Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: White Oaks Challenge
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 08-16-05 19:29 ET (US)   
The White Oaks .sav file and word document (copied below) has been uploaded. This challenge will take some time as it involves a 50 year free run of your city. There are however a few tips I would like to share as the city should not take more real life time to complete than most other cities. It is important to let your city run at 100% speed while you are not at the computer. There are a few invasions (one shortly after the deadline to start the free run and a couple more at times when most cities would first encounter a serious shortage of workers. These stop gaps should allow people to de-bug their cities a little easier, quicker and better (look at your population census graph). Good luck all.

Below is a cut and pasted version of the word document for the challenge.

A letter from Caesar, 500 BC, Tuesday 3:15 pm

To the future Governor of White Oaks,

As you know, I have been one the most successful and long lasting Caesar’s in the history of Rome. A large part of my success has been my ability to plan for the long term. I have already chosen my successor and plan to be the first Caesar to actually retire with an intact head. As such, I have a special assignment for you. Although not the most prolific Warlord, your city planning has always been of exceptional durability and quality, and I intend to test your abilities to their limits. In the 11th year following, I will relinquish Caesarship. You have until that time to build me a city with some notable characteristics. As Caesar my life has been fraught with an unending series of choices and dilemmas. Everyday I awoke with the knowledge that many things would change, either directly from my influence, or indirectly. I require you to build me a home in which I can retire. My house must be the only patricians house in the city and I will send my friends and family to go live there ahead of me. I want your Governor’s Palace on the same road immediately beside my house as an honour to you if you succeed in meeting my requirements. As I have grown tired of change, some might even say disgusted with change, I require you to build a small profitable city that requires no further decisions making for the remainder of my life, and I plan to live to be over a hundred years old. In addition to the native tribes within our borders, there is a small band of tribes through a rocky pass who are running out of supplies due to limit resources. The one path out of their valley is through the rocky pass, past the friendly natives and into our city. I do not want you to build legions and crush their outpost, but rather I wish to run a long-term experiment on them. They will cyclically have a large enough population that they will try and expand their territory through us. Kill their warriors but leave their homelands in peace so we can study them.

Goal: Create a city with the following requirements and a minimum population.

Requirements:

1) One Luxury Palace built immediately beside/touching a Governor’s Palace
2) No other patrician housing ever allowed, any and all types of worker housing allowed
3) All buildings must have access to workers (meaning if your city had enough workers the building would have full employment, however, if your city is short workers, any building may not have full employees present)
4) All entertainment buildings must have shows (for example the hippodrome must receive a charioteer from a chariot maker) for at least the first 3 years of the 50 year free run.
Edited for clarification as per post below: Amphitheatres and Colliseums must receive two shows continuously for the first three years of the free run.
5) The city must be stable by Feb 490 BC and remain stable for 50 more years with zero interaction from the user except to click notification windows.
6) The city must be out of debt earn a profit every year after Feb 490 BC
7) No house may devolve or evolve during the 50 year free run period. All housing must have full occupancy by Feb 490 BC.
8) Your favor falls one point per year if you set your salary to zero. There is one minor request with a huge favor boost so that very few gifts (if any) should be required. Gifts to Caesar are allowed if needed.
9) No building may collapse or catch fire or otherwise be destroyed from neglect or attack.

Rules

Must be played in hard always
No using entrance/exit flags to build mines.
Any trick (undo or otherwise) that provides for overlapping structures or provides structures with unusual beneficial characteristics (discretionary)
Note1: Gatehouses can be used anywhere in the city to control walkers
Note2: Vines may be turned off, but at least one wine workshop should have workers set to "on"
Note: If you choose to use towers as a defense, a working barracks should remain for the free run

Challenge Placement Criteria

Criterion 1) City with the smallest population satisfying the city requirements by Feb 490 BC
Criterion 2) Most city funds (denarii) after the 50 year free run used only if criterion 1 produces a tie

Designer Notes:
There will be infrequent sets of small attacks from between the rocks. Each attack will always be the same size. No Clay Pits will collapse. No rats live in the area.

As tent cities are considered a viable option and workers shortages are expected, wells are included in available buildings; please do not exploit the well for free denarii.

It would be better if the city was to run for 150+ years, but the limits of PC’s makes this unrealistic as an expectation.

There are a few invasions (with their game pausing messages) within the first 45 years, allowing you to check in on your city at important periods after the free run is initiated. This should shorten any “de-bugging” of your city if you choose to leave the game running at 100% while you do something more worthy of your time (recommended).

You must post or submit (to delgaty@sympatico.ca ) a saved game in Feb 490 BC and the same city 50+ years later (please not more than 60 years later though -- if possible). There is no invasion after 1960 BC.

All messages should be left in.

Comments and suggestions for this challenge are welcome.

Current Placements

1) Henrium - population 625, funds 52003
2) Brugle - population 699, funds 203730
3) GoonSquad - population 999, funds 58451
4) TheTaxAvoider - population 1088, funds 73158
5) GoonSquad - population 1529, funds 99K (indefinitely stable)

[This message has been edited by Naghite (edited 10-03-2005 @ 09:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-17-05 01:14 ET (US)     1 / 58  
Naghite is Criterion 1 at the save time or after the free run?
posted 08-17-05 03:22 ET (US)     2 / 58  

Quote:

7) No house may devolve or evolve during the 50 year free run period. All housing must have full occupancy by Feb 490 BC

Goonsquad, the population must be the same for both times. Part of what makes this an interesting challenge.

posted 08-17-05 07:02 ET (US)     3 / 58  
But if my initial save is before Feb 490BC (which seems to be after 10 and a bit years) it would still meet all stated requirements provided it reached full occupancy by 490BC. That's how I read it anyway.

Edit: I just read the last paragraph again and I take it the first save must be in Feb490BC, not before.

[This message has been edited by goonsquad (edited 08-17-2005 @ 07:08 AM).]

posted 08-17-05 10:59 ET (US)     4 / 58  
GS,

Short answer: First save must be in Feb 490 BC, no later and no earlier

Long answer:

Ideally if you only take 5 years to set up the city and all houses are fully occupied (not the case for you it seems), you could/should be able to start the free run period from that time. More specifically the date of Feb 490 BC could be taken as the absolute last date that you can satisfy all the criteria and start the free run. Having said this, anyone who fills up their houses in 5 years will be at a disadvantage compared to those who take 10 years. As a result, it just makes more sense that I asked everyone to submit their city with a save in Feb 490BC to avoid confusion and "help" people produce a valid entry. Note that if your houses are not full, then you cannot be a position to state that your city will not change, so you would still need to let the housing fill up anyway.

CC and GS:

The population may change even though housing levels do not change if more people die than are born in Jan of any year. Therefore the smallest population must be taken when the houses are required to have full occupancy and are henceforth no longer allowed to either evolve or devolve, which I have picked to be Feb 490 BC. I would have chosen Jan 490 but I preferred to make sure any population discrepancies due to births/deaths (unlikely in only 1o years) were taken care of by immigration before the save. If you were worried about someone using ghosting (at only a 50 year run, ghosting should be minimial but quite possible) to reduce the stated population, the earlier date of 490BC eliminates that concern /wink.

posted 08-18-05 19:08 ET (US)     5 / 58  
Jailing the natives is irrelevant without a Trade Center - didn't know that until yesterday. So that rule is moot.

Would anyone mind if I added/noted that if you choose to use towers as a defense that your towers are required to have a working barracks as well? (ie people should not delete their barracks once their towers have ballista's)
If no one minds I'll edit the rules above slightly for the challenge, but I'll give it a few days before I do in case someone can convince me I shouldn't for some reason (like they've already completed their map).

posted 08-20-05 03:01 ET (US)     6 / 58  
I haven't made a start yet, I've just had a look at the map and that's all. It looks fairly straightforward but of course the whole thing is to do it with minimal population. I've started testing a contest map for the Polish site, which they want to run in September. It's an interesting contest idea too, I don't think something like this has been done before in a contest (like White Oaks but a completely different idea). I had started something along similar lines, but it had problems and I've not yet followed through with it to make it work.

The last Polish contest had to be cancelled because they found some problems in it, so it's a sensible idea to get it beta tested.

Provided CC doesn't favour us with Version 2 of his little epic, I should get time after that.

posted 08-21-05 09:21 ET (US)     7 / 58  
Edited some of the rules/requirements. I'll try and figure out how to re-upload the zip file with an updated .doc file after this post.

Although a minimum population does make it harder GS, I would certainly recommend people just try and create a stable city first, and if that works out well, then try to reduce the population on a second go or modification of the city near 490 BC. Trying to do both at once might be unrealistic.

This challenge fools people into complaceny I think. It looks quite easy, until you try it . I will be pleased if I get 5 other people who make a valid attempt at this map. From playing this map, my 4th result was by far my best. The first three differed greatly in appearance and housing levels while the 4th took the best ideas from the previous three.

Results of my 4th city (retirement home)

Population an even 2600 (600 less than my previous best)
Funds in Feb 440 BC - 179396

Employees - 735 (could be reduced slightly to at least 725)
- 3% Unemployment in Feb 440 BC

Total Time spent creating 4th city : Approximately 6 hours play time and 2 hours free run time without me at the computer. Note however, that I have spent a lot of time studying aging effects, such that I pretty much have a feel for it now.

posted 08-21-05 19:27 ET (US)     8 / 58  
I might try this challenge (if I can find the time), and have a couple of questions:

Quoted from Naghite:

All entertainment buildings must have shows ... for at least the first 3 years of the 50 year free run.

Must the venues have shows constantly during those 3 years? If not, how often must they have shows? Must every colosseum and amphitheater have 2 shows?

Quoted from Naghite:

All housing must have full occupancy by Feb 490 BC.

Must the houses be occupied by the beginning of Feb 490 BC, or just when the save is made?
posted 08-22-05 01:00 ET (US)     9 / 58  
Brugle:

For the first 3 years, the entertainment venues must continuously have shows. After that they need only receive shows provided there are enough workers. Yes, Colliseums and Amphitheatres must both have 2 continuously working shows during this time.

Houses must be full when the save is made anytime within Feb 490 BC.

posted 08-28-05 18:46 ET (US)     10 / 58  
Sounds interesting, I think I'll give it a try.

I often have difficulties with the ageing of my people. Especially on maps with a larger population.Maybe it just takes me too much time, I don't know. I hope this map will teach me how to get a better hold of my workforce.

posted 08-28-05 21:00 ET (US)     11 / 58  
I have a vague plan for this mission, but the challenge will be to find the time to design and build it. I think I will need fewer than 2000 people, but will probably start with somewhat more and then (if there aren't any problems) experiment with throwing some of them out of their homes.
posted 08-29-05 09:05 ET (US)     12 / 58  
There seems to be a problem, I had 2 more people in feb 490BC than feb 440 BC and all my houses are fully occupied on those 2 dates.

[This message has been edited by TheTaxAvoider (edited 08-29-2005 @ 02:43 PM).]

posted 08-29-05 09:19 ET (US)     13 / 58  
I'm entering the free run with a population of 1,444. Something must be wrong by the sounds of it. I'm short by about 10 workers at the start of the run.

Edit: It hasn't taken long to see the problem. Look like lasting 10 years or less. I've tried below average health and that doesn't work. Too many below working age.

I can see what this is all about, but understanding it well enough to manage it for a 50 year free run, particularly with changes of population not allowed, yes that will take some doing. Good challenge Naghite.

[This message has been edited by goonsquad (edited 08-29-2005 @ 09:43 AM).]

posted 08-29-05 16:22 ET (US)     14 / 58  
Naghite,

Must all buildings have access to labor throughout the 50-year free run, or just at the time of the save? I assume that the answer is "throughout the free run", since otherwise it would be possible to give some buildings access to labor with temporary houses and delete those houses just before the save, allowing those buildings to lose labor access early in the free run. (This doesn't affect my current design, since all buildings have good access to labor, but if buildings are allowed to lose labor access during the free run then my design is far from optimal.)

I found the time to complete the design in the usual way (giving up sleep), and am pleased with it. If my calculations are correct then the maximum population is 2177, but I'm pretty sure that I can cut that by a few hundreds.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 08-29-2005 @ 04:23 PM).]

posted 08-29-05 22:34 ET (US)     15 / 58  
Brugle,

As you guessed, all buildings should have access to employees throughout the free run period.

When I first made the map, I thought the winning entry would simply go under 3000. I know I could lose another hundred down from my current best at 2600 to 2500 with a few small changes, but 2177 seems quite a bit lower - I'll be interested in seeing if you are able to get that, or even lower . Under 2K would be phenomenal.

I wonder if Joshofet is going to surface for a shot at this challenge?

P.S. The game I played before C3 was Everquest. I am glad to say I rarely lose sleep over this game (a few hours here and there only) compared to the game fondly nicknamed evercrack

[This message has been edited by Naghite (edited 08-29-2005 @ 10:39 PM).]

posted 08-30-05 12:25 ET (US)     16 / 58  
D'oh! I forgot about the governor's palace. (Fortunately, I had only spent a few hours actually building.) Most of the design should still be usable.
posted 08-30-05 12:58 ET (US)     17 / 58  
I've made this thread a sticky for now. I'll "un-sticky" it when it runs to an end but it's been a while since the last challenge and this one looks interesting and promising .
posted 08-30-05 20:50 ET (US)     18 / 58  
Thanks EJ

I am laughing at myself as my original population guesses were way too high An invalid (but easily fixed) entry just came in under half of my lowest population (I'll anounce the results once the entry has been corrected). A nice looking city that taught me a thing or two.

I'll be very interested to see if someone can come up with anything better.

posted 08-30-05 21:20 ET (US)     19 / 58  
Naghite,

Wow, under 1300 people (under 1100 plebians)! Don't wait too long to announce the specifics--I'm curious as to what had to be "corrected".

I've finished my redesign, and hope to build my city (with over 2100 people) soon and then see how many people really are required. I had guessed that its minimum population would be between 1400 and 1700, but maybe it'll work with fewer.

posted 08-31-05 01:28 ET (US)     20 / 58  
One amphitheater was not receiving any shows - I am not sure if it will make a difference. If it does, a few added houses should fix it.
posted 08-31-05 02:45 ET (US)     21 / 58  
Hi Naghite,

Interesting challenge, I have been playing around with it a little and a sub 2000 entry looks "easily" possible. I was only wondering about the stability criterium. The city has to freerun for 50 years, but you would prefer it if it runs for 150+.

If only 50 years are required, storing all commodities for this period would be a possibility, which makes all industry redundant. This makes a huge difference for the design. So far I have been looking at an "infinitely" stable city design. To reach something like 1300 people I only see using a 50-year stock as an option, but I felt that would be against the spirit of the challenge.
As it is your challenge, what's your opinion about it?

Henrium

posted 08-31-05 10:13 ET (US)     22 / 58  
Hi Henrium,

I designed each of my cities with the thought of the city running indefinitely (ie 1000 years) so all goods were being produced or imported. The entry I just received stored goods and would eventually crash due to lack of goods, but it probably could go 100+ years before running out of goods. Perhaps there should be 2 categories, one which satisfies the listed criteria, and another which adds in that the city (ignoring ghosting) would be stable indefinitely. For now, this challenge should stay as posted, meaning that if you store up goods for 50 years, that would be acceptable. I'd be happy to note any entries that are indefinitely stable as a separate list though.

EDIT: At the bottom of the first post I have added a placement list. Beside TheTaxAvoider's very nice entry I noted it was not indefinitely stable, and beside mine I noted it was. Of course, his population is under half of mine /wink

[This message has been edited by Naghite (edited 08-31-2005 @ 10:19 AM).]

posted 08-31-05 12:26 ET (US)     23 / 58  
TheTaxAvoider,
Congratulations! 1088 people is a tough target. Did you put any effort into improving the age distribution?

Naghite,
I'm a little surprised at this part:

Quote:

Perhaps there should be 2 categories ... another which ... (ignoring ghosting) would be stable indefinitely.

of your answer to Henrium. It is clear that you enjoy cities that are almost indefinitely stable, but this:

Quote:

It would be better if the city was to run for 150+ years, but the limits of PC’s makes this unrealistic as an expectation.

indicates that you rejected that idea for this challenge. This part of the mission briefing:

Quote:

I require you to build a small profitable city that requires no further decisions making for the remainder of my life, and I plan to live to be over a hundred years old.

makes it clear that Caesar's lifetime is the only period that matters. (The self-indulgence of the mission briefing is further confirmation.)

I don't mean to disparage your effort. It's interesting to see how many people are needed for a city that meets the requirements and is also almost indefinitely stable. (Likewise, it would be interesting to see how many people are needed for a city that meets the requirements and also feeds everyone or always has all possible shows or never has a worker shortage or has good health or ...)

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 08-31-2005 @ 01:53 PM).]

posted 08-31-05 14:45 ET (US)     24 / 58  
Ok, back to the drawing board, so the challenge is stable and under 1000

Henrium

posted 08-31-05 14:48 ET (US)     25 / 58  
My goal was to get a good birth rate.

It really starts to get tense at 465BC, when all your first workers (who were 20-25 years at 490BC) are starting to retire. That is why you need alot of births between 490BC-485BC.
I was able to improve birthrate with a few methods.
To mention one,
keeping health low is really important. I could really notice the difference at 465BC between a run with full and poor clinic acces for the common houses.

We can discuss it in full detail after the contest ofcourse .

[This message has been edited by TheTaxAvoider (edited 08-31-2005 @ 02:50 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » White Oaks Challenge
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames