Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: About Changing Unit Attributes
posted 10-12-05 06:23 AM ET (US)   

I had found that AOE2 saved game is able to keep some changes made by GeniED2 (a program that can alter unit attributes in AOK and SW:GB) sometimes ago. You can read my thread in AokH through this link:

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,34981,,all

And, when having a conversion with Richard, I suddenly realise that I should try the same with AOE1, too. (only the unit attribute alteration has to be done by hex-editing) The result is: a AOE1 saved game is also capable of keeping unit attributes altered through hex-editing!

I know that both sending your campaign with an altered dat file or making your scenario into a saved game are annoying for both designers and players, but it is something your must sacrifice in exchange for editing unit attributes.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-12-2005 @ 06:24 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-12-05 07:34 AM ET (US)     1 / 11  
I'm against it. If you look at these threads in the General AOE/ROR forum, you'll see that you just can't be perfect when altering units. For example, giving the camel +3 attack would make it a useful unit - and cavalry a useless one.

While sausages are tasty, you might cut your finger with that pencil over there.
posted 10-12-05 10:59 AM ET (US)     2 / 11  
That's exactly why I put it in SD forum - not to make a more balance random map game, but possibly a rpg scenario with other kind of hero.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-12-2005 @ 11:06 AM).]

posted 10-12-05 11:16 AM ET (US)     3 / 11  
Well, that is a better idea than trying to balance the game.

It should remain difficult to do though - otherwise every newbie could change the stats for units and the downloads section would be flooded with 1500 attack centurions versus -1 attack clubmen scenarios I fear.

While sausages are tasty, you might cut your finger with that pencil over there.
posted 10-12-05 11:34 AM ET (US)     4 / 11  
It is undoubtedly difficult. I just want to post the news here, and do request if anyone asked me to, until I have the time to write a tutorial, guide or something.

Quote:

It should remain difficult to do though - otherwise every newbie could change the stats for units and the downloads section would be flooded with 1500 attack centurions versus -1 attack clubmen scenarios I fear.

Not "Fall of the Newbs", but "Rise of the Newbs".

posted 10-12-05 03:18 PM ET (US)     5 / 11  
I think a saved game file can have tremendous possibilities. Examples
-"Save Game" only tricks. Example - predamaged buildings, preloaded transports.
-Cheats e.g. E=MC2 can be used for a surprising effect
-Can alter unit stats to change gameplay a lot

The disadvantage is that it's in save game format - I'm not sure of any bugs with this format, but the scenario instructions are still there, so it's really not that different to a normal scenario.

Richard Wilde
rswilde01(at)gmail(dot)com
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
Review Thread - AoKH - GenieWiki
posted 10-14-05 03:22 PM ET (US)     6 / 11  
How do I change unit attributes, and where can i download the hex editor, or whatever you need?
posted 10-14-05 03:59 PM ET (US)     7 / 11  
You'll have to read a guide and download the right programs if you want to learn about changing their properties, or maybe ask scenario_t_c to do it for you. We haven't got an 'editor' at this stage so it won't be easy, I sure don't know how to do it.

Exactly which attributes are kept for a save game? I know it stores things like attack and HP, but what are all the things we can change - there are quite a lot of other interesting statistics, like those relating to priests for example, that should also be changable. Would it also be possible to change attack bonuses rather than attack?

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 10-15-05 04:50 AM ET (US)     8 / 11  
You mean, something like giving Hittite a +5 attack for archers?

posted 10-15-05 05:07 AM ET (US)     9 / 11  
All units attributes visible on the screen (movement speed, attack and range) can be altered in a saved game. If you intend to replace the dat, you can edit everything, including where the unit is built and the effects of a technology.

It is possible to add bonus, but only the bonus target should be pre-definied by the game if you are using saved game. It is impossible to add new bonus target in a saved game.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-15-2005 @ 05:09 AM).]

posted 10-15-05 05:17 AM ET (US)     10 / 11  
Would it be possible to make swordsmen have regular attack but a higher bonus against buildings for saved game?

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 10-15-05 05:54 AM ET (US)     11 / 11  
If some units already have bonus towards building in the normal game, then it is possible.
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » About Changing Unit Attributes
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames