Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 3
# of Cities: 1
Difficulty: Very Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
Once, there was a supernatural being called the Monkey King. His real name was Sun Wu Kong, and he served Great Buddha. His many powers were matched by his many moods. Inevitably, a day came when he rebelled. Sun Wu Kong caused great havoc in Heaven before Buddha himself appeared, and punished him.

Now five centuries have passed, and the legend of Sun Wu Kong has faded. It is now, during the time that the new Tang rulers are wrestling control of the Middle Kingdom from the Sui dynasty, that the pilgrimage of a monk will spark the return of the wayward Sun Wu Kong.

You serve with pride as a general of emperor Gaozu. He has ordered you north, to establish a city where you will produce commodities for the Tang war effort. Wuxing Mountain awaits you...rich in resources but also shrouded in rumor and legend. Will you sense the ancient secret also lying in wait? If you believe solving the mountain's mystery is the end of your challenges, you are mistaken. It is only the first of many!

A player will interact with 10 cities (9 historically-accurate). Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the Steel Age. This campaign features a new custom map of 'enormous' size. Sabotage by spies has been disallowed for this campaign, although spies can still be used for information gathering.

For chronological continuity, this campaign should be played after concluding 'Refurbish Job', mission 4 of the Tang Dynasty 'A Time of Grandeur' campaign.

The download zip file contains an extra file named 'TWSWK_Readme.txt'. This text file contains installation instructions, historical background information, campaign design notes, general play tips, and mission hints (warning: contains spoilers). Additionally, other hints are available by viewing the album of playtest screenshots in the Emperor Heaven gallery.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This campaign is rated 'Very Hard', and is designed to provide a solid challenge for advanced players. For the best play experience, a player should possess an advanced understanding of time-constrained missions, money management, combat and military operations, trading, labor allocation, monument construction, summoning and using the Heroes, meeting production goals, and empire-map diplomacy. This campaign could be considered combat-heavy!

Missions Teasers (note: the first two missions have a time-limit)

Mission 1 - 'The Secret of Wuxing Mountain' - 8 years, from 618 CE to the end of 625 CE

Mission 2 - 'Guan Yin's Divine Plan' - 5 years, from 626 CE to the end of 630 CE

Mission 3 - 'The Taming of Sun Wu Kong' - no time limit, begins in 631 CE
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Beijing Tag
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4

Played at VH and aiming for perfect FS it can be a stiff challenge, but great fun.

Balance: 4

Three missions with a nice variety of goals. Perhaps the last mission could do with some added variety, perhaps too combat heavy for some.

Creativity: 4

No new trick or technique is required to win any of the missions, simply a sound knowledge of a broad range of Emperor skills. This is not a criticism rather a strength of the scenario. I prefer campaigns where a variety of strategies are required than 'one trick pony' types.

Map Design: 5

Only one map but what a map it is. Very realistic looking in layout with resources spread across the map rather than simply lumped together. A keen understanding of pathing mechanics is needed in order to effectively utilise the resources.

Story/Instructions: 4

It's a Gweilo campaign, so this area is strong as always.

Additional Comments: Quite a challenging triptych of missions. I think I enjoyed M1 the most, perhaps because it is always fun to get to grips with a new map, especially one so challenging. Think I might come back to it in a month or two and see how it plays out with the initial block (and maybe first mixed elite) placed in the southern plain by the in/out point.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
BT, as always, thanks for your review.

You hit the nail on the head with your comment about the map, one of my primary goals with its design was to challenge a players skills with pathing mechanics.
SeaWorld
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
Rough, you got to know your techniques... The little things trick you up. Love the time limits...

Balance: 5
don't get side tracked, pause key was my best friend in the reallocation of labour. Annual tributes are a challenge

Creativity: 5
Some great changes from the original. large tributes, large population, extensive distances, an earthquake hit me in M3, lost entire city... rebuilding everything with just streets and statues was fabulous. the cashflow after M2 is stunning.

Really big. check settings on everything twice. never block potential up and down routes.

Story/Instructions: 4
M3 gets a little long...

Additional Comments:
We need a hero with a horse or something. Moving heros to combat sights in M2 or 3 is crazy due to the map size and the 8 possible entry points. They arrive to late to be effective and if you are lucky enough to have guessed correctly your forces arrive after they have left and then walking them back to the combat takes forever. I recommend 8 cavalries due to map size they can redeploy fastest across the map.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi Seaworld, thanks for another review. There was a reason I rated this one 'Very Hard'; it is a solid challenge for advanced players. Congratulations on winning it.

Let me point out a couple of things for other players who may read this:

1. There is no scripted earthquake in Mission 3. All the scripted disasters occur in Mission 1. So if a player experiences disasters in other missions, it is a result of their gameplay (i.e., neglecting to pay homage to the Ancestral Heroes).
2. It's often more important to keep a martial hero OUT of the fighting, so they do not risk being destroyed and exiting the fight. This is an important strategy if the hero has a special ability that you desire to be in effect for the entire battle. For example, when I am using Sun Tzu in a battle, I keep him away from the heaviest fighting. I do this because his boost to infantry morale is often critical to winning a big battle, and I want my infantry to have that boost no matter how many game months the battle lasts.

[Edited on 09/05/10 @ 12:14 PM]

SeaWorld Touche... i was taking my time on mission 3. picking fights to reverse vassel status and getting 75 weapons in a year (fighting, buying and making) I ended up stock piling 70 steels for 2 years, 8 smiths, then released at new years with Sun Wu Kong to bless the smiths... at eighty percent speed, military on high (collapse everywhere else)i hit 180 racks in a year, was stunning an absolute rush. Had weapons for everyone.
LucullusMaximus I have encountered a problem.

I am playing mission 1 on hard level and built 2 cavalry forts and sent a 2 horse strong contingnent to Liangzhou and Yen respectively. After a while they break of trade but not the alliance. I renew trade connections ,both cities are still sympathetic, but the cavalry units are stuck on the map and do not return. I manage the first Xiongnu raid with the help of Huang-Di but still no sign of the cavalry units. The message of thanks or complaint of late arrival of military units, have not been shown.

Is it someting I have done or is it a bug?.

[Edited on 10/28/11 @ 09:08 AM]

Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
LM, yes it is a bug in the game engine. Note that it only occurs sometimes. Here is a link to a forum thread that explains it more, along with some suggestions for avoiding it.

http://caesar3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/caeforumscgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=19,6789,,all
LucullusMaximus Gweilo2, Thank´s for the information. Postponing both requests might have had something to do with it. I´ll try again witout sending any troops.
Pikestaff
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
I played this campaign on hard and found it very playable.

Balance: 4
I prefer to avoid fighting and bribe my way out of trouble. For me, mission 1 rates a strong 5. Tough at the start, with accurate play required throughout in order to afford the bribes and meet the treasury objective. Having planned ahead, missions 2 and 3 were rather less challenging. There's not a lot to do in mission 3 while your troops are abroad.

Creativity: 4
Great use of the map and other constraints to make mission 1 a real challenge. The various goods demands and production requirements sustain interest into the later missions.

The map really made me think about how to lay out my city to the best effect. That's my favourite part of the game so it was great for me.

Story/Instructions: 5
First rate as always from this author.

Additional Comments:
I have upload my completed city. There is further comment there.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hello Pikestaff! Thank you for leaving a review. I'm glad you enjoyed my adaptation of portions of "Xī Yóu Jì", which we know as the famous tale "Journey to the West".
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5