Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 4
# of Cities: 2
Difficulty: Very Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
"Profit and Adventure" were the promises made to you by Old Chief, when you joined his bandit gang. And so it was for a time, as you preyed upon the rich Zhou traders. Then came the day when Zhou soldiers, hiding on trading junks, sprung their trap. Now Old Chief lies dead and the survivors of the gang look to you for orders. You must prove your ability to change the gang's fortune - preferably before one of the scruffy dogs grows impatient and sticks a knife in your back!

You will face the challenge of rebuilding the gang's strength from a refuge located deep within the unforgiving Ordos Desert. It will take mighty heroics to overcome the harsh terrain, feral predators, deadly nomads, and relentless pursuit from the Zhou military. No one said that the job of a bandit chief would be easy!

Your leadership will be continually tested as your gang becomes intertwined deeper and deeper in the historic events leading to the fate of the Western Zhou Dynasty. Will you dare to walk the path that Destiny reveals to you? The only thing certain is that its promise of Great Rewards will be matched by Great Dangers!

A player will interact with 7 historically-accurate cities. Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the Bronze Age. This campaign features two new custom maps of 'enormous' size. Sabotage by spies has been disallowed for this campaign, although spies can still be used for information gathering.

For chronological continuity, this campaign should be played after concluding the 'Edge of the Ordos', mission 3 of the Zhou Dynasty 'Turbulent Winds' campaign.

The download zip file contains an extra file named 'BLD_Readme.txt'. This text file contains installation instructions, historical background information, campaign design notes, general play tips, and mission hints (warning: contains spoilers). Additionally, other hints are available by viewing the album of playtest screenshots in the Emperor Heaven gallery.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This campaign is rated 'Very Hard', and is designed to provide a solid challenge for advanced players. For the best play experience, a player should possess an advanced understanding of time-constrained missions, money management, combat and military operations, trading, labor allocation, monument construction, summoning and using the Heroes, and empire-map diplomacy. This campaign could be considered combat-heavy!

Missions Teasers (note: the first three missions have a time-limit)

Mission 1 - 'Of Begging, Banditry, and Burials' - 15 years, from 793 BCE to the end of 779 BCE

Mission 2 - 'The Quan Rong Ultimatum' - 4 years, from 778 BCE to the end of 775 BCE

Mission 3 - 'The Doom of the Zhou' - 4 years, from 774 BCE to the end of 771 BCE

Mission 4 - 'A Ransom for Ashes' - no time limit, begins in 770 BCE
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Tekee A Solid Challenge for advanced players?
I will beat some of the other custom adventures first before trying this one a bit more times before trying this one out ;)
SeaWorld
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Before you even try and attempt this master Xia's Diary.

This is hectic. The biggest goal is to get through the hurdles of Bronzeware and silk amidst invasions and unscripted attacks

Playability: 4
Slow yourself down. you have all the time in the world. Save regularly you will need numerous strategies to get everything just right

Balance: 5
Very challenging. Labour allocation. DON"T BUILD TOO BIG. but if you do don't upgrade your housing unnecessarily

Creativity: 5
Stunning... set warehouse to accept fish and Mill to get with an extra warehouse to get fish and keep swapping the warehouse.

Map Design: 5
Massive. I was worried about the opening labour allocation but Millet season starts late so was fine.

Story/Instructions: 5
Enjoyable... not as draw you in but gets the plot across

Additional Comments:
Watch out for the lack of watchtowers in M1. Unrest can kill you. Don't over spend too much, - 500 is already pushing it as you can only make cash off of tax and your rookie wrong side of the river mint. Huang Di is a permanent fixture...

BE WARNED not for the rookie Xia. this will frustrate the life out of you

Thanks to the team for another stunning episode
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi Seaworld! Once again let me say thanks on behalf of my playtest team and myself for leaving the review.

This is another campaign that was designed with the experienced player in mind, with a strong emphasis on maximizing limited resources and utilizing a deep understanding of the game engine's diplomatic model.

Glad you found it fun and challenging.
LucullusMaximus
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
I loved the feeling of isolation in this campaign. You have no friends to bail you out or trading partners to deliver the goods you need. You have to choose between nice-guy (bribing) or bad-guy (conquering) to get the wares. In addition you need to fill your coffer admidst constant attacks from angry neighbours and cash request from your only friend , those pesky Xiongnu. Lot´s of nail biting awaits you if you try this one.

Balance: 5
As Sea-world pointed out , not for the rookie. Unless you (like me, a rookie) are prepared to accept hours of frustration when your best layed plans go awry.

Creativity: 5
Great. You won´t find anything like this in the original game. You are alone(almost) and when problems pile up you need to adapt. Lower wages, increase taxes , send bribes , summon heroes or whatever to make things going. Simply put, be flexible.(And when things go awry, accept the loss, learn from your misstakes , and start over)

Map Design: 5
Don´t be fooled by the size of the map. This is not the place for a grand city. Lots of options for placment of your bandit strong hold.

Story/Instructions: 5
Great as always . If you lack knowledge about chinese history, reading Gweilos Instructions will fill many gaps and inspire you to further reading.

Additional Comments: Don´t miss the last scenario , rebuilding Hao. There is a lot of action found in this one.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
LucullusMaximus, thank you again for leaving a review. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

It sounds like you did rebuild Hao in continuation play, and discovered all the intricacies and details of that mission. Good for you.
LucullusMaximus Hi Gweilo.

If memory serve me right (I played this like 5 months ago) I spent a lot of cash right from the start(almost went into red numbers) of the scenario and did not get the victory screen when the cash donation arrived.

I was so proud of myself when I finished the Yong scenarios that I almost skipped this one. I wanted to move on to the next campaign. But gazing at the razed Hao I just knew I had to rebuild it. I had an ambitous plan rebuilding a grand city, but chickened out when I failed to conquer one of the 3-shield rival cities, and ended up with a semi-decent one. Hopefully I will find the time to return, and do it right this time.

I have played all of your campaigns and as you may have guessed, I started in the wrong end with the Fall of Song and then Banditlords Destiny followed by Diary of a Xia. After finishing Diary of a Xia, I decided to start from the beginning with Destiny of Cao and right now I am at the end, playing Wayward Sun-Wu-Kong. More reviews will come.

[Edited on 10/21/11 @ 07:21 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance5.0