Please login or register

Technical Help
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Fog of war glitch with good looking water
posted 26 April 2015 00:46 AM EDT (US)   
i'm almost 100% sure this solution isn't posted in these forums, cause it doesn't appear on google, and aom.heavengames.com is commonly one of the first sources to appear when googling for a solution in AOM.

i was trying to find a way to zoom out more than usual in game, without hacking, and also online compatible, so a way is to change the resolution so as to maximize the aspect ratio as much as the video card allows (making the screen look cinema-like) and the enlarging the window vertically (to don't lose the space cause of the cinema-like resolution). All of these changes are made with the video card, not in the game at all.

Somehow, by changing and changing and changing the resolutions, the i845.gfx file got corrupt and the tipical fog of war glitch reappeared. It's worth to mention, as some keywords (for someone who, like me, could search for this on google), that in this case the fog of war glitch appears, but not the water glitch, so this can't be fixed by replacing the file i845.gfx with the geforce3.gfx (that's the common solution on internet).

After all this exposition, read and do the following if you're having this issue (please make back up files before anything)

Open the i845.gfx file with notepad (or your prefered text editor, not word tho) and change the following parameter:

anisotropy=0

Normally, the anisotropy is set to 1, but putting it to 0 gave me back the normal game with fog of war as expected. Anisotropy is a characteristic of some materials, in which the direction of the incident/reflected light, affects some visual characteristic of the material, like a CD-Rom that looks from several colors, depending on it's inclination. I don't have clear how this affects the game, let's hope the best cause so far i haven't found a better solution than deactivating the anisotropy...

[This message has been edited by RTSR (edited 04-26-2015 @ 00:46 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06 May 2015 00:00 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
Nice! thanks for the info

posted 16 May 2015 11:42 AM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
Thanks Cease

i've been playing with anisotropy=0 since i started this thread, and the change isn't very big.

it "smooths" out the textures, i actually like it better like this, but i guess that it's because i have a little grade of astigmatism, so my eyes like better the smoothed textures, idk.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Technical Help » Fog of war glitch with good looking water
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames