Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Taxes
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-05-00 14:00 ET (US)   
What is the highest tax revenue you've been able to impose without your citizens getting unhappy and leaving?

I have some folks in common residences who are very happy with me after a few years at 20% tax rates- mind you, I'm paying them 40 debens (kingdom + 10) but fiscally it is very healthy.

--Jimhotep

Replies:
posted 05-05-00 14:15 ET (US)     1 / 34  
Grumpus' site has a chart by Bradius, summarizing the game's tax/sentiment data. It's very interesting (located here: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/2974/pharaoh/data/data.html

I haven't gone looking for the wage/sentiment data, but it is definately true that wages have a greater sentiment impact per deben than do taxes (I've never understood why the program doesn't just calculate wages net of taxes and base sentiment on that figure).

If you have the patience for it (I don't), taxes can be switched on only for the 16th workday of each month, largely removing any sentiment side-effects (this trick was discovered by Bradius -- I've only tested it once to confirm that it works).

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 05-05-2000).]

posted 05-05-00 15:34 ET (US)     2 / 34  
Actually, check your Pharaoh directory for the file "Tax_Sentiment_Model*.txt" (the * means that there are one for each difficulty, look at the one that suits you...

Here is a draft out of the Hard Difficulty anyway... in the file it goes all the way up to 25% but I only listed it up to 11% bacause there aren't that many players who uses a higher level.

TAX RATE AND CITY WIDE TAX COVERAGE EFFECTS ON CITY SENTIMENT ROWS REPRESENT TAX RATE

COLUMNS REPRESENT CITY WIDE TAX COVERAGE AS FOLLOWS:
<0%,<10%,<20%,<30%,<40%,<50%,<60%,<70%,<80%,<90%,<=100%,,

0% 2
2 2 2 2 2 2 2
1% 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1
2% 2 21 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
3% 2 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0
4% 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5%
0 -1 -1 -1 0 0 0 0
6% 2 1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 0 -1
7% 2 0 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
8% 2 0 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
9% 2 0 0 -1 -1 -2 -2 -1 -1 -1 -1
10% 2 0 -1 -1 -1 -2 -2 -2 -1 -2 -2
11% 2 0 -1 -1 -2 -3 -3 -2 -2 -2 -2

there...

Moquel

The trouble with being punctual is that there's nobody there to appreciate it. " -Franklin P. Jones

Visit my Homepage

Moquel, nothing really bad, but you shouldn't put linebreaks in tables, the forum puts them all before the table proper.

You should have seen my first housing glyph post

A
ngel
J
ahakemhotep
Have you consulted the Pharaoh FAQs today?

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 05-05-2000).]

posted 05-05-00 15:48 ET (US)     3 / 34  
On the map I'm currently playing, I'm paying 40 debens wages and I'm taxing at 18%. Everyone is "very pleased". I have two palatial estates and the rest of the city is fancy residences (mostly).

I have found that you can tax very high (18% or higher) if you pay high wages (39 debens or higher). It doesn't seem to matter what level your housing is currently at. I'll have to see how high I can tweak it (45 debens wages with 25% taxes?). Of course, you have to keep in mind what the rest of the Kingdom is paying. If Kingdom wages go up, you would need to raise yours accordingly to maintain the same sentiment in your city.

Keep working at it and I'll do the same and we'll see how high we can go with taxes! We could make the IRS look like a bunch of wimps!

Yours Truly,

Davidicus Rex

posted 05-05-00 15:52 ET (US)     4 / 34  
Ummm... if any sort of Forum Admin could fix my post I would be ever grateful...
posted 05-05-00 15:58 ET (US)     5 / 34  
Done.
See comments
A
ngel
J
ahakemhotep

------------------
Homage to thee, Osiris, Lord of Eternity, King of the Gods, whose names are manifold, whose forms are holy, thou being of hidden form in the temples, whose Ka is holy."
-- Book of the Dead (1240 BC)

posted 05-05-00 16:04 ET (US)     6 / 34  
Ahhh... So that's where I went wrong... well, I'll try to do better next time

BTW... why do you put your sig in a message you edit for someone else? For some reason I find it very amusing

[This message has been edited by Moquel (edited 05-05-2000).]

posted 05-05-00 16:14 ET (US)     7 / 34  
Normally I don't I just wanted to tease you
And pull attention to the comments I made... Everybody using tables falls for this little trick at least once
A
ngel
J
ahakemhotep

------------------
Homage to thee, Osiris, Lord of Eternity, King of the Gods, whose names are manifold, whose forms are holy, thou being of hidden form in the temples, whose Ka is holy."
-- Book of the Dead (1240 BC)

posted 05-05-00 17:12 ET (US)     8 / 34  
Davidus Rex,

My citizens oscillate between very pleased and extremely pleased. I wonder why they can't make up their minds?

I imposed a 20/Kingdom+10 fiscal regime on a late save in Rostja... they loved me for it. They lived in ordinary cottages, which would tend to support the theory that housing levels don't matter.

My numbers indicate that you should not try high taxes and wages on low level housing; the tax multiplier is so low that wages increase faster than taxes do!

Unemployment is bad for sentiment. But if your hut dwellers aren't taxed they are your fans if at least a few of them get paid well.

An aging population is good: you pay a lower proportion of wages in relation to the taxes you get!

A few things I don't understand: sometimes when sentiment starts to fall (from idolize to love) it will stabilize; other times it will continue to fall. Why?

Sometimes sentiment will change one step every month, other times it is once every three months. Why?

Finally, two impressions: festivals don't affect city sentiment, and people are happier if there is a surplus of food.

--Jimhotep

posted 05-05-00 17:52 ET (US)     9 / 34  
Taxes again! For those that like to tax, you can (on hard) tax at 12% and pay +2 debens over prevailing kingdom wages and you should be fine (assuming reasonable employment,etc.). If you pay a little more, you might be able to kick it up to 14%, but I haven't tested it except for some short periods and that was fine. You can also tax a small percentage of the population a large amount. If you have a few luxury estates and everybody else in cottages or something, then it very well is likely that you will make off like a bandit taxing only the estates at 25% and not having any tax collectors in the rest of the city. If you get above 19% of the population being taxed 25%, watch out (unless you try the micromanaging trick JWorth mentioned). I suggest just going with 12% tax and +2 wages.

Bradius offline

[This message has been edited by Bradius (edited 05-05-2000).]

posted 05-05-00 20:00 ET (US)     10 / 34  
Bradius,

This was on hard, 95% tax coverage, and there was no problem with a 20% tax rate; one city loved me, another alternated between very pleased and extremely.

There *is* something else going on, however; I can't tax my citizens that high at the beginning of the game, even if I pay them Kingdom+30. I hypothesize it is the availability of food, but I'm not sure.

I don't suppose there are numbers somewhere analogous to the Tax Sentiment model, but for wages, is there? Or known ways in which unemployment, religion, crime, etc affect (or don't affect) sentiment? Besides the percentage tax coverage, that is.

--Jimhotep

posted 05-06-00 01:44 ET (US)     11 / 34  
On the contest map, Dwa-Khemet, I have had taxes up as high as 25% while paying out 47 debens wages, and the population vacilates between extremely pleased to loving. Since this is the first time I have played with taxes this high, I'm not so sure I could get away with this on other maps.

I am playing at the hard level, have two palatial estates and mostly fancy residences, with a population of just over 5,300.

Yours Truly,

Davidicus Rex

posted 05-06-00 07:57 ET (US)     12 / 34  
Jimhotep:

To be honest, I really haven't paid at super high wages to see if it would counteract high taxes. I seem to have thought that there was an upper limit to the people's sentiment for paying higher wages. Maybe I am getting confused with C3, most likely I am. Using your observation, you could actually achieve a way to offset a -6 tax sentiment. The only way I could figure out to offset that much negative vibes was by the tax switch during the month. I can see now that I have a task for today to see if I can duplicate what you did. Then we need to figure out if it is worth paying super high wages to bring in even more in tax income. I have a great city to test some ideas like this on, so I had better get busy.

Also, I don't know any model tables that give us the data on the exact positive effects of paying above standard wages. However, that is not to say that by testing many different ways that we can't come up with the formula simply by observation.

Bradius

posted 05-06-00 10:58 ET (US)     13 / 34  
I was wondering, do the taxes make up for the increase of wages?
Da Pharaoher
From the Field of Reeds
posted 05-06-00 12:10 ET (US)     14 / 34  
Note: somewhat adjusted. See my reply

Ok, here is my first table! It lists the effects of taxes, wages, and a few other things on city sentiment. The setting is for hard, and tax coverage is assumed to be 100%.

Here's how you use it: add up the factors corresponding to the tax/wage regime you are using. This is the number of steps your sentiment will move in a five month period. They start from indifferent, and in the positive direction move to pleased, very pleased, extremely pleased, love you, idolize you as a god. In the negative direction they become annoyed, then very annoyed, and start leaving your city.

Factors affecting City Sentiment
Tax RateEffectWage RateEffect
0+220-3
1+121-2
2+122-2
3023-2
4024-2
5025-2
6-126-1
7-127-1
8-128-1
9-129-1
10-2300
11-231+1
12-332+2
13-333+3
14-434+4
15-435+4
16-536+4
17-537+4
18-638++5
19-6Unemployment
20-6 up to 10%0
21-710 to 20%-2
22-720 to 40%-3
23-740% or more-4
24-7Other factors
25-8
Pop under 200Pop under 300food,water and entertainmentunknown (maybe +1?)
pleasedindifferentfestival

--Jimhotep

p.s.

if you notice any errors, please let me know!

Strange...it seems to fall back to the Default Font. It might be the style tag..
There was a colon where there should be a semi-colon in the style one, between the size and face tags.

Weird, I removed the style one and it didn't change...

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 05-07-2000).]

posted 05-06-00 12:40 ET (US)     15 / 34  
Do you mean that up to 50% to few workers actually raise city sentiment?

BTW... What do you mean by Vacancies?

posted 05-06-00 13:10 ET (US)     16 / 34  
Jimhotep,

Thank you! I've been wondering about the specifics of this for a while.

As always , I have a couple of questions.

I think that there's an additional positive step, "very pleased", between pleased and extremely pleased.

Did you check for any effects of crime on sentiment? How about health?

Is some minimum level of entertainment required for the bonus, or will anything do?

Thanks again. This is very helpful stuff.

-- JWorth

posted 05-06-00 14:00 ET (US)     17 / 34  
Jimhotep:

An excellent set of tables. I can't fully verify everything in the table, but it looks close. I was able to safely tax at 21% with like 95% of my population with a tax rate of 39 debens (+9 over kingdom rates). I seemed to have a slight problem at 38, but then I needed more housing, so maybe the vacancy rule gave me a plus one. What I guess we are seeing is that with careful management, you should be able to take a -6 sentiment hit and maybe even a -7. If you can take a -7 sentiment, then you could tax between 90% and 99% of your population at 24% on hard difficulty!, Though I would suggest limiting it to 21% tax on 90%-99% of your people on hard difficulty, which is a -6 sentiment hit.

Also, Jimhotep, did you have to have everyone receive food and water to get the +1 effect?

JWorth, you are right, there is very pleased rating in there. I am not sure about health and crime as I had both well covered in my testing. When I taxed high though, I did have some minor crime problems even with good police coverage. This just seemed more an effect of my extortion and reflecting the fact that the people were ticked with me.

Also, they left in droves at annoyed or very annoyed and came back when it rose to indifferent - I think

Da Pharaoher, in most all cases it is cheaper to pay higher wages to get more tax income. This of course depends on the level of housing that you have. What I tend to do is to increase wages in the labor advisor and see how much extra it is costing me in expected wages, and then go to the commerce advisor and see how much more I expect to get in increased tax income.

Also, I can verify at least that I did not get any benefit for taxing above +9 debens from kingdom. I am not sure about +8 from my tests.

Moquel, by vacancies, Jimhotep is I think referring to a "for sale" lot sign. However, he may just mean that there is some room for immigrants in the city. It did seem to me that people were slightly happier when there was a for sale sign, but I couldn't measure it really - just a hunch.

Bradius

[This message has been edited by Bradius (edited 05-06-2000).]

posted 05-06-00 14:18 ET (US)     18 / 34  
Moquel,

I think the vacancies and underemployment bonuses are mistakes.

You see, I had let a city's sentiment run down until the people started leaving in droves. Suddenly, the city sentiment changed from "very annoyed" to "indifferent." I interpreted this as being due to the huge shortfall in workers (if unemployment causes a sentiment penalty, why shouldn't a worker shortage give a bonus?).

But I think what I saw was something different; what I didn't realize was that for populations between 200 and 300, the sentiment is always "indifferent." Further work determined that what I thought was an effect due to houses filling up was actually the population increasing to 200.

I've amended the table accordingly.

Most of the data was derived from a test city of 396 people; but when I withdrew food, I think my population may have fallen into the area where the "small population cap" gives out.

Hmmm. That means that the result of withdrawing food will be bad, since the population will have dropped below 300...

I'm taking out the food/entertainment thing, until it can be verified.

JWorth,

My block had physician and police coverage. When it had entertainment and food, the entertainment was a bandstand with entertainers. (Overkill, but I was fighting unemployment!)

Bradius,

You will notice that crime indicators rise much faster when city sentiment is low. I think crime is a side effect of city sentiment, not a contributing factor to it.

--Jimhotep

[This message has been edited by Jimhotep (edited 05-06-2000).]

posted 05-06-00 16:16 ET (US)     19 / 34  
Well, my observations (not near so detailed) were made with a city of around 9,000. Obviously, it is harder to get everything exact on a larger city, but the city was very stable and rather easy to control. To verify that sentiment didn't drop I observed the city for 2 years. For example, I ran the city with a 39 deben wages, 21% tax rate while taxing about 95% of the people without any decline in sentiment.

Bradius

Well, I tried it again. I ended up going from extremely pleased to pleased over 1 year and 5 months paying 39 debens and taxing 96% at 21% with near full employment (2%). And I ended up going form extremely pleased to pleased over 2 years paying 38 debens and taxing 96% of the people at 21% using the same starting point. I am now not sure there really is much of a difference between 38 and 39 debens. This time I held no festivals at all and none had been made in some time, if at all.

posted 05-06-00 16:56 ET (US)     20 / 34  
Bradius,

A city of 9000!?

I suppose if I hadn't bogged down in my own campaign, I'd be making those kind of cities too.

I don't quite understand the food/entertainment thing. The last map I looked at made me think it is only food that you need to get that point- not entertainment. Nobody actually has to *get* any food- the sentiment dropped until I built a hunting lodge, then stayed firm for about a year. Hmmm. Maybe something else is going on?

Whatever else is going on, it will certainly be going on in your city of 9000. So that's +1. If you have 99% tax coverage at 21% taxes, there is only a -6 hit? I thought it had to anything over 90% would be a -7. -6 it is...

+1 (food) +5 (high wages) -6 (high taxes) = zero = no change in sentiment, as you have observed.

I have the feeling that I'm close with this sentiment model, but not dead on. Thank goodness there are folks like you in the forum to help get this thing the rest of the distance!

Regards,

Jimhotep

[This message has been edited by Jimhotep (edited 05-06-2000).]

posted 05-06-00 18:25 ET (US)     21 / 34  
Bradius,

In regard to this trick about upping the tax rate on the last day of the month- how can you tell when that day arrives? Do you count how many squares a walker goes? Or do you keep a constant eye on a factory's production percentage, or what?

--Jimhotep

posted 05-06-00 20:55 ET (US)     22 / 34  
Jimhotep:

I went back to the tax sentiment model text file to check it out again. It is strange on hard it is -7 for several places, then -6 from greater than 90 to less than 100 and -7 again for equal to 100. I just saw the -6 in the percentage of population I was taxing and figured that might be possible. I do know that I was still getting a slight drop in public sentiment at 38-39 debens - basically 2 categories over 2 years. I am guessing that with some festivals that this can be overcome (hopefully not the lavish). But maybe that is the extra minus (i.e. maybe I am getting a -7). I do feel certain that I am not oberving any benefit going to higher wage rates on sentiment in my testing so far. I finally found out though that wages can go up to 100 debens! Wow.

Don't get too excited about the size of the city, it is just one of several. This one is just nice and stable with a good mix of luxury estates and other housing (mainly fancy residences). I have a few around 20,000 people. I haven't gone for a huge population map of say 50,000+ people. I will say that the logistics of building that size of a city can get interesting and create whole new sets of problems. The problem with using a large city though is that so many other things may be affecting the results. However, it is good in that we are testing things using vastly different cities.

In regard to the tax loophole. I just kept my city at a fairly slow pace (60% on my computer) and just kept track of the time myself. However, when doing other stuff it got easy to forget wha was going on. Usually I would boost it back to 12% a little over halfway through the month (so I wouldn't miss a whole month of taxes!) and then 25% about 3/4 ths through the month. It generally worked fairly well. I am not as adept at detail micromanaging as some others. This was really one of my first such experiments.

Bradius

posted 05-06-00 21:30 ET (US)     23 / 34  
I just tried testing at 18% taxes with 96% being taxed with +8 wages ( a -5 sentiment effect at hard). My sentiment was stable with no losses during the 2 year observation. Actually it increased from "people are extremely pleased" to "People Love You" in the 25th month. So, I think that a -5 sentiment is about the highest you can take with just using wages to offset. I think you can go up to -6 if you have a few festivals. I am not sure about -7 or higher unless you go to micromanaging taxes during the month.

In any event this little excersize has convinced me that you can pull in many more debens than I thought by raising wages to +8 or +9 over kingdom. In a good, sound city this translates into lots more income.

Bradius

posted 05-07-00 00:51 ET (US)     24 / 34  
Jimhotep,

It requires paying some attention to, because the timers reset when a new entertainer arrives from a school, but the "performance days remaining" figure at a venue functions as a game timer, where there are 32 performance days in a month, or 2 per work day.

-- JWorth

posted 05-14-00 18:31 ET (US)     25 / 34  
Inspired by this thread, I tested the wages on Very hard difficulty. The result is somewhat different from Jimhotep's results on Hard difficulty. In the testing, Kingdom actually payed 28, but the results show the wage as if Kingdom payed 30 (added 2 to each wage number). Here goes:

23 -3
24 -3
25 -2
26 -2
27 -1
28 -1
29 -1
30 0
31 1
32 2
33 2
34 2