Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Return of the Gods
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 21 December 2019 05:35 PM EDT (US)   

Hello community, I'm introducing myself and a new mod project that I'm starting.

I have always thought american civilizations could make a good adition to the AOM universe, I have found many threads in different communities asking for them, however no one has ever made a mod adding them. And I have also found a lot of people that opposes to the addition of american civilizations. I agree they don't exactly fit into the classical AOM world with all of the old world ancient cultures. But I think they really deserve a world of their own, so that is were this mod projcet starts.

Overview
The Return of the Gods is a new total conversion free mod project for Age of Mythology and its expansions. The mod will intend to create a world for the ancient american civilizations, portraying their history, ways of life, customs, beliefs, warfare and of course, mythology.

Features
The world of Return of the Gods will come to life through new civilizations, units, random maps, campaigns and gameplay features. Some of this features have been based on already existing features from AOM and AOE, and some others are completely new.

it will also include changes on the gameplay for these cultures, here are some of the main general in game features, this may change in the future:

There will be no cavalry, but certain units will replace cavalry roles, this units will be classified as runners and they will be fast moving infantry soldiers with good attack against light infantry but almost no armor making them vulnerable to heavy infantry. They will be similar to eagle warriors in AOE II or coyote runners in AOE III.

A new building will exist for American cultures, the palace, this building will allow the research of specialized techs and units. It could also serve as a kind of fortification to garrison units and throw arrows to the enemy.

Most American cultures won’t have fortresses or castles available, however siege warfare won’t be as developed either. All cultures will share the same siege units which will be siege rams and mantlets. Most civilizations will also share the same naval units, which will be fishing canoes, canoes and war canoes.

Civilizations
So far 3 new civilizations have been planmed, each one of them with major and minor Gods, mythical units and technologies, unique units and technologies and gameplay features.

•Aztecs
•Mayans
•Incas

Here is a brief description of the civilizations, again this is not definitve and may change:

Aztecs

The Aztecs will be the most warlike civilization, their strategy will be essentially rush and aggressive. This focus will be boosted through culture and major God features.

They will train military units from two main buildings: the Telpochcalli (commoners’ barracks) and the Calmecac (noble’s academy). The first one will allow to create cheap fast training units to be used during the early stages of the game. The second one will create more specialized but also expensive noble knight and priest units. In addition, each major god will grant a unique unit in the final age just as the Greek major gods, major gods will also grant different military bonuses.

The Aztecs will generate favor like the Norse by doing war; a more accurate way to gain favor would be by capturing enemy units and then sacrificing them. However, I’m not sure this kind of mechanic can exist in game, so for now we will just keep it simple by doing war but this could change in the future.

The Aztecs will have a unique hero which will be the Huey Tlatoani (great speaker), he will be the leader of the nation and will grant military and development favors similar to the Egyptian pharaoh, however, unlike the pharaoh the tlatoani wont grant economic favor. On the other hand, he will boost military aspects, such as constructing buildings, training units faster and making them cheaper while he grants favors to a specific military building. The tlatoani will also boost nearby human warriors in combat and increase the favor generation rate.

The rest of the hero roster will be completed by priests, there will be three kind of priests which can be trained, the first one will be a support like priest which can heal units but will have weak combat stats, he will be able to be trained in age I. In the next ages two warrior priest units can be trained, one of them will be hand combat attack and the other one ranged attack, this warrior priests will have better combat abilities but little support role.

Aztecs will start the game with three villagers one tlatoani and one priest which can be used for exploring.

Aztec titan design has not been decided yet.

The Aztec campaign will tell the story of their pilgrimage and their settlement in the valley of Anáhuac until they consolidated their civilization as the biggest empire of Mesoamerica.

Their main downside is the lack of good and reliable defensive buildings, they will only have one upgrade for walls and towers and will have no fortress.

Overall the Aztecs will possibly have the best attack but the poorest defense in comparison to Mayan and Inca units and buildings.

Mayans

The Mayans will mainly be an economy and technology civilization, a boom civilization, this focus will be boosted through culture and major God features.

The Mayans will have access to economic and technological features which other cultures don’t have. Their houses, resource drop sites, markets and armories are half price than those of other cultures. They will be able to build farms in the first age and markets from age II, they will also get agricultural and trading boosts. The Mayans will have access in age III to the observatory, a special building which works like AOE II universities, allowing the research of unique Mayan technologies.

Since the Mayans were an older civilization than the Aztecs and Incas and they built lots of great cities, temples and monuments, it is likely they will have wonders available from age III allowing them to achieve victory through wonder an age earlier than other cultures. However, this feature is not decided yet, it can change in the future depending in viability and balancing.

The Mayan favor gathering system has not being decided yet. Historically the Mayans practiced human sacrifices as most of Mesoamerican civilizations, however the Aztecs will have priority in using a war/captives favor system. Most likely the Mayans will get favor by constructing special buildings such as monuments or shrines, an Egyptian way.

Each major god will allow 2 unique heroes in different ages, they will be tough versions of regular units, like the Greek heroes. In order to complete their hero roster, in age III they’ll get access to the Halach Uinik which won’t be elite units, they are fairly cheap and will have a good damage against myth units just like Norse hersirs.

The Mayans unit roaster won’t be as big and specialized as that of the Aztecs or Incas, however their units will be enough to provide a good countering system. Their main focus will be in missile units; bows, blowguns, slings. They will possibly have more missile units than any other culture, and all of their military units will have individual upgrades.

The Mayans will start the game with 4 villagers and 1 oracular priest, a hero unit that will explore the map the same way as Atlantean oracles, he will also be able to carry relics and possibly have a support role like healing or boosting units.

The Mayan will have a fairly good defensive capability, with two upgrades for the walls and towers. Just as the Aztecs they won’t get any fortresses, however, they will have a special watchtower building which will have a good attack and great line of sight, basically a combination of lighthouse and fortress.

The Mayan titan will be based in Cabrakan, the god of mountains and earthquakes.

The Mayan campaign will be based in the adventures of the twin heroes Hunahpú and Ixbalanqué and their fight against the lords of Xibalbá finishing with their conversion as Gods of the sun and the moon.

In general terms, the Mayans will have the best economic and cultural development and good defense, however their military roster won’t be as big and strong as other cultures.

Incas

The Incas best strategy will possibly be turtling, since they will have the best defenses. This strategy will be boosted through culture and major God features.

The Incas will be able to fortify themselves since early game as their fortifications will be slightly cheaper and will build faster. They will have three upgrade levels for their walls and three for their towers and they are the only culture with access to fortresses. In addition, they will be able to build a unique defensive building, the Tambo, a relatively cheap and effective small fortress which can be built since age II allowing them to stablish early map control of strategic points and resources.

Inca villagers won’t drop resources in dropping sites, instead they get llamas, which follow them and act as personal resource gathering points just as the Atlantean citizens, however they won’t be as broken, they will be cheaper and will gather slower. They will also have bigger and more expensive houses than those of the Mayans or Aztecs, but they will support twice the population

Another feature to the Incas is the way they gather favor, Inca villagers will gather it by cultivating, that’s right, cultivating, they get a special kind of farm called Conopa. Conopas were farms were the best products were produced and later offered to their gods in special festivities and rituals.

The Inca unit roster will be wide, they will have melee, ranged, runner and noble units. Providing them with an excellent countering system which in addition to their good fortifications will allow to a great tactical flexibility. Inca units will also be cheap but not as strong as say those of the Aztecs, however they will be easy to mass. Incas will also have better armory upgrades than the Mayans and Aztecs allowing to increase their units attack and defense through armory upgrades.
The Incas will also have access to better naval units, they will not only have canoes but also boats with sails which will have better hp and attack values, but they will be more expensive.

The Inca hero system has not been defined yet, but they might have unique elite heroes for each age just as the Greeks.

Incas will start the game with two villagers and one (maybe two) chasquis, which are cheap fast running explorers.

The Inca campaign has not been defined yet.

Overall the Incas will have the best fortifications, so they can play turtle better than other civilizations. However, they won’t be so tight, since they will also have a good unit roaster allowing great tactical flexibility.

Development
The mod is still a project and no release version has been concluded. Currently the mod is being developed by a small team. Applications for new team members are available, preferably with modding experience, however what we value the most is commitment.

Available positions:

• Modeling
• Programming
• Texturing

Applications are available in english or spanish, they should be directed to ABI3 through message or to the email: aom.rotg@gmail.com

They can also be directed to Inferno or ABI3 at their discords: lnferno#8267, ABI3#4496

Support us in Patreon!
If you don't have any skills to join the team, no worries, you can also help building the project by becoming a Patreon. Any donation is highly appreciated and helps a lot.

The final release version will be 100% free, patreon donations will be used for creating high quality content, such as hiring artists, composers and producers for producing art, music and other roles which we might not be able to get for free.

Patreons will enjoy exclusive benefits and content such as early access to articles, early beta testing, behind the scenes in discord or even getting amazing artbooks and a mythological and historical atlas.

- Become a Patreon!
https://www.patreon.com/aomrotg

The team
Founders: ABI3, Inferno
Art: ABI3
Texturing: ABI3, Inferno
Mapping: HrdsHrdck
Modeling: Inferno, Zero_337
Programming: NateE, TAG
Researching: ABI3, Balam Ajaw, HrdsHrdck
and future teammates

Special thanks to:

• Yan Garcia for his assessment in nahuatl language.

Moddb: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-return-of-the-gods

[This message has been edited by ABI3 (edited 03-10-2020 @ 02:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 23 December 2019 08:52 AM EDT (US)     1 / 33  
posted 23 December 2019 12:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 33  
That project was canned ages ago, don't worry about it.

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 27 December 2019 01:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 33  
I knew about the existance of that project however as xlightingnstorm said it seems to be dead. And anywats, I don't really think that project would reflect the same ideas we have in the project right now.
posted 28 December 2019 01:18 PM EDT (US)     4 / 33  

I have also started a similar project. But mine is simply Age of Empires III conversions. Icons look great. I actually disagree with others that the Aztecs don't fit. Franchise was never really that realistic: In Aoe II Mongols can fight the Inca, and We already control the Atlantis in AOM. You can take any artistic liberty you can take I think.

I am thinking about replacing the Chinese. [Really wish that there was a way to add new major gods but sadly we cant]
posted 12 January 2020 01:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 33  
Aztec titan design has not been decided yet.
Cipactli?
its like the Aztec Ymir.
posted 16 January 2020 05:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 33  
Put me in for this unofficially for now, need to see how much time I can actually devote.

posted 22 January 2020 00:09 AM EDT (US)     7 / 33  
@WinterGod I would like you to send me a message to my Discord,
We could work hand in hand. Any one can send me a message.

lnferno#8267
posted 22 January 2020 11:18 AM EDT (US)     8 / 33  
I don't have a discord account. But you can reach me using this forum and reddit. My username there is ModdingAom.

[This message has been edited by WinterGod (edited 01-22-2020 @ 11:52 AM).]

posted 26 January 2020 11:21 AM EDT (US)     9 / 33  
Decodifying the Aztecs!

Hello people out there! Today we’ll be sharing with you some information and a little bit of the advances done so far by the Return of the Gods Team. That’s right we are a team now, it is not anymore, a one-person project, we are a small team but at team after all. we’ve got 2 new members who are: Yiome who is now doing most of the modeling and NateE our new Programmer.

Now what is this new entry about?

Well, as the tittle may suggest this article will be a first and more detailed approach to what the first culture of the mod will be: the Aztecs! Note that this entry will mostly talk about general culture aspects and won’t say much about Gods and mythology aspects, that will be for another time.

History
Now, when we think about the Aztecs we may immediately think of jaguar and eagle warriors, pyramids and human sacrifices, brief that military empire who settled in central Mexico and was utterly conquered by the Spanish.

Well this vision is partially true and partially fake, so this is when we start decodifying the Aztecs. There are many versions of the Aztecs origin myth, but according to the one that we will be using, Aztecs first inhabited the city of Aztlan (land of the heron), later they abandoned their city to start a large pilgrimage. The word Aztec then means habitant of the heron’s land, The Aztecs were composed of 7 different nahuatlac (nahuatl speaking) tribes, which were:

• Acolhuas
• Chalcans
• Mexicas
• Tepanecs
• Tlahuicas
• Tlaxcaltecs
• Xochimilcans

One of those names may sound familiar: the Mexicas, so the Mexicas were the biggest and most important tribe, they are the ones who built the biggest empire of Mesoamerica they were so important that the name Aztec is used as a synonym of Mexica. But as we can see the Aztecs were more than just the Mexica, as an example, the Tlaxcaltecs were Mexica’s worst enemies and were never conquered, in fact they allied the Spaniards and greatly contributed to the fall of the Mexica empire.

So, the Aztec civilization will be mainly based on the Mexica empire, however we also wanto to include features of the other Aztec tribes.

Following the myth, the 7 tribes arrived to place called Chicomoztoc meaning place of the seven caves (according to some versions Aztec tribes emerged miraculously from those caves). Around the XII century the seven tribes started to abandon Chicomoztoc and migrated to the center of Mexico where they settled. Once there, they got fusionated with previous civilizations mainly Teotihuacan and the Toltecs. From them, Aztec tribes adopted gods (such as Quetzalcoatl, Tlaloc and Tezcalipoca) they also adopted customs and ways of life like the warrior societies and social organization. The Aztec tribes started erecting great and powerful kingdoms and empires, the first tribe to arrive were the Tlahuicas who founded a kingdom with capital at the great city of Xochicalco, years later Acolhuas arrived to the valley of Mexico and founded the first Chichimec empire, it’s capital were the cities of Tenayuca and Texcoco. Acolhuas were later defeated by another tribe, the Tepanecs, headed at Azcapotzalco. The last to arrive were the Mexicas, they founded their cities Tenochtilan and Tlatelolco in the lake of Texcoco. At first they were vassals to the Tepanecs and later they defeated their previous lords to became the biggest, bloodiest and most tyrant empire of Mesoamerica.

As we can see the story of the Aztec tribes is more than just that of the Mexica, this story will be featured in the Aztec campaign: Mexicas, the empire of war; which will tell the story of the Mexica tribe, starting with their pilgrimage and their settlement in the valley of Anahuac until they consolidated their civilization as the biggest empire of Mesoamerica, the campaign will feature many of the Aztec tribes as well as their fights.

The rest of Aztec tribes will be shown for example in the names of Aztec AI players:

• Azcapotzalco ->Tepanec capital
• Chalco -> Chalcans capital
• Iztapalapa -> Mexica city
• Tenayuca -> Acolhua capital
• Tenochtitlan -> Mexica capital
• Teotihuacan -> Capital of the ancient kingdom of Teotihuacan, later settled by Aztec tribes
• Texcoco -> Acolhua capital
• Tollan -> Capital of the ancient Toltec kingdom, later settled by Aztec tribes
• Tlatelolco -> Mexica capital
• Tlacopan -> Tepanec city
• Xochimilco -> Xochimilcans capital
• Xochicalco -> Tlahuicas capital

As you may notice Tlaxcallan is not in this list of cities, that is because we have special plans for the tlaxcaltecs which will be revealed later.

Now we’ll enter to more specific details about Aztec culture

Language
Aztec culture units will speak nahuatl, getting the nahuatl voices is proving challenging since there are not a lot of nahuatl speakers in the world and also the Aztec voices from AOEII and AOEIII cannot be used since it is not nahuatl what those Aztecs speaks, it’s some sort of invented language. We have been researching a lot about nahuatl language and we have also got in contact with some nahuat teachers so we can have a proper grammar, structure and pronunciation.

Here some examples of nahuatl phrases:

• Ni-mitz-tlahpalohua (I greet you)
• Huey Tlayekanki (great leader)
• Ni-ka-toiuka / (I’m ready)
• Ni-chihuas (I will)
• Tlen ti-nech-nahuatia? (What do you Command?)

Favor
Aztecs will mainly gather favor by sacrificing captives, captives are acquired through fighting. All warriors and warrior priests have a chance of capturing enemy units while fighting. Captives are then taken and sacrificed either in altars or temples. There are two kind of captives: simple captives, taken from villagers and weak military units and high-status captives, captured from elite units, high status captives produce more favor than regular ones.

Aztecs can generate extra favors by building Tzompantli (Rack of Skulls) one becomes available at age I and another one at age IV for a total of two. The tzompantli will generate a small trickle of favor which will help but won’t be sufficient to replace the sacrifice of captives.

Heroes
Huey Tlatoani
The Huey Tlatoani (great speaker) is the leader of the nation and will grant special favor similar to the Egyptian pharaoh. Unlike the Pharaoh, the Tlatoani won’t grant economic favors, his main role will be to boost the faction’s military such as:

• Faster building construction
• Produce military units faster
• Making military units cheaper

He will also have support role:

• Boost nearby military units (such as the chinese general)
• Heal military units
• Strong against myth units
• Increase warriors’ chance of capturing prisoners

He can also transform into a Nahual (Myth Unit) by paying a cost and he can return to his Tlatoani form by paying another favor price. In Mesoamerican civilizations, there was the belief all humans are born with an animal spirit, this spirit has the task of guiding and protecting it’s person. The are some people (like god, witches or kings) which were believed a really strong connection to their nahual to such a degree that they could transform and take the form of their nahual. So the tlatoani will be able to transform into a nahual, which will be an animal bigger than regular ones and obviously stronger.

Some tlatoani names:

• Acamapichtli
• Ahuízotl
• Axayácatl
• Chimalpopoca
• Cuauhtémoc
• Cuitláhuac
• Huitzilíhuitl
• Ixtlixochitl
• Itzcóatl
• Maxtla
• Moctezuma
• Nezahualcóyotl
• Nezahualpilli
• Tenoch
• Tízoc
• Tlacaelel
• Xolotl

Here are some pics of how the tlatoani looks so far:

The ingame tlatoani icon:

Warrior Priests
To complete their hero roster Aztecs will also have three kind of warrior priests. This units are not as strong or specialized heroes as the greeks, but rather they are fairly cheap and only about as powerful as the other military units (like norse hersirs). Warrior priest can also capture prisoners while fighting.

• Priest -> Age I - support role, can heal units and build sacrifice altars, poor combat skills.
• Celestial Priest -> Age III - Dressed as a constellation, armed with an atlatl. Ranged attack hero to fight flying units, good against myth units, no support role.
• Coyote Priest -> Age IV - Dressed as a Coyote and armed with a Macahuitl and a Shield. Melee unit for countering myth units, no support role.

Here a preview for the age I priest:

The ingame priest icon:

Military Units
Aztecs lack cavalry to cover this role they will have some runner units which will be fast infantry good against archers and light infantry similar to AOE2 eagle warriors and AOE3 coyote runners.

Aztecs will train military units from two main buildings: the Telpochcalli (commoners’ barracks) and the Calmecac (noble’s academy). The first one will allow to create cheap fast training units to be used during the early stages of the game. The second one will create more specialized but also expensive noble knight and priest units.

Telpochalli
Age II

• Tlamanih Spearman -> the most basic military unit, armed with a spear and a shield to counter cavalry.
• Cuextecatl Warrior -> armed with a mace and a shield is good against infantry
• Papalotl Runner -> Armed with a cuahuitl and little armor has great speed and is good fighting archers and light infantry.

Age III

• Tequihuah -> Cheap ranged unit armed with a bow good against infantry.

Calmecac
Age III

• Jaguar Knight -> Dressed as a jaguar and armed with shield and macahuitl is a good melee unit for dealing with infantry.
• Eagle Knight -> Dressed as an eagle and armed with a big macahuitl wield with both hands is a runner unit good against light infantry and archers.
• Otomitl Knight -> Armed with an atlatl is a ranged unit for countering foot and mounted ranged units.

Gods Units
In addition to regular roster, each major god will grant a unique unit in the final age just as the Greek major gods, major gods will also grant different military bonuses.

• Tlaloc -> Lizard knigt - armed with an atlatl is food for countering ranged units.

• Tezcatlipoca -> Skull knight – armed with a tepoztopilli (halberd) is good against buildings, cavalry and runner units.

• Huitzilopochtli -> Cuachicqueh (Shorn warrior) – armed with a shield and a macahuitl is strong against infantry, deals area damage.

• Quetzalcoatl -> not yet decided, it should be a unit for countering ranged units.

Starting Conditions
Aztecs will start the game with two or three villagers one tlatoani and one priest which can be used for exploring.

Other Attributes
Military instruction at the Tepochcalli was mandatory for all of the macehualli (peasants). Therefore, macehualli can turn into tlamanih spearmen by paying a cost and pressing a button (like Norse villagers turn to ulfsarks). This way they can defend themselves from cavalry raids, but they cannot get back to peasants, so you sacrifice economic production to increase military strength.

Aztecs won’t have infantry upgrades such as medium, heavy or champion. Instead Aztec units will rank up by capturing prisoners. Each prisoner a warrior captures will increase his strength (just like hydras).

Since ancient American civilizations didn’t have coin, they will sell and purchase resources at the market by barter. They can exchange any resource for any other resource: wood – food, food – coin, coin – wood, etc.

Aztecs have access to two exclusive buildings:

• Tianguis -> Age I - small and cheap market which allows sell and purchase of resources and from age II allows the purchase of basic captives. Doesn’t replaces market and cannot create or receive caravan units.
• Chinampa -> Age I – farm which can be built on water and allows fishing canoes to garrison and fire against enemy ships and units.

Here some chinampa preview:

Here some previews for the villagers, male and female:

Villagers will hunt using an atlat:

and will carry resources using a cacaxtli:

ingame villagers icon:

Whats coming next?
We have set a goal which is to have the first age of the Aztec culture ready by 21 February so will be woriking during a month to achieve this. Our next mod update will be by then and we will be uploading a video showing a gameplay of the aztec culture during age I.

That's all for today folks!

Cheers!

- The Return of the Gods Team

[This message has been edited by ABI3 (edited 01-26-2020 @ 11:34 AM).]

posted 26 January 2020 11:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 33  
Looks amazing...

It seems that a lot effort went into this. I really loved reading the plans etc.

Human Sacrifice mechanic is possible in Age of Mythology, but it requires heavy modification, and quite a bit of stuff is hard-coded. For example, unlike wood, gold and the food, there is no favor dropsite in the code, and Favor is not available in the Nature. I modified the Deer code to give favor instead of food, and then modified the Villagers proto to add Favor carry capacity. Finally added the Atlantean Villager's directly add resource to player flag to my villagers. [Without that my poor villagers just walked around with their favor baskets ]

I am not sure if there is any code to summon the captives in battle.[Hades shade code for example is hard-coded, and there are more hard-coded stuff like that] I am personally thinking about Odin's Ravens style persistent code.

God-Powers are super hard to create, I am pulling my hairs out. So I am not going to create SPC Heroes.
It's so interesting to see two Aztec civs by different modders being developed around the same time.
posted 04 February 2020 05:30 AM EDT (US)     11 / 33  
Looking really good so far!

I recall working on many unseen features and getting human sacrifice working in the natives mod. This was done through jumping many hoops but it somewhat worked. I spawned plenty vault like units on death that could be converted I think. However, now I know several better ways to do it but no time to spent on that haha (Just spawn their dead bodies as a death replacement which can be picked up like relics and carried to the temple)

The AoM engine has many things that are hardcoded which often means the death of an idea but a lot of these things can be worked around. Feel free to ask on the forums if you run into something and we might know a way around it.

Anyways, good luck with the project!

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
posted 04 February 2020 03:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 33  
What about hersiers summoning myth units?
posted 07 February 2020 02:37 AM EDT (US)     13 / 33  
@nottud I am Not sure what is the question

We have not decided which units can be captured.

we think of a neutral unit (like the shades of hades) called xoloitzcuintle. bonus against mythical units and human units.

There will be the possibility of exchanging resources for captives in a market, in the form of barter or tribute.

to compensate for the difficulty of sacrifices for both the enemy player and the current player.

the distance traveled from the captive to temple or altar will increase the favor, how the caravans mechanics.

This mechanic applies to captives purchased and those obtained in battle, the difference is that those obtained in the market will significantly increase the value for each purchase and those obtained in battle are free.

Would you like to recommend something?
posted 09 February 2020 01:35 PM EDT (US)     14 / 33  
I think Nottud was asking whether it was hardcoded. It technically is hardcoded but it is just a flag that gets enabled that does the trick. Was working on exposing it further with the RE mod but dropped that project as well

posted 09 February 2020 08:18 PM EDT (US)     15 / 33  
@wariormario Will you continue working with the RE project, if we get a good programmer, could you share the open surse with us?
You can also be informed of what we do with it.
posted 11 February 2020 05:25 AM EDT (US)     16 / 33  
I won't be continuing it any time soon but I can share the code with people. It's not the nicest code since I was just figuring out assembly myself.

posted 23 February 2020 10:53 AM EDT (US)     17 / 33  
Aztec First Age in Sight!

Hello Folks! Today is time for a new return of the gods update, in our last Decodifying the Aztec post we had mentioned that our next update would be in January 21, with a video of the full working Aztec 1st age. Well the timeframe was two days ago and we were not ready to present the video as promised, so we will have to extend the date of the video release. However, that doesn’t mean that we have just remained idle during this time, we have done a lot of progress which we are now excited to share with all of you.

Last post we described in general terms how the Aztec culture will be, now in this new update we will start describing some of those features that will be present in the Aztec archaic age. All of these features will be shown once the gameplay video is released.

Language
Previously we mentioned that the Aztecs will speak Nahuatl, and how challenging getting their lines is. Well now we got in contact with a Nahuatl teacher! He has helped us to correct the dialogues and also with correct pronunciation. Now we are working on recording the Aztecs voices. Here are some examples of the final Nahuatl dialogues:

Nimitztlahpaloa (I greet you)
• Ye iuhqui (Ready)
• Quemacatzin (Yes)
• Nikchihuas (I will)
• Elimiquini (Farmer)
• Tetzotzonqui (Miner)
• Nicyaotia (I attack)

Major God
Even though this is not a mythological entry, we will start describing a little bit of the mythological aspect of the culture through the first major god.

Hutzilopochtli

The first Aztec God to appear will be Huitzilopochtli, his name means left-handed hummingbird. He was the main Mexica God since he was God of war and zenith sun. He was associated with strength and war. He commanded the Mexica to daily feed him with the hearts of defeated enemies, allowing the sun to continue its cycle, therefore Mexica made plenty of enemies and went to many wars. This way life was always assured.

Huitzilopochtli will be an aggressive focused God, no peace just war, he will have different military boosts which will emphasize this strategy. So whenever you see in the loading screen: AIplayer(Huitzilopochtli) you know it will be like fighting Medieval II Sicily.

Bonuses:
• Military buildings spawn units when built.
• Human military units 15% more hit points.
• Temples and altars 10% cheaper.
• Military technologies and upgrades 15% cheaper.
• God Power:

God Power:
Warriors Blessing: Huitzilopochtli blesses a group of warriors upgrading their ranks, grants more in following ages.

Technology:
Flowery wars: Huitzilopochtli increases warriors capture rate allowing them to get more war prisoners.

Exclusive Unit:
Cuachicque (Shorn warrior): Warrior armed with macuahuitl and a shield, deals area damage. Good against infantry and bonus against other cultures units.

Wonder:
Huey Teocalli (Tenochtitlan major temple)

Buildings

Town Center

The design, model and textures of the town center is ready, there will be basically two kind of buildings in the first age; those build of stone and those built of sun-dried brick. The main town center building will be brick, secondary buildings will be sun-dried brick.

The Aztec town center with the Huitzilopochtli major God statue:

Temple

The temple structure has been based on actual Aztec temple ruins, so it will be different from other mesoamerican cultures. The main structure will be stone built just as the TC main structure and it will get bigger as the player advances in age. War prisoners will be taken to the temple and then sacrificed for gaining favor, therefore, the stairs and the sacrifice stone will be covered in blood (omg!).

Tzompantli

Aztecs will mainly generate favor through sacrificing war captives, however war wont start until the second age. So to allow the Aztec start generating favor since the first age, they will be able to build an exclusive building: the Tzompantli (Skulls Altar). This buildings were constructed out of sacrificed captives heads for honoring the gods and as a display of strenght, since a bigger tzompantli means more captives were obtained thus they were great warriors.

This building will generate a trickle of favor, similar to egyptian monuments, however it wont generate enough favor to replace the sacrificing system. One Tzompantli will be availabe at age I and another one at age IV for a total of two.

Tzompantli altar will grow in size in following ages:

Economic buildings

Besides the Town Center, Aztecs will follow a Greek model having only two buildings for depositing resources: the storehouse (wood and gold) and the granary (food). The models and textures are all done:

The Aztec houses models have been finished, they will be textured as the resource deposit buildings with sun-dried bricks and straw roofs.

Here is the houses models comparison, from left to right: Norse, Egyptian, Aztec.

The Aztec dock lightt house will be a stone tower with a bonfire in the top, similar to the norse one. The dock will follow the same patern of age I buildings.

Here is the comparison between the Aztec dock model and the Norse one:

the dock will allow the construction of fishing canoes, and the canoes will be able to store gathered food in the dock.

Aztec fishing canoe model compared to the egyptian fishing ship:

What's next?
That's all for today's update, our next update will be a video gameplay featuring the first age, we are close to complete it, however we wont give an estimated date because we dont want to dissapoint anyone. So just stay tuned until our next update.

Cheers

~The Return of the Gods Team

[This message has been edited by ABI3 (edited 02-23-2020 @ 10:58 AM).]

posted 24 February 2020 03:10 AM EDT (US)     18 / 33  
So far, very impressive work, it's hard to find well-done models, art design, and textures in projects.

So far the only issues I'm having is that the god statues look a little out of place for AoM (mostly in textures, but the models may also be high poly, especially the base, since AoM uses basic squares for statue bases), and the use of (what appears) to be real world images for textures (I forgot the term for it) which could cause a potential art-design collision, specially with nearby buildings of other cultures, due to AoM's 'stylized realism' Mostly in colour palette however.

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 25 February 2020 00:25 AM EDT (US)     19 / 33  
I am sure the statue can be improved. The base has 8 additional polygons compared to greek base. The huitzilopochtli statue has less polygons than fu xi and isis statues.
Anyway, i agree that the statue can be improve.

I will share here an update of the town center and the terrain type so you can preview and share your opinion.

posted 25 February 2020 06:02 PM EDT (US)     20 / 33  
Really like design and the idea.

Huitzilopotchli icon looks great too. Stylistically it looks very similar to the original Aom buildings, It will fit in perfectly with all the other buildings.
posted 25 February 2020 08:27 PM EDT (US)     21 / 33  
@WinterGod when you have time, mail us.
posted 05 March 2020 09:07 PM EDT (US)     22 / 33  
damn, looks nice, it's been a while since someone was this committed to a mod project. Keep it up!

>> www.EmjeR.com <<

Mods - EmjeR's eyecandy pack :: Improved Greeks look :: Ghengis Khan - Mods
Programs - BCTool Attachpoint Editor :: BCTool :: Words - Programs
Games - 0 AD :: Stronhold 2 :: BfME 2 - Games
!! Proud member of WildFire Games !!
posted 06 March 2020 03:21 PM EDT (US)     23 / 33  
My e-mail is in the other topic. You send me an email detailing the problems you are facing.
posted 07 April 2020 09:43 AM EDT (US)     24 / 33  
this looks way more like an official dlc than ToTD
posted 12 May 2020 02:09 PM EDT (US)     25 / 33  
are you adding anymore civilizations? besides these 3?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » The Return of the Gods
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames