New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Armageddon

Author File Description
Venlesh
(id: The Elva_Rokk)
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
The title, Armageddon originates from a friend of mine, but this a three minute cinematic of chaos unfolding, a sky darkening, men clashing, the sky falling. This surely is the end of the world...
An Elva_Rokk Production, enjoy!
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
youbar Mumble mumble...glitchy fighting...mumble mumble.
Anyway, I can't be bothered to do a review. Let's just say the texture didn't work, the music failed to work too.......
No offense but I can't really watch soldiers get into formation, walk to a tree and then attack something. This is just one of the few glitches that happened.
The barbarians, please tell me why they decided to attack the greeks? Why can I see so much grass a in the background. You terrain mixed the main view, but when I had a view of the mountains, I could see GrassA behind them and infront of them.
I suppose with this I could give you a review, but...you know, if I gave this a low rating nobody would watch this.
Venlesh
File Author
Well, thanks for commenting atleast.
Now your question of the norse vs the greeks? That wasn't supposed to be earthly related, it's just fictional, I really was just looking at the soldiers not really the culture...
This is my first, uhh, cinematic movie thingy, so my glitched I'm still working out and stuff, I just thought I'd upload it anyways. Thanks for commenting though, I'll get on this all(The music though is what was my base for this all btw).
rakovsky I fixed the sound problem with the scenario today and submitted the fixed file as "Armageddon, Version 2".

NOTE TO PLAYERS: THIS SCENARIO IS FOR THE LOME MOD.

[Edited on 02/22/21 @ 12:16 AM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 3
The Music file did not play and the texture file did not make the sky turn orange as the instructions said that they would. I fixed the music problem and resubmitted the file as a separate scenario called "Armageddon, Version 2." Without the orange sky, the sky was black, but that was still OK for the setting.

Balance: 5
The balance was good in that it depicted armies of comparable size fighting, like a pack of Norse soldiers vs a pack of Greeks, or a pack of Norse soldiers vs. a Greek hero.

Creativity: 4
The Creativity was good with a mix of music, volcanoes or mountains with white smoke on top), battles, a hero jumping from a mountain, and birds and trees. Although the orange sky texture didn't work, the ground seemed rather purple-red-orange colored, which fit with the intended apocalyptic orange-sky theme.

However, the armies could use more diversity. The Norse army basically looked like packs of ulfsarks with capes, rather than having a range of units like more classic viking-type units.

Map Design: 4
The Map Design was good in that it had a lot of neat things like armies and mountains. But it also had a weakness because the designer did not set the music trigger in a way that would make it play, as another commentor noted here. Apparently the problem has to do with using the "music filename" trigger because he chose the wrong filename for the music in the Editor. After I fixed the name in the editor, the sound played.

When I watched it using the LOME Mod playing it on HARD, I noticed meteors falling during one of the battles, which was neat.

Story/Instructions: 3
The story sounded neat and got me interested in the first place, combining battles with natural disasters. But really it could have used more story, and the instructions could have been improved to explain how to get the files to work, if possible.

The directions say: "Put the sound file Halo(Orchestral_Halo_Theme) in the Sound the Lta Folder." First of all, that sentence does not make sense grammatically. Second, there is no LTA folder in my Sound folder, so it must not come with the game, at least my edition. Maybe earlier versions of AOM did have Lta folders, but I don't know if that's the case. Of course you can create an LTA folder to put the sound file in, but even then the trigger that came with the scenario would not make it work.

The opening scene was basically a scene where a hero in Greek armor jumps from a mountain and then you see a battle between Greek soldiers and Norse ones with capes, and the Norse ones win and then you see the Greek hero again, and then you see mountains with white smoke on top, which could be volcanoes. It's not really clear what exactly is happening in the video.

Additional Comments:

The Norse units were ulfsarks and they looked small and reminded me of squirrels and dwarves due to their furry headgear, pointy ears and fur-colored brown capes.

[Edited on 02/21/21 @ 10:26 PM]

Venlesh
File Author
Woah, bruh. I forgot this thing existed. This was just child-me messing with cinematics. haha, it's actually a little silly how little I knew about working the game so long ago. :))))))
rakovsky It is nice that you have learned things since then on designing.

It would be nice if I could get the orange sky to work.

I did find an LTA folder at My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\sound\Lta
However, I think that when you make the scenario, the scenario's trigger path does not direct to that "My Games" directory path, but rather uses the one in Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\sound.
Personally I find it a bit confusing that there are two Age of Mythology directories on the computer. The same kind of thing happens with AOE1, where scenarios that you make are saved in a different "scenario" folder than the one directly inside your standard AOE1 folder.
rakovsky I tried to figure out how to get the Orange sky to work. The Scenario's Trigger #329 has an effect called "Render Sky", which tells the game to use "SkyOrange". This command seems to mean that the Player's data folder's skies.xml file (in it packed into the data2.bar file there) should be modded to have a line saying "Sky Orange" just like it has four other lines for four other "Sky_____" types.

It also seems to mean that the Player's texture folder should have some kind of "SkyOrange" data, like a file called "SkyOrange.ddt", which could be packed into a .bar texture file. I used Bar Explorer to check the Designer's "AOME_LTA_Textures_Patch.bar" file and although it includes about 11 .ddt files, none of them are called "SkyOrange." So the source of the missing Orange sky texture problem seems to be that there is no SKyOrange data file included by the Designer.

As a result, even when I modded my skies.xml file and pasted the "AOME_LTA_Textures_Patch.bar" file into my Textures folder, the Sky still did not turn Orange.
rakovsky I fixed the Sound file problem with this scenario and posted the fixed version as "Version 2":
https://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11522

Unfortunately, the Sky Texture still doesn't go to Orange, but it doesn't look bad as black IMO.
Venlesh
File Author
Just open it in LOME. That's what the map was generally made with.
rakovsky Elva_Rokk,
In the Scenario Editor, I noticed that the music path\filename in Trigger_328 is: lta\Halo_Music_(Orchestral_Halo_Theme).mp3

However, the music filename included with the scenario's downloaded zip file is:
Halo(Orchestral_Halo_Theme).mp3

This simple reason - the difference in file title names - is why the sound file doesn't play in your version even when players put the sound file in their

Program Files (x 86) \Age of Mythology\Sound\lta folder.

The simplest solution is for you as the Scenario Designer to put the sound file "Halo(Orchestral_Halo_Theme).mp3" into the "Age of Mythology\Sound" folder (not the LTA folder), Open the Editor, and edit the scenario to set Trigger_328 to go to the file named "Halo(Orchestral_Halo_Theme).mp3"

Be careful when setting the trigger in the Editor that you Browse "up" the directories so that you don't use the LTA directory.

Then go and Update the Scenario description so that you don't tell the Player to use the LTA directory. The reason is that there are a bunch of potential problems with using the LTA directory that make it confusing for players. One reason is that when I installed AOM:TT on my computer, the game did NOT create an LTA folder inside my AOM Sound folder.

In my "Version 2" of your scenario, I fixed these sound file issues.
(https://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11522)
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0