Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 4
# of Cities: 2
Difficulty: Very Hard
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
The Fall of the Southern Song Dynasty began in the later half of the 13th century, when it began a downward spiral of internal decay. Kublai Khan watched the Song's growing weakness with great interest. Finally, his Yuan armies invaded. By that time, the Song military had been weakened and demoralized so much that they could not withstand the might of the Yuan. In 1279 CE, the last Song loyalists were destroyed at the Battle of Yashan - and with them the last Song emperor.

How would a loyal servant of the Song have faced the conquest of his country? That question will be examined throughout the storyline of this campaign. To spur this exploration, the campaign deviates from true history. The storyline will follow the premise that Zhao Bing, the last boy-emperor of the Song, was rescued from the destruction at Yashan. A player will assume the role of one of Zhao Bing's protectors, dedicated to preserving his royal bloodline.

A player will interact with 8 cities (4 historically-accurate). Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the Steel Age. Sabotage by spies has been disallowed for this campaign, although spies can still be used for information gathering.

For chronological continuity, this campaign should be played after concluding 'Genghis at Zhongdu', mission 7 of the Song Jin 'Invaders from the North' campaign.

The download zip file contains an extra file named 'TFOTS_Readme.txt'. This text file contains installation instructions, historical background information, campaign design notes, general play tips, and mission hints (warning: contains spoilers). Additionally, other hints are available by viewing the album of playtest screenshots in the Emperor Heaven Gallery.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This campaign is rated 'Very Hard', and is designed to provide a solid challenge for advanced players. For the best play experience, a player should possess an advanced understanding of time-constrained missions, money management, combat and military operations, trading, labor allocation, monument construction, summoning and using the Heroes, meeting production goals, and empire-map diplomacy.

Missions Teasers (note: the first three missions have a time-limit)

Mission 1 - 'Death of a Dynasty' - 4 years, from 1276 CE to the end of 1279 CE

Mission 2 - 'A Secret Exile' - 7 years, from 1280 CE to the end of 1286 CE

Mission 3 - 'The Great Khan's Edicts' - 5 years, from 1287 CE to the end of 1291 CE

Mission 4 - 'The Empty-Purse Rebellion' - no time limit, starts in 1292 CE
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Eurus Very nice Campaign. The maps are interesting to explore and use. I just finished the first mission after failing four times. So it's highly motivating because I didn't want to just throw it away and play something else.

Thanks
SeaWorld
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Tough don't expect anything easy... absolute challenge, especially the first couple of years getting labour into manage your food supply. Do the maths. Stick to the mission goals. Songzhao = 50 x 20 =1000. don't over upgrade you don't have the cash to waste.

Balance: 5
Stunning, lots of time to drink coffee as you wait to open the farms in the correct season. Build between opening months. Watchout for a hemp crisis, still worse than an earthquake.

Creativity: 5
Loved it. the perfect harmony between the challenge of map sizes verse labour verse food verse military.

Map Design: 5
Exquisite, scary to swing a map every 30 seconds looking for routes, clear land, least amount of trees to remove... Poses absolute challenge at all levels.

Story/Instructions: 5
Readme file an absolute must... study it, know it, sleep on it... even with all the hints and tips the game still poses a challenge.

Additional Comments:
If you make a mistake in the first 3 - 5 years. STOP!!! REPLAY the MISSION with lessons learnt. A triple debt anniversary is hell if it is as a result of your bad gameplay. Battles in Mission 3 are classic. You need Haung Di, his bow and arrow are classic he doesn't have to walk too far to get into the action. Shen Nong is just a great illussionment... And the rest well? Play the game...

[Edited on 08/25/10 @ 06:37 PM]

Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi SeaWorld. On behalf of myself and the playtest crew, THANKS!
LucullusMaximus
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5

I am latecomer to this wonderful game and I felt a little sad when i finished the last campaign and it was all over. It was time to look for another game or try one of the campaigns found here in download central. I choose the latter and o´boy was I blown away when I tried this one. It played so differently compared with the original game and I had to learn a whole set of new concepts such as micromanagment, saves every three months, loving the pause button, survive on tax income only!!. Simply put , this was hard.

Balance: 5
If you played the original game and directly jump on to this one you might think it is unbalanced. I thought so, but it is all about doing it right from the word go!. There are no room for mistakes, but that is what make this such a wonderful challenge.

Creativity: 5
You will tangle every aspect of the game in this campaign. Space managment, economy , military, production quotas, well I´ll stop there or the list gets too lengthy.

2 wonderful maps, especially the Luo archipelago.

Top notch. Installation instructions, hints , historical background. It´s all there.

Additional Comments:
I wish to give my thanks to Gweilo for the campaigns you have created. You prolonged my play of this game and taken it to another level, compared with the original game.

[Edited on 10/18/11 @ 10:34 AM]

Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi LucullusMaximus! Thanks for the review. I'm glad this one sharpened your skill, but more than that I'm glad you had fun.
Pikestaff
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
I played this campaign on hard and found it very playable indeed until I figured out what worked for me. But get the city design right and there's not much left to do, unless you choose to fight.

Balance: 4
Missions 1 and 3 are a real challenge at the start. The first time through I struggled a bit. The second time I focused 100% on maxing out the population and tax by evolving to Luxury Apartments asap, making no military investment (from steelworks up) until I had done so. With this strategy, plus the rapid evolution of Heavenly Compounds in missions 2 and 4, the rest became rather too easy. I was never seriously short of funds and I avoided fighting completely because I had enough money for bribes. The time limit in mission 3 was tight, but I had so much money coming in that mission 4 was trivial.

Creativity: 4
Great use of maps and other constraints to make city design and getting started a challenge.

The maps really made me think about how to lay out my cities to the best effect. That's my favourite part of the game so it was great for me.

First rate as always from this author.

Additional Comments:
I will upload my completed cities and add further comment there.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hi Pikestaff, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Nice to see this old campaign has withstood the test of time and still provides a good gaming experience.
Siuming Accidentally run into this gem. It do is very hard and very challenging, and I do have a incredibily hard times since I am not really a good player on RotMK.
Now stuck in Stage 3, being desperate on generating enough cash, may need to reconsider start over from Stage 2.
Any advice or hint will be absolutely appreciated.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hello Siuming! Thanks for the kind words. I put a text file in the download that has hints and tips in it to help you win all the missions in the campaign. It is named TFOTS_Readme.txt. Did you find it?

Here is the biggest tip for meeting the treasury goal in mission. You should begin laying elite housing as soon as you can in the first game year of mission 3.
If you have prepared for this before mission 2 ended, you have a great head start. The taxation on your elite housing will be crucial to meeting the
treasury goal, so you should do everything possible to place it and evolve it to Heavenly Compounds as fast as possible.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.7
Creativity4.7