A viking story
by Swenne

Snowy norse village
by WinterGod

Crystal Maze
by Yeebaagooon

Star Fighter Ace
by Zenophobia
Welcome. At long last our journey comes to an end, and the AoMH SD Mini-Adventure Contest 2020 concludes. We have a total of nine glorious entries which you may download at the top of this thread. Judging was an unexpected challenge due to the quality of the entries, and marks at the top were especially tight. The council of seraphs was convened, and the results verified.
As you are aware, in addition to prizes for our top 3 entries we also have additional prizes for our best in category awards. Now the top two entries were so close that they actually hoovered up ALL of the best in category awards. Let's see who is walking away with some winnings!

Best adventure, most atmospheric, best balance = Won by Zenophobia with Star Fighter Ace
" Epic. Loved that you took the time to actually add a storyline. The mechanics speak for themselves without it but adding in a story enhances your score. " - TAG

" A new way of doing cinematics, wonderful! All the hand drawings are beautiful artwork and the music changing as you scroll through each panel really brings the whole thing to life giving you perhaps more ability to customise in AoM than anyone has ever had before. " - Yeebaagooon

" Your level design was also very good. I liked how you used a high variety of spaceship formations to challenge the player with. The levels all had a good length and had a nice challenging boss fight to end them with. " - Lewonas

Best map design, best eyecandy, best features = Won by Yeebaagooon with Crystal Maze
" Exceptional. Had a healthy amount of progression as you knew exactly where you were headed from the start, and every task was numbered until you got there. You didn't have to include different themes and a storyline with these puzzles, but you did, and it was amazing. " - TAG

" Again you absolutely nailed it. This scenario has some of the coolest shit I’ve ever seen. First off, you accomplished an incredible feat with the way you created an unique, insanely impressive and highly detailed palace through the power of triggers. Then you added some trigger magic to mimic some smooth walking animations when the units are navigating the actually impassable passageways. You added some more magic to dynamically create branching pathways literally out of thin air. " - Lewonas

Best storyline = Joint winners Yeebaagooon with Crystal Maze and Zenophobia with Star Fighter Ace
And now the full results including breakdown of points and our top ranked entries....!
Click here to reveal the final results.

As per the rules, Yeebaagooon as a judge will not take a prize for coming in first place but will collect the three best in category prize awards.
The first place prize becomes the second place cash prize and so on.

Yeebaagooon - 1st place (judge, no prize), 3.5x best category awards = £52.50
Zenophobia - 2nd place, 3.5x best category awards = £103.50
Eurotool - 3rd place = £30
Nickonhawk - 4th place = £20
Each winner will receive an email today with instructions on claiming their prize along with their score card.

And that concludes our competition! Special thanks to Lewonas for donating to the 'best of' awards, as well as his lengthy 'mini' reviews and images. Also praise be unto TAG for matching my donation to the prize pool. The three of us loved judging all your entries! It's certainly been hard work but the reward of these nine scenarios is certainly worth it. I am glad to see the community is still strong, and am ever optimistic of the new heights we will be able to reach with 2.8 trickery.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
Replies:
posted 14 August 2020 04:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
Congratulations Yeebaagooon and Zeno. As well as everybody who got their entry finished on time.

I want to play them but also feel like I should finish my ‘entry’ first.
posted 14 August 2020 04:53 AM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Awesome - I can't wait to play everyone's scenarios once I finish trimming the hedge.

Thanks for the detailed score card as well breaking everything down.

Big congratulations to the winners!

Btw I don't know about everyone else but I am happy for my score card to be made public as reviews on the download itself for others to see.

Sooo did anyone find the Easter Egg?

@Lewonas (Replying to score card)
Btw you don't need anything to get past the Guardian. There is a relatively simple way past if you think outside the box without using any items (Hint: Use the Guardian!). Sorry you felt like you were unable to progress there!

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 08-14-2020 @ 05:21 AM).]

posted 14 August 2020 05:39 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
Congratulations everyone! The maps are unique from one another and the Easter egg....hmm

|MEMORY|
posted 14 August 2020 06:16 AM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
I feel the judges didn't engage in the full hour long saga I created, nor compete for high scores like I asked. Then again my entry was a meta deconstruction of the nature of fetch quests, so that really didn't help it actually being a fun experience, so I'll happily take last place.

Also a rookie mistake on my part submitting the entry prior to the judging criteria being released. If I knew cinematics scored I'd have at least gotten more than 1 point in the field. Shame all the story dialogue I included wasn't graded as part of this section, but as it happens outside of cinematics it wasn't worth anything.

Also given the map size constraint it's really hard to avoid the black void of nothingness that escapes in all directions outside the map, but the fact I included a tree line on the north west/north east edges of the map for the sole purpose of breaking up the sudden appearance of the void, and protrude colour and existence as far out into it as I could, this was apparently worse than doing nothing in one of the judges eyes.

I'd ask that judge open the map in the editor, delete the tree line in question, stare into that black void, and consider if it is better without the trees.

That stated, congratulations to the winners, for making actually playable scenarios. I'll be sure to try them all out.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature

[This message has been edited by Out Reach (edited 08-14-2020 @ 06:17 AM).]

posted 14 August 2020 06:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
That sounds unfortunate - especially that the development was outside of a cinematic. I also shyed away from doing a cinematic as the map was based on discovery and atmosphere - if it makes you feel better I got a 1 from a judge for cinematic as they failed to reach one of the two endings in time. (And the other cheated their way there ) Though tbf a lot of that was due to the high difficulty of the map.

I am planning to do a playthrough of each scenario and post a review on the download page so maybe I will be able to give my own viewpoint on the map outside of criteria of the competition.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 08-14-2020 @ 06:48 AM).]

posted 14 August 2020 10:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
Congrats Yeebaagooon! Twas indeed a neck and neck competition. Can't wait to play everyone's entries this weekend.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
posted 14 August 2020 11:18 AM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
@WinterGod Please can you provide a link to the mod pack I need to install to play your map so I can make sure I install the correct one.
posted 14 August 2020 11:32 AM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
Outstanding work everyone, I was really blown away. Never had these kind of experiences playing any other scenarios, and here I thought those couldn't be topped. It was indeed a really close competition, and many of you should know that just because your game didn't get a prize position it does not take away from the incredible work you have done. I look forward to replaying all of these over and over again.

posted 14 August 2020 11:49 AM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
Sure, it's the Eyecandy pack on the Modpacks section. I am hoping to do more with the snow effects in the future

I am glad I got a good mark on eyecandy and design. I kind of ran of time, after decorating the map.

[This message has been edited by WinterGod (edited 08-14-2020 @ 11:53 AM).]

posted 14 August 2020 12:01 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
Congratulations to Zenophobia, Eurotool, Nickonhawk and Yeebaagooon for winning the prizes! We also used a different scoring sheet to determine the 'best of' award winners. There were many close calls with only 1 point of difference. If you're curious how close you were, you can find the sheet here. I'll be submitting my full reviews as a comment to the entries.

@nottud: Yeah I tried to do the thing with the guardian, but after I failed doing it once I used something else I had at my disposal, perhaps cheating my way past that part. At that time it felt like the only reliable way for me to get past that part. And due to the 1 hour time limit I didn't have enough time to try to do the intended approach or find the easter egg.

@Out Reach: I perhaps got a bit too carried away when I was writing the review and perhaps had a little too much fun to overexaggerate about a lot of things. It's just that your entry felt quite a bit less serious compared to the other entries and thought you would appreciate a less serious review. Ah man, I'm so sorry if I was mistaken. Did not mean to offend you. I'll refrain from posting the review in the download section of your scenario.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
posted 14 August 2020 12:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
^ You might as well have them as reviews as they're so in depth! Just get paste your text in and then determine your rating.

It was incredible for the top two entries to be only 0.5 apart! Seriously don't know what would have happened in the event of a tie. It is an absolute delight to have all the work I put into that map vindicated with the crown of first place. What a fantastic competition and a learning curve. A similar trick can be used online to make stretched/distorted/floating buildings so the steam community better prepare themselves! The EE port for my map might replace the default skies with my ones as a mod - as that's the only way I've managed to get them working.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 08-14-2020 @ 12:09 PM).]

posted 14 August 2020 12:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
I am confused - according to the spreadsheet I scored top on Atmospheric and Map design but I didn't win either of those categories?

Edit: Nvm there are more columns.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 08-14-2020 @ 12:23 PM).]

posted 14 August 2020 12:50 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
@Lewonas - I agree my entry was less serious, I put it together in less than a day as soon as the contest was announced, mostly to ensure there was at least 1 entry. Also it suffers by being rather meta on what actually constitutes an adventure, and I had no expectation of winning or placing. Please feel free to post your review.

I'm not much of an eyecandy/map design sort of person, I prefer technical challenges, so creating an infinite random story engine was the primary goal for me - Which I think I achieved.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
posted 14 August 2020 01:53 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
Note regarding my entry:

A bug has been found where you can attack and destroy the blocking Trojan gate on the last level. Until I patch please note that is not anticipated and you should find a way to open it other than destroying it.

I have played and reviewed most of the entries now - just a couple left to go now.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 08-14-2020 @ 02:48 PM).]

posted 14 August 2020 03:48 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
Wow nottud, you're a machine. You already played and reviewed a couple of scenarios before I could even post my reviews haha.

I've posted all my full reviews of the entries in the download section.

And I'm glad to hear you didn't take it personally Out Reach. You did do a good job of creating an infinite loop alright. It does somewhat remind me of the Stanley Parable. I posted the review of your entry with a little added side note.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 08-14-2020 @ 03:50 PM).]

posted 14 August 2020 06:17 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
Yea I been mass playing through them all. I just got WinterGod's one to do now but may have to wait till tomorrow. I need to figure out which eyecandy mod I need to install first...
posted 14 August 2020 06:29 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20  

It's this eyecandy mod:

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11494

I also used the Beta Relics, mod from the steam workshop, but that one is not needed.
posted 15 August 2020 07:39 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Congratulations to the winners! The entries look amazing. I wish I could play some of these but I don't own EE.
posted 15 August 2020 12:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
Congratulations to everyone who participated, as well as the judges for volunteering and Lewonas for chiming in. The retroaction comments are very detailed and complete, I can see a lot of work has been put in from everyone involved in this.

I've finished my semester just an hour ago, so now hopefully I'll get some time off to create a showcase.

Edit: spent time bug fixing my entry. Level selection and some cinematics now properly show. Also added the WASD script I originally promised -- thankfully all the judges seemed to have had access to a mouse before I could update it.

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒

[This message has been edited by Eurotool (edited 08-15-2020 @ 03:30 PM).]

posted 15 August 2020 04:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
@PhatFish but you can fix that issue right?
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoMH Mini Adventure Competition 2020: Results
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: