Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: It's Beautiful!
posted 01-15-12 00:40 AM ET (US)   
So you play AoE on Windows 7 fine.... except the water is messed up.

Well no more! This is easier than DLing the .exe from the AoK Heaven forums that supposedly fixes any directdraw game, and is way easier than killing explorer.exe.

Want to hear it?

Ok, this is in 2 steps.

Step 1: Right click the shorcut, go to properties, and then compatibility. Check the following boxes:

~Run in 256 colours
~Disable Visual Themes
~Disable desktop composition
~Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings
~Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 95

YOU ARE NOT DONE YET, THE WATER WILL STILL BE BAD!

Step 2:

Launch the program. Then alt-tab out and right-click on the desktop. Select "Screen Resolution". Leave it open, then alt-tab back into the game.

The water will now be as beautiful as you remember it! This also works for the purple water and red grass in AoK.

Drawbacks:

~Sometimes icons on your desktop will randomly reshuffle because of this (I don't know why, but it happens)

~Sometimes the water will randomly revert back to the "messed-up" star-ey water. Just alt-tab out again, close screen resolution, and re-open it again and alt-tab back. It should be fixed again.

~I encountered a time in AoK (not AoE-but it may occur in AoE too) when the above would not work. When that happens click the "Advanced Settings" button in the screen resolution dialogue and change the resulting dialogue to "Monitor" tab. Then alt-tab back.

~If that then get's reverted after 10mins, then try both my second and third dot point under "Drawbacks". One of them will work.

Much easier than killing Explorer.exe, and now the water is good again!

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
Replies:
posted 01-15-12 00:42 AM ET (US)     1 / 9  
By the way, it is not the simple action of the alt-tabbing that fixes it, or the action of opening something in the background. For some reason it's just "Screen Resolution" that works.

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
posted 01-15-12 04:16 AM ET (US)     2 / 9  
Actually I think I've heard of this before, and I'm not sure if all those compability settings are really necessary. Other than that I still think the DirectDraw Patcher is still a better option.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 01-15-12 06:06 PM ET (US)     3 / 9  
Some of them are, I tried it without compatibility and the screen resolution trick didn't work. Besides, what would you rather:

~DL a strange .exe

OR

~Alt-tab and open a dialogue box

posted 01-15-12 06:19 PM ET (US)     4 / 9  
Because screenshot do work properly I never really minded the strange water. I don't like it, but I don't think it's worth doing all these things everytime you start the game.
posted 01-15-12 09:57 PM ET (US)     5 / 9  
You only have to do the compatibility stuff once, afterwards it's saved with the shortcut.

And screenshots don't work at all for me. Like, they turn out as a giant black rectangle with only the text present.

posted 01-16-12 03:38 AM ET (US)     6 / 9  
For screenshots you need to make a registry fix or use ctr+F12
posted 01-16-12 03:09 PM ET (US)     7 / 9  
Some of them are, I tried it without compatibility and the screen resolution trick didn't work. Besides, what would you rather:

~DL a strange .exe

OR

~Alt-tab and open a dialogue box
Well, since the second option will have to be done each time I boot the game, while the other one only needs to be run once I think I prefer the first one. The source seems trustworthy enough for me, but what you choose to do is up to you.

However, I don't recall having to run the program in compability mode while I was doing it this way. These things seem to vary a lot between computers.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 01-16-12 07:31 PM ET (US)     8 / 9  
Yeah, I have another computer which doesn't require any of this, and alt-tabbing alone fixes it (win7 64bit as well lol, with pretty much the same CPU and everything).

posted 01-22-12 05:43 PM ET (US)     9 / 9  
I've been saying this for months and nobody listened to me
but good job, I didn't know if it worked on the newer windows 7 computers.

USA
katsup or mustard
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » It's Beautiful!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames