Recent Updates

Showcase Scenarios » PTC19 - Ardwaine

Download File Post Review Post Comment

PTC19 - Ardwaine

Author File Description
Possidon
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c

"It's been two years since the Xandrian War ended. The world of Dystonia has seen peace throughout for the first time in a generation. However, reports from the country of Uldûrh speak of a number of brutal raids in the northern settlements. These raiders have presumably travelled from the Undying Lands and across Boba's Thumb to pillage the quite farms and market towns in the north.

After hearing news of these raids King Yassen of Zandria has sent you, Benjamin, his most trusted scout, to find out what exactly is going on in northern Uldûrh and who is responsible. After witness what remains of the burned down farmhouses and ruined towns, you have decided to report what you have seen to Lord Bastian, the leader of the Council of Lords. You head south toward the capital city of Ardwaine.

You could not have picked a better day to arrive than today. It's Regan's Day a national holiday which celebrates the life of Lord Regan, one of the founders of the country of Uldûrh. There's no better chance to go an explore the beautiful city and it's surround landscape than now. So go on, what are you waiting for? Start exploring.
"

This scenario is set in the world of Dystonia - the fictional world created for my scenario Wrath of the Traibs. This scenario is set two years after that and acts as a prelude to the sequel scenario. You don't have to have played Wrath of the Traibs to play this but it might help in understanding some of the fun dialogue that some civilians will tell you.

Please play this scenario on Fast Speed if you are using the music

This scenario came 4th in the 2019 Pretty Town Contest
This scenario was nominated for Best Map Design and Best Atmosphere at the 2019 Game of the Year Awards

I hope you enjoy exploring the beautiful city of Ardwaine. Please do give feedback and review.
Thanks for Downloading!

Possidon

A BLACKFOREST STUDIOS PRODUCTION
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Kataphraktoi
Rating
Ardwaine presents a nice balance of spawling countryside contrasted with a densely packed and bustling city.

The terrain mapping is of a solid quality and presents a good looking affair throughout. The terrain mixing is satisfactory and pleasant to look at. The dense forest is fairly good but I think some off grid trees would have surely hit the spot;while it does look good some extra complexity and variety to avoid any gridlike appearance would have been appreciated. The water is good though often the shore is a bit simple with a very clearly defined shallow and deep zone;a few tiles here or there of deeper water might have done well.

Detailing overall is decent;little points like the statue in the woods early on are positive points, although the nearby waterfall is quite barebones with no detailing. Using the stumps to frame the waterline is interesting although in a few spots it doesnt align with the shore all too well. The central city seems to be entirely lacking vegetation;I am not sure why some off grid trees or bushes are not present at least once in awhile especially along the south side of the riverbank in town. Some white outline can be spotted at times which doesnt look that nice with berries and the like.

Building placement is mostly good with a few oddities here or there. I like how dense the buildings are although once in awhile an obvious path ends up obstructed. There are a few too many times that the same house frame was obviously duplicated nearby for my liking. Overall I find the city to be quite convincing and a nice portrayal of what I imagine a medieval town would look like.

I do have a couple of issues with the map, such as the exploring unit. Its exasperating to have this tiny LOS to explore with yet I find marco+polo reduces a maps charm considerably without the fog of war. Considering no gameplay is present this could have been easily solved by increasing the scout units range, a possible fix in any game version. Also the deer creating white frames in the forest;there is another deer in the game with a square hitbox which doesnt display white outline, which could have been used instead and has been seen in atleast one older PTC entry, perhaps The Way Home IIRC.

Overall quite a respectable entry that provides a lively and immersive town worthy of exploration.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thanks for the review Kata. Yes there’s still alt if work needed and you’ve given some great points. Much of this entry was originally designed way back in 2013 before Userpatch came out and therefore before the ability to place things off grid. I was going to redo some of the forest to make it more realistic but simply ran out of time. I appreciate your review a lot. Thanks.
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Rating: 4

The player begins with a journey through a lush forest, encountering a sinister priest en route. After a brief ride, one approaches a majestic city surrounded by farmland, plains, mines, a harbor, and even a beach resort - all quite pleasing to the eye. It is clear that the author had both form and function in mind, and the city is vibrant and fun to explore. If one shortcoming were to be mentioned, it would be that several of the building combinations and mixtures of architecture styles, while bold and innovative, felt slightly off the mark. The author brings a unique map design style to the table, which is perhaps manifested most in his approach to landscapes. He is clearly familiar with some of the innovative tricks from past PTC winners, but renders familiar concepts with a distinct touch. One clever touch was the use of tree stumps to create a quayside along the river running through the city. The aforementioned building combinations were also indicative of a desire to experiment and innovate, marks of an experienced yet inquisitive designer. This is an aspect in which the entry truly excelled. The city has various features that one might expect from a medieval town, from magnificent keeps and churches to marketplaces and entertainment and training sites, while the outlying countryside contains the requirements for a thriving economy. It is an impressively intuitive and seemingly effortlessly functional mixture that deserves considerable praise. There is not much to comment on here - aside from the odd building combination here and there the map is largely strong in this regard. One considerable downside is in the choice of scouting unit, which as a Dark Age light cavalry has pitifully small LoS, complicating the exploration process.

Additional Comments:

An enjoyable and well-designed map, Ardwaine is fully recommended to any player interested in a fine showcase of map design.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thanks for the review Sam!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating