New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files
Recent Updates

Showcase Scenarios » Frozen (For WololoKingdoms)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Frozen (For WololoKingdoms)

Author File Description
Kataphraktoi
File Details
Version: Other Modpack
Required Modpack (if not included with the download): WololoKingdoms
Origination Story: After giving up on my PTC19 entry, I fell into a pit of despair and self loathing due to creative block. To blow off some steam I whipped out this map in a single week exactly to have some fun again with mapping.

This map is rather bland and uninspiring compared to a finished showcase scenario. There is no dialogue or unit movement. The villages are of a rather simple nature. Mostly its just terrain, which is of a sufficient quality that I felt it should be shared rather than shift deleted.

Feel free to use any part or the whole in any creation of your own.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
Frozen is a Showcase Scenario creates by Kataphraktoi, using Wololo Kingdoms, a mod pack which brings the assets of the Hd edition and it’s expansion to the UserPatch.

Rating: 4.5
The author stated that this scenario was created during a creative block whilst designing an entry to the 2019 Pretty Town Contest. The scenario was created within a week and therefore not much atmosphere has been put into the scenario. There is little interactivity between units, dialogue, patrolling units, music or sound effects. As this was not the intention of the scenario I will not be judging it as such, and purely be scoring this in the aesthetic design of the map.

Frozen is one of the most realistic and beautiful winter based scenarios that I have come across in my many years of downloading custom scenarios. Winter themed scenarios are notoriously difficult to design in comparison to other styles due to the limited amounts of snowy and wintery resources and objects available in the editor. That being said Kataphraktoi has incorporated a unique winter style to create this absolutely stunning scenario. Using an eclectic mix of brown, dead and snowy trees as well as a beautiful blend of snow and dirt, Kataphraktoi has created an astonishing bleak landscape that has been ravaged by the winter storms, yet still blossoming with life. The layout of every single unit, building and object is clearly thought out and placed perfectly, making excellent use of the off-grid tool. There are a number of settlements in the land, these are nicely designed from a small fishing villages to a larger fortified town. These are also nicely designed. I particularly like the use of towers to create wall corners in the small southern village. There is much realism in the map with a realistic wintry landscape, well designed forests, and I particularly love the realistic shorelines which use thicker ice patches to add more realism.

There is one part of the map which is an island covered in jungle and a Mesoamerican style village. This seems very out of place in this scenario so it’s was very surprising and odd to see. However it is also nicely designed and I can see that it was just a way for the author to demonstrate additional design styles. The jungle is very nicely design as is the village. The author has also tried to create walkable steps using bridge pieces. This is a relatively new technique which was popularised by Matty12345 in his winning PTC entry Lights of Kurishima. The author has created a decent attempt at these steps but they do look slightly wonky and imperfect in comparison to Matty’s versions.

Additional Comments:
Overall Frozen is an absolutely beautiful piece of extraordinary map design and well worth checking out. It will inspire anyone who is looking to design a wintry style scenario. While it does have its imperfects and could do with some polishing off and additional detail in areas, it is an incredible achievement and a fantastic way of demonstrating both winter styles of design and the Wololo Kingdoms Mod.

Thanks
Possidon

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:85