Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unit names: How to override language.dll
posted 06-11-10 08:11 PM ET (US)   
Overriding the language.dll may be useful in some cases where you are making a data mod and also changing unit names, as you only need to include empires.dat.

However, this is useless when you want to change other things that are stored in language.dll, such as if you want to change the fonts or something. Then it's better to do renaming and stuff in language.dll.

Override language.dll for units:
Copy the the following entries from the unit you want to change and paste in patches:

_name_language:
_name_length:
_name:

Set _name_language: 0
Also, _name_length: has to be one more than the actual length of the name, which you enter in

_name:

Example:

civ_0_unit_0_name_language: 0
civ_0_unit_0_name_length: 11
civ_0_unit_0_name: West Point

This overrides the name of Academy for the gaia civ, and renames it West Point.
Notice "West Point" only has 10 characters, but you have to put 11 in name_length.
Avoid making names longer than 23 characters.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
The best stuff I made for Age of Empires:
 Composite Editor 1.1 Rated 5.0 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (Utility)
 Coke vs. Pepsi Rated 4.4 ★ ★ ★ ★ ⅖ (Multi player scenario)
 The Map of the World (Real world map)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by zapdotep (edited 06-11-2010 @ 08:12 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-12-10 11:08 AM ET (US)     1 / 4  
This way you can actually give every civ it's own name for the same unit, if I understand it correctly?
posted 06-12-10 06:00 PM ET (US)     2 / 4  
This has been known for quite some time, I believe Trisolo had explained it some time ago, though nobody has had the time to implement it.

Yes Thompson, this could give all civs unique names for the same units, but that could also have been done by changing the language.dll string number within the unit data.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 06-13-10 06:19 AM ET (US)     3 / 4  
Yes, but that means that you have to add more dll lines if you want a lot of names. I know this is possible, but I think making the names in the data file is easier. Thanks Zappy and Frukty. This is the answer I was hoping for Zap.
posted 06-22-10 01:26 PM ET (US)     4 / 4  
Does this also work for technologies, so that you can make new technames (without help text of course)?

[This message has been edited by Thompsoncs (edited 06-22-2010 @ 01:27 PM).]

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Unit names: How to override language.dll
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames