Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Defend the Spot Scenario Contest: 2020 Definitive Edition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 02-15-20 03:03 PM CT (US)   

Welcome to the sixth Defend the Spot Scenario Design Competition, and the first ever for Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. Held in 2007, 2008, 2013, 2016, and 2018, DtS has always been one of AoKH's most popular contests. With a new version of the game out, it's time for everyone to revisit their defense scenario designing skills once more!

So, what is a "Defend the Spot" scenario? Simple. The basic premise is that you have to hold out for a while in a limited area against superior forces. The most common type of DtS scenario is a defense of a fortified castle or city against hordes of invaders, but a DtS can be the defense of anything - a forest village, a newly-found treasure, a hill during a surprise attack, the king's ship in the middle of the sea - the possibilities are only limited by your imagination!

For good examples of DtS scenarios, check out these scenarios:

Defence at Lorgan's Watch - by Mash (winner of the 2016 DtS Competition)
Assault on Killgary - by White Champion (winner of the 2008 DtS Competition)
Defend the Island 4 - by Lord Basse (winner of the 2007 DtS Competition)
Blood of the Bear - by Mash
The Dogs of War - by Night Conqueror

Rules:
  • Only one entry per forummer or team. If more than one designer is working on the scenario, please list all names when you enter.

• There are no restrictions on styles - you can have fixed force, build and destroy, even role playing defend the spot games.

• Your scenario must be mainly playable. Cutscenes/storytelling where the player does not control their units should be limited to less than 5 minutes of in game time total for the whole scenario.

• The game must be a single player game. No multiplayer.

• The Definitive Edition of the game is the only allowed version. There are plenty of opportunities to compete with the original CD version, but this is the first chance for everyone here to go head to head with the new editor.

• No game modifications are allowed

Deadline:
All entries must be submitted to the Blacksmith by 11:59 forum time (CST), April 30, 2020.

Judging:

Judges:
1. Hockeysam18
2. Sebastien
3. TBD

All entries will be scored by each judge out of 50 points in the following categories:

Gameplay and Overall Enjoyment: 10 points for how fun the scenario is to play, the gameplay mechanics, and the overall experience
Balance: 10 points for how well the scenario is balanced for fair, challenging, and winnable play.
Map Design: 10 points for the aesthetics of the map.
Creativity: 10 points awarded for the creative choices made by the designer. The DE brings a wealth of new options that can lead to many new and exciting design ideas
Story: 10 points for the idea behind the scenario, the way the story is conveyed, and the instructions the player receives.

Scoring will be done on this metric:
10: Better than or as good as the judge has ever seen for similar scenarios.
8-9: Exceptional, elite for the contest, little negative can be said
6-7: Good, better than half the entries, a strength of the scenario
5: Average, nothing particularly good but not a particular weakness
3-4: in the bottom half of entries, not of the quality of the winners, and a notable weakness of the scenario
1-2: very poor, heavily lowers the overall opinion of the scenario

Contestants:

If you are interested in participating, sign up! Entries do not need a contest tag in the title, simply post that you have submitted your entry and its name here in thread to be included.

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 02-15-2020 @ 03:04 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-28-20 07:56 AM CT (US)     36 / 156  
Where's the bets thread at? Chances just got a lot better that Lord Basse to daunted to complete his entry :P.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 04-29-20 08:50 AM CT (US)     37 / 156  
Looks like we'll be having a lot of entries from designers who have not participated in past AoK Heaven contests. That should mean we get an exciting diversity of approaches.

posted 04-29-20 09:36 AM CT (US)     38 / 156  
I won't be finishing mine on time, I'm afraid. It's close, but there's just no way that I'll be able to complete it up and get it balanced well in one more day. Best of luck to all those who are able to deliver one!
posted 04-29-20 03:49 PM CT (US)     39 / 156  
Myrmidon thats sad to hear m8, i wanted to look at your work "If I get this published, it will be the first scenario that I've shared." you said, and its the 1st i share too.. anyway if i can help you testing it for submitting it in time let me know.
posted 04-29-20 04:00 PM CT (US)     40 / 156  
My entry is uploaded now; tracking number: 13519
Good luck everyone!
posted 04-29-20 05:26 PM CT (US)     41 / 156  
Bassi, the reigning DTS Champion has entered!

[This message has been edited by Filthydelphia (edited 04-29-2020 @ 09:09 PM).]

posted 04-29-20 06:10 PM CT (US)     42 / 156  
@BOT_Alan Thanks for saying that! I am still pretty excited about my project and hope to get it out there. I will definitely shoot you a copy for testing once it is a little more stable. I appreciate the offer!
posted 04-29-20 08:40 PM CT (US)     43 / 156  
Neat contest, glad I could make it! (This time even with some playtesting 11)

Tracking number: 13526
Title: "Doorstep to Valhalla"

Also, wow the DE editor has some wonders in store, this was a great excuse to really dive deep into all of the new stuff!

[This message has been edited by Alkhalim (edited 04-30-2020 @ 02:35 PM).]

posted 04-29-20 09:13 PM CT (US)     44 / 156  
Also, wow the DE editor has some wonders in store, this was a great excuse to really dive deep into all of the new stuff!
I'm biased of course but I agree. I think this contest will open up some eyes on what's now possible. I've had a look at a few of the entries that have been publicly available and there's definitely some innovation for this contest.

posted 04-29-20 09:46 PM CT (US)     45 / 156  
Even just having the ability to track variables is great!

There's still a lot that isn't very intuitive, but I still found a lot to love. I'm going to give some of these scenarios a shot now...

p.s. @Alkhalim your youtube tutorials were super helpful! Thank you so much for putting those out there.

[This message has been edited by Mighty Myrmidon (edited 04-29-2020 @ 09:47 PM).]

posted 04-29-20 10:28 PM CT (US)     46 / 156  
My map is now ready! Good luck to everyone and let's aim for the top spot

I present to you: Gensokyo: Seasons of Calamity, my first work into my new "Gensokyo" series.
Tracking number: 13522
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=13522
posted 04-30-20 00:44 AM CT (US)     47 / 156  
Just updated my file download with my final update before the deadline! (I hadn't uploaded before, and I wanted to make sure it worked right in advance) Tracking number 13513, Defend the Fortress.

I'm also going to try and make a video for it tomorrow, to showcase more of the project you won't be able to get to with the first few play throughs.

Also, also, I was thinking of making a video featuring all the entries. Would anyone be opposed to this, or is anyone planning anything similar?

[This message has been edited by Blume (edited 04-30-2020 @ 00:50 AM).]

posted 04-30-20 07:30 AM CT (US)     48 / 156  
I may have run out of time, but here it is anyway.

Submission: 13524

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 04-30-20 07:36 AM CT (US)     49 / 156  
i don't mind blumme, sounds great actually, if anyone wants to use my map for his work or something, its fine by me i will not publish it anywhere else, and no need to add my name. it was fun participating even if i get last place.
special thanks to zero's empire videos that led me here, to all youtube guys that helped.(a lot), and aok heavens forums.

there is a list or something with all the contestants and their projects?

[This message has been edited by BOT_Alan (edited 04-30-2020 @ 08:26 AM).]

posted 04-30-20 07:37 AM CT (US)     50 / 156  
@Mighty Myrmidon: Feels pretty good to get this kind of feedback, trying my best to support the editor community, and at least in parts it seems to pay off..
posted 04-30-20 07:39 AM CT (US)     51 / 156  
Alkhalim you helped me a lot too, i hope to see more vids about editing lesson in the future.
posted 04-30-20 10:39 AM CT (US)     52 / 156  
Was a lot of fun working on this map, very different than anything I had done before. Also first time working on AoK heaven, so hi everyone!

A most unusual package: 13525
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=13525
posted 04-30-20 12:14 PM CT (US)     53 / 156  
Welcome, Thanator! I'm glad you took the chance and took part!
posted 04-30-20 12:47 PM CT (US)     54 / 156  
It’s so good to see a number of entries from people who are new to AOKH
posted 04-30-20 12:56 PM CT (US)     55 / 156  
I think that this website started to resurrect due to the release of DE. DE resurrected this website. So if Moderators continue making organizations with DE game this website may be like before 2008. Unfortunately I couldn't make an entry because the DE only works with Windows 10. (I have Win 8.1 for now.) But I started to make my "Doom Episode 4" scenario with the help of coronavirus free time. So Good Luck for all contestants.

My bet is:

1-) Bassi
2-) Al_Kharn
3-) duyhung2h (Don't underestimate him. His Daring Do scenario was very effective.)

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 04-30-2020 @ 12:57 PM).]

posted 04-30-20 02:44 PM CT (US)     56 / 156  
@Blume a great idea, as your presentations are well thought out and throughfully

Those videos, I think will open to more casual player who hasn't known about scenario designing into our playground

Edit: @HELLKNIGHT, i'm flattered about your compliment. Since back then my English skill was very limited and i couldn't even write an English sentence right. But i do hope you'll enjoy what i have to offer this time around!

[This message has been edited by duyhung2h (edited 04-30-2020 @ 03:09 PM).]

posted 04-30-20 03:19 PM CT (US)     57 / 156  
@Blume, yeah I planned to do a little series on the contest entries, as there will be some quite juicy scenarios to be seen here I assume..
posted 04-30-20 03:55 PM CT (US)     58 / 156  
@Hellknight, DE does work on 8.1, it's what I use when playing.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 04-30-20 08:22 PM CT (US)     59 / 156  
Just to have all eight entries in one place, organized by time of submission to the Blacksmith:

The Last Romans by Filthydelphia (aka Al_Kharn the Great)

Defend the Fortress by Blume

Perdiccas by BOT_Alan

The Battle of Sighnaq by bassi_aoc (aka Bassi)

DTS20 - Gensokyo: Seasons of Calamity by duyhung2h

DTS20 - The Fountain of Youth by MrMew

A most unusual package by Thanathor

Doorstep to Valhalla by Alkhalim

Sorry, I don't know the name of MrMew's submission so I'll edit this post with it when it's published.

[This message has been edited by Filthydelphia (edited 05-02-2020 @ 10:57 AM).]

posted 04-30-20 08:42 PM CT (US)     60 / 156  
Sorry, I need to update my file to fix some issues of being soft locked on the early level, but it's already past the due date.
Could the judges kindly accept my file update after the submission being reviewed? I wouldn't want any bug, by a slim chance, that could cause some frustration to the end-user.

[This message has been edited by duyhung2h (edited 04-30-2020 @ 08:46 PM).]

posted 04-30-20 08:55 PM CT (US)     61 / 156  
It's not past the due date yet. You have 3 more hours.

posted 04-30-20 09:51 PM CT (US)     62 / 156  
I updated my file, with a new tracking number: 13527
@Mr Wednesday can you remove my old submission and replace it with this new one? Technically this file update is still within the due date.
posted 04-30-20 11:13 PM CT (US)     63 / 156  
I just rejected the older submission, so only the new one will get approved.

Regrettably I have missed the deadline. Hopefully I will still finish it soon enough, but I am excited to see all these entries!

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 05-01-20 01:58 AM CT (US)     64 / 156  
Is it too late to sign up as judge?
posted 05-01-20 09:04 AM CT (US)     65 / 156  
8 entries is a good result! Looking forward to seeing the results! And Bassi, I'm counting on you to defend the SWS name!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 05-01-20 01:48 PM CT (US)     66 / 156  
8 entries - Vikings, Byzantines, Macedonians and so much more! That looks like a lot of great contributions to play with. Nice that so many participated. I can still remember the many great scenarios from the last Defend the Spot contest and I'm already looking forward to the contributions from this year.
posted 05-01-20 04:11 PM CT (US)     67 / 156  
@Alkhalim

Sounds good! I'll send you a DM and we can kinda see what each other are planning, that way maybe the videos can work in tandem and we can boost each other's view-counts. Also, your editing videos are great!

Edit: Shoot. I don't know how to DM on here. Are you on the AoKH Discord?

[This message has been edited by Blume (edited 05-01-2020 @ 04:14 PM).]

posted 05-01-20 04:52 PM CT (US)     68 / 156  
I don't know how to DM on here.
Welcome to HeavenGames.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 05-01-20 05:24 PM CT (US)     69 / 156  
Welcome to HeavenGames.
Where the forum has not changed in decades.

[This message has been edited by Filthydelphia (edited 05-01-2020 @ 05:28 PM).]

posted 05-01-20 05:58 PM CT (US)     70 / 156  
Where features that were basic in 2005 are still the future!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Defend the Spot Scenario Contest: 2020 Definitive Edition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames