Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 3
# of Cities: 3
Difficulty: Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
In 1206 CE the Mongols elected a new Great Khan. He was a chief named Temujin, but in the years to come he would be known across Asia as Genghis Khan. In addition to his many military accomplishments, Genghis was influential in reopening trade along the Silk Road. However, he didn't do it personally. In this campaign you will assume the role of a merchant trader who is drafted by Genghis to reopen the old trade routes. Oh, did I forget to mention that you will be executed if your progress fails to meet the Great Khan's timetable?

You will face the unique challenge of coping with the uncertainty and unreliability of trade in the inhospitable Taklamakan Desert. To succeed, you will need quick thinking, good business sense, diplomacy, and plenty of backup plans. As you struggle to build your cities, the rise of the Mongols will be occurring. You will bear witness (and feel the repercussions) to some of the actual historical
events that made Genghis Khan one of the most feared names in history.

You will interact with 11 historically-accurate cities. Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the Steel Age. Sabotage by spies is prohibited in this
campaign, although spies can still be used for information gathering.

Note: This campaign is designed for experienced players who enjoy the challenge of city building when things don't go smoothly, and while facing time
constraints. The emphasis in this campaign is trade, not military action.

Three extra files are included in the download package. The first is a text file 'TFGK_Readme.txt', which contains installation instructions, background information, campaign design notes, and mission
hints (warning: contains spoilers). The other two files are .jpg images called 'Silk_road_map1.jpg' and 'Silk_road_map2.jpg'. They are maps of the Taklamakan Desert portion of the Silk Road, and
show the actual locations of the historic cities you will be building. They are included solely for historical reference.

Missions Teasers: (Note - all missions use a 'time limit' goal)

Mission 1 - 'Where Ghosts Walk the Sand' - 7 years, from 1206 CE to the end of 1212 CE.

Mission 2 - 'A Foothold With the Uygur' - 7 years, from 1213 CE to the end of 1219 CE.

Mission 3 - 'Merchant Prince of the Mongols' - 8 years, from 1220 CE to the end of 1227 CE.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Um Lei Tung Well done again! I am still busy trying out the final version and having a good time doing it.
Excellent background in the readme file (I try not to use the spoilers while playing!).
Keep at it!
cat It is pretty sad when I am fixing to win this, 'Merchant Prince of the Mongols' - 8 years, from 1220 CE to the end of 1227 CE.
and you still have Failore pop up......Oh well I will wait for a much better capmpaign.
Sincerely,
Cat

[Edited on 09/25/03 @ 04:38 PM]

Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Cat, if you care to elaborate more about why you failed mission 3, I will be glad to help you. I assure you, it is a winnable mission. Read the TFGK_Readme.txt file for hints, but here is a quick clue: you need to pay careful attention to what happens on the Empire map in 1227 CE (pop up messages will help you).

[Edited on 09/26/03 @ 12:14 AM]

shaun2
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Almost anyone but a novice city builder will enjoy the missions. Its neither too simple nor too hard.

Balance: 3
Its well balanced for Intermiate Players but Advanced players may find it lacks challenge.

Creativity: 4
Much effort went into the event timing so as to create a historically accurate series of missions. Just when your plans are about to bear fruit a new twist is added.

Map Design: 3
Not too restrictive but its desert country.

Story/Instructions: 5
The included text file history was very detailed. Warning: It contains spoilers. I refrained from fully reading it until after finishing the missions.

Additional Comments:
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi Shaun, I appreciate you taking the time to review this campaign. Thanks, and I'm glad you had fun with it.
Imperatrix Julia I think I might know what happened to Cat, because it happened to me too! I didn't meet the annual profit goal until the last year. Because that gets calculated right at the end of January, I don't think it falls within the time limit, so I got a failure message, even though I had made enough that year. Next time I made sure I had achieved the profit goal *before* the last year.

I really enjoy playing your scenarios Gweilo - they're very challenging!
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi Julia, YES you are right, that bug with the profit/year and production/year goals in time limit missions was found during our playtesting of this campaign. I mentioned it in the TFGK_Readme.txt file, but obviously from my spoiler warnings most players will not read it until after they play the campaign, and it can be too late then.

Encountering this bug can be quite frustrating, I admit. When we found it I contemplated scraping the whole campaign, but then I finally decided I could try to adjust down the profit goal and production goals to lower levels that could be met before the end of the last year of the missions. It was a compromise that seems to not have been entirely successful, but to be honest this whole campaign was a risky design.

Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you had fun.

[Edited on 10/19/03 @ 08:35 PM]

allain
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
As usual, Gweilo presented again a well constructed game. Pity of that bug that you cannot get some goals the last year.

Balance: 4
A good balance between all the aspects of the game. The last mission could use some more military sauces maybe.

Creativity: 3
Good but in this campaign I had the impression, that all the missions looked a bit like each other

Map Design: 4
Good. And a perfect sheng gui is always possible, wich is a conditio sine qua non for me.

Story/Instructions: 5
Again a great job: the linking of history and playing the game.

Additional Comments:

Again well done, Gweilo. I enjoyed and now up to downloading another campaign of you.

Gtx from Belgium,

Allain
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi Allain, thanks for taking the time to rate this campaign. I did consider increasing the military aspect of mission 3, but then I decided against it because the essence of this campaign is about trade. Anyway, I'm glad you had fun with it.

If you are in the mood for some serious military challenges, I offer you 'The Warlords of Koguryo'. :)
DillonBlake Gweilo -

I got the same problem as the others - inaccurate "loser" screen. However, it had nothing to do with the profit requirememnt which I had satisfied the previous year. By October of the last year I had satisfied all the requirements; but when it rolled over to the "next year" the failure screen appeared. Naturally I was frustrated beyond words so I reloaded the October save. No luck. however, the third time that I reloaded and let it run I got the "win screen." Weird, huh?
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.7