it. But I never heard back from you. If you would have sent me any playtest comments about it, I could have put them in the campaign before posting it here. I am happy to get your feedback now, believe me, I am just a little confused why you waited until the day it was posted here to give feedback. Thanks.

[Edited on 08/19/03 @ 03:52 PM]

woofpup I really liked the campaign. It has enough requirements to make a challenge. The early invasions are a good touch too. The only downside is the time constraint - but I'm partial to building up a city before I meet all the requirements and move on to the next level.

Overall, good job and thanks many times over!
woofpup
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Challenging but fun.

Balance: 5
All levels of play are challenged but you are given enough commodities to compensate.

Creativity: 5
Nice

Map Design: 5
Nice design, big enough for large cities, elite, etc.

Story/Instructions: 5
Easily understood instructions.

Additional Comments:
See stand-alone comments.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
woofpup, I'm glad you had fun, thanks for the ratings!
Sharog
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
It is definately a good campaign to play, alot military action, from alot random location, the last one i fought at the 9th year(or something) of mission 3 really gave me a headache when u try to defeact 3 invasion from chang-an, linzi and xianyang, they actually all arive at the same time. but thank god i managed to defeat them with 12 fort of elite troops. i had alot chance to test different combat strategy which i never had the chance or need to do that in the 7+1 bonus campaign that comes with the game, (yes in very hard).

Balance: 3
u did spend quite alot time with avaidable commonities of the cities, but those event u made are freaking weird. first i could sell alot lacquerware to both xianyang and linzi, (24 in total), so i had like 2 lacquerware orchards, and 5 lacquerware maker but then suddenly an event pop up: xianyang decide to buy less lacquerware, that makes it lower 12 to 0. so i was thinking, ok, i reduce couple lacquerware maker and sell the lacquers to xianyang which they also wishing to buy. but then another event pop up, xianyang buy less lacquers. and it also make it to 0. and that really made me mad, also that event after an event u scripted keeps slowing the speed down: like blabla drop 12 cash in price blabla. maybe u had too much time and nothing to do, so decide to add limitless event, like u said in the txt file. but it is very frustrating.
oh yes, about the FLOOD, u mentioned that earthquake was deadly, but didnt u know that flood is also very dangeours? i have 2 seperated city block that connects with a ferry using warehouses trick to have few buildings functional at maximum potential, and when the flood comes, the other part will just run out of workforce, so when the flood went away, all my iron works are already in flame.

Creativity: 4
HEROES with invasion, u have my credit for this one, i never seen any other campaign with this feature so far. and yes i get your point that trieu da is never strong enough to conquer all the northern city.

Map Design: 3
really nothing special in the maps in this campaign, easy to build, but u always earn some credit from me for able to get perfect fengshui, which is a crucial element for me when playing a mission. i hope u can mix with h711, his missions are art of build, urs are art of war. im looking forward to see a co-production from u two ^^.

original, interesting imagination with that magic arrow dude, just u said in story it is a crossbow, but huang di use a normal bow, oh well, prolly just cuz the game limitating, so u still get full point from me for having 2 wonderfull pictures in the zip file.

Additional Comments:
nice military events, although the early invasions was quite hard in very hard mode, and the late invasions often too soft. and to be honest, those catapult are very anoying, they often target my buildings and ignoring my military, like destroying my warehouses with full load of food when my calvary is shooting at them. but it was fun to play it.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Sharog, thanks for the great feedback and the ratings!
You seem to have had fun, and learned a little history, which makes it 'mission accomplished' for my major goals as a designer.

To answer some of your questions:

1. There is a bug in the game that creates the false unemployment during a flood. It only lasts the month that the flood is active; it goes away when the floodwaters recede. The scripted flood in mission 2 is randomized in intensity (3-8), so it could be very bad or only a slight nuisance.

2. The commodities chosen in the scripted demand decrease events are also randomized. It is not always lacquerware that the rival cities will stop buying. It appears you had some bad luck with that, if the demand for lacquerware completely stopped with all cities. Your point about too many scripted trade change events is well taken; I put those in for the advanced player who wants to micromanage every aspect of cash-flow, but in hindsight perhaps I went overboard. I admit the messages do interrupt play when they fire.

3. I sometimes trade emails with other campaign designers, but my style seems very different from the others here. I enjoy sharing information but have no plans for any direct collaborations.

[Edited on 08/27/03 @ 09:38 PM]

LucullusMaximus
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
The fun factor is very high. In mission one you have to tackle early invasions and a speedy build up of an army.In mission two and three that army will be used in conquest of neighbouring cities and in defence against an angered Han-dynasty. Deadlines are not as strained as the latter gweilo campaigns. You can get by even if you make some minor mistakes.

Balance: 4
In previous reviews, there has been some complaint about the flooding river and trade stops.

Well, in my opinion, if you build a city next to a navigable river you have to take into account that it may flood and plan accordingly. If I build a city next to a navigable river during three missions and several years, and the river did not flood, I would almost be disappointed.

And about the trade-stops. Your mission is to carve out your own little empire in the south of China. The central government up north will not like that, and you should be glad they trade with you at all. Besides, these issues are not really crucial balancing factors. The real challenge is the planning of a fairly large capital city and to fend off some tough invasions, especially the triplet in mission 3. (And if you play on very hard you may have the treat to fend of the three scripted invasions coupled with an unscripted one.)

Creativity: 4
Huang-di in the role of An Duong Vuong alone get you high marks. Also high marks for nasty placement of tiger spawning point, and all the work that has been put into getting a feeling of semi-isolation. (Not as severe as in later campaigns like "Bandit Lords Destiny".

Map Design: 3
This is a map found in the editor , right? If not then this grade is way too low. The map works just fine for this campaign. My only complaint is that Feng-Shui is a little bit too easy to obtain. (Yes! I am a Feng-Shui freak).

Well, as usual top marks for your instructions.

Additional Comments:

In short, a great little campaign that I recommend anyone that has played through the core-game.

[Edited on 12/24/11 @ 01:47 AM]

Gweilo Hi LM, thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed this one. This was one of my first campaigns that used extensive scripting.

The map in this campaign was cloned from one that came delivered with the core game. It was customized about 25% by me for use in this campaign. So your rating on the map section is fair.
jazzyjazzy This was my very first custom campaign I played, and I had a lot of fun. I recently played Emperor again on Very Hard difficulty, something that I never did years ago. Done with all in game historical campaign and I felt, well, that was actually good, not that crazy, and wanted to play more.

Went to custom campaign menu and found Birth of the Trieu Dynasty in it, chose to play in Very Hard, and I was like, how hard can this be. My, was I wrong =)) Military is never my favorite, my go to style of playing more often than not is to build the city' wealth as much and as fast as I can, and bribe those invaders away. Simply can't with this one, from the very first mission, have to fight those invaders, kinda have to make military as priority while also increase the city' wealth.

Half way in mission 2 I realized something, I might be a bit too late in evolving the elite housing, and causing delay in building the rest of troops, so just to be safe, I went back to mission 1 and evolved them there so in mission 2 I could really focus on the rest of my troops. I learned a lot about hardcore micromanagement and it's always a good idea to save your city' progress often :D

So, thanks Gweilo, this was a good campaign for a trainee advanced player like me :D
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.8
Balance4.0