You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Compilation of Anterior2's Scenario Design Materials and Other Related Items
posted 12-16-13 02:30 AM EDT (US)   
Welcome to a Compilation of Anterior2's Scenarios, Guides, Recorded Games, and Other Materials!

It is highly likely that you were referred here for either one of my scenarios or a part of my Scenario Design Walkthrough and Guide. If so, you will find what you need in the "Quick Links" section below. If not, have a look under "Table of Contents" and explore the content on offer.

Quick Links

Scenario Design Guide
Scenario Design Walkthrough Part ONE
Scenario Design Walkthrough Part TWO

Scenario Downloads
The Ultimate Colloseum
The Joke Colloseum
Barracks Wars Advanced Edition

Table of Contents

Click the item to jump straight down to it! Due to forum limitations, this may open another instance of this page in another tab and automatically jump down to the section there instead.

~Scenario Design Walkthrough and Guide
~Scenarios
~Recorded Games
~Tools
~Coming Soon
~Miscellaneous
~Statistics
~How to Contact Me

Scenario Design Walkthrough and Guide

Rationale

The idea for this walkthrough series came to me back in early 2013 after having tried to make a map for Portal 2 in Valve's Hammer Editor. It would have been impossible for me without a walkthrough that guided users step by step through everything necessary to make a map in the Hammer Editor. This made me think of the AoE3 Scenario Design community, which is quite small. I wondered, if I made it easier for people to get in to scenario design, would the community grow? The purpose of this walkthrough is to guide new users through the creation of a functional, fun, online ESO compatible scenario. You can read the full story here.

Part ONE

Click here to view Part ONE

This is my first entry in the scenario design walkthrough and guide. It was written in early 2013 and covered the absolute basics of the scenario editor interface. It documents the functions of almost all the buttons you see in the editor and explains the premise of the scenario that this series guides you through building. This part only covers the absolute basics of the interface, and as such might be skippable if you are already familiar with it (but you will still need to read the first half to understand the purpose of the scenario this guide is creating). Note: This was my first ever part of the guide, and therefore might not be as well written as later entries. Furthermore, it relies heavily on images, which might become an issue if the hosting provider goes under.

Part TWO

Click here to view Part TWO

This is the second part of my scenario editor walkthrough and guide. It is a lot longer and more involved than the first part, but still explains all steps in a new-user-friendly manner. It covers map layout planning, gameplay planning, the player's experience, balance considerations, and of course actual map creation and unit placement. This is an essential read for anyone working through the walkthrough.

Part THREE

Coming soon.

Scenarios

Colloseum: Balanced and Fun

Click here to download

There are hundreds of versions of Colloseum floating around on ESO and the downloads section of this site. You probably have five to ten different versions sitting in your scenarios folder right now. So what makes this the definitive, ultimate, and simply the best version of Colloseum around?

Well, it's simple. This version is based on the extended unit set version, and expands and improves on it to the point where it is unparalleled in both balance and fun. This edition disables all the "unfair" mechanics that are present on other versions of Colloseum, like making harbours and boats, and killing the neutral units you move your old coot to. The unit choices are designed to make this playable in Post-Imperial no matter what civilisations are chosen! Notably, the bloodfactories mechanic in this version gives a target for early battles where players are not yet ready to assault the walls. This version also includes the control point mechanic where holding certain sections of the map grants bonus units. The map is perfectly balanced for all players, nobody gets any advantages. This is simply the best version of Colloseum possible for online ESO gameplay. I have yet to see another version of Colloseum come anywhere near to this in terms of balance and fun.

Colloseum Joke Edition

Click here to download

This is a deliberately unbalanced variant of the my Colloseum version described above. Put simply, it is for cheaters! This edition is made to look almost identical to my balanced version (even the file name seems innocent) so your rival players will never suspect what is coming!

This joke edition adds several settlers to the upper right portion of the map (visible only to player one) that the host can delete for certain extra bonuses. Simply select a settler, and press the delete key on your keyboard to activate your special power! You can (among other things) cripple the movement of opposing players' old coots, wipe all units off the map, instantly defeat any one of your rivals, and of course summon up hordes of Ronin and Mediocre Bombards! The best part about all this is that you can choose which cheats you want to deploy and when to do it (and how subtle you want to be about it). You can even play the whole game without cheating if you wish. There is also an extra special surprise that is automatically activated if anyone destroys your command post....

Barracks Wars Advanced Edition

Click here to download

This is a heavily modified version of Barracks Wars. It adds fort walls, saloons, artiliary foundries (only to allow the Ottomans to make Abus Guns for balance reasons), decks, arsenals, and much much more. This is significantly more balanced and fun than the original Barracks Wars. Note: This was one of my first attempts at scenario design. To be honest, it is not quite up to the quality standards that my current works are. The scenario has some key flaws (e.g. no win/loss triggers, units can walk through the gates sometimes, only European civilisations work, etc.) that I am not proud of. It is still a load of fun however, but please keep in mind while playing it that my currents works are much better. I will probably update this scenario at some point in the future.

Recorded Games

Iroquois BB Rushes, 2014 era

Click here to download BB Rush Rec ONE (Won)

Click here to download BB Rush REC TWO (Won)

Click here to download BB Rush REC THREE (Lost)

Click here to download BB Rush REC FOUR (Won)

Click here to download BB Rush REC FIVE (Won)

These are recordings of me doing the classic Iroquois BB rush in 1v1s to rank up fast. I execute it a lot better in the second and fourth recordings (and against a higher ranked opponents too), but still make a few mistakes with my micro. I won three of these recordings in under ten minutes, and I won rec number four after 10 minutes and 10 seconds! I lost rec number three though. Rec number four is the highest ranked player I have recorded winning against with this strategy.

Mid Level Treaty 3v3, 2011 era

Click here to download

This is a rather old treaty recording from back in late 2011. My gameplay was not as refined as it is right now, however I was not as rusty (I no longer play as often as I once did) at the time of this recording. The recording ends abruptly when my team starts winning; this is because the game went out of sync at that point. There is also a thread that goes with it, which pretty much turned into a treaty vs supremacy argument (typical for treaty related threads of that era).

Map: Himalayas- Upper.
Matchup: Me (Corp level 12 at the time, Otto, blue), BiRaNa (Sergeant lvl 15, Russia, red), nemo2000 (Private lvl 3, Otto, green) vs BLOODY_BANASTRE (2nd Lieutenant lvl 20, Otto, yellow), warburger123 (Lance Corp lvl 8, Otto, purple), Chris_Ryan (Corp lvl 11, Russia, teal/light-blue).

Tools

Villager Efficiency Tester

Click here to download

Ever wondered whether seven settlers per mill/plantation is better than ten or not? Ever wondered if the ideal number of gatherers per mill/plantation changes depending on whether you are using settlers, villagers or French CDBs? Ever wondered just how much better settler wagons are than ordinary settlers? Well wonder no longer! This scenario is a versatile, configurable and easily adapted tool for answering questions just like those. It comes with an instructions file that will explain how to use it. The scenario can even be run online with another player to simulate lag (however, never fear, the scenario is designed to stop them from interferring with the testing).

My triggers folder

Click here to download

This is a recommended download before reading part three of my scenario editor walkthrough. The guide will be created under the assumption that everyone reading it has these triggers. The triggers are the most useful ones from the downloads section and forums put together into one easy download. Please note that while this trigger folder contains the vast majority of triggers the average scenario designer might need, there are some types of triggers that were left out to prevent the trigger list from becoming bloated and appearing intimidating to new users (mainly shop triggers are missing, but they can be simply added by downloading the relevant trigger pack and adding it to the folder). Scenarios created with these triggers are fully compatible with online play with people who do not have them.

Coming Soon

Micro Arena: This is the scenario which is being made alongside the Scenario Design Walkthrough. It is a 1v1 test of micro skills involving several battle stages.

An Update to Barracks Wars Advanced Edition: My Barracks Wars flavour was originally made when my scenario design skills were very limited. As such, the scenario is lacking in certain areas and is in need of an update to add win/loss triggers, enable all civilisations by converting buildings based on the one chosen, and fix the bug where units can walk through the fort wall gates.

Scenario Editor Guide Part THREE: This will come with two appendices: an index of all useful triggers, and cool tricks that can be done with triggers (e.g. roll the dice, infinately respawning deletable unit/army, multiplayer selection/shopping, mines and caves, etc.). This final appendix may be broken off in to Part FOUR.

Strategic Arena: This is a scenario where four players choose which units they want to be available to them before the game begins. Each player will have their own economy to manage outside of the battle arena, leading to strategic choices on whether to pick cheap and weak units or expensive and strong ones. Note: This may never be completed. If any well known scenario editors would like to pick up on the project from where I left off, please contact me with the information in the section at the end of this post.

Zombie Destruction: This is a map where the players must hold off hoardes of zombies. Gold is collected per kill and new units can be purchased with it. Note: This may never be completed. If any well known scenario editors would like to pick up on the project from where I left off, please contact me with the information in the section at the end of this post.

Eye-Candy Map: This is to take the form of a scenario "movie" (i.e. camera movements with user input disabled) showcasing a lot of eye-candy. A storyline may be added.

Miscellaneous

Scenario File as at the end of Part TWO of my Walkthrough

Click here to download

This is a recommended download before moving on to Part THREE of my Scenario Editor Walkthrough and Guide. It is the scenario file of the map so far at the end of Part TWO.

Age of Empires One Scenarios

I also create scenarios for the original Age of Empires. None have ever been released. If I ever do complete any of release-quality, I will place them in this section.

Statistics

Number of Files Submitted: 13
Total Number of Downloads: 2181
Average Downloads per File: about 167

Data accurate as at 16th of February, 2015.

How to Contact Me

If you ever need to contact me to ask for help in scenario making, or would like me to clarify or explain anything in this post or any of my other materials, do not hesitate to contact me. You are also welcome to submit feedback through these methods as well as make requests for future content.

There are two methods you can use:

Opening a new thread on these forums: This particular thread (and any other threads I have made) might be archived by the time you view them. To contact me you must therefore go to the AoE3 HeavenGames Forums and make a new thread in either the "General Discussions" section or the "Scenario Design" section. Make sure you get my attention by putting "Anterior2" as one of the first words in the thread title. For example, your thread could be called "Anterior2 I need further help with an aspect of scenario design".

Sending a PM on the official Microsoft Age of Empires Forums: Go to http://www.ageofempires.com/forums/ and then sign in. Then you can view My user profile and click on the "PM" button above where it says "About", "Statistics" etc. Do not click to send an email because I never check that email account and so I will never see what you have sent me.

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!

[This message has been edited by anterior2 (edited 02-15-2015 @ 10:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-16-13 02:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
For Anterior2's Own Reference

There is no need to continue reading beyond this point!

I will be adding other materials here (backups of images, many links) for my own reference.

The forum converts <a href="#misc"></a> to URL tags. The HTML tags must be added in the very last edit to work. Also I may have to replace the anchors with Div IDs to get rid of the hovering-over bug.

Work in progress logo - Backup link

Old Ultimate ESO Scenarios page

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!

[This message has been edited by anterior2 (edited 02-15-2015 @ 11:07 PM).]

posted 02-14-14 00:59 AM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
The thread is now complete!

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A Compilation of Anterior2's Scenario Design Materials and Other Related Items
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames