You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Folstag ate the Extended Edition and hurled Titan Difficulty into the river: A "Let's Play"
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 03 February 2017 11:25 PM EDT (US)   

Hello, everyone. I've begun a video series of Age of Mythology's campaigns which I think some of you will enjoy. But first...

A Word About Me:

Grandiloquent.

A Few More Words About Me:

Although I'm completely new to this forum (pleased to meet all of you, by the way), I've been playing and loving Age of Mythology since it came out. It was the first RTS I ever played and got me into the genre for life.

All these years later, it remains my second-favorite RTS after Warcraft 3.

I was delighted to suddenly find out a month ago that it had a new expansion, and I decided to play through all the campaigns on Titan difficulty again.

I've been making Let's Plays (Some quite acclaimed on the SomethingAwful forums) of strategy games for about two years, but all of the screenshot variety. Serendipitously, I'd been thinking about trying my hand at making a video Let's Play for the first time just when I heard about the Extended Edition.

Since I had no experience making or editing videos at all, the first few were very rough, but I started with the little-known tutorial campaign for that very reason. My more recent videos are good enough that I think they're ready for folks outside my established fanbase.

About This Let's Play:

As in all of my Let's Plays, the focus of this one will be going through the campaign on the highest difficulty. I'll often throw in extra challenges too- sometimes speedruns, sometimes zero-casualty runs, sometimes other things that sound fun for that particular mission. However, one restriction I'm going to stick by is that I must complete all mission objectives in order. This nixes a lot of the quickest speedrun possibilities as well as several exploits on buggy campaign missions which can be trivialized otherwise.

My videos are intended for people who've never played the game as well as lifelong fans, so I'll explain a lot of basics everyone here already knows.

For that matter, I'm sure I'm nowhere near as good as most of you.

However, I'll be going quite deep into the game's more hidden mechanics over time and I've done a lot of empirical testing of them with interesting results, so some of you might still learn an interesting thing or two.

Besides strategy and how the game works, I'll examine the way the story and characters are presented- as well as talk about the game's relation to real-world history and mythology.

Between all that and my beautiful voice, I hope there's something here for everyone.

Table of Contents:

Tutorial Mission 1: Hunt for a Killer
Tutorial Mission 2: Pleasing the Gods
Tutorial Mission 3: Uninvited Guests

Fall of the Trident Prologue & Mission 1: Troubled Sleep & Omens
Fall of the Trident Mission 2: Consequences
Fall of the Trident Mission 3: Scratching the Surface
Fall of the Trident Mission 4: A Fine Plan
Fall of the Trident Mission 5: Just Enough Rope
Fall of the Trident Mission 6: I Hope This Works
Fall of the Trident Mission 7: More Bandits
Fall of the Trident Mission 8: Bad News
Fall of the Trident Mission 9: Revelations
Fall of the Trident Mission 10: Strangers
Fall of the Trident Mission 11: The Lost Relic (and Egyptian tutorial)
Fall of the Trident Mission 12: Light Sleeper
Fall of the Trident Mission 13: Tug of War
Fall of the Trident Mission 14: "Isis, Hear My Plea"
Fall of the Trident Mission 15: Let's Go
Fall of the Trident Mission 16: Good Advice
Fall of the Trident Mission 17: The Jackal's Stronghold
Fall of the Trident Mission 18: A Long Way From Home
Fall of the Trident Mission 19: Watch That First Step
Fall of the Trident Mission 20: Where They Belong
Fall of the Trident Mission 21: Old Friends
Fall of the Trident Mission 22: North
Fall of the Trident Mission 23: The Dwarven Forge
Fall of the Trident Mission 24: Not From Around here
Fall of the Trident Mission 25: Welcoming Committee
Fall of the Trident Mission 26: Union
Fall of the Trident Mission 27: The Well of Urd
Fall of the Trident Mission 28: Beneath the Surface
Fall of the Trident Mission 29: Unlikely Heroes
Fall of the Trident Mission 30: All is Not Lost
Fall of the Trident Mission 31: Welcome Back
Fall of the Trident Mission 32: A Place in My Dreams

Scenario 1: Close to Home

The Golden Gift Mission 1: Brokk's Journey
The Golden Gift Mission 2: Eitri's Journey
The Golden Gift Mission 3: Fight at the Forge
The Golden Gift Mission 4: Loki's Temples

[This message has been edited by Melth (edited 12-25-2018 @ 09:52 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04 February 2017 05:21 PM EDT (US)     1 / 82  
Nice to see people doing Let's Plays of this, at least it tries to keep AoM alive.

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 14 February 2017 02:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 82  
It's a special game, much like WC3. No other RTS since has done what either of those two did, and I don't think they'll ever die until one does.

Oh and the next video is done and I'm hoping to return to a weekly update schedule, Zeus willing.
posted 16 February 2017 00:32 AM EDT (US)     3 / 82  
This is really quite neat, your narration is quality!

Subbed

[This message has been edited by That AoM Guy (edited 02-16-2017 @ 01:06 AM).]

posted 17 February 2017 05:02 PM EDT (US)     4 / 82  
This is great! Keep it up
posted 19 February 2017 10:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 82  
Naaaice! I'd wish you'd be scheming for me, Melth. xP
posted 22 February 2017 06:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 82  
Your lets play style is really nice - very informative and not obnoxious (which seems to be the trend with these types of videos...).

Very relaxing to watch.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 24 February 2017 10:59 AM EDT (US)     7 / 82  
I'm checking waaaay to often for new episodes o.x
posted 24 February 2017 09:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 82  
Thanks guys! The next episode should be up by Monday. I just completed a pretty good run of the mission, but I think I can do a better one. The main challenge is managing 2 bases and 2 armies in four spots smoothly. I'm clearly out of practice from my WC3 days since that kind of thing used to be easy.
Very relaxing to watch.
You know, one of the biggest reasons I started this project after years of thinking I'd never make a video LP was that my last girlfriend said I had a relaxing voice. She'd doze off half the time when I read to her. Until then, I'd never liked how I sounded.
posted 25 February 2017 02:48 AM EDT (US)     9 / 82  
my last girlfriend said I had a relaxing voice.
She's right!
posted 25 February 2017 10:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 82  
@Melth: Please post this topic on http://www.rts-sanctuary.com/Age-Of-Mythology/showforum=11 or I'll have to :P
posted 26 February 2017 05:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 82  
Yea, It's actually a good idea to forward this channel worldwide!
posted 27 February 2017 11:07 AM EDT (US)     12 / 82  
@Melth: Please post this topic on http://www.rts-sanctuary.com/Age-Of-Mythology/showforum=11 or I'll have to :P
Thanks for the tip! I've been trying to put this on other Let's Play and RTS sites but I don't know all that many of those yet.

Anyway, the next video is up as planned.
posted 06 March 2017 12:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 82  
Just redid the first tutorial mission. Now it doesn't have that annoying watermark and should sound better too.

I'd been concerned that people taking a first look at my series might see how bad the very first video was and stop watching.
posted 06 March 2017 02:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 82  
sounds reasonable
posted 13 March 2017 10:06 PM EDT (US)     15 / 82  
The ninth mission is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDtnKbeJIhU
posted 14 March 2017 10:40 AM EDT (US)     16 / 82  
Do you ever intend to play some multiplayer age of mythology?

Hi
posted 15 March 2017 05:40 AM EDT (US)     17 / 82  
And/or cast (your) multiplayer games.. xP

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb
posted 17 March 2017 03:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 82  
Hm, I don't think so. I used to play fairly high level multiplayer WC3, but that required a massive time commitment which I really can't do these days. The number of hundreds of games I had to play to become really good and the amount of time reading up on changes in the current metagame and watching pro level replays to stay good is just not something I want to go through for this game. Plus as much as I love AoM, I still like WC3 more and I'd go with that one if I wanted to get into a multiplayer RTS again.
posted 27 March 2017 09:11 PM EDT (US)     19 / 82  
Next mission is finished!
posted 10 April 2017 12:32 PM EDT (US)     20 / 82  
The Egyptian campaign is officially underway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRr18tZeJZk
posted 10 April 2017 12:57 PM EDT (US)     21 / 82  
Nice and one with more to do than running through xd

There is a little error on the explanation about the siege tower though, they do not only have a close ranged attack against buildings, but can also shoot arrows against units. Since they got 95% against ranged units "Siege & Priest" became a somewhat popular unit combo in multiplayer (esp. against Atlanteans I guess.. until countered by Destroyers).

Another interesting note might be the "AccuracyReductionFactor", which increases accuracy with every shot on a single target. After the initial shot has the most chance to fail, every other accumulative shot on the same target gets an increased chance of hitting. You might see that most in hunting elephants: Some of the first shots might miss, while after a while everyone hits. This is why after a while even the catapults got their hits.

Another note on this is that Priests became famous for their great accuracy, while Hippolyta became famous for her lack on that.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 04-10-2017 @ 01:00 PM).]

posted 24 April 2017 03:14 PM EDT (US)     22 / 82  
posted 24 April 2017 04:45 PM EDT (US)     23 / 82  
ah, the old right-click to enter amanra level

any archers have always been able to enter amanra, but this seems to be the level where people discover it

[This message has been edited by That AoM Guy (edited 04-24-2017 @ 04:59 PM).]

posted 27 April 2017 08:24 PM EDT (US)     24 / 82  
Any idea why that's possible? And why it's only archers?
posted 27 April 2017 09:05 PM EDT (US)     25 / 82  
Just a line of code in the protox that wasn't supposed to be there. I've tried to come up with theories why they would make this mistake but got nothin.

Or maybe it was intentional...... easter egg?

[This message has been edited by That AoM Guy (edited 04-27-2017 @ 09:05 PM).]

posted 28 April 2017 01:32 AM EDT (US)     26 / 82  
sexy

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 08 May 2017 10:59 PM EDT (US)     27 / 82  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSin_I5iEU

Just barely managed to do the next update on time!
posted 12 May 2017 06:52 PM EDT (US)     28 / 82  
me_irl when waiting for Melth to release a new episode:

posted 12 May 2017 09:16 PM EDT (US)     29 / 82  
Mean

posted 12 May 2017 10:45 PM EDT (US)     30 / 82  
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Folstag ate the Extended Edition and hurled Titan Difficulty into the river: A "Let's Play"
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames