Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: God issues
posted 12-18-09 06:10 ET (US)   
Hello all (first post here)

I'm having a very odd problem playing pharaoh these days. Initially the gods behaved normally with their blessings and curses. Now, for some reason, their mood gets better and the don't bless me, or even when their mood goes bad, they won't curse. I have almost near perfect coverage according to the guides put up here (great help), but still no dice. I'm guessing its some sort of game engine problem or something. Can someone help me out with this ?

edit: also, tried a reinstall, and imported my save games, and still the issue persists

[This message has been edited by tepes789 (edited 12-18-2009 @ 06:12 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-18-09 06:36 ET (US)     1 / 11  
No blessings could be explained by not having a festival square or not throwing festivals, but no curses is strange. Did you try to make a fresh start in a scenario instead of loading an old (and possibly corrupted) save? Note that curses and blessings are random, even when gods are very mad or very pleased, you need not get an immediate response from them, they are, as gods often are, unpredictable.
posted 12-18-09 07:30 ET (US)     2 / 11  
Well i get gods aren't always very giving, but i haven't been blessed for 5 missions now. Not one blessing or curse. Also, i started a new campaign, and noticed that even when the gods' mood is good, the walkers still complain about the gods' fiery wrath ! can't figure out what the hell is going on !

[This message has been edited by tepes789 (edited 12-18-2009 @ 07:31 AM).]

posted 12-18-09 09:58 ET (US)     3 / 11  
I don't have Pharaoh handy right now, so I can't check, but is there an option to turn god effects off? In Caesar 3 the option appears when you select 'Difficulty'from the 'Options' menu. I may be way out but...
posted 12-18-09 12:09 ET (US)     4 / 11  
Hi tepes789, welcome to Pharaoh Heaven.

Another report of gods not giving blessings or curses is My Gods have gone away....me sad . Unfortunately, no solution to the problem was reported.

If it isn't hard to do, you might try installing Pharaoh on another computer but not restoring your saved games, and see if you get curses and blessings (using the victory cheat to advance to the same missions). If that works, then you could restore the saved games and see if that makes any difference.

By the way, I've seen several reports of people complaining about a god being unhappy in a mission where that god isn't worshiped, but no problems were apparently caused. As long as you are having more serious god problems, I don't suppose this matters much.
is there an option to turn god effects off?
There isn't any interface to change that option, but I'd guess that the code to ignore gods is still there. Maybe the flag for that option has been set, somehow.
posted 12-18-09 12:37 ET (US)     5 / 11  
You do not mention festivals, if you don't give a festival, blessings will stop.

I wouldn't mind too much about what people are saying, if you have some experience as (enlightened) ruler, you will know they always complain, regardless of whether they have cause to .

The advice stands, play a new map and try to force a blessing.
posted 12-18-09 14:54 ET (US)     6 / 11  
Ah, so i'm not the only one facing this problem.Nah, won't be able to do a re install and work it.. Dunno, you guys have ideas on how to deal with something like this ? something in the codes bit maybe. And, i hold festivals often, as often as i can. This really messes up the gameplay, no more bast blessings... Damn !

Edit : tried using the god cheats. Still nothing

[This message has been edited by tepes789 (edited 12-18-2009 @ 03:36 PM).]

posted 12-19-09 03:36 ET (US)     7 / 11  
What is the problem in doing a reinstall? If the code worked before, it should work again if you take care to remove the old installation. It's very unlikely this is caused by some update of your operating system, though not fully impossible. You might try running at compatibility mode, or as Brugle suggested, try a different PC (if you don't have one, maybe one of your friends will allow you to install the code just for testing purposes).

Even if you cannot make it work, the game isn't ruined by the absence of blessings. I have a personal rule to play without blessings and temple complex bonus, and I managed all missions at very hard. It's a different game I admit, but definitely not a mission impossible.
posted 12-19-09 07:16 ET (US)     8 / 11  
I totally agree on a game without gods. Heck, its actually a little better. Question, its easy to restore savegames right ? Coz if it is, i'll remove the game completely, and try a fresh install. Take care or reg entries et all..
posted 12-19-09 09:47 ET (US)     9 / 11  
Yes, it's easy enough. Just move your save folder (with its family name subfolders) out of the Pharaoh directory (perhaps to your desktop) before removing the game, then move it back in when you've reinstalled, overwriting the save folder put there by the installer. However, before you reinstate your old saves, I would try playing without them to eliminate the possibility that they are causing the problem.

Good luck
posted 12-19-09 12:11 ET (US)     10 / 11  
Hey, the gods are back. I uninstalled, removed EVERY sierra entry, and since was running the game off an image file, made a new one with my good old pharaoh disc. Copied all the saves, and now , the gods when pissed curse, when happy bless.. yeah !
posted 12-20-09 08:39 ET (US)     11 / 11  
I don't know why you are soo keen on gods. sure they give some good blessings, my two favourites being the ole BBB and Ra's KR blessing both of which have helped me considerably in some of the missions. BUT religion is such a drain on the economy.

Temples require workers and shrines are very expensive and both take up space. I would mch rather not have to spend money, space or precious, precious labour on the temperamental egyption gods.
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » God issues
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames