Recent Updates

Single Player Scenarios » China VS Shun-Nu

Download File Post Review Post Comment

China VS Shun-Nu

Author File Description
jcchen
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
First, ignore my bad English writing, at least you can understand what I write...
This campaign is a story about a general of Han dynasty--Ban Chau how to defeat Shun Nu in Shee Yu(Shee:west Yu:zone).I designed a new training system, you have to combine weapons and villagers to get soldiers, and tribute
a engineer to make siege weapons.
Thank you for download and play my campaign, please tolerate my English, and give me some comment.
Ju Chia Chen
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Clayperboy
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
This is a pretty good campaign, with lots of action. There are lots of triggers ,and perhaps a few didn't fire , but they were not a major setback , as the game play made up for it.
Playability: The game has it's challanges ,with a nice sidequest to gain an ally .Some of the fun was lost due to uncertainty. The instruction was adequate ,but left me unsure a few times .
Balance: The game was a pretty good length , and the fighting although at time a little hard, was not overpowering. You do have a lot of opponents to overcome , but some basic strategy will assure you victory
Creativity : The author is very creative ,and this is clearly seen when you start playing the game. You cannot build villagers or militia ,but you can aquire them after you scout the map. You can buy and train what you need from different avenues , which takes away from game boredom.
Map Design: The map is pretty much like a random map.
Story / Instruction: Like i mentioned , the instruction was adequate , but could have been improvrd on a bit. There are lots of small settlements and towns that you pass ,and your prompted to help or buy , and your not quite sure if you will set of a trigger before its time or something. The hints added a bit of help .
All said ,, i enjoyed the game , and hope the author contributes again.
wyckedcrow
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Hey, this was overall an awesome scenario. And nope, your English isn't bad :)

You designed a very creative system for building an army (by converting villies into infantry by garrisoning them in towers and bringing a trade cart of "weapons" to that tower, hiring hunters, etc). Definitely original and realistic, and adds a new dimension to gameplay. I did, however, have problems with getting light cavalry. I was able to bring horses to the designated area, but whenever my villies got close to the tower they just turned away. I didn't have problems with the barracks and archery range though. As a matter of fact, I did not have problems with anything else :)

The balance wasn't bad, but the fact that I could get soldiers by buying them instead of training them (which would require much more time) kinda gave me a huge advantage over the enemy (although the Shun-Nu army could do the same, I think)...

Also, I would've liked to see more eye candies and terrain changes :) Most of the map was just desert.

Overall, it was terrific and I really enjoyed it. It was too bad tho that there was only one scenario in the campaign cuz I definitely wanted to play more! Good work and keep making those scenarios!
laz123 The lag was too much. Nice try.
IsuckatXbows Don't worry about your English, Your grammar is fine ;)
rakovsky Wikipedia's description of key names from the Designer's summary of his Scenario above:

Ban Chao:
"(32–102 CE), courtesy name Zhongsheng, was a Chinese military general, explorer and diplomat of the Eastern Han Dynasty. He was born in Fufeng, now Xianyang, Shaanxi. Three of his family members—father Ban Biao, elder brother Ban Gu, younger sister Ban Zhao—were well known historians who wrote the historical text Book of Han, which recorded the history of the Western Han Dynasty. As a Han general and cavalry commander, Ban Chao was in charge of administrating the "Western Regions" (Central Asia) while he was in service."

Shun Nu:
The Xiongnu were a tribal confederation of nomadic peoples who, according to ancient Chinese sources, inhabited the eastern Eurasian Steppe from the 3rd century BC to the late 1st century AD. Chinese sources report that Modu Chanyu, the supreme leader after 209 BC, founded the Xiongnu Empire."

Shee Yu:
"The Western Regions or Xiyu (Hsi-yu; Chinese: 西域) was a historical name specified in the Chinese chronicles between the 3rd century BC to the 8th century AD[1] that referred to the regions west of Yumen Pass, most often Central Asia or sometimes more specifically the easternmost portion of it..."
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
The Playability was overall good because I could beat it without it being too hard and the instructions made sense. There was an annoying flaw where as long as your screen was on the Green Caravan leader, he kept saying that he and his caravan need to rest.

Another flaw in my view was that there were a lot of sidequests that didn't get recorded in the Hints tab, so that you must either remember them or make a note. So for example you need to kill the red commander in the SW edge to stop the enemies from the red player from streaming across the map toward your base. You learn this in a chat message but the Hints tab doesn't remind you about it. That's just one thing, but combined with lots of little objectives like that (eg. clicking on the right specific person or building to train soldiers), it becomes a little worrisome.

At the end I was expecting a tough fight against the castle in the west corner because it had Onagers and mine had been destroyed, but after I killed practically all the infantry inside the small castle area, leaving just the Orange onagers, the orange Shun Nu Player's castle fell into rubble without me attacking it and the game announced that the orange Player was defeated. After the castle disappeared, the Orange king unit appeared next to where it was. I guess that what happened was that I defeated the Orange player enough that he resigned. As a result, I never actually killed the enemy leader, which was the main goal in the Objectives tab.

------------------------------

Balance: 5

The balance was good in my view because I beat it on Hard and I'm about an average or below average player, but I used the Pause button a lot to help myself. The most challenging part was when it came to assaulting the orange base because when I got close enough, they started streaming a mix of units in an attack at my attackers.

Creativity: 5
There were a lot of neat creative tricks like garrisoning your soldiers into the Aqua towers in the two little forts in order to take over those forts.

Map Design: 4
This was really good overall, but the terrain was rather plain and flat, although it did have some oases, and around the edges there were forests. It would have been neater if the map resembled the historic contours of the region.

There seems to be a glitch where the Green Caravan shows up when you find the green enemy town west of your base, and then he constantly says that he needs a rest. I converted him to my team and used him as a scout, but he keeps saying this. I don't know if the Designer is trying to suggest something about him or his caravan (like a side quest that you can do with him) or if it's just for effect. I guess it's the latter because he never said anything different.

---------------------------------------------

Story/Instructions: 4

The History section could use expansion. Historically, Ban Chao led an expedition against the Xiongnu in 73 AD and retired in 102 AD.

The main downside was that there were a lot of side objectives or detailed instructions that didn't get noted in the Hints tab, as I mentioned earlier above.

Some things could have been worded more specifically or clearly. The siege market leader says that he requires 1000 gold to make an "onager," and to "tribute 3 to do this." It's not obvious what "tributing 3" means. It turns out that it means tributing Player 3 1000 gold using the Diplomacy menu instead of by clicking on the siege factory. IMO onagers are only good for fighting enemy masses, not really for sieges per se. The Hints section says that the engineer needs 10 seconds to make a "ram." That's confusing because a "ram" is not an "onager." It turns out that after you get about 4 Onagers from your Aqua Siege ally, he only gives you rams instead.

There is a Castle in the Southwest and a message says to put 5 soldiers into the tower next to the castle to occupy the castle. That means the Aqua tower next to the castle.

The Buyer by the pavilion on the SE side of the map offers 30 gold for a horse. I think he means he will buy horses from you.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.3
Creativity5.0