Author File Description
Gweilo2
File Details
# of Episodes: 3
# of Cities: 1
Difficulty: Normal
Custom Maps: Yes
Minimap:
"Xingshan", or "Star Mountain", has been a place of awe, fear, and mystery for untold millennia. Ancient stories of magic and curses surround it. The Legend of Xingshan has kept even the most courageous rulers from building there. Until now.

The An Shi rebellion has just ended, leaving the Tang dynasty severely weakened. In these desperate times, risks must be taken to revitalize the Middle Kingdom. The Tang now look to young administrators such as you for hope. You must risk all by daring to settle at Xingshan. Some are fated to face legends, to be either consumed by them, or to conquer them. Which fate will be yours?

This campaign includes three missions and a player will interact with 9 cities. Resources, commodities, and available structures follow the Emperor model for the steel age.

A new custom map of 'enormous' size and temperate climate was created for this campaign.

An extra file is included in this download. It is a text file named 'TLOX_Readme.txt', and contains installation instructions, background information, campaign design notes, general play tips, and mission hints (warning: contains spoilers). Additionally, other hints are available by viewing the album of playtest screenshots in the Emperor Heaven gallery.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This campaign is rated 'normal' and will provide a difficulty level similar to the campaigns in the core game.

Missions Teasers: (Note - there are no time limits on any missions in this campaign)

M1 - The Sacred Lake of Xingshan - begins in 764 CE.

M2 - Wrath of the Water Demon - begins in 780 CE.

M3 - The Soothing of Shuimu - begins in 795 CE.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Wiechie
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
As usual with Gweilo the campaign plays really well.
plenty of opportunities to stretch the novice player as well as those who have been playing for a while.
The invasions were easy to pay off, if enough cash collected, also with the use of the Gods.

Balance: 4
I liked the the link to tasks, but i found the building of two monuments in the third mission a little much, since, all other goals achieved, it really was a waiting game until they were finished, perhaps split them between the other missions, but i may have missed something in the story line.

Creativity: 5
Great story line, with hints, if you read them carefully. Flooding meant you had to be on your toes to deal with the break to the salt and stone production.

Map Design: 5
Excellent map, I try always to achieve perfect Feng Shui, and this had enough in it to acheive that.

Story/Instructions: 5
Excellent, and well constructed story line.

Additional Comments:
I really enjoyed this campaign, and have in fact now played it a number of times, but always come up with a different solution.
I am not a fan of time limited missions, so this ticked all the boxes for me.
Thanks again Gweilo. A great addition to your portfolio.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hello Wiechie, thank you for the review! I especially appreciate your comments about Playability because I was targeting 'normal' difficulty level, with elements of opportunity and challenge thrown in for players of all skill levels.

[Edited on 07/19/20 @ 09:14 AM]

zhoudynasty
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
My first ever review.

Playability: 4
Mission 1 is pretty easy with VH, why is it rated as 4 and not 5? The lack of not being able to put more fishing quay at the river side of the salt mine is the reason. It is definitely a good spot for fishing in my opinion; but unable to do so and need access to fishing grounds, except if you want to trade with Jiangling, or decide to have salt as your staple food supply, or to mine for stone production.

Balance: 4
I find that in Mission 2, it is nicely picked of Lhasa to be scripted to become your rival and fall to "hostile" favor. This cut off my jade supply to make carved jade, until Lhasa is defeated and I succeeded in conquering Lhasa. :D I dont like to bribe but to fight unless I dont have any army.

If Mission 3 there's another scripted disaster like the one in Mission 2, or if there's another scripted invasion besides Lhasa's invasion, or a combination of both, or even a scripted crazy huge quantity request from other states, this would be a perfect 5.

Creativity: 5
Nice flood scenarios and wartime in Mission 2, really got me to replay in Mission 1 and build my 12 forts army to guard against the 2nd scripted war with Lhasa.

Map Design: 5
Expert in designing the map.

Story/Instructions: 5
Gweilo storyline is never a boring one.
Gweilo2
Staff
File Author
Hello zhoudynasty! Thank you for leaving the review, I appreciate it!

I intentionally did not allow fishing along the river because I needed to force players to fish at the Sacred Lake in order to match the storyline. I did correct this in the special version of this map that I released for Open Play, it has fishing points along the river.

Thanks again and happy gaming!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0