New Files

Single Player Scenarios » The Yellow Turban Rebellion

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Yellow Turban Rebellion

Author File Description
Hagrit
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
Zhang Jiao has caused a massive rebellion to fight against the Han dynasty.
many peasants have followed him into battle!
It is up to you to control the army and defeat the enemy leader Zhang Jiao to quell the rebellion!

Conditions: Your leader "He Jin" Dies or the seven Special officers Die.

This map contains Lu Bu, he is not in the story, but he is the Dynasty Warriors most recognizable and most powerful warrior.

Difficulty matters, but nothing too fancy there.
There is also a hidden Cheat code, so it would be lame if you went into the editor and checked the triggers.

This is my first full map and upload.
I have finished this map and i decided to upload it, i am not going to fix anymore things.
I have added Objectives and messages to guide you through the map.

this map might lagg when moving many units at the same time.

Feel Free to judge, but i will probably never look into this again.

Put the Map file in: C:/users/*your user*/ My Documents/My games/Age of mythology/Scenario

***THE SOUND FILE HAS BEEN REMOVED FOR POSSIBLE COPYRIGHT VIOLATION***
Put the sound file in:c:/Program files (86)/Microsoft Games/Age of mythology/Sound

Maker: Hagrit
Playtester: Foxwuvv

Enjoy!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Elrich
Staff
To allow the scenario, I have removed the soundfile for possible copyright violation.
Elrich
rakovsky In the Editor, the Sound File is titled "Dynasty Warriors 6 OST Ignition Extended.mp3"
The first letters of each word are capitalized.

There is a Youtube song by that exact same name, but without the .mp3 ending. You can find it with a search on Youtube. You can convert the Youtube song into MP3 format by going to this free online Sound converter website:
https://ytmp3.cc/youtube-to-mp3/

I did that and got a MP3 file out of it that I downloaded. Then I put the MP3 file in my AOM Sound Folder like the Scenario's instructions say.

[Edited on 06/03/21 @ 02:54 PM]

rakovsky Thanks to Hagrit for making the mission and to Elrich for approving it.

[Edited on 06/03/21 @ 05:13 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 5

You need to bring Lu Bu with your troops as they fight or else when he switches to Grey's control, he just stands where he is instead of going to fight the enemy. But it's not a big deal. It should just be mentioned in the Hints.

The Balance also felt like a potential problem as I'll explain below, but not a big deal either because you might just be able to beat it on HARD with better tactics.

----------------------------------------------

Balance: 5

The Balance felt like a potential problem, but not really the Designer's fault, and rather just an inherent difficulty in making Fixed Force maps. I lost on HARD while fighting the main boss with my fixed force of units, whereas it felt like an over-easy "walk in the park" in MODERATE. I lost on HARD after almost all my troops died, and the main thing that I think that I could do differently is keep Lu Bu together with the troops because I had been keeping him protected in the back of the map and then when he switched to the Grey Player's control, he just kept sitting there. Another thing that I might have done is keep my Cao Cao hero front and center of my fighting and then wait a long time for my him to recharge when his health is low because he's the only unit I have that recharges his health. I might also have attacked both altars from both paths (the right path and the left path instead of taking the north one and circling on the north back side) because when you attack through some of the gates, apparently the scenario spawns spearman troops for you. And I might have tried destroying the mirror tower first before focusing on fighting the main boss.

On MODERATE, my forces fought well enough that they could go on both the east and west side of the main mirror tower area and take out both altars about the same time, and then fight the main boss. Compared to playing on HARD, it felt like my troops sliced through the enemies like a knife through butter.

Fixed Force maps I think are hard to get a perfect balance for, because whatever forces the Designer sets down into his Editor almost demand the game's outcome. There is not as much variation that the Player affects like when the Player has to build a base or an army. Still, since there are a lot of players better than me and I beat it on MODERATE and might have been able to beat it on HARD, I am not ready to take 1 point out of 5 for it.

-----------------------------------------

Creativity: 4

What I liked was that the map used the famous heroes and was kind of labyrinth like and had variation in units and some neat things like the altars and the mirror tower. The map reminded me of a giant cave because there were cliffs surrounding much of the map and there were no trees.

Still, I think that the map could use more creativity. For one, it could use more decoration. If the Designer intended it to be cavelike, he could probably have used more rocks or used dirt or a desert area for graphics. My guess is that the Designer actually meant for it to look outdoorsy, so he could have added trees or farms or fences or wood piles. Also, the overall layout of the troops looked rather simplistic, like blocks of troops in a giant grid pattern.

---------------------------------------

Map Design: 4

I saw that the Editor calls for the Sound File "Dynasty Warriors 6 OST Ignition Extended.mp3" and I installed the 14 minute 20 second song, which I found on Youtube and converted into MP3 format, into my AOM Sound folder.

When I played on HARD, I noticed that the song only seemed to play about once every 20 minutes and last for about 11 minutes. So for example it started playing at the start of the mission, then ended at about 11 minutes in, and then there was no music until about 21 minutes in, at which point the 11 minute song started up again.

I don't remember the song being silent for so long when I played on MODERATE. Maybe there is a trigger that makes the song play and is turned on by heavy fighting instead of being timed to loop. This would be a Design issue.

When I got to the level/stage where there is an altar on either side of the central mirror tower area, a message says that you need to destroy both altars because the mirror area is too hard. I took this to mean that when you destroy both altars, the mirror tower loses its power. But that did not happen.

On the left northern side of the map, there is a path going to the northwest, but when I tried to send my troops that way, they wouldn't go far on it, as if there was an invisible wall blocking their way. Apparently it's just for decoration.

it would have been better if your initial ally's color was different than your own (you get the purple color) so that you could tell them apart. When the mission started I thought it was glitched because I couldn't move the purple units controlled by my ally.

-----------------------------

Story/Instructions: 3

Based on the instructions, you apparently lose if one your 3 heroes, the three oath brothers, dies. That could be a little clearer because it's written in the form of an "If Then" statement wherein the "If" part refers to one of the brothers dying and the "then" part is left just with "....". But it is not a big problem because I think that it's what it means. I think that probably one of them was killed when I was defeated on HARD, because I did not have many units left at that point.

On HARD, I sent my troops first to the left altar. The quickest way to the next altar after destroying that left altar is to go around back, ie. on the north side of the mirror tower area. When I went that way, I tried to go through the gate on the north side of the right altar, but that gate was extremely strong. It probably took my soldiers like 10-20 minutes to bash it down. I am guessing that there is a trigger so that if you go to the right altar from the east/right side, then the gates become triggered to be easier to knock down. The problem with fighting your way to the right altar from the east side and fighting to the left altar from the left altar from the left side is that it means that you would be either dividing your forces, which makes them weaker, or else you would be attacking one altar and then the other one through the enemies blocking the south side of both altars, and there are alot of enemies there.

So the Designer apparently intends for you to attack both the right and the left altar from both directions at about the same time instead of destroying one and then circling along the north back way. And he's apparently set it so that the gates are only easily knocked down if you attack the right altar from the right path and the left altar from the left path. But the Instructions and messages don't explain that, although I could have missed something in the Hints.

The Hints should say to keep Lu Bu with your main force as your attack instead of keeping him protected because when he switches to Grey's control, he just stands still if there are no enemies near him. I had been keeping him separate when I played on HARD because I wanted to keep him as a kind of last resort or final battle unit.

The Story is probably one of the biggest things missing in the game. Some players know the 3 Kingdoms and Yellow Turbans story, but many other players don't. The scenario emphasizes heroes from that series, but it doesn't explain who they were or the background for the revolt. It doesn't explain what the revolt is about or why it happened or who led it or who fought against it. I admit that it's a little hard to do this in AOM because it doesn't give you a big Instruction screen like in AOE1 and AOE2 where you can write out a story section. But AOM does give you small sections in the Instructions and you can introduce your characters with chat messages, or probably easiest of all is that you can include a background description with your file's Heaven Games AOM Database webpage and in your game's README file.

One improvement in the Hints and instructions would be suggesting that you don't need to attack all the Yellow enemy units on the map to win, because there are a bunch that will stand around in corners of the map if you leave them alone.

---------------------------

Additional Comments:
Overall it's a good scenario. I would recommend playing it on HARD first. Then if people lose on hard, they can retry it using my Hints here.
rakovsky Over on the other page for this scenario ("Across Roman Borders"), the Designer wrote:
GODS:
Player 1, 2 and 3 Must be NORSE Gods.
Player 4, 5 and 6 Must be GREEK Gods.
Player 7 the computer must be a Norse God.

I take it that this means that it doesn't matter which specific gods you pick out of each of those civilizations' gods.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0