Screenshot:
Version: AoM: The Titans
Mission Name: Battle in Germania
Mission Designer: Rakovsky
Scenario Version: 2.0
Date: 1/15/21
Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
Game Version: AOM:The Titans
(The AOM:EE version is a subscription in the AOM:EE workshop)
Single or Multiplayer: Single Player

STORY
================

GERMANIA, 180 AD

-------------------------------------
In the Winter of 180 AD, Emperor Marcus Aurelius' Twelve-year Campaign against the Barbarian Tribes in Germania was drawing to an end.
Just one final stronghold stands in the way of Roman victory...
-------------------------------------

It is dusk in the open dirt valley in the pine forest. Two armies wait across it from each other, covered in a light fog. The pine woods on the east side hide one of them, the Germanic barbarian army on the east side. On the west side of the
valley, the Roman army is arrayed in trenches with ranks of archers, legionnaires, ballistas, and catapults. Roman soldiers eat beside campfires and their generals, Maximus and Quintus, who give orders to prepare the battle.

Germanic war chants and cries rumble in the woods. They have rejected the Roman offer of a peaceful Roman subjugation. A horse with a headless Roman
messenger soldier returns back to the Roman lines. A fur-robed barbarian strides onto the open valley's edge with the messenger's head and shouts loudly,
"Hel seig da fluch da huna".

The Germanic army emerges from the woods with axes, swords, and shields, and echoes, "Ooooooooooooooooooooo."

Quintus watches the scene and comments dryly, "People should know when they're conquered."

Maximus, asks in response, "Would you, Quintus? Would I?"

On a green hill, Emperor Marcus Aurelius, hidden in a blue cloak, surveys the scene. Meanwhile, Maximus rides into the woods with his war dog and gives a speech to his cavalry, "Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be,
and it will be so. Hold the line. Stay with me."

Back on the battlefield, a Roman archer shoots a firey signal arrow across the open field...

============================================

INSTALLATION

This Scenario uses Force of Light's Barbarian of Germania Unit Mod for AOM:TT.
https://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=2682 If you already have that
unit mod, then you can skip steps 1 and 2.

Step 1. Paste the "barbarian of germania_anim.txt" file in this downloaded zip file's "anim"
folder into your computer's "Age of Mythology\anim" folder.

Step 2. If you do not see a Protox.xml file when you open your computer's "Age of Mythology\data" folder, then simply paste the protox.xml file in this downloaded file into your AOM "data" folder. If you already have a protox folder currently in your "Age of Mythology\data" folder, then back it up and paste the "protox.xml" file included with this downloaded zip file directly into your "Age of Mythology\data" folder without
renaming the file. Either way, the only protox.xml file in your computer's AOM "data" folder should be this one that you've downloaded.

Step 3. Paste the sound file "Gladiator - Germania.mp3" into your computer's
"Age of Mythology\sound" folder.

Step. 4. Paste the scenario file "Battle in GERMANIA - 180 AD.scx" into your computer's
"Age of Mythology\scenario" folder.

These steps work if you are running AOM:TT, not AOM:EE, which is the Steam version of AOM. In case the steps above don't work, more detailed instructions are included in the Readme. To uninstall the scenario, just delete the files that you've installed for it.

============================

GAMEPLAY NOTES:

I recommend watching the "Gladiator" movie's opening sequence here:
Opening Scene Pt. 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXiSp9aJYN4&ab_channel=Rodrigo
Opening Scene Pt. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GcHaAVj1PI&ab_channel=Rodrigo

You are playing as the Germans. General Maximus' orders to his Roman troops were to "Hold the Line." The Romans' forces outmatch yours, but you may be able to break through the line and accomplish one either of two objectives:

Objective #1. Destroy the three tents that are just behind the Roman lines.

Objective #2. Reach the area where Emperor Marcus Aurelius was surveying the field of battle
with his blue guards. Bring your battling troops to stand so that their field of vision simultaneously reveals both Emperor Aurelius' blue flag and the red Roman flag to its west.

I playtested the scenario successfully, but I welcome comments in case it does not work for you.

==============================

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

Force of Light for his Barbarian of Germania Unit Mod for AOM:TT, which inspired me to make
this scenario. He gave me permission to post his mod.

EEL_Hagrit and Venlesh (Edu Cherrypatty) for helping me install the Barbarian of Germania unit Mod.

Ridley Scott and the staff of "Gladiator" (2000) for their inspiration and their audio work.

ph0enix88 for uploading the "Gladiator - Germania" sound clip from the movie.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rakovsky
File Author
I just realized that I made a serious but simple design flaw. I intended this scenario to be played as the Germans, but the last unit that I placed must have been one of the Roman Player #2's units, because the "Player View" is given as Player 2. The upshot was that when I originally uploaded this scenario in November 2020, the Human Player ended up playing as the Roman Player #2.

I have fixed this problem and uploaded a corrected version of the scenario onto this Scenario page. The new Zip file is titled "Battle in GERMANIA - 180 AD," and you can download it by clicking on the Download tab on this "Battle in Germania" webpage.

Don't feel bad if you played the original scenario though- by playing this latest version, you will have gotten to play on both sides. This scenario is intended for you to play as the Germans, but in the movie, the Romans won the Battle.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:423
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:507.37 KB
Added:11/16/20