Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: No environment sounds after installing UPatch
posted 09-23-21 09:51 PM ET (US)   
After so many years, I'm playing through all the AOE campaigns. What a delight! The game is a work of art.
I found this UPatch and it was quite promissing. Installed version 1.1 R4 and everything looked fine. But I noticed that the environment sounds, such as bird sounds, beach sounds, forest sounds etc. were gone. The other sounds and the music work perfectly though.
Is it intended to be this way (the patch removed them deliberately)? Or is it a bug? Is there a solution?
If I play version 1.0a, without UPatch, these sounds are there. But of course, UPatch brings so much to the table (mainly resolution options) that I don't want to get rid of it.
Thank you in advance!

[This message has been edited by Moreno (edited 09-24-2021 @ 07:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-24-21 11:59 AM ET (US)     1 / 16  
I guess you can uninstall and reinstall UPATCH on top of AOE ROR 1.0C. And make sure you install it into the default directory and choose the Full Installation.

What version of WIndows do you have?

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 09-24-2021 @ 12:12 PM).]

posted 09-24-21 02:39 PM ET (US)     2 / 16  
Yes, I did that many times over. I install Age of Empires Gold Edition (Full installation), then Patch 1.0c, then UPatch. Unfortunately, doesn't work.
Also, it's in the default directory.
I run Windows 10 Pro x64.

[This message has been edited by Moreno (edited 09-24-2021 @ 02:41 PM).]

posted 09-24-21 04:12 PM ET (US)     3 / 16  
Don't install Patch 1.0c if you're using Upatch HD; I don't know if it affects anything, but there is no need to install it.

I install Upatch HD on RoR 1.0 and it works fine (Win 7 and 10).
posted 09-24-21 06:54 PM ET (US)     4 / 16  
I've tried that too. Clean installed AOE Gold Edition and UPatch without installing 1.0c. Didn't work.
I have no idea what might be causing this.
posted 09-25-21 02:30 PM ET (US)     5 / 16  
Wow, I didn't realize this, but it seems to be a problem with UPATCH, and maybe specifically with UPATCH on Windows 10.

When I run AOE1 ROR 1.0A on my Windows 10 laptop, start a Random Map with the Small Islands layout, Reveal the whole map with the Reveal Map cheat, and use the NO FOG cheat, I hear Ambient sounds like whales puffing and a Loon bird calling. But when I run AOE1 UPATCH on the same computer and take the same steps, there are NO ambient sounds: No Whale puffing or lion roaring or birds. This must be a glitch because there is in fact a SOUND folder in my AOE1 Upatch directory containing Ambient sounds such as ocean waves.

I don't recall if this same glitch shows up when playing UPATCH on my Windows 7 computer. The glitch might not be on Windows 7 for a few reasons:
1. My Windows 7 computer shows the Players' flags in the Diplomacy menu, but on Windows 10 my game has a glitch where the Players' flags don't show up there. So maybe there are other glitches when playing on Windows 10 that I don't realize.
2. I am used to playing UPATCH on my Windows 7 computer and don't remember a glitch where there are no ambient sounds.
3. UPATCH was made about 2014, probably for Windows 7.

Next, I tried turning on WINDOWS 7 "Compatibility" mode in the PROPERTIES menu for my .exe file on my Windows 10 computer. When I did this, I heard a lion and an elephant make noises, and heard a whale puff twice. But I didn't hear the bird song (a "Loon" bird) and didn't hear the ocean waves. So maybe playing UPATCH in Windows 7 Compatibility mode is a partial fix.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 09-25-2021 @ 02:31 PM).]

posted 09-26-21 07:26 AM ET (US)     6 / 16  
That's interesting, rakovsky. I'm glad you realized the problem. I've seen yet another user pointing the same problem in UPatch HD's page in Mod DB.
However, it seems that I don't have this glitch where players' flags don't show up!
As for the ambient sounds, I tried setting my .exe file in compatibility mode for Windows 7, but, as you said, it doesn't solve the problem entirelly.

[This message has been edited by Moreno (edited 09-26-2021 @ 08:46 AM).]

posted 09-26-21 01:11 PM ET (US)     7 / 16  
Either the ambient sounds show up correctly in Windows 7 or else if they don't, then I didn't notice the problem on Windows 7 because I was focused more on music playing and on combat sounds like Wololo.
posted 09-26-21 02:35 PM ET (US)     8 / 16  
Yeap. I created a Virtual Machine using Virtual Box, installed Windows 7 in it, then the game with UPatch. Problem is still there.
I've checked a gameplay in YouTube using UPatch HD and the sounds are also absent. I'm beggining to think that this glitch has always been there and people never noticed. Or the creator of the patch intended to remove such sounds.
posted 09-26-21 05:19 PM ET (US)     9 / 16  
Good work noticing this issue, Moreno.

Try running UPATCH more often in "Windows 7 Compatibility mode" and also running it on a Windows 7 computer and see if you EVER hear the Loon bird sound that you hear in AOE ROR 1.0A.

I expect that the UPATCH designer intended to include the sounds because I see that AOE UPATCH has a sound directory on my computer with ambient sounds for ocean waves.

I wonder if AOE DE has the same sound glitch because I heard that AOE DE is built on UPATCH.

Here is the contact page on MOD DB for the UPATCH designer:
https://www.moddb.com/messages/compose?to=aoe_scout

Here is the long "sticky" UPATCH thread here on AOE Heaven:
https://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,6578,,10

Here is the UPATCH comments page where you can post:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2477

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 09-26-2021 @ 05:22 PM).]

posted 09-26-21 09:39 PM ET (US)     10 / 16  
Thank you, rakovsky.
Sadly, aoe_scout has gone inactive since a long time ago and I don't think he works on the patch anymore, or even checks messages sent to him.
The only thread I haven't checked is the long "sticky" one. I'll take a look. Thank you.
As for AOE DE, I'm installing it again to verify if the issue is also present there!

[This message has been edited by Moreno (edited 09-26-2021 @ 09:39 PM).]

posted 09-27-21 10:46 AM ET (US)     11 / 16  
I just playtested UPATCH twice on my Windows 7 computer. I heard whales puffing 3 times, but didn't hear any other ambient sounds (eg. elephants tooting, lions roaring, the Loon bird call, or ocean waves). So I must have been playing dozens of scenarios on UPATCH without realizing that the ambient sounds were not playing.

UPATCH has been my go-to version for playing single player scenarios because the graphics are so good.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 09-27-2021 @ 10:47 AM).]

posted 09-27-21 10:54 AM ET (US)     12 / 16  
Yes, exactly. Same here. It's a pity we have this glitch. It might be a small thing, but I like to have the full experience, you know.
posted 09-27-21 12:02 PM ET (US)     13 / 16  
I checked all instances of the letters "sound" in the sticky UPATCH thread and no one ever mentioned this problem. I am guessing that they just didn't notice it.

Other than the noises from lions, elephants, and loon birds, what ambient sounds do you notice missing, MORENO?

I kind of remember ocean wave noises in the official AOE1 versions, but am not sure.
posted 09-27-21 12:41 PM ET (US)     14 / 16  
Yes, there are wave AND seagull sounds on the beach!
Also, cricket and owl sounds in certain times...

[This message has been edited by Moreno (edited 09-27-2021 @ 12:43 PM).]

posted 09-28-21 01:56 PM ET (US)     15 / 16  
Let me know what you find out regarding AOE DE's sounds.
posted 10-23-21 00:09 AM ET (US)     16 / 16  
Sorry for taking so long to respond.
Yes, on DE everything is fine. The sounds are there!
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » No environment sounds after installing UPatch
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames