Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 3 new speed record and 3 new blocks
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-06-02 12:17 ET (US)   
Recently,after a two-years' break,I began playing Pharoah again,although I was not intended to make any of the new speed record at first--just to test the idea of multi-loop block which I used to creat some population record of C3 cites,but after finishing Abedju in 68 months,which not only renewed the 80 months record by Max,but also of the "new" speed star-Cartouche Bee's 74 months,I decided to go on trying Saqqara and Meidum,these records,as far as know,are also made by Cartouche Bee,which looks very challenging-and I did them pretty bad two years ago.These efforts bring out two new records:55 months for Saqqara(not a big improvement compared to Bee's 57 months,but I finished it without debt,it can be improved furthur if debt record was allowed),for Meidum,it is 132 months,and I think it is very close to the possible limit for that map(to make that speed,going into debt is inevitable,but can be avoided if the target speed is slightly under 150 months).

I'll decribe the stategy used for these three cities and the three big blocks used for Meidum in the following posts.

Replies:
posted 05-06-02 16:05 ET (US)     1 / 51  
All three cities were done under the following personal rules:Hard difficulty,no donations,no free stuff,bailout is allowed for speed,but no debt except for Meidum( cartouche Bee's 150 months is a hard nut to crack),all houses should be residence and above(failed in saqqara,there were 4 homesteds).

Abedju:

No peasants are allowed to use the ferry in this city:ferry are usually the speed killer and should be avoided in any of the monument construction scenarios,they will also lower the efficiency of farming as the the game assigns the peasants randomly from workcamps,and camps choose the closest farm as their first target--that "close" is in the means of "as the crow fly".--so I gave up the small farming land on the west bank,and built 25 farms on the northern flood plain and the land near the marsh(share a bridge with the reed gatherers).They are supported by 13 workcamps(a side note,workcamps can generate 4 peasants each month,to ensure maxinum output of farms,more camps is always better).

To speed up the constuction,I've built 30 brickworks,and not importing any bricks before all 16000 clay annual import had been made-that need some micro at the end of each year-and brick import got priority in the last year because I'd already have enough clay to support the brickworks.

Abedju is very easy,from current point of view.

Some data:

Population: 4640(should be 4760,43 common residences in large 8-block on the west bank,which is similar to the block in reply #4,smaller and only 5 space wide for the inner loop,a 15 elegant residences one in the north)
Final city fund:27318
Score:19931

Saqqara:

Saqqara is also quite streight forward:establish a big population(2000+) as quickly as possible-before the construction begins,since the stone hauling needs about 34-36 months,you should have all things ready in about 18 months.

To speed up the populations growth,fast food is needed:that means hunting:in an ideal situation(not animal pen),each lodge can harvest 6500-7500 meat each year.To reach that productivity,that need:1.Onelodge for each herd,and place it at a proper distance to the herd--about 8 tiles,too close to the herd will kill the prey too quickly,and the hunters will wander away if there are multiple herds on the map,this is also the reason for one lodge per herd.a storage yard very close to the lodge-the number of hunters sent out equals to the mumer of free space(hundreds) in the lodge(no more than 3).2.Cover the immediate north of the herd with buildings(not gardens!),that's because of animals moving patterns:they always trying to go northward,then wander clockwisely back to the original breeding ground.I've used all four herd on the map,they ensure that all houses had received food in 10-15 months(the production level was about 5000 each lodge/year-I was able to sell meat right from the begining,a good trade considering the investment).

Meadow farming was started quite late,when I had labour to spare,the consequence was,one manors(from 20!) and two fancy residences(from 47) devolved to common residence in the last few months--I should have payed some respects to Bast,the lesson was taken in the folowing city,Meidum.

To support the huge construction cost without going into debt(bailout was taken),quick money are also needed:that came from the 4 gold mines on the eastern island (with the help of Ptah's TC ).Other exports were kept at mininium: only some papyrus and linen.The dock is located on the central island which is very close to the entry point,so that I won't have to micromanage trade.

Nothing particular about pyramid construction,the site layout is a mixture of Nero Would and Cartouche Bee's,the difference is,I didn't use feeder houses,labour access were provided by the two main housing blocks.

Scoreboard:

Population:6154 -20 spacious manors,47 fancy residences,4 spacious homesteds(not enough time to evolve them into residences--the supply of beer and papyrus was tight).
City fund:20501
Prosperity:97--will reach 100 in the next quarter.
Culture:15!--only enough to ensure housing evolution.
Score:22220

The ultimate time for Saqqara should be 50-54 months,even debt is allowed.

Meidum

I've spent more time in doing Meidum,so there are more details.

Before starting buiding it,I did some test first(quite a lot):1.to see how many months will be needed for the base preparation and how many camps needed to achieve a decent speed.2.checking out the months needed for stone hauling and the number of quarries needed to make it runing smoothly.3.the productivity of flood plain farms,especially the first year(the reason will be descibed below).4.the pattern of 2x2 houses and time for the first three population milestones.

The relevant results are:1.need 11-12 months with 18 workcamps(which CB's save).2.108-110 months with CB's setup,but can be improved to under 100 months by moving the pyramid closer to the quarries(some of the quarries are too far from the construction site in Bee's save)--and the first 12 courses need a supply of 500+ blocks of stone each year.3.16 flood plain farms with two camps can produce ~5000
grain in the first season and ~11000 in th following years.There is also the possibilty of a blessing from Osiris...

So,there are the strategies:

a.Housings and food supply

Build three big housing blocks in the centre of the map,one 36 stately manor block,a 45-50 fancy residence block and a 60 comon or fancy residence block.there will be a small CR block near the entry to attract early migrants and supplying labour access for the construction site.There will be 3 groups of feeder houses in the mining area ,the islands and east bank,but they will also be common residences.

The three big blocks will get food from the three farming season and some imports(grain),the flood plain farms will be abandoned since year 3 till the pyramids has been finished(the end).The manor block will be fed first(fewer number of hhouses),they will be held at shanty level before all houses are stocked at least some fish.it won't get any food in the following years,except from Bast.The same rountine apply to the fancy residence block,they will receive grains in the second year and fish in the fourth year.It will be allowed to by some grain if the timing of Bast's blessing is not ideal.The biggiest one will receive food from the third and doubled harvest,they will not eat fish until the second block had been fully stocked.

Meadow farms will be started when population is big enough,and manor evlovement has been finished.The small block will get food when the big three have fully stocked. The restock of houses are mostly in Bast's hand.

Some granaries will be built late in the game,to raise the tolerence level of high taxes

b.Construction optimizing

One of the major discovery from the tests is,carpenter is the cause of the delay in constructing the upper levels:I was confused for a long time about the strange phenomenon of a late-last mason,he will travel in the streets for a long time while others are climbing the stairs,sometime even after the first few sledge teams.Now I know that he is waiting for the carpenter to finish the stairs--won't start climbing before that.So,the carpenters should be put closest to the stepping tile.

The second discovery is,the number of workcamps needed for hauling stones should be determined by the number of stones waiting at the gate of the "main" storage yard,not as the usual idea of 2 times of the number of masons(for the upper and smaller courses,it is still 1/2 ratio).According to my tests,the number of workcamps needed for the first 12 levels is at 16-17 range,more than that won't have a better result(if not worse).The reason is,too many peasants will empty the main SY too quickly,although there are about 6-8 "virtual loads" waiting to fill the main SY,and there should be some time(3 days to a week) for the workcamps to generate new peasants for the secondary SY.

The other decision made from the tests is,even the 72 quarries from Bee's setup is not enough for the 17camp/13 mason setup(13 masons is 1/2 optinium for the first 6 courses),I have to creat some virtual quarries(emptying SYs)to keep up the speed--I've used 13 such SYs during the run(but "only" 64 quarries).Why not start hauling earlier and allow some delay during the process?The answer is,the time needed for clearing the base is quite long and you cannot build all the buildings(e.g.camps and quarries) at a time,they can always be added gradually(the base was finished in the 37th month into the game).--I've also considered using "Brugle's SYs" to improve the mining efficiency,but that's not possible in the early years--where can I find the 32000 units to fill these SYs?!

The actually run is quite decent:no delays due to the unconsistancy of stone supply,and no significant gap between the sledge teams(there are 20+ teams at a time!).The whole proccess used 94 months,which is beyond my expectations(which is 96 months).

c.Industry and trading

I found that Cartouche Bee had made several wise decisions on that issue as the reed/papyrus industry,wood setup,and not trading bricks,so what I did was made some fine tunes on them.The major difference was I decided to trade less pottery(only when there are too many),and more papyrus,the later decision may not be very good because that interfers the fish import(need reed import which comes from the same city of Behdet) and need some micros on trading in some years.

The final result is quite ideal:the manor and fancy residence blocks are all successfully evolved and being stable under the benevelence of Bast,although for one time,she made a just-in-time blessing and the manor block was on the brink of collapse.Besides of that,the time is also very close to the possible limit.

Some data:

15425 population(all residences and above,they are 36 stately manors,57 fancy residences and 77 common residences)

Final fund:338,665 deben(100+K annual tax from 20% rate,25-26k from export)

Prosperity:100(of course)
Culture:50 (no more possible)
Kingdom:57 (lost one from debt)
Score: 126,490
City centiment: people love me (dropped from idolize in the last two years when I raised the tax rate from 17 to 20)

81 soldiers(3/3 infantry/archers-forget about the last infantry company for two years,otherwise there will be 96)

I'll submit the three cities to the downloads,not because of the new record,but also of the new housing blocks:they are newly invented wheels

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-06-2002 @ 06:30 PM).]

posted 05-06-02 16:26 ET (US)     2 / 51  
The three cities used the same idea of multi-loop block.The following are the ones I used in Meidum.

50 fancy residence block ("L" blcok)

Juggler platformPlazaGardenGarden
PlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
Music platformPlazaDance platformApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartment
Plaza
ApartmentPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaRoadblockPlazaPlaza
PlazaApartmentOsirisApartmentPlazaApartment
ApartmentPlazaPlaza
PlazaApartmentApartmentPlazaApartment
ApartmentPlazaLarge StatuePlaza
ApartmentPlazaPlaza
PlazaApartmentLarge StatueApartmentPlazaApartment
ApartmentPlazaPlaza
ApartmentPlazaLarge StatuePlaza
PlazaApartmentApartmentPlazaPtah
GardenPlazaGardenJuggler platform CourthousePlazaPlaza
PlazaPlazaPlazaPlaza PlazaWater SupplyGardenGardenGardenShrineFire WardenPlaza
Music platformPlazaDance platformApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentPlazaTax CollectorBazaarShrinePlazaApartment
PlazaFire WardenMusic platformPlazaJuggler platformArchitectShrinePlaza
GardenApartmentPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaApartment
GardenPlazaTemple ComplexDance platformPlazaGardenDentistSchoolBazaarApartment
PtahPlazaPlazaGardenShrineGardenGarden
PlazaMortuaryPlazaFire WardenShrineGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGarden
PlazaPlazaPhysicianGarden
GardenApartmentPlazaBazaarPlazaGarden
GardenPlazaPlazaApartmentGarden
GardenApartmentPlazaShrineShrinePlazaGarden
GardenPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaShrineShrineGarden
GardenApartmentShrineApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineApartmentShrineApartmentGarden
GardenShrineShrineShrineGarden
PlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlaza

Legend

I've built 45 in the real city,some of the tiles were used by shines to boost desire(near the quarries),and it had two tax collectors.

(These blocks are so big that I can oly post one in each post!)

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-08-2002 @ 06:39 AM).]

posted 05-06-02 16:30 ET (US)     3 / 51  
Mega stately manor block(36 manors):

PlazaGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenMusic platformPlazaJuggler platform
GardenPlazaMusic platformRoadblockManorManorManorManorGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenManorManorManorManorPlazaPlazaPlazaPlaza
PlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaTax CollectorBazaarShrineTax CollectorDance platformPlazaGarden
Juggler platformPlazaDance platformRoadblockApothecaryPlazaGardenRoadblock
GardenPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaManorShrine
ShrineManorPlazaManorManorManorManorBazaarMusic platformPlazaJuggler platformBazaarManorManorManorManorPlazaShrine
ShrinePlazaPlazaGardenPlazaShrine
ShrinePlazaGardenShrineArchitectPlazaFire WardenShrineGardenPlazaShrineShrineShrineShrine
ShrinePtahPlazaOsirisLarge StatueLarge StatueLarge StatueBastetPlazaLibraryLarge StatueLarge StatueLarge StatuePtahPlazaOsirisShrine
ShrinePlazaPlazaPlazaShrine
ShrinePlazaPlazaPlazaShrine
ShrineManorPlazaManorManorManorManorGardenShrineFire WardenPlazaDentistShrineGardenManorManorManorManorPlazaShrineShrineShrineShrine
ShrinePlazaSchoolGardenPlazaMusic platformMortuaryPlazaManorShrine
ShrinePlazaJuggler platformPlazaPlazaShrine
GardenPlazaDance platformPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaShrine
GardenPlazaGardenManorManorManorManorWater SupplyCourthousePhysicianManorManorManorManorDance platformPlazaGardenPlaza
PlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaGardenPlazaGardenPlaza
Juggler platformPlazaMusic platformGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenPlazaPlazaPlazaPlaza
GardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenGardenMusic platformPlazaJuggler platform

Legend

I stick to the 50 or 52 tiles "safe" length for each of the loop,but they can be bigger.The two tax office are needed to ensure 100% tax are collected(it seems tax collector should visit each house twice in half a year).

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-08-2002 @ 06:42 AM).]

posted 05-06-02 16:37 ET (US)     4 / 51  
The 64 common residence block--I built 60 in the game.They can all be fancy residences if some extra desire boosters near the corners(and enough of secondary food),there will be no problem from religious coverage,all housed will be visited by at least 2 gods.One tax office works fine here.

Dance platform
Ptah TempleCourthouse
ApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentPhysicianShrineApartmentShrineApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartment
ShrineApothecaryMusic platformJuggle platform
ShrineShrineApartment
ApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineApartmentApartmentApartmentTax CollectorDance platformApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentOsiris TempleJuggle platform
ShrineShrineApartment
ApartmentApartmentMusic platformJuggle platformShrineShrine
ShrineFire WardenFire WardenShrineBastet TempleShrineApartment
ApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineApartmentShrineApartmentApartmentBazaarMusic platformBazaarApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentShrine
DentistShrineJuggle platformJuggle platformApartment
ShrineShrine
ApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentBazaarArchitectWater SupplySchoolApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentApartmentShrineApartment
ShrineShrine

Legend
posted 05-06-02 17:12 ET (US)     5 / 51  
Some notes about these blcoks:

The idea of multi-loop block came from the P-Olymics scenario of Harmanat,while I used a "windmill" design to let the water carrier to cover the four branches.As I stopped playing Pharoah since then,I was not able to use the idea in the game,until recently,I used it in the big C3 cities:it's major advantage is obvious:less services buildings and more houses.

I was intended to use the "Crofix"(4 branches) or "T"(three branches) at first,because from the C3 experience I know that these setup is more stable than a two branch one,since all C3/pharaoh walkers have the natural tendency of repeating the 4-choice cycle,if you put the relevant building close enough to the intersection,they will behave very predicatably,and visiting four directions one by one.
In a single or dual loop block,they will still try to do the same,but their behavier will be more affected by the nearby road system,and more irregularity will be seen when there are roadblocks near their home--that's why I placed the entrance/exit near the corners,in my point of view,almost all irregularities,including vaporising ,teleporting,are due to the presence of roadblock/gatehouse(dancers are the most frequent teleporters because their home,a combined building have some tiles regarded as roadblocks by the game-a guess).

The orientation of the block will also affect the walkers behavier:they have a preferred direction if their choice is limited by "only" two loops,sometimes they will visit the two branches evenly,but sometimes will do a 1/3,that's will cause serious result if that service is critical(FIRE or physician/apothcary in a starving city,sometimes even the architects!).In the above three blocks,north are all on the top-left,but I cannot garantee they will also work well if they are rotated.

All these blocks need at least two fire fighters to ensure no fire in the block,and scribe schools/liberaries should be close to the office for extra protection.More fire marshals are needed when the houses are below homested level,and maybe only one are needed when houses are manors and above.

As mentioned above,usually two tax offices are needed to collect all the taxes.

The other bonus of these blocks:You can achive "perfect" health easier with half number of monturies(I haven't tested with senet house,but I think it is possible to fit it into the block).You can also have a true cross road for entertainment buildings-no extra tiles in these blocks.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-06-2002 @ 05:17 PM).]

posted 05-07-02 03:23 ET (US)     6 / 51  
Impressive, Plebus.
Welcome back

Angel Jayhawk
EyrieCaesar 4 HeavenChildren of the Nile HeavenStronghold HeavenCaesar 3 HeavenEmperor HeavenPharaoh HeavenZeus HeavenMy Deviations
Support your local HeavenMy RecommendationsEXCOHALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 05-07-02 03:44 ET (US)     7 / 51  
Plebus,
Congrats on your amazing speed records, and thanks for some very interesting blocks. They look very tempting, though I like to play it a bit safer in terms of stability in my pitifully slow slog through the campaign. I realize that as a competitor, you have to push the envelope, and your understanding of the random walkers and your results certainly speak for themselves.
A question about entertainment: In your first two blocks, you have some pavillions oriented so that they do not connect with the loop. Are entertainment walkers supposed to pass the houses on the outside on their way from their schools to the pavillions, or am I missing the point entirely?

Happy building
TEP

posted 05-07-02 05:45 ET (US)     8 / 51  
Tep,

About the pavillions:This is a unique feature of the building(I learned that long time ago from the forum),if the 2x2 stage have a tile or two touching the inner loop and no other roads leading towards the built-in road of the pavillion,performers(all destinational and random walkers) will use the stage as entry/exit.

Some observations about teleporting dancers:I think the dancers use the four corners of the stage as the starting point of each of the walk,but due to the nature of the pavillion,at least one corner of the stage will be blocked by other buildings or the buildings within itself(musicians or booth,garden),when they are trying to use the blocked direction,they teleport,usually to a nearby road in that direction.For that reason,I think a pavillion on a true crossroad is better than the one on a "T" junction.

About the blocks:These blocks are very stable when at residence level and above,and with extra fire houses and perhaps physicains in earlier stages of housing evolution,they are also very safe.No differences between them and "Normal" blocks! As I said above,the safiest form of a mutil-loop block is the one which has four branches,the walker's behavier will be completely predicatable(they also need two fire houses and two tax collectors).

AJ,long time no see!

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-07-2002 @ 07:07 AM).]

posted 05-07-02 15:34 ET (US)     9 / 51  
Plebus,

Congratulations on the new speed records, and welcome back to Pharaoh Heaven. It took me a while to understand how your blocks worked. As far as I know, you are the first to design housing blocks that fully take advantage of random walker behavior.

Random walker behavior has been studied in much detail by StephAmon. If you haven’t done so already, you might want to check out his threads Directions and travel distances of labor recruiters near intersections (01-06-02), Quadrambles of service walkers and domains of their buildings near an intersection (03-05-02) and Predicting roaming walks near two intersections and roadblocks (03-08-02).

StephAmon’s work in those threads convinced me that blocks like yours were possible. However, I never attempted to design one. Well done.

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 05-07-2002 @ 03:35 PM).]

posted 05-07-02 16:33 ET (US)     10 / 51  
VAIA,

Thanks for your kind words.

I've taken a look at StephAmon's long thesis about a month ago,but not in much details(they are too LONG). IMHO,although his effort is admirable--I never had such a "scientific" spirit for so many tests--I think his study didn't get the point:

First,such a study should start with the question:what I will do if I am the designer of the game?I would add enough variables to make the game more interesting(random),but not too complicated for the computer to handle--the rules must be simple(I think these hidden formulars will only return with a few of 0/1s).Secondly,the study should take entry/exit of each building into consideration, otherwise,they are not more than a number of complicated and confusing data?Besides,as Brugle pointed out in one of the replies,walker's behavier is always influeenced by the nearby roads(in my words,they always try to cover a wider area than they are limited to-i.e.single loop or straight raods),a sandbox of isolated crossroads might not be able to predict the walkers' behavier in a "real" city.

I'm not the the first one who used multi-loop design in housing blocks:that's Max,the most telented player.If you have seen his Baki and Heh,you would see a couple of such designs,although not so ambitious as mine.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-07-2002 @ 04:42 PM).]

posted 05-07-02 22:15 ET (US)     11 / 51  
Plebus:

Clearly, I've got to shorten any future posts I make to this site. Sorry!

Thank you for getting a description of a beautifully functional L-shaped figure-eight block into the public record. You positioned most of your serivce buildings at locations that put the four-way intersection within their domains, and the walkers should (for the most part) go out the four roads from that intersection in a nice, reliable clockwise order. None of the temples nor the temple complex have the four-way intersection within their domains, so the meanderings of the priests could periodically cause temporary loss of the access to a second god that fancy residences require. However, as long as the temple complex is dedicated to a God other than Ptah or Osiris, chance alone should keep this block pretty safe.

The walkers from the two Bazaars located furthest to the southeast should exhibit interesting walk cycles. Since their northernmost squares are closer to the nearby corner than they are to the four-way intersection, the walkers should go around the block with the long axis oriented from SW to NE always in the counter-clockwise direction, whereas around the other block they should make first a clockwise trip and then a counterclockwise trip before turning their attention back to the SW to NE block for two consecutive counter-clockwise trips. In other words, the sellers from those two bazaars should never walk directly to the four-way intersection and turn right on the road to the northeast.

The firehouse across the street from Ptah's temple cannot see the four-way intersection and will not give you very reliable coverage. In fact, you could get by with just the other two firehouses if you exploit "initial recruiter invariance" (described in some of the replies to the first of my posts cited by Vitruvius above) to put your firemen "out of phase".

The most exciting feature of compound blocks containing four-way intersections is the very high building efficiency that can be achieved. In the interests of maximizing that property of your blocks, I wonder if you have found it strictly necessary to include all four bazaars in the L-block. Also, I am still trying to figure out why you found two tax offices to be required in the stately manor double block Incidentally, I still have not been able to find the architect in the stately manor block.

I feel very confident recommending your L-shaped block to readers of this post. I have used a number of similar designs in recent constructions. In fact, I used one in my submission to the Grain contest over at City Building Contests, but my entry fared so miserably that no one ever saw it. (I never got the hang of magic storage yards.)

The second and third compound blocks I would be a little more hesitant in adopting, because they contain some inherent instabilities and irreplicabilities. I should probably put some "for instances" behind such an assertion. So here goes. In your third block, it was a wise choice to use the position you show for the physician rather than something more critical like a water carrier. Let's consider one four-walk cycle of the physician beginning with the trip he makes to the northwest. He leaves his walk start square with instructions to head to the northwest for 37 squares and then come back. This causes him to go counterclockwise around the left block. A walk to the northeast is due next, but no road leads in that direction so he will make a default walk of 26 squares from his start square in the default direction, which for this building will be to the SE. This won't quite be enough to get him more than half way around the right block so he'll reverse course. Next, he is dispatched with orders to proceed to the southeast for a total of 31 squares from his start square, which is easily enough to let him loop. Finally, we reach the unstable walk. He will reliably walk down the road to the southwest until he reaches the three-way intersection in front of the water supply. This intersection does not lie within the domain of his building. In my preliminary studies, it sure seems like he makes a non-random, map-square-dependent choice as to what he will do at this point. Depending on which square that three-way intersection sits upon, he may may turn left or right with about 50:50 probability. But, if you move the exact same block to another position in the same map, the physician may now exhibit a strong bias for a left or a right turn rather than making a 50:50 split.

Like TEP, I am pretty risk averse, so I would feel nervous using the blocks with the paired three-way intersections. But to TEP I would like to recommend the first block you show very heartily no matter how risk averse he might be because there really is no risk. That block (except for the quibble regarding temples which is easily fixed) should be rock solid. As I remember saying in an earlier post, there is nothing random about the behavior of walkers at a four-way intersection, AS LONG AS that intersection lies within the domain of their buildings (Edit 5/26/2002: AND, as long as no unwalkable roads are placed in their shorting wings.)

Congratulations on a major contribution to Pharaoh-construction theory. I enjoyed your post enormously.

StephAmon

[This message has been edited by StephAmon (edited 05-26-2002 @ 03:05 AM).]

posted 05-08-02 02:27 ET (US)     12 / 51  
Hi StephAmon,

I'm sorry that I've mistakenly said that all three blocks have the north on top-left:the third one("8" block) has its north actually on the top-right,that will make your predictions about its walkers irrelevant(but your comments on priests are correct,several houses at the bottem-left corner won't be covered by two priests all the time).

About the number of bazaars:All three blocks have three bazaars,the 4th bazaar in the "L" block is actually a pysician(I've edited that post),but I did use 4 bazaars in the later two blocks when suppling grain to them:the numbers are determined according to the distance to the food/commodity source and the speed I want the houses in these block get food.If you've read the details about food supply in Meidum in the reply #1,you'll see that houses in these three blocks get food from 2 and a half farming seasons (the first year only have 4 months for farming) of 16 farms,so I had used 4 bazaars in each block to buy grains-the limited food should going to every house as quickly as possible-not being partially consumed during the time when bazaars were restocking.

If stability is the only concern(in a ideal situation),I think two bazaars are enough,and a third is more secure if the city has short in a certain resouce for a period of time.The other reason for excessive bazaars is,they will benifit from Bast's blessing:She will only increase the amount of resources already there,more bazaars means more likely all of them would have some of resources left when the blessing comes.

About the dual tax collectors: they are needed to visit every house frequent enough to collect all taxes.In my C3 cities,which have triple and quadro loops,one forum(tax collector) can only collect 2/3 to 3/4 of the taxes(varies from years to years,depend on when the tax collector start his first walk of that year),although the overlay shows they are all visited by the tax collector-my explaination is,houses should be visited by tax colletor(s) twice every six months,or once every quarter.Both of the L block and the manor block need two tax collectors,but the 64 houses one need only one-maybe there are still some taxes(very little) not collected in some years,but that doesn't matter.

I have not watched very closely to every walkers,because I was more occupied with the pyramids-from several tests I ran before playing these three cities,I know such design will work no matter it's "8" or a "L",or rotated to another direction-but I have to made adjustments of the locations of the buildings for their relative location to the four way intersections--I do this basically according to my intuitions,and a simple rule:short range and short effect(six months)walkers should be best placed at sounthern-western part of the intersection,long range walkers can be put further away,but within 3-4 tiles to the intersection.Besides of that, I 'll fix any of the problems qucikly if my guesswork failed--the only uncertainty to me is the the fire protection:50 or 52 tiles loop is too small for that long range walker(his long patrol is beyond that,53 tiles I think)--in my experience,walkers will behave more predictable when they are pushed to their limits,i.e.they have to use the destinational part of the walk to complete the loop,in that means,52 tiles or even 54 tiles loop is better than say 46 or 48 tiles for most of the walkers.The other evidence is,in C3 quadro blocks(I call it "Crucifix block"),all walkers used long patrol only(you are right about a walker will use a short 26 tiles walk when he is not able to go to the direction which is supposed to),and the distance of "turning back point" sometimes went beyond 37 tiles,which is almost impossible if it is in a single loop block or on a streight road.

I can only convince you that the two south-eastern bazaars had made counter-clockwise walks most of the time(congrates for your successful predictions):I can tell that because I've checked the number of houses who had got fish,to determine when I should evolve them beyond cottage level:the houses along the right hand side of the loop got fish first,and only the two houses near the intesection(on left side of the loop) got some fish when most of the houses on the other side already fully stocked.

You can find there are three fire marshalls in that "L" block,this is the only one I have to use a third to protect the block from fire below homested level,you are corret about the fire marshal opposite to the Ptah temple:I put it there for this very reason: protect that half of the block only. (in the manor block,the northwest of the three fire houses is actually the architect,I'll edit that post later) :the originally two had paid fewer visit to the upper-right loop,and that will cause fire if I changed the game speed or reload a save made in certain time-that is an important difference of Pharoah walkers to their C3 counterpart.In C3,walkers will always behave the same from the time they are staffed,but in Pharaoh,that's a different story.Many of my stable cities will get fire in certain places(not compound blocks!) if I load a game and run the city at 100% speed(but sometimes not,with the same save file!).I think Pharaoh has employed a different machanism handling temperary data(buffer),they seems to be renewed more offen than C3(perhaps changed from every game year to every quarter).

So,in my point of view,the "L" shaped one not as good as the "8" figure,at least for some orientations and location of the map(the mixed manor-fancy residence "L" block with the same orientation in my Saqqara worked fine with two fire houses,but they were in different locations).

The manor block posted above is not exactly as it was in the real city:I posted it that way because I think this will eliminate the irregular behavier of walkers.I made several in game changes to some buidings,and the exit/entry was located to the right of the first manor on the south-east half(beside the tax collector,the manor has been moved 1 tile left)--it was at the center at first.The tax collector was at the place now used by montury,because the embalmer will disappear half way though his clockwise walk towards south-east loop when it was placed at the center and there was a roadblock near its right hand side,the tax collector placed at the location of the current bazaar had his own strange taste:he only visit the north-western half of the block,if the entry/ exit is within 3 tiles to it--some of the C3/Pharaoh walkers have a different level of sensitivity toward the presence of (and distance to) roadblocks/gatehouses.The idea of "domain" can partially explain that,but not all-they will be influenced by a roadlock beyond 6 tiles,or even outside of the block.I have also exchanged the place of the Osiris/Ptah temple on the left half of the block,if not,several manors along the bottem of the block can only be visited by two gods(or lost the third god access temperarily).Besides of that,the Osiris temple in the southeast was actually had a road right at its southern edge.

About the somewhat strange locations of the buildings in the third block:That's not a standard design of a 8 block(or recommanded,actually none of these blocks are intended to be replicated).This is the conseqences of a in-game desicion:I found I would be in short for a few dozens of workers when the construction needs them,and the only place I can add more houses was that half made block(without food),I was not in the mood of restarting the game,so some of the building/houses are not at their "best" locations,but they worked.I've never used exactly the same block in different cities,even if when the size are the same,the buildings are usually at different locations.Every block is somewhat a new design--some of the designs may be done in the game--I think that's called "playing the game".

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-09-2002 @ 12:41 PM).]

posted 05-08-02 11:36 ET (US)     13 / 51  
Thanks Plebus

.. and congrats on your achievements!

I'd be interested in your cities (esp. Abedju), do you intend to submit any cities?

I stopped playing Pharaoh and joined some C3 Competitions.
Maybe I should try to improve my very old Abedju time - I was a rank beginner in Jan. 2000

posted 05-08-02 12:07 ET (US)     14 / 51  
Thanks to you too,Max! but no thanks because you are in my way again:I don't know how to do with your 76 months South Dashur(and don't know which city should I jump to-I'm afraid there also will be another "Max's impossible record" like "Rostja 224 months"...)I'll try it only when there is a patch which will makes "days' not months as the difference!

Seems my posts are way too long(and badly written) for you to follow every sentence within them...You'll see these cities in a few days,if the downloads are working well,not like C3's Heaven.

I'll be extremely surprised if you are not victorious in those C3 competitions

posted 05-08-02 12:58 ET (US)     15 / 51  
Hi Plebus,

I've wondered why the last mason is often far behind the others. Thanks for figuring it out. (Maybe now I'll sleep better. )

Tax collection "service" wears off faster than others (which makes sense--it's the only "service" that is harmful to residents). To keep the "service", a tax collector must pass each house every 3 months or so, as opposed to 6 months for most walkers (12 months for some with Bast's temple complex).

As you mentioned, more people are covered by each mortuary in your large blocks. In my opinion, that is (by far) their biggest advantage. Several of my recent cities have been limited by linen supplies. This becomes more important at higher difficulty levels.

Unfortunately, fire risk also increases at higher difficulty levels. As you noted, even at Hard difficulty, care must be taken to give good fire protection to schools, libraries, and maybe hunting lodges and cottages. I'd expect that it would be very difficult to avoid an occasional (though perhaps rare) fire in your large blocks at Very Hard difficulty.

About South Dahshur (where construction speed depends on river imports): have you read my Over quota river imports thread?

posted 05-08-02 13:19 ET (US)     16 / 51  
Brugle,

I'm almost sure that cottage level houses in my large block need at least 3 or 4 fire marshalls at vey hard(3 meight be enough if I had a better understanding of StephAmon's Quadramble" tables-if I can timeout each marshall's walk and visit frequency).In the 90/118k C3 cities,I have 5 pretectures in a "T" block and 6 for "Crufix" block when they are below hovel level.--I yet can't have a convincing explaination about occational fire in the normal size block when running at 100% speed in Pharoah.

In my memory,Bast's TC will increase the effect of some services(water,health,etc) from 6 months to 11 months.

I ran a few tests (and calculations) on South Dashur yesterday to see if I have a chance to beat Max's record--The answer is "maybe,but you need extremely good luck":The construction time without plainstone involved(the last three course and polishing) need about 14 months(can be a few days quicker or slower),with overquota feature used from the very first year,the last load of stone will only be imported through the first visit of Meidum's trade ship in the 13th year(61th months if lucky),Pharoah's gift is useless here--So even a flawless run will only result in 75+ months--more likely just like Max did-76 months:You now know why I feel desperate aboout that record.

One more question about overquota feature:I've tried to used it in Meidum,to import 2800 fish(2500 default),but only successful in some years,I managed to let the ship trade 2400 fish in their first 2 or 3 visits,but they rarely sell 400 more fish to me when I was micromanaging it(ironiacally enough,I almost always got the extra 300 fish in surprise!)--the dock would only deliver 100 fish when micromanaged to buy other goods when he leaves the dock(no taken back action monitored),can you explain that?or I missed some key points?

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-08-2002 @ 01:40 PM).]

posted 05-08-02 13:29 ET (US)     17 / 51  
I want to be sure that I understand this correctly. If there is a four-way intersection (two roads crossing) within the ‘domain’ of a structure (as defined by StephAmon in his posts), can we be sure that the walker will travel all four possible paths? Will three of the walks be toward the intersection, with the walker traveling all three roads on alternate turns, with one walk being away from the intersection?In the example below, can we be sure that the water carrier will travel all four paths indicated by the ‘plaza’ tiles?
GrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrass
GrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrass
GrassGrassGrassRoadWater SupplyGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadWater SupplyGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadWater SupplyGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaWater SupplyGrass
GrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrass
GrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrass
RoadRoadRoadPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaGrassGrassRoadRoadRoadPlazaRoadRoadRoadGrassGrassPlazaPlazaPlazaPlazaRoadRoadRoadGrassGrassRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoadRoad
GrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrass
GrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassPlazaGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassGrassRoadGrassGrassGrass

Vaia

[This message has been edited by VitruviusAIA (edited 05-08-2002 @ 01:29 PM).]

posted 05-08-02 14:27 ET (US)     18 / 51  
VAIA,

I can assure you that he will do so if the he can reach the maxinum distance for each direction(or there is a loop from each direction)-not on a short road or being roadblocked.StephAmon is correct about the walkers' routine at four way intersections:they make four counter-clockwise walk in a clockwise order:that's exactly what the water carrier did in my Harmanat.(IMHO,clockwise and counter clockwise are the two key words for the myths of walker agorithm,I don't think the walker knows directions as north/east/south/west)

I'm reading his thesis now,and I understand that most of his results are correct under that situations--you can see he succefully predicted some of the walkers in my "L" block,but that was the block have the simplest enviroment,the roadblock was far from the 4 way intersection and no other roads/intersections near that half of the block.I guess he would miss a few hits on the other two.

His "domain" hypothesis is also correct,at least partially,as I did let several C3 walkers's home located 3-4 tiles away to the T junctions and they are aware of the loops on the other side of the street.I haven't monitored pharaoh walkers much,but I can list a few C3 examples to counte his domain theory:a school will change their pattern with a gatehouse added into the loop(usually under 52 tiles),no matter how far away it is(far beyond 6 tiles),the actor from theatre can only see two direction even the theatre is located at 0 distance to the T or X cross,no matter which quadrant it is in,only a second actor generated from the same building(a "feature"),will see the third and sometimes fourth directions.Of course,these are unique 2x2 buildings,but I doubt whether the designer will write different code for these two buildings.

Both of the C3 and Pharaoh walker will sometimes perform "vapourising" at certain walks--I think they are related to the presence of roadblock/gatehouse nearby,but according to my limited observations,that
gatehouse/roadblock sometimes can be located oustside the range of 6 tile from their homes.

Another example which doubts the quadramble theory is:many times when I add roadtiles at existing road system(the most common instance is adding the stub road to hold a pavillion/bandstand in the loop,some walkers,most notably fire marshalls/architects,maybe others, will bump into that 1-2 tiles of road back and fourth many times(I call them "mad flies"),clearly they are "knowing" these new intersections or persistantly trying to go to the new diretion(I call that "the desire of exploring a wider world"-or the previous one:"they always try to cover a wider area than we wanted them to do).If the walkers' behavier is determined by the knowledge of the road before they are leaving their home and their home's domain is always determined by the size and location of the building,they should ignore what I was doing after that--actualy,they do ignore some new roads/blocked/non-blocked intesections.Otherwise,we would reach the conclusion that each walker will have a domain "on the move" and that moving domain is at least as important as their homes' static domain.

Also,the quadramble theory cannot explain the phenomenon of teleporting walkers and ghost walkers,but they should be the result of the same agorithm.

StephAmon's theory do has its jewels,but they need (much)more refinements,and what I can contribute now is no more than a few wild guess.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-08-2002 @ 02:41 PM).]

posted 05-08-02 16:15 ET (US)     19 / 51  
Plebus,

Now I see why you think Max's South Dahshur time record will stand. I usually prefer to spend my time (both design and play) on things other than speed, which is one reason I've never rebuilt a city to get a faster time.

Unlike damage risk (or Caesar III fire risk), Pharaoh fire risk has significant randomness. Sometimes a building increases fire risk rapidly, sometimes slowly. I have the impression that the fluxuations (as well as the average rate of increase) in fire risk increase as difficulty level increases, but that might easily be wrong. I put significantly more fire protection in my Djedu (at Very Hard difficulty) than in my earlier cities, but it may not be enough (although it ran OK for around 20 years) since I saw fire risk get quite high before a fireman walked by. My Bahariya Oasis (also at Very Hard difficulty) has even better fire protection (mainly through using smaller loops) and I hope to provide similar protection from now on, which would make it difficult to use your large blocks.

Of course, to maximize the coverage of a mortuary (and perhaps some other buildings), you'd want to use the "long loop" trick, with the embalmer's entry and exit points on opposite ends of the loop. (That trick also allows local blocks to be small enough to provide superior fire protection.)

I hadn't tried over quota fish imports, but I'd guess that fish would trade like other goods. Most of my over quota import experience has been with stone, since I was going for a (temporary) speed record in Rostja. In Rostja, I didn't have any trouble exceeding quotas with On ships, both importing limestone and exporting jewelry and gems, but I don't remember the details. I may never use over quota imports again, since I prefer to avoid micromanagement.

By the way, I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that different code is used for C3 schools, since their walkers are different from any others that I've seen.

[This message has been edited by Brugle (edited 05-08-2002 @ 04:23 PM).]

posted 05-08-02 23:33 ET (US)     20 / 51  
Brugle,

I think Pharoah handles risks in the same way,there are also randomness(if we can identify that was due to the risk increment itself not the walker's coverage) about architects/damage,but I only monitored once as the damage risk usually has a smaller increment:One of the shines in in the big manor block of Meidum once collaped which gave me a surprise,I loaded a save recorded just a month ago too see what was going on,I saw the damage column turned orange,but at the moment(day/months) that collapse happened,nothing happening,the architect came and saved it.Things are the same as malaria/desease,with the same setup of house/road/health facilities, the desease/malaria would break out in one run but nothing happens when I reload the save the other time without changing anything related to that.BTW,I was very suprised to see the huge difference of 2x2s and 1x1s on the risks related to health care(both increment and the effectiveness of walkers "service"),and the malaria risk can etend its influence 40 tiles away from the marsh.

I won't replay a scenario merely for speed either-always trying to find something interesting.As for these three cities,other than test the effectiveness of large multi-loop blocks,I would like to find the best way to reduce the negtive effect of ferry towards city life in Abedju,to test my hunting strategy in Saqqara.In Meidum,I want to see how Bast can help in building a large city and the best combination of camps/masons towards different phase of construction,etc.I won't replay South Dashur because I can't find an interest point there other than the speed ,which is blocked by Max.

I don't think C3 school are too special:they just release all four walkers at a time,presents its "quadramble" the other way.There are also variaties for each walker's direction and length(only shinked a little compare to normal walkers) according to their relative location and the nearby road network--as with other walkers,their behavier is "psydo-random":they won't change their behavier if you haven't changed the road. There should be no (big) differences concerning with the idea of "domain" and "quadrambles".

posted 05-09-02 01:05 ET (US)     21 / 51  
Plebus,

Build a series of potters (for example) without fire protection, and any of them could catch fire first. However, build a series of clay pits (for example) without damage protection, and the first one built will collapse first. Perhaps there is a tiny amount of randomness in damage risk, but maybe what you saw was architect randomness (or an artifact of reloading the game).

I wouldn't be surprised if C3 school kids had the same path algorithm as other walkers, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. After all, they are unique "random" walkers in at least 3 ways: simultaneous generation, shorter walks, and never return to the school. (They are also faster than most "random" walkers, but so are chariots.)

posted 05-09-02 01:37 ET (US)     22 / 51  
Hmmm...you are correct about fire,Brugle.

I'm now looking at North Dashur,the place where I stopped playing Pharaoh...As Max said it is possilbe to beat his 191 months,I might give it a try.It seems can only be done with a combination of both of your tricks:BSY and overquota,and some good luck on the timing of gifted stones.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-09-2002 @ 01:40 AM).]

posted 05-09-02 03:18 ET (US)     23 / 51  
VitruviusAIA:

You have it absolutely right. I second the assurance Plebus offers that the water carrier will begin the four walks of his quadramble along the initial paths that you show with plaza tiles in your glyphy. They will also do so in precisely the order you show from left to right in your figure with the result that the water carrier will head away from the intersection along the four roads in clockwise rotation. You have positioned the water supply sufficiently close to the four-way intersection that North could lie towards upper left, upper right, lower right, or lower left and the paths you show would still be taken, because the intersection would lie within the domain of the building if that domain were centered around any of the four squares covered by water supply. (Domains are centered around the northernmost square of a building.) The only thing that changes if you move the direction in which north lies would be how far the water carrier travels on each road (if they were straight rather than part of block structures) before reversing course and returning to his building.

If, however, you incorporate the four-way intersection within a double-block structure as Plebus showed us in the first of his figures (the L-block) then things change a little bit, but not too much for the worse. To make his L-block, Plebus had to introduce bends in two of the roads that were "in sight" of several of his service-providing buildings, if not always within the domain of those buildings. (Buildings unquestionably "see" outside of their domains when tweaking walk distances.) Those bends (or corners) qualify as two-way intersections, and differences of opinion (about what walkers should do) between them and the four-way intersection seem to be resolved according to the rules I described in the third of my posts that you cited earlier in this thread. Usually this only means that a walker ignores one road (for example, to the northeast) emerging from a four-way intersection and instead makes his walk to the northeast along the road in the direction emerging from a corner located nearer. In Plebus's first figure, this meant some bazaar sellers made two counter-clockwise trips around one of the blocks instead of clockwise trip followed by a counter-clockwise route. Usually not a significant problem.

Plebus:

Thank you for responding to my earlier reply. I'm not rudely neglecting your words. It's just that we have now entered the last week of classes here (late problem sets, make up quizzes, field trips in the at-last-half-decent weather), and I'm swamped. Moreover, you have given us so many extraordinary new insights (e.g., the wierd pavillion entrance) that it will take me a long while to digest it all.

In the meantime, I want to observe that you have an extraordinarily finely honed intuition regarding the behavior of walkers in this game. You seem to somehow sense properties of walk patterns that I only learned by watching unGodly numbers of dentists, physicians, and priests marching around bizzare geometries of hut-lined roads in the desert (and in Cleo's Alexandria). Two examples of the soundness of your instincts that led to your recommendations which I want visitors to the site to know that I corroborate are:

1. Keep road-blocked entrance points to blocks containing three-way and four-way intersections well away from those intersections. If the roadblocks are too close, they will cause one leg of all the walker quadrambles to shorten to a default length of 26 squares. Otherwise you are entitled to lengths of more like 34 squares (depending on how far the building is from the intersection, and in which direction relative to North). So, do like Plebus told you!

2. Long walkers, esp. firemen, are more reliable in servicing blocks fused through a four-way intersection if those blocks are big (50, 52, 54 squares for the perimeter road) than if they are small. The problem is that these long walkers are trying to get 51 squares (standard 34 bracketing squares plus the long-walker-extension factor of 17 squares) to the NE, SE, SW, and NW away from a target square near their buildings of origin. If they are asked to do so when directed into a block that is has a perimeter road of only 30 squares in length, they will return to the four-way intersection and overshoot it in an unpredictable direction. They must then waste time retracing their steps to the intersection before returning to their building before launching on the next walk in a predictable direction. In the meantime, stuff burns. I had to do a lot of searching to find a suitable square in the Grain contest (at the City-Building Contest site) for my only firehouse on the east side of the map that would give reliable coverage for the entire game because of this effect. Plebus speaks the truth. Make sure your four-way intersection services big blocks for best stability.

One of the few points upon which your intuition and my research results seem to disagree is in regards to the importance of the direction of North relative to any road geometry under discussion. Forgive my presumption for disputing the observations of a far more experienced player than myself, but IMHO North matters.

Bless you, bless you, bless you. What you have told us about the behavior of entertainers near pavillions is as welcome as bread and fishes to the starving. As soon as my exams are graded, I'm going back to my lab in Cleo's Alexandria to watch some entertainers walk.

Brugle:

Thank you for reply 15 to this thread. The difference b/w the 3- and 6- month service cycles was exactly the missing piece I needed to solve the puzzle.

StephAmon

posted 05-09-02 05:26 ET (US)     24 / 51  
Really a great tread !
For the random of service risk, i think in the there is a matrix in the computer memory to count each pass of service walker. When you load a game save this matrix will not be correctly initialized. So for example look to the overseas of firerisk and you see a house is near to get a fire, save the game then load a early Savegame where is no risk at the time you saved the game and you can see the house is now near to get fire.

Sorry about my english i hope you understand what i try to explain.

koppi

posted 05-11-02 14:55 ET (US)     25 / 51  
Hi StephAmon,

I'm reading your three thesis(it's a hard work for me,with so many informaitons,especially those tables),and I found some of my previous comments shot on your work are not fair.
Looking at the housing blocks I posted using your "eyes",most of the walkers' behavier are predictable(in your words--that's child's play) except for a few exceptions,if you have time,please download my Meidum and have a check,I recommand you looking for the physicians and montury in the L block,both of the walkers think the road to the southwest which will lead them to a clockwise walk though the left half of the block as an "illegal" direction and use a default short walk clokwisely(going NE then turing to NW at the X intersection),as if the the corner at the end of that short SW road is considered as a roadblock.The physician's behaivier is more strange,although the X intersection is within his domain,and the L corner down the SE road is beyond the range of 6 tiles,he take that road as "illegal" as well!There are more bizaar behaviers can be spotted in the manor block,due to the presence of that roadblock.The Physician in the third block( who you had predicted according to a rotated glyph) displayed a more interesting pattern,due to the existence of an outside road which lead to it's #1 reture tile,two of the four walks are unusual:he use an long walk(90 tiles) for his SW patrol,and a shortened one for NE(another 26 tile walk to the NE can be predicted as the placeholder for non-exist NW direction).Removeing the connection to its outside finishing tile will set his SW walk back to normal,but won't affect his decision on the shortened walke towards NE-the reason behind this decision is not clear to me.

I also recommand Max's Heh and Baki to you,you can see how walkers handling two T intersections(actually three,the other one is the straight road infront of the buildings) within their "domain",and what they will do in a more confusing situation(the water carrier in Heh).

As suggestions(hope they won't disrupt your systematic studies),I hope you would make more investigations on the unusal part of behaviers of the walkers,they will reveal the truth behind the disguise of randemness--in a more simple and comprehensive form,not hundreds of variation tables--as you have said,there are no randemness(or "free will") in their behavier.The first case is the example given by VAIA in one of his replies about the unusual long travel distance of a water carrier when the starting and finishing tiles are only connected by a long path though a maze:I think this means the bulding will consider how starting and ending of its each walk first(above all consideration on quadrambles),in deciding it,it will extend its sight far beyond 6 tiles,and the corners which form a full "loop" have dominated his decisions.--I think buidlings will also do the same thing when in normal conditions,but we don't know how they are doing it.The second case is your "free will test",what makes the fire marshall neglect the presence of the northeast road?Clearly he sees that road(since he sees the SE road),but what makes up the decision of not going down that road?from how far away will he not neglecting it anymore?is there a directional difference?perhaps there will be a 'weak domain"(or possibly multiple steps of domain) can be discovered from that investigation which will be helpful when handling more complicated road systems.

I'm afraid you'll experience difficulties in watching the entertainers:The 64 days show times will contantly be reset due to the arrival of new actors,and that will(probably) change the legs of the quadramble being generated.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 05-11-2002 @ 09:22 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » 3 new speed record and 3 new blocks
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames