Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Dorian Invasion

Author File Description
PartizanLegis
File Details
Difficulty: Moderate
Version: Rise of Rome
It is around 1100 BC. The Dorian people live a migratory life plagued by failing crops, hostile raids and adverse climate conditions north of Greece. Word is that Mycenae is in decline, and the surrounding Greek tribes such as the Ionians, Aetolians, Pelasgians and Thessalians are at war with each other and are in no position to unite against a common foe.

Now is the time for the Dorians to invade, loot, plunder and settle in the rich Greek southlands and claim the treasures of Mycenae and Ionia for themselves!

This is a scenario which was originally part of a Rise of Rome campaign about Ancient Greece, that was later ported to the Definitive Edition as 'Dawn of Hellas' and now it comes full circle as a Rise of Rome upload here in the Granary with reworked Eye Candy and Victory Conditions. Along comes the Scenario Instructions map -it is in Greek but hey, if you know basic geography, you can orientate yourself around the Greek peninsula. Read the Hints! Oh, and enjoy of course...
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
PhatFish
Staff
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.9
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This is the great "old school" quality I absolutely adore, on par with other top rated campaigns we have in the Granary!

Playability: 5
The Dorian Invasion is an amazing scenario in the sense that it takes you in and immerses you, yet allows for some replayability with different approaches you can take to win, or rather which of the Greek states you want to take out first. Be on the lookout for fish in the Meditterranean, as that is the easiest way to provide for food. My only gripe is the somewhat small passageways that kind of block your army from moving forward (also due to the AI building farms) at times, the pathfinding can be annoying here. Be sure to look for some hidden units that will join your cause.

Balance: 5
The .AI does a good job of defending, and it took me a few tries of massing an army and the destroying what needed to be destroyed. It is not too difficult to conquer Greece, but you need to keep an eye on your army at all times, or risk being defeated. I would have liked to see a more aggresive approach from the .AIs however, as I can retreat to my base and rebuild my army.

Creativity: 4.9
I would have loved to see a few puzzle elements in here, but a blend of fixed force (this part could have been a bit longer I think) and Build and Destroy works pretty well and is executed nicely. Maybe you could have needed to capture or convert some villagers rather than providing them right at the start, which would have made the conquest by the Dorians a little more difficult and would provide an interesting extra objective.

Map Design: 5
The map itself resembles Greece very nicely, and there is enough eye candy to keep me hooked. The towns/cities are designed nicely with roads and some additional special trees here and there. Could have used some extra's, but it is enough to satisfy what I am looking for in a scenario.

Story/Instructions: 5
This is probably the area where PartizanLegis shines the most, I love the historical background part in particular because it teaches you - a feature that is omitted mostly in Return of Rome. The instructions and vicotry conditions are very clear, well written and the bitmap as always shines beautifully.

Additional Comments:

Very well designed map, this simply is a very fun scenario and I had a great time playing it! Excellent work PartizanLegis. Download it and add this to your scenario collection, you won't regret it!
PartizanLegis
File Author
A 5 star review from PhatFish himself, now that truly is a badge of honour that I am proud of! Thank you so much for playing and taking the time to write a review for my scenario, greatly appreciated. It is true that puzzle elements are omitted, and I took a more horde-type approach for the presence of villagers, as this mission was originally part of my old campaign that was the precursor of 'Dawn of Hellas', which featured standard B&D and FF concepts.

Now that I got a review I am definitely thinking of returning to good ol' Rise of Rome and creating a puzzle-type old school scenario. Time to finally download the Composite Editor as well and fool around, I suppose...
sonictimm
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.9
Balance4.7
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4.9
Extremely fun!
Pathing could be a challenge at times since the map was so narrow and had lots of turns, but I love real-world maps so it was totally worth it.

Balance: 4.7
Took a long time near the end. I knew I would win, just took a long time to take out those last two.
It was a good puzzle with the limited tech!

Creativity: 5
Straight out of history, beautiful real-world inspired map, all the trees and small islands made this feel very different from a normal map. I enjoyed figuring out how to work with the small islands.

Map Design: 5
Sometimes it felt crowded, but like I said, it was a blast to figure out how to make things work on this map.

Story/Instructions: 5
Awesome map! Detailed history! Hints, multiple objectives. This is the kind of map I can sink my imagination into. Love that it's also based on history.

Additional Comments:
Very fun way to spend an afternoon.

I didn't come to leave a full review, just wanted to say that was an awesome map! Really enjoyed the effort you put into setting up the history, scenario instructions, and of course the map itself was an absolute adventure.

I think I'll download your other maps now 👀

[Edited on 01/22/24 @ 07:38 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0