Difficulty: Hard
Population: 19162
Culture rating: 70
Prosperity rating: 100
Monument rating: 21
Kingdom rating: 100
Minimap:
Sawu is the mission parallel to Iken.

While our comrades are fighting in the southern wilderness to fend off the Nubians, our task at Sawu is to build an international harbour from scratch (literally), and make as much debens as we can to finance our army at the frontline. So, this city has to be rich. Very rich.

What is unlike Iken is that Sawu is quite peaceful. Although sometimes a few barbarians or pirates do appear at the corners, they can be easily swept away by a company of infantry or a few battleships. What is like Iken is that the ferry traffic is similarly tricky at Sawu, which may annoy a few of us, but with some proper arrangement that should not cause much problem.

With the target of a crazily rich Sawu, my objectives are:
1. Difficulty : Hard
2. Population target : 15000+
3. At least 16 palatial estates
4. Up to 97% population should get food, basic health and religious services
5. People should love me (eventually)

==========================================

To achieve a magnificent metropolis, urban planning is essential, especially in Sawu. There are several special geographic features we have to consider, and incorporate the solutions into the designs.

Anyone who tried to build in Sawu would definitely remember the tricky T-shaped river, which is specifically designed to force at least 2 ferry rides to travel to the large East land bulk. That means our design should minimize the West-East travelling, ESPECIALLY the caravans and workshop deliverymen. Another not-so-obvious water problem is the scarcity of ground water, especially when compared to other maps prepared for large populations like Itjtawy. There is only a thin rim of grass at the East large land bulk and a large desert in the centre. This won't cause much problem if it was to merely meet the 8000 pop requirement, but if we want to grow the city further to 12000+ pop then the residential blocks would have to be carefully designed and placed to utilize the ground water.

Also remember that Sawu is a trade city. While it produce only minimal raw materials (only copper and clay), with plenty of trade routes, almost anything can be imported and everything can be sold. Maintaining a highly efficient trade system is essential to support a metropolis, while producing some income from the surplus exports.
Of note, the land trade entry point is at central west and exit point is at southwest corner, both located at west land strip i.e. if designed properly, caravans can complete trade travelling along left edge of map and without crossing any river.
The water trade route, on the contrary, enters and exits around the northeast corner. The nearer the dock to the river mouth, the shorter the trading ships have to travel, shortening the turnover time.

Therefore, the general layout of the city is planned as such:
1. The western edge and southwest corner of the map are industrial zones with workshops that did not rely on waterborne raw materials, so as to maximize caravan trade.
2. The docks area is located at the south bank near the river mouth. This area contains multiple storage yards to get goods from around the map for waterborne export. The beer and papyrus workshops, which relied on waterborne import raw materials, are also clustered in this area.
3. Plenty of fishing docks are built along the river and island coast. I developed chickpea farms on meadows on the island and at the east bank as well. Together they produce as much food as Jesus with 5 breads and 2 fishes.
4. The gold mines are build along the southeast ores. The palace is, therefore, placed at the southeast corner to boost the mining rate and revenue.
5. And naturally, the nobility estates would follow the palace and be placed at east side of east land bulk. This region has plenty of space for multiple estates, service buildings and beautifications, plus the temple complex and festival square. A carefully placed large estate loop with water supply just available at the corner can extend deep into the desert and better utilize the landmass.
6. The best use of the centre of the desert of east land bulk is to place the sun temple and forts.
7. Worker residential areas are build along other available river banks.

- Stage 1
As the map is quite large, I started off the city in 3 separated "villages".
1. The first village with fishing docks is build along the south bank of river near entry point, which supports the initial fishing docks and offers a main bulk of working population.
2. The second village is at southwest corner near the small river branch. The clay/pottery/brick industry is built around this region at an early stage. The small pyramid is also set at the southwest corner desert region, in close proximity to brickyards (and imported limestone storage).
3. The third village is at southeast corner to support the gold mines and palace. With the hyena en route, the population in this village is expected to grow fairly slowly.

- Stage 2
After the city got its basic inhabitants, fish filling up granaries and revenue beginning to come in through gold mining and pottery/brick exports, I started other export industries. First I placed a few copper mines at northwest and southwest corners, exporting most of the ore for revenue while slowly producing weapons for the city garrison. Then I built another separated industrial loop along the west border, mainly for importing flax and exporting linen (pleasing Ptah helps to kick-start the textile industry). When all these industries start running smooth, there should be more cash than you can spend in 3 lives time.

- Stage 3
There were several tasks done in this stage, but with plenty of cash, it was easy and can be done simultaneously.
1. Building the dock area along the south bank of river with beer and papyrus industry.
2. Import wood and build warships (very useful in future event)
3. Build forts at southeast edge desert. (Then I sent the infantry to wipe out the annoying hyena)
4. Import limestone and start building the pyramid.
5. Build several chickpea farms to offer 2nd food. (I started at left side of T-shaped river)
With the city expanding, the separated "villages" will slowly get connected.

- Final stage
After most of the house receiving the goods to upgrade to fancy residences, more and more people move in and offering an excess of labour. Finally I can start importing/producing luxury goods and 3rd/4th food to transform the southwest village around the city palace into manors and estates. Meanwhile I also developed the island and east coast meadows for stable fish and chickpea supply for the noble population. I started stockpiling sandstone for the sun temple after importing enough limestone for the pyramid, and monument building is just a matter of time (but plan carefully as the sandstone import may interfere with game meat import).

Of note, with the experience at Itjwawy, I deliberately left some of the industrial zones and the dock area "disconnected"; which in fact, the areas are just placed adjacent to the residential loops with the connecting road deleted, and you would not notice until you look carefully. The disconnected industries included the linen, beer, papyrus and copper. This is done to avoid the workshop delivery boy travelling to deliver good directly to service buildings at the other end of the city, which severely hindered the efficiency, instead of dumping the goods at the empty storage yard right next door and returning to work. Let the storage yards, which we can build plenty, do the get/delivery job.

After ~25 years of development, here are my results

- Final population : 18500~20000
- Noble population : 26 palatial estates + 2 modest estates. Housing ~25% of the population.
This is somewhat lower than my usual planning of 30%~33% noble population. One reason of keeping a relatively large worker population is that I would like to keep the large manufacturing industry running, and another reason is that food production at Sawu - meadow farming and fishing - are both much more labour intensive than the usual flood plain farming.
- Unemployment rate : 0%~1%
- Economy : Taxing at 10% and paying 60db/month. Sawu itself can run a very lucrative industrial sector. With proper management and city planning, max import of raw material and max export of goods can be easily achieved. Not to mention the money farm at the palatial estates. The first million has been reached at ~20 years.
- Industry : Even after fulfilling the maintenance amount of goods for the estates, with the help of Bast miracles and Ptah temple complex, there are still some surplus of papyrus and linen for sale. Not to mention the major exports of copper, bricks and pottery, which supported the early phase of the city development.

I am sharing my Sawu design for download, and wish you would like it. To win you just complete the weapon burial provision with the city storage.

However, please note that in a few years time from the save there will be retirement problem. To play on you may need to "shuffle" the worker population.

Thank you very much. @_@
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
No messages found

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:129
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:295.10 KB