Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Immigration and city mood
posted 08-12-03 08:30 ET (US)   
The only relation I knew between city mood and immigration was this:
Immigration stops when people are are annoyed or worse.

I thought when people are indiffernt or better its the same. But I realised its not.
If people are very pleased or better its the same. But if they are pleased, immigration drops a little and if they are indifferent it lowers further.
I dont know if this is well known or not but for me it was new.

Replies:
posted 08-12-03 08:44 ET (US)     1 / 14  
Mmm...? This is rather new to me, I must say. I thought immigration is affected by the housing vacancies?

D XUAN
posted 08-12-03 09:23 ET (US)     2 / 14  
Duan Xuan,
For testing I used a sav file with the following starting conditions:
There were a lot of large insulaes having empty room for new immigrants for a few months.
An invasion was ending immigration after a few months.

Yes I could stop the game in a certain time for each run but the invasion was an easier way.

For controlling city mood I changed taxes and wages.

posted 08-12-03 11:10 ET (US)     3 / 14  
I have noticed that when people are indifferent, and I still have housing vacancies, nobody moves in. But then I hold a large festival and people come pouring in.

Consul GM

If money doesn't grow on trees, then how come banks keep sprouting branches?

posted 08-12-03 12:29 ET (US)     4 / 14  
That's because the large festival raises the city mood to (probably) pleased, GM. I didn't notice philon's observation yet, I'll try to pay attention to it next time.
posted 08-12-03 22:50 ET (US)     5 / 14  
After a few more tests I got these results.
If an invasion or lack of housing vacancies doesnt stop immigration, immigration speed is as follows:

City Mood, People... Immigration Speed
idolise you as god % 100
love you % 100
are extremely pleased with you % 100
are very pleased with you % 100
are pleased with you % 80
are indifferent to you % 60,5
are annoyed with you or worse % 0

GM, when people are indifferent immigration shouldnt stop. Are you sure they were not annoyed?
EJ, yes you are right. Any festival rises city mood, but rising wages works faster I think.

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 08-13-2003 @ 00:28 AM).]

posted 08-12-03 22:55 ET (US)     6 / 14  
Philon, you could also put on your table that immigration is 0% when enemies are on the map or when all houses are full.
posted 08-12-03 23:31 ET (US)     7 / 14  
Thanks for the info, Philon! First I ever knew about this. You would think that if the designers were going to put this type of feature in, they would have put in more "steps". After all, if you are providing enough to your people to keep them idolizing you as a god, there would be a mad rush of people wanting to move into your city, right?

Have a good day!

Vectorgod

posted 08-13-03 00:39 ET (US)     8 / 14  
Cliff,
yes you are right. Housing vacancies and no invasions are neccesary conditions for immigration.

I'm a little confused about why immigration is lower in pleased and indifferent level.
The possibilites I can think for pleased and indifferent level are;
1.the number of immigrants which enter the map in a month is different or,
2.each immigrant represents a different number of citizens or,
3.immigrants move slower.
I got some confusing results in later tests and have to test again in different conditions. But one thing I'm sure is the immigration is lower in the mentioned levels.

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 08-13-2003 @ 00:40 AM).]

posted 08-13-03 05:16 ET (US)     9 / 14  
The difference for indifferent and pleased level is because the lower number of families wich enter the map in a month.

By family I mean the man pushing a cart and representing 4 citizens(or 5 sometimes for tents). Is there a better term for this?

If I have counted the families correct, in a month for very pleased or higher levels the limit is 50, for pleased 40 and for indifferent 30.

I read somewhere there is a limit for 192 immigration in a month. According this I should get 48 for the first number. Maybe I'm making a mistake. When not counting the immigrants and looking only for rising population I got smillar results as shown in the above table. But population is more confusing for tests.
If you want to make tests lower wages to zero and wait till indifferent or pleased and than rise wages to 22Dn (taxes are zero). After this the current mood should be maintained.

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 08-13-2003 @ 05:20 AM).]

posted 08-13-03 06:00 ET (US)     10 / 14  
What are your percentages based on, Philon? For example, what does 100% immigration mean?

D XUAN
posted 08-13-03 06:17 ET (US)     11 / 14  
It means I have accepted the immigration speed for 'people idolise you as god' level as % 100.
The table shows the results I got when looking at the population change. And I have used tents for this test.
For instance if you put 150 vacant lots and run the game for 3 months say your population will increase 500.
Actually it will increase more if houses are closer but thats not important.
The point is if your population increases 500 in 3 months at very pleased level or higher it will increse 400 at pleased level and 300 at indifferent (% 80 and % 60)

If you have not enough vacancies to reach the limits you will not realise any change.
As explained in the later posts the limits are 50, 40 and 30 families in a month.

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 08-13-2003 @ 06:22 AM).]

posted 08-14-03 11:52 ET (US)     12 / 14  
For many years, many players have known that immigration is typically higher when city sentiment is higher. It was obvious to me (by simply checking the number of people that arrived at each house or vacant lot) that the number of people represented by each immigrant family is affected by city sentiment. I didn't know whether the number of families is affected, but I only care about the rate of population increase.

In Pharaoh, difficulty level also affects the maximum immigration rate. I don't know if difficulty level affects immigration in C3, since I always play at Hard.

posted 08-14-03 13:32 ET (US)     13 / 14  
Brugle,
"For many years, many players have known that immigration is typically higher when city sentiment is higher."
According my tests the immigration limit at very pleased and higher levels are the same. Also if the limit isnt reached there wont be a difference for different moods. In other words if vacancies dont need to be more than 30 famailies to be send in a month no matter in wich mood the city is immigration will be the same.
Could you link me to old threads? I would like to see what was obviously known.

"It was obvious to me (by simply checking the number of people that arrived at each house or vacant lot)that the number of people represented by each immigrant family is affected by city sentiment"

Could you explain what your experience was? Houses no matter in wich city mood each time get 4 more citizens when an immigrant arrives I think. Yes sometimes tents get 5 but this seems the same for different city moods. I think the number of citizens each immigrant represents isnt affected by mood.

posted 08-15-03 09:35 ET (US)     14 / 14  
ive always found that a slight lack of food can lower immigration no food starts emigration and later on riots!
i found this out when i edited the cs_model.txt file in the caesar3 game file. If you edit the food factor make sure you make them need at least 1 type of food (water doesnt affect them)

if too many cooks spoil the broth then how come many hands make light work???
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Immigration and city mood
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames