You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: problem creating godpowers
posted 10 February 2005 04:57 PM EDT (US)   
ok, so my problem is this. for an upcoming campaign i needed to create some sort of method for transforming the protagonist into this super-powerful demon thing called the Angel of the Apocalypse. i considered simply making a trigger to create the desired affect, but then i figured, what the hell! i might as well try my hand at actually creating a new god power that will cause the transformation. i printed out and followed xlpx's guide to making new god powers, using the son of osiris power as my base, and everything was going fine...until i saved it. xlpx says in the guide that when u save, the file should save as a .xml file. mine saved as a .txt, and despite all my efforts to somehow get it to become a .xml file, it remains .txt. does anyone know whats going on, and how it can be fixed? this is semi-urgent, as this campaign has already been way delayed and i do NOT want to have any more setbacks to this project.

many thanks in advance.

This message courtesy of your humble servant,
Dwarf.

Oh, how I wish for soothing rain
All I wish is to dream again.
-Nightwish

Replies:
posted 10 February 2005 05:13 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
Depending on what you are using to edit the file you may need to expicitly add the .xml extention. eg in the save file name field type "god power.xml".
posted 10 February 2005 05:13 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Don't forget the UTF-8 encoding.
posted 10 February 2005 05:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
@ Stephen Caines: yup, that was the problem. i had forgotten to explicitly save it as a .xml file. however, having done that, i am now confronted by another problem. although everything regarding the proper coding and formatting of the god power is in order, and the god power appears as available in the powers list, it simply will not work. again, any suggestions?

thanks much.

This message courtesy of your humble servant,
Dwarf.

Oh, how I wish for soothing rain
All I wish is to dream again.
-Nightwish

posted 10 February 2005 06:07 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
It would depend on where it fails but if we look at the steps involved your god power should look something like the following.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<power name="TheWhiteWizard" type="swapunit" techname="The White Wizard">

/ THIS LINE TELLS THE GAME WHICH UNDERLYING GP PROGRAM IS USED AND THE TECHNAME FROM YOUR TECHTREE(X) FILE THAT WILL TRIGGER THE GP. THE TECHNOLOGY MUST BE ACTIVE TO MAKE THE GP AVAILABLE.

<activetime>0.1</activetime>

/ FOR A SWAP IT JUST NEEDS TO BE > ZERO

<radius>1.0</radius>

/ THE AREA IN WHICH THE SWAP OCCURS. FOR A SINGLE UNIT SWAP 1.0 IS FINE - YOU USE LARGER RADII FOR MULTI SWAPS

<placement forceonmap="1" matchtype="Gandalf the Grey" ally="">unit</placement>

/ THIS TELLS THE GAME WHICH TYPE OF PROTOUNIT TO SWAP, IF IT ISN"T MATCHED YOU WILL GET THE CAN'T PLACE GP CURSOR WHEN TRYING TO USE THE GP.

<powerplayerrelation>player</powerplayerrelation> ;

/ THIS JUST SAYS IT IS YOU, YOU COULD USE ALLY, OR ANY IF REQUIRED

<minimapeventtime sendalertto="all">10.0</minimapeventtime>
<soundset type="StartSound" listenertype="AllExceptCaster">GodPowerStart</soundset>
<soundset type="StartSound" listenertype="IfOnScreenAll">SOOPBirth</soundset>

/ THESE JUST CONTROL YOU IS NOTIFIED, SOUNDS AND THE LIKE.

<overallchance>1.0</overallchance>

/ THIS SAYS IT IS 100% LIKELY TO WORK, ANYTHING BELOW 1 REDUCES THE PROBABILITY OF THE SWAP WORKING.

<abstracttype swapto="Gandalf the White">Gandalf the Grey</abstracttype>

/ THIS TELLS THE GAME WHAT THE NEW PROTOUNIT IS

<sfx>Osiris SFX</sfx>

/ SOUND EFFECT ON SWAP

<mutate></mutate>
<unittarget></unittarget>

/ THIS INIATES A TRANSITION ANIM - HEAVEN LIGHT FROM MEMORY

<icon>God Power The White Wizard Icon 32</icon>
<usedicon>God Power The White Wizard Icon 32 done</usedicon>

/ THESE CONTROL THE GP ICONS - YOU ONLY NEED THE FIRST ONE - THE USED ONE IS CREATED BY THE GAME AND IS JUST A DARKENED VERSION.

</power>

If these functions are all included in the GP, please post your GP script and the associated TECHTREE technology and I'll have another look.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » problem creating godpowers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames