Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoMH SD Competition 2020
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 13 April 2020 10:24 AM EDT (US)   
Alright AoMH, we're all stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment, but fear not. Your glorious overlord hereby decrees a new contest shall grace these noble halls. While in lockdown you should polish off your copy of the game and rebuild your skills in the editor. Great things are expected.

Your brief:
Build a small singleplayer map where the player partakes in an adventure. You will have three months to complete this task, and the below rules must be adhered to.
Rules:
  • Your map must be played in an area of maximum dimensions 100x100.
  • You are allowed to submit a map up to 150x150. The above rule still applies, use the space around the outside for cinematic/non-gameplay purposes only. Templates are provided if required, but you are not compelled to use them.
  • The theme and content of your map is entirely up to you - but must be playable as an 'adventure'.
  • Your map must be singleplayer.
  • You may use any version of Age of Mythology you choose.
  • Mods are allowed, however please try not to be excessive and give credit if they are not your own.
  • Use of custom content such as sound, skies, icons, triggers etc. is strongly encouraged - but you can still get a perfect score without them.
  • One submission per member.
  • Judges may participate, but will not win a prize.
  • The scenario can only be worked on by you, during the competition period.
  • The judges will play for a maximum of one hour per entry.
  • You must be a member of AoMH to participate in this contest. New members welcome.
  • Prize will be paid via paypal.
  • No monetary prize will be awarded if the contest attracts less than three entries. For three entries there will be one prize of £20. For four entries, there will be two prizes of £30 and £20. Five or more entries will unlock all three prizes as specified.
  • Rules subject to change without notice.
  • Judging criteria and identity to follow.
  • Useful guides can be found here.
  • Judges:

Yeebaagooon

TAG
    A rampant, unrepentant succeedophile who also writes his own introductions. Practitioner of social distancing before it was cool.Currently sheltering from COVID and hoping to inject himself with maps, rather than disinfectant.

Criteria for judging:

Adventure: Your map is an adventure so it has got to feel like one! In this category we will be grading your map for overall immersive feel. I want to feel like I am truly on an adventure. Many things can score you well here - over-arching themes and an epic storyline please!
    Balance: How difficult is your map? This is a challenge to get right, as your map shouldn't be too easy that they can be completed first time by the majority of players. Your map is supposed to be good enough that we would want to play it again, and be able to master it after a few tries.
    Cinematography: Since the oscars aren't happening AoMH will take the lead here. Cinematics are the cornerstone of all the greatest maps and your camera angles should complement perfect activity as well as dramatic shots that feel lively.
    Design: How well have you used the space that was given? 100x100 is a small area and I would hope to see it utilised well. If you are using lots of different areas, I don't want to see other areas or the edge of the map too much.
    Eyecandy: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. AoMH contests have been blessed with entries from the very gods of eyecandy themselves. Let's hope you can build something to make us proud.
    Features: Never has there been so much possibility in the AoM editor. With the madman nottud still at large we are expecting some never-before seen features in this contest and your map would do well to show off the numerous discoveries we have made.
    Gameplay: All about how smoothly your map runs. Lack of bugs and careful craft of the area to keep us on track.
    Deadline: Passed!
    We are now in the process of judging the nine entries we have received.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph

[This message has been edited by Pecunia (edited 08-25-2023 @ 04:42 AM).]

Replies:
    posted 13 April 2020 03:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 64  
    Nice - I hopefully got some time coming up so I will see what I can do.
    posted 13 April 2020 03:37 PM EDT (US)     2 / 64  
    nottud making a singleplayer scenario? We are entering the dankest timeline.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
    posted 14 April 2020 02:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 64  
    posted 14 April 2020 07:08 AM EDT (US)     4 / 64  
    Might give it a whirl!!

ROME: 78 BC | | | | | THE LOST RUINS
    Rome in your hands | Of Ancient Mesoamerica

AOMh Member since 2004
    posted 15 April 2020 07:02 AM EDT (US)     5 / 64  
    Good idea hosting this Yeeb. Now I just need a good idea for a scenario.
    posted 17 April 2020 02:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 64  
    Adventure to buy groceries amidst growing concerns over a mysterious pathogen.

posted 17 April 2020 04:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 64  
    I really hope someone makes a covid related scenario.
    May I suggest is is set in Finland and explores the death trend between the 5th and the 6th. Night King confirmed.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    posted 19 April 2020 04:03 AM EDT (US)     8 / 64  
    I started my scenario today and realised how small 100 x 100 is. It should be fun fitting everything in.
    posted 19 April 2020 10:58 AM EDT (US)     9 / 64  
    I started and finished my scenario today. I'll link it when it's approved in the downloads section.

Out Reach
    The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
    posted 19 April 2020 03:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 64  
    Tried to have a look but the .zip file is corrupted.
    Submit your entry by emailing a zipped file to me - yeebaagooon(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

posted 19 April 2020 09:04 PM EDT (US)     11 / 64  
    Little do you know, Yeeb, that zip file did exactly what Out Reach wanted it to do the moment you opened it on your private laptop.

I daresay that Out Reach's coup has already succeeded, and the 'Yeebaagooon' we know is no more.

posted 20 April 2020 03:36 AM EDT (US)     12 / 64  
    I am uncoupable.

posted 20 April 2020 09:53 AM EDT (US)     13 / 64  
    E-mailed you a probably working Zipped file.

Out Reach
    posted 20 April 2020 11:26 AM EDT (US)     14 / 64  
    So we have our first submission .

posted 20 April 2020 11:52 AM EDT (US)     15 / 64  
    I will not have time to create anything considering the semester ahead, however I bet it would be cool to have commentators record the scenarios and upload their gameplay on YouTube for the world to see.

In fact, this could be done with the whole Download Section. It's a treasure trove filled with wonders that could now be made accessible for everyone to discover.

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
    posted 20 April 2020 01:57 PM EDT (US)     16 / 64  
    Yeebaagooon "Let's Play" youtube channel when.

posted 20 April 2020 02:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 64  
    @Eurotool: Just don't do it with the archive I uploaded as you will be there forever.
    posted 20 April 2020 04:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 64  
    I also want to be clear the scenario will quest var echo the current score in my map at exactly the 1 hour mark, so I expect all judges to compete for the highest score in their 1 hour of playtime. I don't expect them to finish the full campaign.

Out Reach
    posted 22 April 2020 10:01 PM EDT (US)     19 / 64  
    I may have to try my hand if for no other reason that to re-sharpen my cinematic and trigger skills!

It's a shame that I don't have my old PC, I used to make tons of trigger heavy scenarios growing up on the family computer, but I was always too nervous to join the site to upload them... Sadly, they're all lost now. :/

At any rate, this is a really cool idea!

A wise man once said: "You may feel less like fighting after I pull off your head!"

Find me on Youtube!
    posted 24 April 2020 07:36 AM EDT (US)     20 / 64  
    Definitely going to make a map, putting campaign on hold. Best of luck lads!
    posted 03 May 2020 12:14 PM EDT (US)     21 / 64  
    This might actually the best incentive for me to return to modding/designing in AoM – but my ability to procrastinate is disturbing, so we'll see if I'll submit anything. Though I'm really looking forward to seeing what great stuff others will create!

Sometimes I like to take screenshots. But only sometimes.

[This message has been edited by Xzaander (edited 05-03-2020 @ 12:15 PM).]

posted 03 May 2020 01:33 PM EDT (US)     22 / 64  
    Glad to see some old blood popping up in these shops -- rejoice!

And beat that dreadful procrastination, Xzaander!

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
    posted 03 May 2020 03:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 64  
    Yes SirThobus, great to see you . Procrastinate in the editor, make a few amazing scenes and stitch them together and you're done .
    Imagine we will be getting 5+ entries from all the activity I'm hearing about so all the prizes should be unlocked.

posted 15 May 2020 04:39 PM EDT (US)     24 / 64  

Your map will be awarded up to 10 points in each of the following categories, giving a total score out of 70.

Adventure: Your map is an adventure so it has got to feel like one! In this category we will be grading your map for overall immersive feel. I want to feel like I am truly on an adventure. Many things can score you well here - over-arching themes and an epic storyline please!
    Balance: How difficult is your map? This is a challenge to get right, as your map shouldn't be too easy that they can be completed first time by the majority of players. Your map is supposed to be good enough that we would want to play it again, and be able to master it after a few tries.
    Cinematography: Since the oscars aren't happening AoMH will take the lead here. Cinematics are the cornerstone of all the greatest maps and your camera angles should complement perfect activity as well as dramatic shots that feel lively.
    Design: How well have you used the space that was given? 100x100 is a small area and I would hope to see it utilised well. If you are using lots of different areas, I don't want to see other areas or the edge of the map too much.
    Eyecandy: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. AoMH contests have been blessed with entries from the very gods of eyecandy themselves. Let's hope you can build something to make us proud.
    Features: Never has there been so much possibility in the AoM editor. With the madman nottud still at large we are expecting some never-before seen features in this contest and your map would do well to show off the numerous discoveries we have made.
    Gameplay: All about how smoothly your map runs. Lack of bugs and careful craft of the area to keep us on track.

posted 20 May 2020 08:36 AM EDT (US)     25 / 64  
    "Mods are allowed, however please try not to be excessive and give credit if they are not your own."))o nooo..
    Alternative category will be? Keep up the good work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9avIqx5LNA
    « Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoMH SD Competition 2020
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames